Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DaveSpadaro

[News] Eagles Disciplined With Plan

252 posts in this topic

>bleeding: Trent Cole was an AR era draft pick. I do agree with your assessment that generally in the AR era, the DL early round draft picks have been disappointing. Hoping Washburn makes something of the players given to him. And, also hope the DL get an infusion of talent at DT and DE--cause it's sorely needed. Juqua Parker was an "all around" DE. With age his productivity and reps declined--but he is considered a loss by me. I don't hold oout much hope for significant improvement in Eagles D---Juan Castillo is a 2nd year defensive coach with no background as a defensive assistant. He will get "schooled" early and often by play-off caliber teams--especially in RZ. Beefing up the LB is a simplistic idea. Eagles D issues go to the foundation of this club = AR himself and who he drafts. Castillo's D is a muddle (or a work in progress): how do you draft for that? High priced LB free agents will be just as muddled as the high priced DB FAs were last season. YO BRIZER: I am still expecting a "CLUNKER" of a 2012.

>etradervic: Eagles defense appears to be moving away from the Jim Johnson model. Can't really judge what it is yet. AR & JC appear to emphasize penetrating DL players to disrupt the play and force an early, errant pass or a rusher to charge course into waiting tacklers. We saw the D get run over by rushing on occasion. We saw passes completed against a pass rushing DL. We saw miserable RZ performance. I think the biggest issue is RZ performance for the D. I don't think a prime LB or even 2 solves that ...but I am always ready for an upgrade. The D seems intended to have the DL and DBs as playmakers.

Mr Woodcock,..you know you side stepped yur big blowhard like mouf by NOT putting yur money down wiff a real prediction,.since you DECLARED that last season will be viewed as a wonderful year compared to this year. So,..unless you decide to step to the plate and give the BORED what was asked,..and yes,. we'll accept a range /- 1,....fermez la bouche and I would prefer that you not address yur GK.,..until that time. TYIA.

Ok honestly, wth are the eagles doing?! Tulloch and Fletcher are still out there! Benjarvus Green-Ellis is still out there! Burress is still out there! Get something going Reid, OMG! Stop relying so much on the draft.

etradervic

>the same inadequate defense

How do you define 'inadequate'?

>We are not going to the SB with 2/3 of a defense.

You might want to tell that to the New England Patriots. Now, obviously they're THE exception, but it's unfair to point out one part of the team and say it's the cause of all failures. It's NEVER that simple, no matter how many people want to make it seem that way. Did the Giants have overwhelming talent when they won? 9-7 certainly doesn't say a lot of dominance. Heck, the Packs and the Vaginats were crippled before the season even started. They were far from inadequate. Your impatience and dissatisfaction are the cause of your concerns. I can't promise you anything about the FO, but I can happily wait it out and see what they do next.

1 person likes this

buress isnt coming to philly. did you guys not watch espn tonight? he signed with the bengals today. so get over it. and go sign fletcher at lber. thats all we need any way

Where did you see Plex signed with the Bengals? I can't find any report on it...perhaps Hammy started another RUMOR.

why are people crying about a defense that was 8th overall in the league with a rookie coordinator...and weak DT's...imagine what the defense would be with one more LB and DT...dervic fletcher is 37 and is playin in 3-4...his speed gets hidden hes like tekeo spikes is right now but a step faster....thats still pretty slow. Tulloch after doing some research is the guy...i liked lofton but hes a downhill guy....tulloch is great in coverage aswell as on the run...the reason our linebackers are trash isnt cuz we dont get enough free agents, its cuz they wont use high picks and mold players....thats how you win superbowls mold and team and buy some pawn pieces to fill the gaps...this isnt the yankees.

I think we can all agree that Juan Castillo was 1) inexperienced 2) overwhelmed 3) clueless at times 4) unable to adjust on the fly due to point 1. Part of me think that's why we didn't go after a linebacker last season. Perhaps Juan thought we were fine. I think he has learned from his mistakes.

As much pressure as he has been under last season, he persevered and actually did very well on his first season. It's never easy when you're moving from one position to another, and when you have a short offseason with a gang of new guys coming in, you're making a difficult task into a nearly impossible task.

I wish people who are impatient with the decades of futility to not put it all on Juan. Like I said, I support him 100% and I will judge him only on his upcoming performance. The draft will be key, but I think he WILL go after guys in free agency for linebackers. IF it doesn't happen (before the draft), then I do believe they have something else in mind. Now, I know my first reaction and as does most of you, will be to mock him for how stupid he must be for not signing anyone. But, I will deal with that issue when it arrives.

Funhouse,..i liked Tulloch a few years back. How much did you see him play last year? The games I saw,..and I paid attention to him,cuz..i kinda liked him,.and Ceelliick,.too,..he kinda suked,.surprisingly. I'm more interested in Lofton,.despite his non wide 9 experience .as Tully has. That said,...i'm ok wiff tully,.if EVERGREEN selects that route.

i only like tulloch more cuz hes been really good in coverge as well....i saw him play last season too i didnt feel like he was an elite player but was very good at times...i personally though chaney looked a bit better but its an upgrade and depth....chaney can move around....bottom line we need 3 solid LB's on the field i dont care if in the first 2 round of the draft or free agency....i dont want a rent a player.

juan did better than rob ryan last season

Eagles sign Mathis, 5 years $25 Mil.

1 person likes this

In this trendy, copycat league, I think I see a rush to all-out passing offenses, with multiple receivers and TE's. To off-set this kind of game, a very solid running game is vital. Controlling the clock....and striking quickly....to control the scoreboard is how to dominate. The final element is scoring TD's not FG's. It looks to me like where the Eagles are headed.

Mathis signed...5 years..nice.

Continuity ....key to this year success . .....now get shady and Mac hooked up and look toward to the draft

DR. Dunk...our GK took Chains in his Macher...fully knowing he can move...

1 person likes this

With Mathis in the fold, the top, of my Macher has changed...again.

Woody...the RB out of Temple, Pierce, put up a very good pro-day. 4.34 40 at 6 feet and 218. He has power, size and speed. I would take him in the 3rd round, if we don't, look out for the Giants.

2 people like this

WOW 3D just looked at some Pierce highlights he looks nice he had nice burst good power quick feet would be a great RB to add to r backfield

I see the G nats making a pitch for Trent,.if he falls. The second ranked guy,..also is in play.

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOO glad to see mathis coming back as longs as r Oline stays heathly we have one of the best in the NFL

Glad Mathis is back...

Go Eagles.

>>Funt & Gang Green: Acknowledging that Castillo is a hard worker and a great guy. However, he is way way behind the curve as a DC. Eagles stats as 8th defensively are so much BS. A better yardstick is the vulnerable RZ. Even with three DBs that could start on any team in the NFL: Juan's defense was toothless. All this talk about not enough talent at LB is a mere 1/2 truth. Most positions could be upgraded, LB s no exception. Eagles STUNK AT BASICS like communication and tackling. Often they all were not on the same page..thats not a talent deficit. That's a coordinator and coaching deficit. And, Juan's squad spent too much time of the field being vulnerable--because Marty's squad could maintain possession or turned it over ( in the RZ).

Meanwhile the FO is doing right by the players: great job with Mathis!! Glad to see Eagles are prioritizing their own.