Photo
- - - - -

Our DL vs Giants DL?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
60 replies to this topic

#1 armyprince

armyprince

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,889 posts
  • Team:Eagles

Posted 06 September 2012 - 02:59 PM

Guys is it me or people are too quick to give te leagues best DL to the giants?? People say we are deeper but not on the giants level and I don't see why.

When Tuck and Osi show up sometimes. OL hate playing us because we come in waves. There can be no relaxing against our DL. Washburn preaches all out effort every snap. It works because guys snaps are limited and they take advantage of all snaps.

Thoughts??

#2 LegendBird21

LegendBird21

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted 06 September 2012 - 03:19 PM

My thoughts
*ahem*
F the Giants!
I like our DL better, as you said, we have an advantage because we can keep the fire coming every down because of our depth.
Plus, it's a team from NY; they get top news pretty much automatically at all times or else the planet will explode.

#3 PhillySmoke

PhillySmoke

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,214 posts
  • Fan Since:1983

Posted 06 September 2012 - 03:19 PM

thoughts are the giants dline almost single handedly won them the superbowl 5 years ago and they've been dominating ever since. I know our d-line is great but until they win a ring w that pass rush, the edge goes to ny.

#4 Shocker54

Shocker54

EMB Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,038 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 03:29 PM

Eags might have the better depth but the Giants are better at the top.

JPP>Cole
Tuck> Babin
Osi> whomever

#5 ilikepargo

ilikepargo

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 25,593 posts
  • Fan Since:Wilbert

Posted 06 September 2012 - 03:31 PM

Ask this same question a little later into the season when people actually know enough to answer.

#6 eagles_crazy

eagles_crazy

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,704 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 04:07 PM

The giants DL played a huge role in carrying and winning the Superbowl. Until the Eagles old come close to doing the same, ill continue to rank the giants DL the best. Where did the eagles DL get the Eagles last year

#7 CalgaryFan77

CalgaryFan77

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • Fan Since:1989

Posted 06 September 2012 - 04:11 PM

The giants DL played a huge role in carrying and winning the Superbowl. Until the Eagles old come close to doing the same, ill continue to rank the giants DL the best. Where did the eagles DL get the Eagles last year

You can oversimplify everything like that if you really want, and wow the Giants have the greatest team and the best at every position, because they won the superbowl. But the reality is they barely squeaked into the playoffs and their d-line beyond JPP isn't as good as it was 5 years ago. I'd take the Eagles line.

#8 Clamdigger

Clamdigger

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 04:30 PM

JPP>Cole
Tuck> Babin
Osi> whomever

Easy there... Way too early to come to that conclusion.

#9 jsb235

jsb235

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 05:12 PM

The Giants may have better starters, but they can't touch the Eagles third-string.

#10 biglou22

biglou22

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 17,404 posts
  • Fan Since:1972

Posted 06 September 2012 - 06:42 PM

JPP>Cole
Tuck> Babin
Osi> whomever

I love all the fans that take what a player did for 1 year and assume that is what the player is going to be. Haven't we all seen endless players look like the next great HOF player only to come down to earth the next year never to return to that elite form ???
Listen there is no doubt that JPP should have been the defensive player of the year last year. But lets see what he does after the league adjusts to him.
I have no doubt that he will at least be very good. But to crown someone better then 1 of the top DEs in the NFL for the last 6 years after just 1 season is a little odd.
Lets keep in mind that JPP will now face the same double teams the elite DEs like Cole, Allen and Tuck face on a regular basis. And I assume that teams will not allow a TE to line up 1 on 1 to block JPP like teams did last year.

Unless of course you're the Dallas Cowboys and ask your injured TE (Witten) to block him 1 on 1 on 3 occasions last night.
Did anyone else pick up on that stupidity ??? And people think football is friggen rocket science ??
And NFL coaches wonder why fans don't think they are any smarter with the game of football then the average fan.

#11 eagledrew13

eagledrew13

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,797 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 06:58 PM

JPP>Cole
Tuck> Babin
Osi> whomever

Jpp has to do it more than one year to even be in coles league let alone better than him.

The fact of the matter is our DL done sort of pressure on nearly 20% more drop backs than the giant did last year and we had stopped runs behind the line a greater percentage of time.

