PSYCOSTEVE

Training Camp Body

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Team:Eagles

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:10 PM

View Postsaltk006, on 09 August 2011 - 11:00 AM, said:

I've always been an Eagles Fan from afar.  I've never lived close to Philly and that has had a set of challenges.  Seeing games, difficulty getting info preinternet, etc, but I was always a fan.  I started in Bills' country and now I live in DC and even though the Redskins arguably have the better history, I find hardly anyone here really cares about them as far as downtown is concerned.  I assume that is because many parts of DC are transient fans who come and go with differing administrations, but at some point there should be a Redskins presence, right?  

My question is I have been living in DC for ten years and all the bars I go to are affiliated with other teams and have multiple bars, but it seems like the Eagles are lacking.  

I know Rino bar in Georgetown used to be good, but it can also be a pain.  Any other DC residents have suggestions?  

And what are your experience being a fan away from Philly?

In Maryland I can recommend some good football/sport bars but none that could be considered Philly bars when the games are televised. The first one is champions in Frederick . I know its a hike from DC but a pale comparison to the South Philly grill but for Maryland it does OK. They have 20 projection screens with all of the NFL games on 2 dollar drafts of yeungling ( note most bars in MD charge yeungling at a premium domestic price ) or 10 for pitchers and like 20 for the towers . The cheese steaks suck a** but most of the other food is pretty good. Being in Frederick there is noting much going on there so driving out can be a hassle so either have a DD or don't get messed up. If you smoke they have a nice patio area with TV’s so you do not miss the game while going out . While there are a huge contingency of other fans most being skins or steelers fans you will find quite a number of Philly fans causing a bit of noise .

The next bar is Poppa Nicks aka the bar area of Sole D Italia . Poppa Nicks is your local neighborhood bar with a couple of flat screens and other low def TV's around. The place has really awesome pub style pizza and good beer prices . Me and my friends are the eagles section of the bar .The cops watch this place like a hawk so getting home is a little tricky at night but parking in the parking lot in the shopping center behind the bar does add a level of safety getting out of there . It is about a 20 min bus ride from the Glenmont metro station ( on the red line ) and about a 10 dollar cab ride out if you decide to go that route.

The last place I am going to talk about is Fast Eddies in DC. Expensive drinks low def TV's and not much of an eagles crowd. The only perk is the strip club next door so if the game starts to suck you can look at some ladies . It is literally in the same building .

Maryland and DC have dying bar scenes so most of the time I go to a friends house or float to a local dive .

#32 saltk006

saltk006

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • Fan Since:1990

Posted 10 September 2012 - 03:17 PM

View PostPSYCOSTEVE, on 06 September 2012 - 10:10 PM, said:

In Maryland I can recommend some good football/sport bars but none that could be considered Philly bars when the games are televised. The first one is champions in Frederick . I know its a hike from DC but a pale comparison to the South Philly grill but for Maryland it does OK. They have 20 projection screens with all of the NFL games on 2 dollar drafts of yeungling ( note most bars in MD charge yeungling at a premium domestic price ) or 10 for pitchers and like 20 for the towers . The cheese steaks suck a** but most of the other food is pretty good. Being in Frederick there is noting much going on there so driving out can be a hassle so either have a DD or don't get messed up. If you smoke they have a nice patio area with TV’s so you do not miss the game while going out . While there are a huge contingency of other fans most being skins or steelers fans you will find quite a number of Philly fans causing a bit of noise .

The next bar is Poppa Nicks aka the bar area of Sole D Italia . Poppa Nicks is your local neighborhood bar with a couple of flat screens and other low def TV's around. The place has really awesome pub style pizza and good beer prices . Me and my friends are the eagles section of the bar .The cops watch this place like a hawk so getting home is a little tricky at night but parking in the parking lot in the shopping center behind the bar does add a level of safety getting out of there . It is about a 20 min bus ride from the Glenmont metro station ( on the red line ) and about a 10 dollar cab ride out if you decide to go that route.

