DaveSpadaro

Post Your EMB Questions/Concerns Here

1,641 posts in this topic

In the top right corner, next to view new content, there is a little symbol that looks like the facebook checkin icon. Click that and you can jump to anywhere on the boards.

Its been there all along.

I see it now, thanks. It would be nice if it were at the bottom though like it used to be so you don't have to pull back to the top though. -_-

Let me say this: I appreciate that Invision is pushing the envelope and always trying to improve the user experience. I think that's great. I've worked with a lot of companies that aren't innovative and aren't looking to expand, so having changes to the boards are welcome. It's nothing personal against the users. The truth is we are trying to make the boards great, greater, the greatest. Some of you react with such outrageous venom and take it so personally, rather than understanding that we are trying to improve your experience. At times when this happens, there are going to be some inconveniences which, we feel, will produce better long-term results. So, I'm not angry at Invision at all. The group there has been great to work with. I appreciate the feedback from you, the feedback that was constructive, and we're going to continue to do what we feel is right for the boards, and for the web site in general in terms of content, etc, to benefit YOU and YOUR experience.

you should have let us know in advance that there would be upsets and kinks to iron out, and i put this delicately.

After what happened last April, it makes sense that they didn't announce it. People left the boards then and some never came back. They probably didn't want people getting upset and leaving in droves before this happened. This is nowhere near as bad as last time but it's still disorganized.

Let me say this: I appreciate that Invision is pushing the envelope and always trying to improve the user experience. I think that's great. I've worked with a lot of companies that aren't innovative and aren't looking to expand, so having changes to the boards are welcome. It's nothing personal against the users. The truth is we are trying to make the boards great, greater, the greatest. Some of you react with such outrageous venom and take it so personally, rather than understanding that we are trying to improve your experience. At times when this happens, there are going to be some inconveniences which, we feel, will produce better long-term results. So, I'm not angry at Invision at all. The group there has been great to work with. I appreciate the feedback from you, the feedback that was constructive, and we're going to continue to do what we feel is right for the boards, and for the web site in general in terms of content, etc, to benefit YOU and YOUR experience.

That's all well and good with regard to going through upgrades in general. Maybe that came from an Invision press release.

But, that doesn't answer why basic features disappear during the process. That's a downgrade, Dave.

A. Features like avatars (was finally able to get mine to work today), viewing posts per page, search are gone or broken

B. There was very poor communication about it. People were piecing together info in various forums and threads instead of a central announcement and list of features and what to expect.

C. I still don't see any "upgrades" at all. Just a different look, with some features actually worse and some missing or broken.

You continue to have a problem with users on your site who complain about your site not working, which is only further alienating your fans. It's not our fault a site that was working great has now changed and lost basic features. Look at a site like Facebook: one of their goals is to never be down, ever. They don't want a bad user experience. If they have a problem, they don't tell users to stop being negative or stop complaining. They work to fix it and keep users happy.

1 person likes this

I see it now, thanks. It would be nice if it were at the bottom though like it used to be so you don't have to pull back to the top though. -_-

You dont have to scroll all the way up either.

When you get to the bottom of the page, there is a little circle with an up arrpw in it right in the middle/bottom of the page. You click that and it warps you back tot he top immediately.

i fail to see the relevance of 'we have been coming here for a long time', as far as quality of changes is involved. a new member is as valuable as an old one, in my view. it may not be dave's view, i don't know.

i fail to see where i was saying that feedback wasn't welcome. i voiced my remarks, as everybody else. i just happen to think that there is a way to do this, and my first post today was a manner of telling dave that he hadn't handled that the best way possible, that most definitely invision hadn't, and that we as members hadn't handled that the best way possible either.

as for the 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it', it's good that most things in life don't go by that adage, lest progress would be stymied. geeez.

mine was a peaceful post, with tongue in cheek, managing to say a few sharp truths without hammering them down dave's throat. that's all it was.

communicating on this forum has become harrowing, really. you can't voice an opinion that tries to take into account different sides of a debate, one simply can't. annoying.

I think you're mis-interpreting my comments as being hostile when they're meant to be given in the spirit of friendly conversation. I also may have mis-interpreted your comments about people feeling like they're 'owed' something. I was just pointing out that when feedback is requested, that's when the opinions, both good and bad will flow and that being 'owed' something really doesn't play a part.

As for those people that have been coming here for a decade or so, I think it's understandable for people to get a little attached to something or someplace after they've visited nearly every day for 10 or more years and to be upset when they see what they believe to be changes for the worse being made that alter that place.

Change for the sake of progress isn't always a good thing, like the other old saying goes, "Better is the enemy of best" and just because a company comes out with something that they're calling "better" doesn't mean that you should change something that is already considered the best unless there really is something substantial to be gained.

