Photo
- - - - -

New Orleans Saints Had Bounty Program

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
162 replies to this topic

#121 Footballman175

Footballman175

EMB Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,075 posts
  • Team:Eagles
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:21 PM

ughhhh big deal.....NFL players signed up for this stuff when they signed that contract. They are professional football players and get hit to do their job

#122 Eagle Jeff

Eagle Jeff

Starter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,307 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:40 PM

Golic's usual meathead, caveman position this morning was predictable.

#123 VaBeach_Eagle

VaBeach_Eagle

EMB Fossil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 56,646 posts
  • Fan Since:1976

Posted 06 March 2012 - 12:42 AM

ughhhh big deal.....NFL players signed up for this stuff when they signed that contract. They are professional football players and get hit to do their job

I'm pretty sure the contracts that they signed have something in them about abiding by the rules of the league... I'm also sure that there's nothing in their contracts that say that opposing coaches will pay their players under the table to intentionally injure them, potentially ending their careers and impacting their health for the rest of their lives.

#124 DrZaius

DrZaius

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts
  • Team:Giants
  • Fan Since:3978

Posted 06 March 2012 - 01:16 AM

I'm pretty sure the contracts that they signed have something in them about abiding by the rules of the league... I'm also sure that there's nothing in their contracts that say that opposing coaches will pay their players under the table to intentionally injure them, potentially ending their careers and impacting their health for the rest of their lives.

That's the thing....this wasn't some players passing around a hat with a jackpot going to whomever got the most tackles.

This was a coach organizing and funding a a competition based on injuring other players.

I like hard-hitting defense as much as the next NFL fan, but that's totally over the line.

Goodell is going to hand out some heavy punishment, and the Dave Duerson lawsuit won't make it any lighter.

#125 fanatik

fanatik

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 11,852 posts
  • Fan Since:1980

Posted 06 March 2012 - 03:21 AM

If I was the commish, I'd give them the death penalty for 3 years ala SMU. Disband the whole team and throw them in the supplemental draft, then make the Saints pay those that went unpicked. They would play the season, but won't be allowed to play in the postseason.

Scatter the players not involved and permanently ban those that were and will be found out about later.

Ban Payton, Williams, and other FO personnel for life also. This is basically gambling, and should not be tolerated.

(null)

#126 1541s31st

1541s31st

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 08:07 AM

My question is why didnt the officials during or the NFL after that NFC championship game dish out some penalties during or fines after?

I have always believed that since the NFL donated less cash to Katrina recovery than some individuals, they donated a Super Bowl victory to New Orleans. Everyone I watched that game with saw them hitting Favre after hand offs. All it would have took is 1 or 2 unnecessary roughness calls to stop that and change the outcome of the game. They wanted the story and the cash flow to revitalize the Saints.

#127 Eagle Jeff

Eagle Jeff

Starter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,307 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 09:33 AM

There is significant public outrage. No one, especially league officials are buying this garbage speeded from dopey former players who are trying to downplay the whole thing. These guys are dopes.

#128 Gmen2005

Gmen2005

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,214 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 09:37 AM

A source close to Goodell said commissioner’s reaction to initial reports in '09: “God forbid this is true. This will be earth-shattering.”

https://twitter.com/#!/SInow/statuses/177034227462832128

Looks like Goodell is going to really hit them hard.

#129 VaBeach_Eagle

VaBeach_Eagle

EMB Fossil

• Members
  • 56,646 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 04:54 PM

The more that comes out about this, the more I think Williams may get banned for life. Deserved or not, the NFL needs to give the perception that they want fair play and they can't let the public believe there's a nod of approval to any kind of bounty system.

I can't imagine Williams getting off with something as little as an 8 game suspension. This thing will follow him for the rest of his career, if he has a career left.

#130 Gmen2005

Gmen2005

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,214 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 06:51 PM

The more that comes out about this, the more I think Williams may get banned for life. Deserved or not, the NFL needs to give the perception that they want fair play and they can't let the public believe there's a not of approval to any kind of bounty system.

I can't imagine Williams getting off with something as little as an 8 game suspension. This thing will follow him for the rest of his career, if he has a career left.

Totally agree. Goodell is going to want to make this something that will never happen again. Wouldn't be surprised to see major repercussions

#131 DrZaius

DrZaius

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 07:58 PM

The more that comes out about this, the more I think Williams may get banned for life. Deserved or not, the NFL needs to give the perception that they want fair play and they can't let the public believe there's a nod of approval to any kind of bounty system.

His defense will be bubble-wrapped by the NFL refs after this.....anything remotely borderline will get flagged.

#132 Captain F

Captain F

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 27,408 posts
  • Fan Since:No Condom

Posted 06 March 2012 - 08:06 PM

I can see..