The last place I am going to talk about is Fast Eddies in DC. Expensive drinks low def TV's and not much of an eagles crowd. The only perk is the strip club next door so if the game starts to suck you can look at some ladies . It is literally in the same building .

Maryland and DC have dying bar scenes so most of the time I go to a friends house or float to a local dive .

I decided just to make my own Fan Cave to make things easier.  Dead on with Fast Eddies though.

#33 VaBeach_Eagle

VaBeach_Eagle

EMB Fossil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,642 posts
  • Fan Since:1976

Posted 10 September 2012 - 07:57 PM

I grew up and lived in Riverdale (between College Park on one side and New Carrollton on the other)... I had to live through the Redskins Super Bowl years...<_<

#34 coloradeagle

coloradeagle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:56 PM

I was born and raised in Lancaster County, and split in 89 after h.s.  I go back to visit family once or twice a year and it still amazes me how many Steelers fans there are around there. Come on man, Lancaster is 60 miles from Philly,  and over 200 from the Burgh.  I lived in WV and in Pittsburgh for a while after college - Let's Go, Mountaineers!  Wish The Birds kept Owen Schmitt.
      Anyway,  pittsburgh has nothin on Philly as far as I've experienced - a second tier city with low rent fans compared to an awesome town with the best fans in sports, Big up Philly!  When i lived around the burgh i took a lot of crap from them black and gold fools...  And there's NO backup out there.  I almost got lynched in 97 when the Flyers bounced the pens out of the playoffs, in their house.
     I've been living in Colorado the last 14 years - it's pretty sweet.  I miss all the good food back home - but not the ****ty weather or the traffic.  You see someone out here sporting Philly gear you always stop and talk it up, and the games in Denver are always a big PA turnout.  In Vail there was a bar, Paddy's, that was an Eagles stronghold.  Sadly most of those peeps have lost touch or moved on (miss you Mike/Scranton and Mark/Bear, DE).
     There are many PA transplants out here in CO. I believe it's because so many of us were raised with a love of the outdoors and adventure. The Philly-pburg rivalry lives in the West, too, except when we're bonding over the crap weather back home.  There's a boss Philly bar, Pat's, on Market in Denver. And the cheesteak at TasteOfPhilly on South Broadway is passable. Turkey Hill started distributing here recently - if we could just get Tastycakes and Yeung.  But then i might not get home as often.

#35 angledge

angledge

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Fan Since:1973

Posted 17 October 2012 - 04:42 PM

I'm a lifelong Eagles fan & I have lived away from Philadelphia for (shocked realization) almost a decade now.  I've been in Edinburgh, Scotland - where a local pub owner had married a Philly girl & his pub became the American football/Eagles pub for the city.  Then I lived in San Francisco - where I met a group through meetup.com with whom to watch the Eagles last Super Bowl appearance.  Then I moved to NYC - tons of Eagles fans there (unfortunately far more Giants fans - so obnoxious).  Since 2008, I've lived in Texas - first in Austin, now in Houston.  I used to hang out with the Austin Eagles club but so far I haven't sought out the Houston group.

The worst part about being an Eagles fan away from Philadelphia is not having the general air of anticipation & hype around each & every game.  The City of Brotherly Love bleeds green, y'know?  The City of Houston bleeds.... oil, I guess.  As much as the radio sports jocks drove me nuts when I DID listen to them, now that they're out of range, perversely I miss them.

I am also sick AND tired of hearing about how awful our fans are, how we throw snowballs at Santa, how there's a jail in the basement of our stadium, etc.  But I will cheerfully take on those stereotypes seven days a week - as long as we beat the Cowboys, so I can hold my head high in Texas.

#36 Eagle_Randall

Eagle_Randall

Legalize it, Don't Criticize it

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,470 posts
  • Fan Since:1992

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:46 AM

Living in Houston as a Birds fan is terribly entertaining, to say the least.  Jakes Philly Steaks pulls 75-100 people every week for game day and we have a good core group down here.  The best part of the whole thing is being constantly surrounded by cowboys fans.  I love to talk a little smack and all of the roaches down here keep throwing fuel on the fire.

