Jump to content


- - - - -

SAINTS JUST GOT SMACKED


This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
279 replies to this topic

#61 Gimpy

Gimpy

    EMB Legend

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,498 posts
  • Team:Eagles

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:38 PM

View PostE v 2.0, on 21 March 2012 - 01:35 PM, said:

The Patriots literally fixing the NFL was WAY more serious than this.

Unbelievable the double standard here. Wow!!!

I'm not sure about that. They had videotapes, but I don't know that it really swung any games.

On the other hand, even if it did, I don't think that football games are more important than the health/lives of the people playing them.

#62 TheSilence

TheSilence

    Ryan to Roddy: Touchdown!

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,015 posts
  • Team:Falcons

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:38 PM

View PostSolomon, on 21 March 2012 - 01:33 PM, said:

It really won't matter in the end, Falcons cruise into the playoffs and choke.

Again.

But F that gif is hilarious :lol:
They didn't choke, they were outcoached. Those coaches have been replaced. Mularkey said after he took the Jags job that he knew we were going to lose that game. ...what the F kind of coach thinks that way? He's a born loser.

#63 Machine

Machine

    EMB Fossil

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,178 posts
  • Location:East Coast
  • Team:Eagles
  • Fan Since:Born

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:39 PM

View PostE v 2.0, on 21 March 2012 - 01:35 PM, said:

The Patriots literally fixing the NFL was WAY more serious than this.

Unbelievable the double standard here. Wow!!!
Pretty much this.  If the truth had come out about that, the damage the NFL took would have been devestating so it was hush hush, and now with the way he wants to protect the players and that message is out there, he is trying to prove how serious they are about protecting players and how they don't condone that type of activity. So it's actually GOOD PR to deal out the punishment and bring to light what was happening. It's BAD PR to say, oh, sorry, St. Louis, Carolina, Philadelphia and all the teams the Pats beat in the AFC playoffs, they were cheating but theres nothing we can do.

#64 rich36

rich36

    EMB Legend

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,405 posts
  • Location:westchester NY
  • Team:Giants

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:39 PM

View PostE v 2.0, on 21 March 2012 - 01:36 PM, said:

Well I feel the Eagles will win more than 8 games this yr again. So that pretty much eliminates the Giants anyway.

Ha!
Nice.
However, the Giants should win double figures. 10-12. Eagles doing better than that? With Vick? Doubtful.

#65 E v 2.0

E v 2.0

    EMB's version of Zeus

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,991 posts
  • Location:Sin City
  • Team:Eagles

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:41 PM

View PostGimpy, on 21 March 2012 - 01:38 PM, said:

I'm not sure about that. They had videotapes, but I don't know that it really swung any games.

On the other hand, even if it did, I don't think that football games are more important than the health/lives of the people playing them.
They new what was coming 75% of the plays. That's fixing games. There was more to it than just tapes. It was a system.

They fixed the NFL. Guys trying to injure guys they were already trying to injure anyway isnt even as close to as important to the NFL being fixed IMO.

#66 Machine

Machine

    EMB Fossil

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,178 posts
  • Location:East Coast
  • Team:Eagles
  • Fan Since:Born

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:41 PM

View PostGimpy, on 21 March 2012 - 01:38 PM, said:

I'm not sure about that. They had videotapes, but I don't know that it really swung any games.

On the other hand, even if it did, I don't think that football games are more important than the health/lives of the people playing them.
In all seriousness, player safety vs. outcome of games, player safety wins every time, so yea. It's more "serious" but from a PR standpoint, its a much more serious issue to have Championships with *'s next to them because of cheating. I guarantee there would have been a lot more fans losing interest if that had come to light.

