[News] Expect Minimal Bang In Free Agency

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
93 replies to this topic

#1 DaveSpadaro

DaveSpadaro

EMB Legend

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,584 posts
  • Team:Eagles

Posted 06 March 2012 - 12:54 AM

It is just a feeling I get, having been around the Eagles throughout this offseason, wondering the strategy, that free agency is going to be more of a whimper than a scream starting next Tuesday ...

View the full article

#2 cunninghamtheman

cunninghamtheman

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,036 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 12:57 AM

Bounty I love it

#3 CouldCareLess

CouldCareLess

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,242 posts
  • Fan Since:1996

Posted 06 March 2012 - 01:48 AM

how is adding a practice squad player from another team going to create competition?  Our LB are not even worth being on the field as starters, so brining in people just as bad as them only does one thing, and that is make the actually already bad Eagle starting Lb'ers look good...... if building confidence is what this is, then lord help us because our Lb'ers need a whole lot more then that (some 1000 tackling practices and practice on getting off of a block).  All i can say is sign mathis, look at what some vet LB'ers on the market are asking for, and go out and draft some young talent and not some individual drafted at a position he shouldnt of been drafted at (looks at watkins).  

p.s. i would really love to see RG3 wearing that Eagles helmet =d

#4 ndirish5567

ndirish5567

EMB Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,609 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 02:25 AM

Well, if they don't go out and sign a quality MIKE linebacker then I'd also expect to be introducing yourself to a new head coach in 2013 Dave. Curtis Lofton should be the biggest priority and perhaps the only priority this team has in free agency.

#5 Tommy J

Tommy J

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 06:44 AM

Typical Eagles-like move....a guy who was a rush LB asked to play in a system he isn't used to.  More of the same at LB I'm afraid.  Lordy break out the booze

#6 THE KID (WI)

THE KID (WI)

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts
  • Fan Since:Buddy Ball

Posted 06 March 2012 - 07:24 AM

Two things that will remain constant...Reid will do whatever he wants with no accountability and Spadaro will always be non-critical of the Eagles moves...cannot blame him, he's employed by the Eagles.

#7 eagleyankfan

eagleyankfan

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 07:24 AM

"but I will go with a linebacker or two, maybe a safety, perhaps a defensive lineman or two, some depth on offense and a kickoff return man -- and the draft is where the Eagles hope to fill most of them."

Funny --- a few weeks ago YOU said the Eagles can't just go and get up the middle help on defense and everything will be fine ... but here you are --- picking up the middle players.

Either you have a short term memory or you wing it.  Either way is fine, I'm just pointing out you are pulling a 180 from a previous article.

#8 eagleyankfan

eagleyankfan

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 07:27 AM

now now - The Kid - A few years ago Dave would have printed out a full article dedicated to Simmons and how great of a move this is.  He's much more relaxed now.  Eagles are starting LB's that wouldn't start on other teams.  Grabbing another LB, who wasn't even on a roster last year, is just a "camp body".  Eagles will lose players and add players.  That's all this guy is.  Maybe he's a good special team player or something.

#9 eagleyankfan

eagleyankfan

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 07:35 AM

Ok, say the Eagles draft a LB/Safety, maybe even a DT with 3 picks(assuming they don't trade those picks).  The odds of all 3 or even 2 being "helpful" this year?  Very low.  Odds of 1 of them being helpful is low.  If I'm reading you right, you're saying no help is coming via free agency at the "problem" spots.  AR is in a year "with so much riding" on his performance and he's not improving this team?  Doesn't make sense to me ... I expect 1 signing of importance via draft - more than a "knees wet" kind of thing...

#10 THE KID (WI)

THE KID (WI)

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts
  • Fan Since:Buddy Ball

Posted 06 March 2012 - 08:18 AM

Point well taken eagleyankfan LOL

But seriously, I love how Spadaro (and others) just think that if we roll this same team out there all will be fine cuz we have a full offseason...umm, did you see this team play last year?

I know it's not the Reid way...but based on last year everybody should have to fight for their job...EVERYBODY.

#11 brizer12

brizer12

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,178 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 08:45 AM

Cranky,.yanky,...yankeesuk,!!!!..although you know,..they are my B/U team due to my heritage. Anyway,..regarding yur Spuds stuff. Methinks you are taking liberties with what he says,..and make assumptions that are not warranted. This is the new NFL,.where depth may be as important as pure,.raw talent. I get a chuckle out of some nitwits here don't factor in the probability that many of our young players will improve,..and actually improve dramatically. Teams can change drastically from one year to the next. Even a dang idgit knows that.......PERK UP!,.......GK.

#12 Sir Real

Sir Real

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,638 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 08:54 AM

Good to see that so far only one poster is reacting as if the FO thinks the Simmons signing means anything. The rest of us know better. He's a TC Roster Filler, period. He wasn't signed as the savior of the backfeild.

#13 brizer12

brizer12

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,178 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 09:19 AM

Surreal,..one day ,..and that day may never come,.yul realize that a LB is not considered "the backfield". Moreover,..who annointed Simmons as savior? Much adieu about a minor part of this team...that said,..have you ever seen him play?....I didn't think so.

#14 afra3250

afra3250

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 09:35 AM

I dont know about you fellas, but I cant wait for the draft party at the Linc... It will be so much fun to hang out and watch teams draft awesome players. Then the moment we will all have waited 2 hours for, the Eagles picking 15th... trade out of the first round so that we can have 4 selections in the 2nd!