GO BIRDS!

#37 Eagle_Randall

Eagle_Randall

Legalize it, Don't Criticize it

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,470 posts
  • Fan Since:1992

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:48 AM

View Postangledge, on 17 October 2012 - 04:42 PM, said:

I'm a lifelong Eagles fan & I have lived away from Philadelphia for (shocked realization) almost a decade now.  I've been in Edinburgh, Scotland - where a local pub owner had married a Philly girl & his pub became the American football/Eagles pub for the city.  Then I lived in San Francisco - where I met a group through meetup.com with whom to watch the Eagles last Super Bowl appearance.  Then I moved to NYC - tons of Eagles fans there (unfortunately far more Giants fans - so obnoxious).  Since 2008, I've lived in Texas - first in Austin, now in Houston.  I used to hang out with the Austin Eagles club but so far I haven't sought out the Houston group.

The worst part about being an Eagles fan away from Philadelphia is not having the general air of anticipation & hype around each & every game.  The City of Brotherly Love bleeds green, y'know?  The City of Houston bleeds.... oil, I guess.  As much as the radio sports jocks drove me nuts when I DID listen to them, now that they're out of range, perversely I miss them.

I am also sick AND tired of hearing about how awful our fans are, how we throw snowballs at Santa, how there's a jail in the basement of our stadium, etc.  But I will cheerfully take on those stereotypes seven days a week - as long as we beat the Cowboys, so I can hold my head high in Texas.

jakes philly steaks on game day!  2944 chimney rock  77056.  its on chimney rock between richmond and westheimer

Rock, Houston, Texas 77056

#38 Goose

Goose

Bleeding Green in Buffalo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,927 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:46 PM

It's tough.  I moved to Buffalo at a young age and have lived here since and only watching prime time games is annoying. I also expect our prime time game number to decrease after a terrible year

#39 sameoldsameold

sameoldsameold

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts
  • Fan Since:fr Nixon

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:44 PM

I watched Vick's comeback against the giants from the PRC, sometimes you can get around the censorship of Youtube and actually be able to see some video's. My experience in being a world travel over the decades made me appreciate the internet revolution, as in the eighties I relied on Armed Forces Radio living in Japan, and the internet while living in Southern Mainland China. If one is lucky, one can pick up WIP stream, you can get all the news you need about the eagles and now they have the new 97.5 sports channel, it's just another option to stay current. Living in Florida now, getting Direct TV NFL option is great, you can watch any game on an internet stream, so geography no longer inhibits anyone from being an Eagle fan.

#40 buckets2541

buckets2541

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
  • Fan Since:Born

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:27 AM

I've lived in Chicago but have always been an Eagles fan. When the Eagles suck, it's tough. When the Eagles are awesome, it's awesome!

#41 Shocker54

Shocker54

Remember My Name

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,450 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:51 PM

View Postbuckets2541, on 18 February 2013 - 08:27 AM, said:

I've lived in Chicago but have always been an Eagles fan. When the Eagles suck, it's tough. When the Eagles are awesome, it's awesome!
Just because Chicago and Cherry Hill both start with a C doesn't mean you live in Chicago.

#42 eagle_jim

eagle_jim

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:26 PM

I lived out of the area for 6 years, but moved back in '99.  The positive aspects about being in the area again are the convenience for watching and going to the games and that feeling that you get when the whole metro area has playoff fever.....you know, the point of time when every other story on the news shows young school kids doing Eagles chants or wearing their Phillies shirts to school. :D

I always went to sports bars when I lived in Richmond and Atlanta.  I would much rather watch the games at home, but I actually made more friends living outside of the area because the Philly guys would always watch the games together or be part of a fan club.  To prove how sports brings people together, I was on my honeymoon in St. Maarten and told my wife: "Watch how many people we will meet today just because I'm walking around wearing an Eagles hat."   I must have had 30 people come talk to me and it was the reason for quite a few Eagles chants.  :thumbsup:

#43 Green_Blooded1

Green_Blooded1

Belongs in RnR / Clone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 03:49 PM

Lived outside of the Philly area all my life. I cheer for my eagles every week during the season. My brother says I live on eagletron.  Which is the highest complement I could get from anyone.  Ny was fine Illinois was fine Texas you get some stares and North Carolina was fine too. Go eagles and I hope we win some games this year.