This whole Saints situation goes along with what Goodell's been trying to do now for a while and he's making an example of them to say.  "Hey we're the good guys, we dont' condone that type of behavior"

#67 E v 2.0

E v 2.0

    EMB's version of Zeus

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,991 posts
  • Location:Sin City
  • Team:Eagles

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:41 PM

View Postrich36, on 21 March 2012 - 01:39 PM, said:

Ha!
Nice.
However, the Giants should win double figures. 10-12. Eagles doing better than that? With Vick? Doubtful.
Meh...

#68 PHeagles36

PHeagles36

    Hall-of-Famer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,631 posts
  • Location:CT
  • Team:Eagles
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:41 PM

View Postrich36, on 21 March 2012 - 01:39 PM, said:

Ha!
Nice.
However, the Giants should win double figures. 10-12. Eagles doing better than that? With Vick? Doubtful.

yeah its not like they did that with vick 1 year ago.

#69 Machine

Machine

    EMB Fossil

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,178 posts
  • Location:East Coast
  • Team:Eagles
  • Fan Since:Born

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:43 PM

View PostE v 2.0, on 21 March 2012 - 01:41 PM, said:

They new what was coming 75% of the plays. That's fixing games. There was more to it than just tapes. It was a system.

They fixed the NFL. Guys trying to injure guys they were already trying to injure anyway isnt even as close to as important to the NFL being fixed IMO.

I remember clear as day screaming at the TV  "HOW DO THEY KNOW TO KEEP RUNNING SCREENS ?!?!" They were running them like 5 times in a row, because they knew what defense was coming.  It just so happened to be in the second half, which is after they reviewed the footage.

#70 TheSilence

TheSilence

    Ryan to Roddy: Touchdown!

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,015 posts
  • Team:Falcons

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:45 PM

View Postrich36, on 21 March 2012 - 01:31 PM, said:

And the Giants' kryptonite has been neutralized. This is definitely good news for their prospects of repeating...

:thumbsup:
What about the team that should have won in the Championship? You know, the one that added Randy Moss and Mario Manningham to their offense? The NFC is stacked, Giants barely made it in and just got hot at the right time.

#71 evilwaldo

evilwaldo

    If you see something, say nothing, and drink to forget.

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 57,961 posts
  • Location:Kingston, PA
  • Team:Eagles

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:45 PM

View PostE v 2.0, on 21 March 2012 - 01:41 PM, said:

They new what was coming 75% of the plays. That's fixing games. There was more to it than just tapes. It was a system.

They fixed the NFL. Guys trying to injure guys they were already trying to injure anyway isnt even as close to as important to the NFL being fixed IMO.

Guys don't try to injure other guys.  If they do then they should not be playing the game.

Everyone knows what plays Andy is calling because he has not changed the playbook for 14 years.  So what is the big deal.  Everyone can figure out the plays just by watching film.

Players still have to play the game and execute the plays.

The bounty issue is much larger because Williams ran this bounty everywhere he was a DC.

#72 evilwaldo

evilwaldo

    If you see something, say nothing, and drink to forget.

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 57,961 posts
  • Location:Kingston, PA
  • Team:Eagles

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:46 PM

View PostMachine, on 21 March 2012 - 01:43 PM, said:

I remember clear as day screaming at the TV  "HOW DO THEY KNOW TO KEEP RUNNING SCREENS ?!?!" They were running them like 5 times in a row, because they knew what defense was coming.  It just so happened to be in the second half, which is after they reviewed the footage.

See my last post.

#73 christsmith99

christsmith99

    Troll

  • Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,498 posts
  • Location:NYC, upper east
  • Team:Eagles
  • Fan Since:forever

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:46 PM

View PostPaul852, on 21 March 2012 - 01:28 PM, said:

Cheating to win is not as bad as trying to end someone's career for 5k.

Sorry. It doesn't matter what you think the agenda is. It's way more serious.
I do think it is more serious but the pats got off pretty easy compared to this

#74 Machine

Machine

    EMB Fossil

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,178 posts
  • Location:East Coast
  • Team:Eagles
  • Fan Since:Born

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:51 PM

View Postevilwaldo, on 21 March 2012 - 01:46 PM, said:

See my last post.