The giants DL is better at one thing...batting passes

#12 eagledrew13

eagledrew13

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,797 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 07:00 PM

I love all the fans that take what a player did for 1 year and assume that is what the player is going to be. Haven't we all seen endless players look like the next great HOF player only to come down to earth the next year never to return to that elite form ???
Listen there is no doubt that JPP should have been the defensive player of the year last year. But lets see what he does after the league adjusts to him.
I have no doubt that he will at least be very good. But to crown someone better then 1 of the top DEs in the NFL for the last 6 years after just 1 season is a little odd.
Lets keep in mind that JPP will now face the same double teams the elite DEs like Cole, Allen and Tuck face on a regular basis. And I assume that teams will not allow a TE to line up 1 on 1 to block JPP like teams did last year.

Unless of course you're the Dallas Cowboys and ask your injured TE (Witten) to block him 1 on 1 on 3 occasions last night.
Did anyone else pick up on that stupidity ??? And people think football is friggen rocket science ??
And NFL coaches wonder why fans don't think they are any smarter with the game of football then the average fan.

The only pressure jpp got last night came when he was 1 on 1 against witten and he still didn't garner a sack.

#13 jfrost4

jfrost4

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,501 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 07:05 PM

A bunch of homers, the Giants are clearly better at the DL than us.

#14 eagledrew13

eagledrew13

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,797 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 07:20 PM

People say that. But theyre never able to say why.

#15 wildturtle

wildturtle

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 31,212 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 07:49 PM

Guys is it me or people are too quick to give te leagues best DL to the giants?? People say we are deeper but not on the giants level and I don't see why.

When Tuck and Osi show up sometimes. OL hate playing us because we come in waves. There can be no relaxing against our DL. Washburn preaches all out effort every snap. It works because guys snaps are limited and they take advantage of all snaps.

Thoughts??

Last night showed how a smart QB and a piss poor secondary can completely negate a very talented D-Line.

#16 biglou22

biglou22

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 17,404 posts
  • Fan Since:1972

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:06 PM

Maybe you didn't notice but besides L.Joseph their DTs are not very good. Not 1 of those DTs would make the Eagles.
And lest not forget that their DEs are only 3 deep. And 1 is an injury waiting to happen.
So to say clearly is just not true.
They are the 2 best DLs in the NFL and because of the lack of depth with the Giants DL and having no DTs, they are just 1 more injury away from having some minor issues.

Last night showed how a smart QB and a piss poor secondary can completely negate a very talented D-Line.

Listen we all knew the Giants DBs weren't very good, but boy that statement couldn't be any truer.
Truer ??? Is that an actual word ???

#17 Eaglesdude55

Eaglesdude55

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,440 posts
  • Fan Since:1992

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:12 PM

People will always say the giants based on JPP and Tuck but our DL, if all healthy, will be ferocious in december/onward with our line rotation in place. WHile teams Olines will be run down, our guys should be fresh and ready to go.

#18 ChimpKelly

ChimpKelly

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,628 posts
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:15 PM

We're better pass rushers, they're better all around. Imo

#19 GangGreen*2011*

GangGreen*2011*

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,148 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:20 PM

Their defense also stepped up, like Chase Blackburn and Corey Webster.
It's not enough just for the line to get pressure.

You can get 2 good pass rush (say 1st and 2nd down).
But if you blink on 3rd down, you give up a big play and all that work is negated.

So it's not quantity or even quality, but consistency. Get off the field, make plays at the right time/big moments.
That's why they're champs. They may got lucky, they may be weak at 9-7, but they consistently brought the goods when it mattered.

Have we brought the goods when it mattered? Heck, we haven't won a playoff game since McNabb left, and I thought we were that good.
Sure, we were reloading in the last couple years and are now the 2nd youngest team, so we'll see now that everyone's more "mature", if they can bring the goods.
Like T-Sizzle says.... Ball So Hard. It's football. It's a game. No more talk, it's time to DO.

#20 AmericanEagle77

AmericanEagle77

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 12,549 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:38 PM

JPP>Cole
Tuck> Babin
Osi> whomever

That's because you're comparing incorrectly.

Sacks

Babin > JPP
Cole > Tuck
Everyone else > Osi.

RDEF

Everyone > Babin and Osi.

Osi is overrated, especially because, unless he breaks that rule this year, Osi's rule of thumb is he's flat against the Eagles. Pesonally, I think the best lineman on both teams is JPP, though.

#21 jfrost4

jfrost4

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,501 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:21 PM

Maybe you didn't notice but besides L.Joseph their DTs are not very good. Not 1 of those DTs would make the Eagles.
And lest not forget that their DEs are only 3 deep. And 1 is an injury waiting to happen.
So to say clearly is just not true.
They are the 2 best DLs in the NFL and because of the lack of depth with the Giants DL and having no DTs, they are just 1 more injury away from having some minor issues.