Like I've said before, I've dealt with Invision for almost a decade and have a really good feel for how they do business when it comes to upgrades and like Dave said, they do a great job in most cases but averaging about 4 'upgraded' versions of the board per year is just too much. Even Microsoft doesn't alter their software that often.

Also take into consideration that this version of the EMB is now the 4th different version in less than a year. There was the pre-April 1 EMB, the April 1 debacle, the post-April 1 version and now this one. That many changes in less than a year is bound to upset a nice sized portion of any group. Especially when there's things lost.

I don't have any kind of stats to verify if this is true or not, but it seems like the board is less active since this latest change. I posted something in ATNFL yesterday and it remained the latest post in there for about 3 hours. 3 hours without any new posts in a forum like ATNFL is pretty unusual even for the off season around here. I'd hate to see "better" destroy "best" by driving people away.

As I said though, the biggest issue that I have, which is a pretty big one for me is the loss of the ability to see which threads we've already posted in. Seems like a small thing, but it's something that I used as an important guide to my daily posting activity. The permanent loss of it would greatly cut down on my activity here.

1 person likes this

Here's some non-negative, constructive feedback and a suggestion for improvement:

When you multi-quote, it crams the quotes together and you have to separate them manually in order to type in between them. The old board used to do this automatically. It would be nice if this new upgraded board did that, too.

Thank you for your time.

Just type in whatever word you want the link shortened to, highlight it, and then click the insert link button and paste in the url. The code is:

[url="http://www.google.com"]Click Here[/url] 

Which results in: Click Here

Thanks IMP. Works fine. I use it in the 411 section.

Email notification of new PMs doesn't seem to be working now.

Any word on any possible fixes yet, or is this just how it's going to be now?

Any word on any possible fixes yet, or is this just how it's going to be now?

1 person likes this

Feedback please ... Search should be working ....

Notification software is working ... anybody still having a problem here?

When I asked about following a user ... I got this response ... I'm not sure what you mean there. Like you can click "Find Content" on any user and you get this: http://ipscustomer.com/screenshots/DaveSpadaro_s_Content_-_Eagles_Message_Board-20120301-132703.jpg

Feedback please ... Search should be working ....

Notification software is working ... anybody still having a problem here?

When I asked about following a user ... I got this response ... I'm not sure what you mean there. Like you can click "Find Content" on any user and you get this: http://ipscustomer.com/screenshots/DaveSpadaro_s_Content_-_Eagles_Message_Board-20120301-132703.jpg

search and find content both work for me.

I dont get any notifications, so couldnt tell you about that one.

Search is working, I haven't gotten any notifications yet to tell if they're working or not but I'll assume for now that they are. In lieu of having an indicator on the threads of whether or not we've posted in it, the "My Content" link helps. I'd still rather have something on the threads like it used to be, but if that never comes back, this will at least help a little.

This is low priority but someone should log into the ACP and change the number of posts that it takes to make a topic "HOT". On a board with as many members and posts as the EMB, 20 posts in a single thread shouldn't make it "HOT". 75 to 100 or even 200 would be better.

Done. Changed to 75. If you think it should be higher let me know

Done. Changed to 75. If you think it should be higher let me know

That makes more sense than 20 posts on a board of this size and activity. It's probably more rare to have less than 20 posts than it is to have at least 20. That would make almost every thread "hot" lol.

what else is working do you mean dave ? ;)

and yes, search is working.

and for instance, the reason i knew you posted was that the email notification reached me. hmmmm ? hmmmm ?

What else needs to be fixed, gang?

the 1 thing I really want to see fixed is still an indicator for which threads we have posted in like we used to have.

I think thats probably the most major feature that we lost and havent gotten back yet.

1 person likes this

There is, as far as I can tell, still no way of distinguishing threads that we've posted in before, and I haven't been able to figure out how to change the number of posts per page either.

1 person likes this

the 1 thing I really want to see fixed is still an indicator for which threads we have posted in like we used to have.

I think thats probably the most major feature that we lost and havent gotten back yet.

There is, as far as I can tell, still no way of distinguishing threads that we've posted in before, and I haven't been able to figure out how to change the number of posts per page either.

This is the main thing I'm hoping gest fixed. The "My Content" link that you can get by clicking your own username at the top right of the forum will give you a listing of all your posts, but having the little star (or whatever the icon is) next to threads that we've already posted in would be far better.

If that gets fixed, then I have no issues left that I'd be inclined to say need 'fixing'.

I think the featureof number of posts per page has been changed to an admin-controlled function, rather than a user-controlled function. Let me check on that and the feature that distinguishes which threads you have posted in before ....