I'm trying to explain they are different issues but both very serious.  All I'm saying is, the NFL would have received a major PR hit if the cheating evidence had come to light, with this, they are saving face and laying the smack down to show "how serious they are" about player safety.  It's really not entirely comparable because I do agree players shouldnt be intentionally hurting other players, but it doesnt affect the entire league the way that a team who won 3 Super bowls in 4 years was CHEATING the whole time. :roll:

And dont give me that excuse about teams watch film. They ran 5 screens in a row against in the eagles in the first drive.  I bet you can not find ONE example of that outside of that drive.  They knew what was coming because they knew the signs.  The NFL doesnt want * next to any Super Bowl Championships.  Thats why they destroyed the evidence.

#75 rich36

rich36

    EMB Legend

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,405 posts
  • Location:westchester NY
  • Team:Giants

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:52 PM

View PostTheSilence, on 21 March 2012 - 01:45 PM, said:

What about the team that should have won in the Championship? You know, the one that added Randy Moss and Mario Manningham to their offense? The NFC is stacked, Giants barely made it in and just got hot at the right time.

How should they have won? The Giants were the better team going in. Tell me at what part of the OT was Alex Smith and that offense going to drive and put points up? They were completely stifled once KP and Antrel Rolle took Vernon Davis away. The Giants also have elite talent on the roster, so them being the best team in the game from Christmas on is really no surprise. They just needed health, which they didn't have until that point...

#76 Paul852

Paul852

    ^That's not me idiots. Sad that needs to be clarified

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,341 posts
  • Location:North Philly
  • Team:Eagles
  • Fan Since:Forever

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:54 PM

View PostMachine, on 21 March 2012 - 01:35 PM, said:

:blink:

Talking in terms of trying to cause bodily injury. You can put a good hit on someone within the context of the game.

#77 TheSilence

TheSilence

    Ryan to Roddy: Touchdown!

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,015 posts
  • Team:Falcons

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:56 PM

View Postrich36, on 21 March 2012 - 01:52 PM, said:

How should they have won? The Giants were the better team going in. Tell me at what part of the OT was Alex Smith and that offense going to drive and put points up? They were completely stifled once KP and Antrel Rolle took Vernon Davis away. The Giants also have elite talent on the roster, so them being the best team in the game from Christmas on is really no surprise. They just needed health, which they didn't have until that point...
How was the 9-7 team better than the 13-3 team GOING INTO that game? That makes no sense, they won the game, they made the plays, but if not for one player playing that normally doesn't, game may have been a little different.

#78 Paul852

Paul852

    ^That's not me idiots. Sad that needs to be clarified

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,341 posts
  • Location:North Philly
  • Team:Eagles
  • Fan Since:Forever

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:56 PM

View PostNnamdi Pamdi, on 21 March 2012 - 01:31 PM, said:

How many late hits were called in that game? oh let me guess, Brett favre can't get a call from the referees in Goddell's NFL. Saints played that game hard and 95% clean. The other 5% is what I expect my team to fudge it with a SB berth on the line. Sheep. I can't wait for America to wake up from it's fantasy football slumber and realize just how BAD the product on the field has become.

Yet you still watch and post on an NFL messageboard...baaaaaaa

#79 Paul852

Paul852

    ^That's not me idiots. Sad that needs to be clarified

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,341 posts
  • Location:North Philly
  • Team:Eagles
  • Fan Since:Forever

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:57 PM

View PostE v 2.0, on 21 March 2012 - 01:35 PM, said:

The Patriots literally fixing the NFL was WAY more serious than this. Unbelievable the double standard here. Wow!!!

Wow, please tell me you're not serious. It's not even close.

The safety of others transcends wins and losses in a GAME. Trying to end a man's career and livelihood is WAY more serious then cheating to beat him in checkers. Sorry.