Listen we all knew the Giants DBs weren't very good, but boy that statement couldn't be any truer.
Truer ??? Is that an actual word ???

They have Kiwi they are more than 3 deep.

#22 jfrost4

jfrost4

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,501 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:27 PM

That's because you're comparing incorrectly.

Sacks

Babin > JPP
Cole > Tuck
Everyone else > Osi.

RDEF

Everyone > Babin and Osi.

Osi is overrated, especially because, unless he breaks that rule this year, Osi's rule of thumb is he's flat against the Eagles. Pesonally, I think the best lineman on both teams is JPP, though.

You're in a fantasy world, not 1 eagles DE would start on the Giants.

#23 ilikepargo

ilikepargo

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 25,593 posts
  • Fan Since:Wilbert

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:33 PM

Ask this same question a little later into the season when people actually know enough to answer.

Again, the Giants DL has played exactly ONE game this season, and they played poorly.
The Eagles DL has played ZERO games this season.

NONE of you know the answer to this question.

#24 AmericanEagle77

AmericanEagle77

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 12,549 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:41 PM

You're in a fantasy world, not 1 eagles DE would start on the Giants.

Yeah, you're funny. Trent Cole vs Justin Tuck is a complete toss up. What about Justin Tuck makes him better than Cole again? JPP I'll give you that, though.

#25 jfrost4

jfrost4

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,501 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:53 PM

Yeah, you're funny. Trent Cole vs Justin Tuck is a complete toss up. What about Justin Tuck makes him better than Cole again? JPP I'll give you that, though.

He creates more turnovers, he forces a ton of fumbles.

#26 Gimpy

Gimpy

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 10,762 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:25 PM

We won't know for sure until the two DLs line up and face each other.

#27 gibsonplyer

gibsonplyer

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 10,193 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 11:37 PM

IMO while the Giants have a good group of DEs I don't like their DTs all that much. I think that's a big reason why they lost last night. The weakness of Dallas's O-line is the guards and center and the reason why the Giants didn't take advantage of that is because of their DT situation.

Giants starting DEs are better than the Eagles.
The Eagles have better depth at DE.
Eagles interior D-line is better than the Giants.

#28 jfrost4

jfrost4

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,501 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 12:26 AM

IMO while the Giants have a good group of DEs I don't like their DTs all that much. I think that's a big reason why they lost last night. The weakness of Dallas's O-line is the guards and center and the reason why the Giants didn't take advantage of that is because of their DT situation.

Giants starting DEs are better than the Eagles.
The Eagles have better depth at DE.
Eagles interior D-line is better than the Giants.

No the eagles do not have better depth at DE are you crazy? Tuck, JPP, Osi, and Kiwi is better than Cole, Babin, Grahmn (lmao), Hunt (lmao) , and Tapp (lmao).

#29 McNabb2Jackson7

McNabb2Jackson7

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,726 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 12:32 AM

The Eagles are trying to build a dline that is on the same level as the Giants. The front office is doing a good job, but the Giants defensive line is still superior.

#30 skippyx

skippyx

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,475 posts
  • Fan Since:1978

Posted 07 September 2012 - 12:51 AM

Sorry but it does not work both ways.
Tuck 'led' his mediocre teams to 10 and 9 win seasons with 10 and 5 sack seasons.
He got hot in the SBs and his teams got lucky.
Last I checked that does not make him Reggie White.

The 2011 Eagles had a superior D with more sacks (50 to 48) that gave up 72 less points
Their LBs sucked, their safeties were a mess and their corners struggled.
Their D-coordinator learned on the job through week 6 or so,
The D-line carried that 8th / 10th ranked D.
The JPP Giants have ranked 23rd and 29th against the pass. and they gave up 302 in 1 week this year.
They were 25/27 in yards and points last year in JPPs 'monster' sack year.

Babin has 30 1/2 sacks in the last 2 seasons. (32 games) 0.95 spg
Cole has 21 sacks the last 2 seasons (29 games) 0.72 spg

Tuck has 16.5 in the last 2 seasons (21 games) 0.79 spg
Osi has 20.5 in the last 2 seasons (25 games) 0.82 spg
JPP has 21 sacks in the last 2 seasons (32 games) 0.66 spg

Osi is a better sack producing 3rd DE than anyone on Philly but Philly's DTs wipe the floor with NY.

There is no NY advantage on the D-line.