Spudzilla)) Do you know if everyone will be invited back for the following night for rounds 2-3 when we actually pick players??

#15 eagleyankfan

eagleyankfan

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 09:36 AM

true words bizarro --- there has to be some expectation of improvement over poor play last year at LB.  I'll counter that with the Eagles have been trying for years to fine a LB in the middle.  Those player never improved from year to year.  No expectations that anyone currently on the roster will do that in 2012.  Falcons dont have a top 50(55?) pick.  Eagles have 3 of them.  Do a sign and trade with Lofton.  Eagles need 1 "big" upgrade on D.  That's not asking a lot.

#16 eagleyankfan

eagleyankfan

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 09:40 AM

I still think AR is under the gun.  Even if it's only 1 move - AR will make a move for a solid player on D.  Maybe a move up on the draft to get one, maybe a trade, or maybe he calls the Mathews kid in GB to kick some sense into Mathews-lite...but something will be done.  Spuds - do you play LB?

#17 eagleyankfan

eagleyankfan

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 09:41 AM

March = baseball.  EF March madness.  Yanks-Phils -- WS!  Get your tickets now.

#18 the milkman

the milkman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Fan Since:1988

Posted 06 March 2012 - 09:52 AM

Who is Monte Simmons? And where is Carmen Sandiago? Also, where's Waldo?

#19 brizer12

brizer12

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,178 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 09:55 AM

Cranky,..the Eagles "luck" with LBs is legendary. There is no rational explanation and has to pang any self appointed Eagles fan. I went on board with Lofton awhile ago,.and suspect the Eagles to be players. TBT,..competition for his services will be intense. EVERGREEN will do their best to sign him. There are no guarantees in this NFL market. Intelligent people knows this,..dopes just whine. Whoswiffme?.........btw,..see ya at the Phitens Broad st parade!!!!......GK.

#20 jwood5151

jwood5151

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,495 posts
  • Fan Since:1957

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:09 AM

Minimal Bang. No surprise. Eagles have decided that the 2011 team was pretty good--just not quite ready for 2011. Cut the turn overs in half and see what happens. Steady fine-tuning usually nets more than drastic changes. Looks like team is focused on back half of the roster and improving the quality of the back-ups. No argument there.

#21 pace7525

pace7525

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts
  • Fan Since:1992

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:14 AM

mock draft.
1)Kuchley
2)Boykin
2)Curry
3)Rainey
4)Carder
5)potter
6)QB)
6)DT

#22 Hamhox

Hamhox

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,574 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:24 AM

I'll repost this, since the website and/or intranets were on the fritz yesterday:

"THIS JUST IN :

"SI's Peter King believes the Eagles could make a play for the Rams' No. 2 overall pick to select Baylor QB Robert Griffin III.

The Eagles have been floated as a dark-horse in the RGIII sweepstakes since Rams COO Kevin Demoff told King St. Louis had received a "feeler" from a team "you would never expect."

Whoooaaaaa Nellie !"

As we all know,...Peter King and Jef Lurie have had a long relationship where they share valuable and private information back and forff (a.k.a. confederates)....so this should not be taken lightly !!!

It has been said, that the Eagles are now in a race for RG3 with the Redskins, and that it shouldn't suprise anyone that the Eagles would AGRESSIVELY try and aquire a unique talent at QB, that has all the tools and smarts, to be THE NEXT BIG THING !

The question is, what do we have to give up ?  Thoughts ?

#23 tboned208

tboned208

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:33 AM

great reporting Hoxingsly....RG3 gonna be an EAGLE ....WOWS..I have to change my macher now...

#24 afra3250

afra3250

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:33 AM

hOX....

That picture gets me everytime, entertaining stuff fo' sho'!

Word is that we are going to trade, Asante, and our 2013, 2014, AND 2015 first round picks for RG3. I feel like thats a great deal! The Eagles should definitely be giving up more than that for a future 5 time super bowl champion quarterback!

#25 brizer12

brizer12

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,178 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:40 AM

Afro,..you are a funny guy,...and his hair,.was perfect!!!

#26 Hamhox

Hamhox

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,574 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:44 AM

Afro,....That's a lot of ammo for RG3,...but I have found NO documentation, stating that what you've said isn't true !!!

However, packaging some currently players we already have, may let us keep ALL of our first rounders.

The group of players COULD include DeSean, Asante, Winston, Laws, Juqua Parker, Vince Young, Mike Kafka....and a few others.

A combination of some of the above players, plus, what, a second round pick, may be able to get it done !

There have been reports out there, none of which contradict what I have reported above, or below.

#27 Hamhox

Hamhox

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,574 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:47 AM

Oh yeah,....and don't be suprised if we draft Stephen Hill as well,.....to be RG3's go-to guy, for the next 10 years.

Hill, RG3, and Shady would be the most athletic trio in league history.  With guys like Maclin and (Djax maybe), and Celack, it would be a potent attack !!!

#28 wibinga

wibinga

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:52 AM

I think we should trade Desean and Asante and pick up Colston in Free Agency.  He's still available, right?  You free up some cash to re-sign Mathis and still be able to add a LB in free agency.  That takes care of our "big" WR and our LB needs.  The rest you can fill in the draft.

#29 JeromeBrown99

JeromeBrown99

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:55 AM

BACK DOOR MAN!

Men dont know.... little girl... understand.

#30 JeromeBrown99

JeromeBrown99

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:56 AM

Wibingay))) Shut up!