#80 Paul852

Paul852

    ^That's not me idiots. Sad that needs to be clarified

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,341 posts
  • Location:North Philly
  • Team:Eagles
  • Fan Since:Forever

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:59 PM

View PostMachine, on 21 March 2012 - 01:39 PM, said:

Pretty much this. If the truth had come out about that, the damage the NFL took would have been devestating so it was hush hush, and now with the way he wants to protect the players and that message is out there, he is trying to prove how serious they are about protecting players and how they don't condone that type of activity. So it's actually GOOD PR to deal out the punishment and bring to light what was happening. It's BAD PR to say, oh, sorry, St. Louis, Carolina, Philadelphia and all the teams the Pats beat in the AFC playoffs, they were cheating but theres nothing we can do.

:lol: Right, they would have never been able to recover.

#81 rich36

rich36

    EMB Legend

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,405 posts
  • Location:westchester NY
  • Team:Giants

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:00 PM

View PostTheSilence, on 21 March 2012 - 01:56 PM, said:

How was the 9-7 team better than the 13-3 team GOING INTO that game? That makes no sense, they won the game, they made the plays, but if not for one player playing that normally doesn't, game may have been a little different.

More talented roster. Edge at QB. Coming off the GB game. At no point in the game or the week leading up to the game was I worried that the Giants were going to lose that game...The Giants underachieved to finish at 9-7. Their talent level is that of a ten win(plus) team. The Niners talent level was never that of a 12 or 13 win team and it still isn't.

#82 evilwaldo

evilwaldo

    If you see something, say nothing, and drink to forget.

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 57,961 posts
  • Location:Kingston, PA
  • Team:Eagles

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:00 PM

View PostMachine, on 21 March 2012 - 01:51 PM, said:

I'm trying to explain they are different issues but both very serious.  All I'm saying is, the NFL would have received a major PR hit if the cheating evidence had come to light, with this, they are saving face and laying the smack down to show "how serious they are" about player safety.  It's really not entirely comparable because I do agree players shouldnt be intentionally hurting other players, but it doesnt affect the entire league the way that a team who won 3 Super bowls in 4 years was CHEATING the whole time. :roll:

And dont give me that excuse about teams watch film. They ran 5 screens in a row against in the eagles in the first drive.  I bet you can not find ONE example of that outside of that drive.  They knew what was coming because they knew the signs.  The NFL doesnt want * next to any Super Bowl Championships.  Thats why they destroyed the evidence.


Everyone knows everyones signs.  They literally have people assigned to this.  That is why the headsets were installed.

#83 Paul852

Paul852

    ^That's not me idiots. Sad that needs to be clarified

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,341 posts
  • Location:North Philly
  • Team:Eagles
  • Fan Since:Forever

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:00 PM

View Postrich36, on 21 March 2012 - 01:52 PM, said:

How should they have won? The Giants were the better team going in. Tell me at what part of the OT was Alex Smith and that offense going to drive and put points up? They were completely stifled once KP and Antrel Rolle took Vernon Davis away. The Giants also have elite talent on the roster, so them being the best team in the game from Christmas on is really no surprise. They just needed health, which they didn't have until that point...

Naaaaahhhhhh. Those teams were very evenly matched and it came down to an inexperienced returner to decide the game. The Giants were in no way the better team going in.

#84 fredex

fredex

    Hall-of-Famer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,480 posts
  • Location:New York City
  • Team:Eagles

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:01 PM

so the Saints get fined 500k but save 8M in salary from Payton?  Seems like the FO got off easy

#85 evilwaldo

evilwaldo

    If you see something, say nothing, and drink to forget.

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 57,961 posts
  • Location:Kingston, PA
  • Team:Eagles

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:02 PM

View PostTheSilence, on 21 March 2012 - 01:56 PM, said:

How was the 9-7 team better than the 13-3 team GOING INTO that game? That makes no sense, they won the game, they made the plays, but if not for one player playing that normally doesn't, game may have been a little different.