#44 HndtoHnd

HndtoHnd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Fan Since:1987

Posted 31 August 2013 - 05:49 PM

Try being an Eagle fan and liviing in NEW YORK! We're surrounded by hostiles at every corner!

Everytime you leave your car unattended with your logos showing you worry about finding it the same way when you return. Sucks but well worth having a REAL TEAM to follow!

Check out the pics below of NY'ers, in NJ, supporting our Eagles this past week against the "NJ" Jets.

Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image

#45 Dr. VanNostrand

Dr. VanNostrand

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts
  • Fan Since:1976

Posted 05 September 2013 - 12:00 AM

Well since I grew up in East Philly.....OK, I know it is NJ, but it will always be East Philly to me. I feel close enough to Philly that it was natural as a kid to cheer for all Philly teams (Yes Temple/ St. Joes/ Villanova/Drexel/La Salle/Penn as well), plus they were the only games on TV back in the early 70's so it was the only show in town!!!! Back in August 2008 I moved to Maryland (Eastern Shore, near Salisbury). It is not to difficult being an EAGLES fan here (not that I would care!). We are 2-3 hours from DC/Balt/Philly and the fan base is pretty even among the 3 with the occasional evil Steeler and Cowboy fan thrown in. There are a few Colt fans that followed them when they left, but it seems the majority just gravitated towards the Ravens (And most Ravens here still curse the Colts and their owner.....not sure if it is legal for me to say his name in print in this state?).

#46 purephillyfan

purephillyfan

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,513 posts
  • Fan Since:1953

Posted 15 September 2013 - 11:01 AM

Living in Southern MIssouri. Chiefs State since not to many care about the Rams. I have been to Rams games and opposing teams have more fans. Chiefs Arrowhead is a hard place to come for the other teams, a sea of red every Sunday. I grew up in Philly and moved to South Jersey. Raised my sons to be Eagles Fans and my wife. Moved to MIssouri at age 37 and I always hated the Chiefs but have been a Rams fan since early 60's. Now that Andy is coaching the Chiefs, I seem to have found a new interest in the.
  A few Eagles jerseys around here and a local sports bar that draws Bird fans as well. I hated not being able to watch the games but now with the internet it 's not so bad.

#47 28BillBradley

28BillBradley

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts
  • Fan Since:70's

Posted 15 September 2013 - 04:47 PM

I'm from the notorious Richard Allen Homes(60's). I like to give a Shout-Out to all my childhood friends,Stevie, Ricky, Josophine McWilliams, Akie, Neal, Carla, Andre, Bobbie,"Yeah, WHAT-UP" this is Willow of 812 A Alder Place.  I moved away in 1969 but have stuck with the Eagles every since.  Now I live in the Washington D.C. area and I all I get teased about is that the Eagles are the only team in the NFC East Division that hasn't won a Super Bowl.  So, all I can get satisfaction from is head-to-head competition.  Last week was a good week.  Hopeing the Giants loose so that we'll back to where we started last week as far as Divisional Standings, tied wit Dallas.   Richard Allen Projects man, what a hell-hole it turned out to be but, all I have is good memories. Visited recently and the area looks good.  I see former M.C. Wister Elementry School is now some kind of security buliding.  Nineth Street playground still holding on. Although it had several swinming pools, swings, baseball field, merry-go-rounds and even a kid section with smaller swings and play area when I was a kid.  And of course no more Astor Theather where I saw my first movie "Our Man Flint".  But like I said the area looks fine.  Good job Bill (Mr. Cosby).   

#48 NWMontana

NWMontana

Clone of Banned Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,849 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 12:51 PM

Its all Broncos here in MT......

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users