Williams lifetime ban
Payton 8 game suspension
Loomis fined $500k and 1 year suspension
Vilma 1 year suspension
Any other players directly involved 3-10 game suspensions
Saints lose 2nd round pick this year and 2013 #1 pick
Saints fined 5 million dollars

#133 Gmen4ever

Gmen4ever

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 15,470 posts
  • Fan Since:Conception

Posted 06 March 2012 - 08:38 PM

Its getting worse every day. I think a simple slap on the wrist is now an impossibility, and you could very well be correct about a lifetime ban. That was my hope from the very beginning, when all of this stuff came to light. I've never liked the guy because all of his teams had an element of dirtiness to them. There is no room in the game for that kind of play, especially since the NFL is trying to hard to convince everyone that safety is their biggest concern. Anything less than a MAJOR beatdown from Goodell would be the biggest double standard of all time, and no one would ever take him(Goodell) seriously again.

#134 Eagle Jeff

Eagle Jeff

Starter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,307 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:56 PM

Sources close to the team are likening the atmosphere around the team over the last few seasons to that of an italian organized crime syndicate (mafia).

Former athletes like Mike Golic and Brian Mitchell are making complete asses of themselves and should be terminated by their respective networks effective immediately. Colin Cowherd went on record to saying that people do not tune into football to see violence. It's a baseless inference made by dumb former players.

Admins on Saints message boards are blocking all applicants showing non-Louisiana IPs thus revealing that their fans are just as fillthy, disgusting, and cowardice as their favorite team.

#135 wrestlevessel

wrestlevessel

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 11:31 AM

I'm surprised no one accused the Giants of this behavior. They are always knocking out opposing QB's.

#136 VaBeach_Eagle

VaBeach_Eagle

EMB Fossil

• Members
  • 56,646 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 03:57 PM

I'm surprised no one accused the Giants of this behavior. They are always knocking out opposing QB's.

They're better at faking injuries than causing them though.

#137 AP

AP

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 20,859 posts
  • Fan Since:1492

Posted 07 March 2012 - 03:59 PM

Sources close to the team are likening the atmosphere around the team over the last few seasons to that of an italian organized crime syndicate (mafia).

Former athletes like Mike Golic and Brian Mitchell are making complete asses of themselves and should be terminated by their respective networks effective immediately. Colin Cowherd went on record to saying that people do not tune into football to see violence. It's a baseless inference made by dumb former players.

Admins on Saints message boards are blocking all applicants showing non-Louisiana IPs thus revealing that their fans are just as fillthy, disgusting, and cowardice as their favorite team.

What they are doing is saving themselves a million headaches that they would get from opposing fans. It actually makes sense. If you were an admin of a board would you want to deal with all the horse**** that would happen on it from that?

#138 Gmen4ever

Gmen4ever

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 15,470 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 04:09 PM

I'm surprised you're still alive. That Super Bowl must have been fun to watch at your house :roll:

#139 VaBeach_Eagle

VaBeach_Eagle

EMB Fossil

• Members
  • 56,646 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 04:51 PM

I'm surprised you're still alive. That Super Bowl must have been fun to watch at your house

As an opposing fan of the winning team, it sucks to see them win but it was a really good game.

#140 gibsonplyer

gibsonplyer

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 10,229 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 05:23 PM

I can see..

Williams lifetime ban
Payton 8 game suspension
Loomis fined $500k and 1 year suspension
Vilma 1 year suspension
Any other players directly involved 3-10 game suspensions
Saints lose 2nd round pick this year and 2013 #1 pick
Saints fined 5 million dollars

Pretty much what I'm thinking/hoping for. They have to make it so no one will even think about doing this again.

#141 DrZaius

DrZaius

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 05:44 PM

Its getting worse every day. I think a simple slap on the wrist is now an impossibility, and you could very well be correct about a lifetime ban. That was my hope from the very beginning, when all of this stuff came to light. I've never liked the guy because all of his teams had an element of dirtiness to them. There is no room in the game for that kind of play, especially since the NFL is trying to hard to convince everyone that safety is their biggest concern. Anything less than a MAJOR beatdown from Goodell would be the biggest double standard of all time, and no one would ever take him(Goodell) seriously again.

A message has to be sent.

Injuries just suck.....it hurts the team, and it hurts the overall product on the field. Football is violent enough when you play within the rules.

#142 VaBeach_Eagle

VaBeach_Eagle

EMB Fossil

• Members
  • 56,646 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 06:25 PM

I'm starting to think that Sean Payton should no longer be permitted to work in the NFL. He knew what was happening and did nothing to stop it, being the head coach, that makes him ultimately the coach that was responsible for what happened.

Their GM should also no longer be permitted to be employed in the NFL since he knew what was going on. At least the owner tried to take steps to stop it.

#143 Eagle Jeff

Eagle Jeff

Starter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,307 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 07:21 PM

What they are doing is saving themselves a million headaches that they would get from opposing fans. It actually makes sense. If you were an admin of a board would you want to deal with all the horse**** that would happen on it from that?