:roll:

So where do you put the Eagles that were 8-8 yet beat the Giants during the regular season.

#86 Paul852

Paul852

    ^That's not me idiots. Sad that needs to be clarified

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,341 posts
  • Location:North Philly
  • Team:Eagles
  • Fan Since:Forever

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:02 PM

View PostMachine, on 21 March 2012 - 01:51 PM, said:

I'm trying to explain they are different issues but both very serious. All I'm saying is, the NFL would have received a major PR hit if the cheating evidence had come to light, with this, they are saving face and laying the smack down to show "how serious they are" about player safety. It's really not entirely comparable because I do agree players shouldnt be intentionally hurting other players, but it doesnt affect the entire league the way that a team who won 3 Super bowls in 4 years was CHEATING the whole time. :roll: And dont give me that excuse about teams watch film. They ran 5 screens in a row against in the eagles in the first drive. I bet you can not find ONE example of that outside of that drive. They knew what was coming because they knew the signs. The NFL doesnt want * next to any Super Bowl Championships. Thats why they destroyed the evidence.

Then you must think the Phillies stealing signs a few years ago is comparable because they were using binoculuars, right? I mean, it's the same.

#87 VaBeach_Eagle

VaBeach_Eagle

    EMB Fossil

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,505 posts
  • Location:Chesapeake, Va
  • Team:Eagles
  • Fan Since:1976

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:02 PM

View Posthukdonfoniks, on 21 March 2012 - 11:52 AM, said:

Per NFL Network...As penalty for the bounty program instituted by the Saints from 2009-2011...

Saints lose this year AND next years 2nd round picks
DC Gregg Williams suspended INDEFINITELY
Assistant head coach Joe Vitt suspended for first 6 games of season without pay
Saints head coach Sean Payton suspended for the entire season, starting April 1st, without pay
Saints GM Mickey Loomis suspended for first 8 games of season without pay
And the Saints are fined $500,000

and that's not even the penalties for the players.

damn.
I'm a little surprised (but not too much) about Payton getting a full season, Loomis should have gotten a full season since he was told to make sure it ended but failed to obey the owner and I didn't even know Vitt was on the radar. Other than that, I'm not too surprised.

I went to a Saints board to see some of their reactions, the first board was down due to the Servers being too busy.

http://blackandgold....-penalties.html

#88 evilwaldo

evilwaldo

    If you see something, say nothing, and drink to forget.

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 57,961 posts
  • Location:Kingston, PA
  • Team:Eagles

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:03 PM

View Postfredex, on 21 March 2012 - 02:01 PM, said:

so the Saints get fined 500k but save 8M in salary from Payton?  Seems like the FO got off easy

I would not call losing one of the best coaches in the league for a year getting off easy.  Payton is one of the best in-game coaches in terms of decision making and situational analysis right now.

#89 Paul852

Paul852

    ^That's not me idiots. Sad that needs to be clarified

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,341 posts
  • Location:North Philly
  • Team:Eagles
  • Fan Since:Forever

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:04 PM

View PostPHeagles36, on 21 March 2012 - 01:41 PM, said:

yeah its not like they did that with vick 1 year ago.
Giants fans are confident again. I like it because we normally see the result of that. They weren't confident in 2007 or 2011 and we see what happened. Let them get that confidence back up :lol:

#90 rich36

rich36

    EMB Legend

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,405 posts
  • Location:westchester NY
  • Team:Giants

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:05 PM

View PostPaul852, on 21 March 2012 - 02:00 PM, said:

Naaaaahhhhhh. Those teams were very evenly matched and it came down to an inexperienced returner to decide the game. The Giants were in no way the better team going in.

Niners didn't even get the customary 3 pt cushion for being the home team according to Vegas odds. Player for player, you cannot convince me that many teams are better than the Giants other than say New Orleans (before today), Green Bay, Houston, and maybe Baltimore...