I think it shows an extreme level of cowardice and also suggests that Saints feel the organized crime syndicate who they root for is beyond reproach. They're also probably all on suicide watch as the uncomfortable reality settles in day by day. That uncomfortable reality is that there SB is TAINTED. They jobbed the Cardinals, they jobbed the Vikings. They're SB is more tainted than Barry Bonds' home run record.

Saints fans have always been pretty sheepish to begin with and their head coach has been sleezy, shady, and slimy and everyone of his stops. The Buck stops here. Mr Goodell will be acting as judge, jury, and executioner.

#144 fanatik

fanatik

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 11,852 posts
  • Fan Since:1980

Posted 07 March 2012 - 07:54 PM

As much as I think the NFL needs to and will come down on this, if I was a Saints fan, I'd say that the Lombardi was worth what's about to happen to them.

Which is what I believe the commish should make it the first in NFL history to strip them of their trophy because of who they beat (Peyton Manning).

#145 Gmen2005

Gmen2005

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,214 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:00 AM

Which is what I believe the commish should make it the first in NFL history to strip them of their trophy because of who they beat (Peyton Manning).

That would definitely be a massive hit. The way Goodell has been I wouldn't be surprised to see something along those lines. Maybe not stripping them of their trophy but something incredibly huge.

#146 VaBeach_Eagle

VaBeach_Eagle

EMB Fossil

• Members
  • 56,646 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 04:17 PM

The only thing that I could see a trophy being taken away for would be clear cut, publicly proven and widely known about cheating during the Super Bowl.

#147 Gmen4ever

Gmen4ever

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 15,470 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 12:06 PM

Look at this crap; It's directly from Drew Brees himself. The team, Sean Payton, and Mickey Loomis have publicly acknowledged that something was definitely going on, and that there was a bounty program. The NFL found it, and has evidence of it, and all of this has been known for several days. Brees just posted this ish yesterday, and is still trying to say he didn't know it was happening for 3 years. I've been saying it for years that he's an arrogant scumbag and people flamed me for it. Still want to defend a guy that will stand behind such a blatant lie, even though the facts are already out there?

This has been an eventful offseason for me and my family. Brittany and I would like to thank all of you for the thoughtful words and well wishes since we announced that baby boy #3 is on the way. While we were all disappointed with the way the season ended, the offseason has given us the opportunity to reflect back on what was a truly memorable year. It has also given me the opportunity to enjoy some much needed quality time with my family.

I do feel a responsibility to my teammates, the Saints organization and to the fans, to address the "Bounty" allegations.

There is no place in the National Football League, or any sport played at any level, for players to conspire, to be coerced, or to be incentivized to intentionally injure another player. I did not participate in any Bounty program, nor did I have any knowledge relating to its real existence. I have spent the last several years as an Executive Committee Member of the NFLPA making health and safety a priority and I am proud of the advancements we've made and will continue to make.

As a leader of our football team, I feel comfortable in stating that I know well the integrity of our organization from the ownership level, to management, our head coach, and the players on our team. We, as Saints players, pride ourselves on playing this game with honor and hold ourselves to a very high standard. We also share a great sense of responsibility to our community and to each other, a strong belief in our purpose, a resiliency to overcome adversity and a work ethic and commitment to leave things better than we found them.

The accusations and perceptions alone created by this issue make us feel like we should all apologize to the young people that love our game and aspire to be in our shoes. Regardless of the outcome of the "bounty" issue, we owe it to them to provide the best example of how to behave as professionals and more importantly, as people of integrity.

To our fans, please reserve judgment until the investigation is complete and the facts in their entirety are known. We are all working diligently to find the truth in this matter and if the facts prove there was improper behavior, we will hold ourselves accountable. Until that time, we will stand together and remain united as an organization.

Thank you for your support.

Drew

#148 AP

AP

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 20,859 posts
  • Fan Since:1492

Posted 10 March 2012 - 12:45 PM

That's bad. Drew was one of the few players on the Saints that I still had respect for. That statement smells the stench of a used car salesman trying to pass off a lemon as a great deal. Goodell better nip this in the bud big time.

#149 Eagle Jeff

Eagle Jeff

Starter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,307 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:45 AM

NFL network ran a piece of the criminal enterprise. They brought up the Vicodin thing from a couple years ago. The commish needs to completely clean house.

#150 ChrisWins51

ChrisWins51

Training Camp Body

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 11:26 AM

You know I don't care if they were giving out bounties for Illegal hits then that is different but to cry about legal hits in football is ludicrous I mean do you not want big hits any more? Do you not want players to make contact? Rewarding a player for a good hit on a star player is a good thing it keeps this elevation system these owneres and the commisioner want to set in place, where we praise The QB and jeer everyone else on the field. If you want **** calls and soft demeanors then go to a baseball or basketball game, I applaud the saints if the hits rwarded were legal.