Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

What is your earliest NFL memory?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
142 replies to this topic

#1 VaBeach_Eagle

VaBeach_Eagle

EMB Fossil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 56,756 posts
  • Team:Eagles
  • Fan Since:1976

Posted 08 October 2012 - 03:00 PM

Thinking back, what is the earliest memory you have of the NFL, and as a secondary question, what is the first Super Bowl you can recall seeing?

My earliest memory is of OJ Simpson breaking the 2,000 yard mark in 1973. The earliest Super Bowl I can recall is Super Bowl XII, in 1978 (1977 season).

#2 MightyJNC

MightyJNC

EMB Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,526 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 03:07 PM

First memory - going to my first game in 65'. I don't remember the score but I do remember that we got whipped by the Browns pretty good.

First SB - the first one Jets/Colts. I watched the two previous games on TV but they weren't called SBs at the time.

#3 GA4M

GA4M

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,572 posts
  • Team:Giants

Posted 08 October 2012 - 03:09 PM

Jets/ Colts game, My dad was about to kill me and my brother. He wanted the Colts to win, but the Jets were having no part of that.

Jets and Joe win the game.

#4 Midnight_Mean

Midnight_Mean

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts
  • Fan Since:the vet

Posted 08 October 2012 - 03:15 PM

in the early 70's, the eagles used to use high school bands at halftime. my dad was the bus driver for the plymouth
whitemarsh band for one of the games and he took me with him. somehow the bus driver used to get a field pass and i
remember watching the eagles and 49ers at the vet from the sideline near the endzone when i was around 10 years old.
gene washington made a nice diving catch in front of us. he was famous for those back then...

#5 Rodney_Zero

Rodney_Zero

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 45,702 posts
  • Fan Since:Hairston

Posted 08 October 2012 - 03:16 PM

I would have to say a game between the Chiefs & Raiders , just a guess but I would say 1974, then after that was Steelers games (My dads team), then Sunday pre- game shows with Brent, Irv , the Greek and some hot woman (forget her name?).
First SB would be the Vikings vs. the Raiders

#6 DDD1952

DDD1952

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 20,222 posts
  • Fan Since:1958

Posted 08 October 2012 - 03:40 PM

I remember all the hoopla around the Giants/Colts OT game as a kid...in 1958. Of course our Eagles in 1960. Whenever the Eagles played the Browns with Jim Brown. The day Sonny Jurgensen was traded...terrible. All of the SB's. Mercy...time has moved on.

#7 Dawkins 20

Dawkins 20

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 21,901 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 03:48 PM

First Super Bowl I remember watching was Redskins/Bills when I was 7 years old.

#8 Mike P

Mike P

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 18,368 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 04:08 PM

First Memory that I can recall clearly was the hit that ended Irvins career.

First superbowl? Hmm Packers vs Broncos.

#9 H-field Hero

H-field Hero

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,849 posts
  • Fan Since:1994

Posted 08 October 2012 - 04:18 PM

The first Super Bowl I definitely remember watching was XXIX: Chargers/49ers from the 94-95 season.

#10 Rodney_Zero

Rodney_Zero

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 45,702 posts
  • Fan Since:Hairston

Posted 08 October 2012 - 04:25 PM

The first Super Bowl I definitely remember watching was XXIX: Chargers/49ers from the 94-95 season.

That game was over when the 49er's showed up at the stadium

#11 sseifert

sseifert

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 05:35 PM

First superbowl was Bills/Giants and Norwoods missed FG.

Eagles memory was stopping Emmitt 4th and 1 twice or little ole Mark Mcmillian and how he played for how small he was. I should have memories from when I was younger (born in 1980) but for some reason that's as far back as my brain lets me.

#12 stang8118

stang8118

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,378 posts
  • Fan Since:1981

Posted 08 October 2012 - 05:43 PM

First football memory that I can clearly recall was the Super Bowl with the Giants and Bills.

I was like 10 years old at the time, and remembered betting my brother $100 that the Giants would win. He still to this day hasn't paid up haha. Still to this day I hound him to pay up (joking of coarse... his a** won't pay up lol)

#13 EagleJoe8

EagleJoe8

EMB Fossil

• Members
  • 83,630 posts
  • Fan Since:1992

Posted 08 October 2012 - 05:59 PM

Before I got into football back in 1992, I would usually only watch the Super Bowl. The earliest memories that comes to mind both come from the 87 season. My folks took me and my sister to an Eagles game against Miami, and I remember watching the Super Bowl that year when Denver set an NFL record for fastest score in a Super Bowl, but then got demolished by the Redskins.

#14 TheSilence

TheSilence

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,078 posts
  • Team:Falcons

Posted 08 October 2012 - 06:51 PM

Because I didn't start watching football until 2001-2002 because I didn't really like it when I was younger, my earliest memory is the '98 NFC Championship. I was only 13 and didn't understand the game but I remember I was watching it. Then watched the Super Bowl, was sad we lost, then watched the first ever episode of Family Guy right after that.

#15 VaBeach_Eagle

VaBeach_Eagle

EMB Fossil

• Members
  • 56,756 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 07:02 PM

First Memory that I can recall clearly was the hit that ended Irvins career.

I just re-watched that game this past summer.

The earliest memories that comes to mind both come from the 87 season.

Reggie White had 21 sacks in 12 games that year. He also had a 70 yard TD from a strip of Doug Williams against the Redskins.

#16 VaBeach_Eagle

VaBeach_Eagle

EMB Fossil

• Members
  • 56,756 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 07:40 PM

#17 LacesOut

LacesOut

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 24,744 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:55 PM

I can't remember the year, but my first NFL memory was kinda watching a Colt's game in old Memorial Stadium while decorating the Christmas tree with my parents. I remember Bert Jones playing QB. Was Lydell Mitchell the RB?? For some reason his name is in my memory too.

First SB memory was Dallas/Pittsburgh, SB13. I remember my Mom letting me stay up and watch it, as my Dad was at work. LOL that alot of my early football memories are just like that, with my Mom sitting there watching games with me because my Dad was always at work.

#18 iinvincible

iinvincible

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,411 posts
  • Fan Since:1977

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:40 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrdDuXPjhws

I was actually there watching that game that day. It was marvelous! Madden and pat , nfl rivarly.
My earliest memory of football was 1980 , cards 24, eagles 14. :(

#19 Eagle Jeff

Eagle Jeff

Starter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,307 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:43 AM

I remember Earl Campbell rumblin and stumblin BOOM BOOM BOOM.

#20 SD_Eagle

SD_Eagle

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 13,647 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:11 AM

My dad throwing beer cans at the tv and calling Jaws a stupid pollack

#21 Eagle Jeff

Eagle Jeff

Starter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,307 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:37 AM

My dad throwing beer cans at the tv and calling Jaws a stupid pollack

Hahaha

#22 Stephen1

Stephen1

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 17,152 posts
  • Team:Cowboys
  • Fan Since:1982

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:09 PM

Danny White breaking his hand vs the Skins in the NFC title game in 1982 and crying like a bish on the sideline, a fact my stepdad (who is a skins fan) still won't STFU about.

#23 rich36

rich36

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 15,457 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:17 PM

Danny White breaking his hand vs the Skins in the NFC title game in 1982 and crying like a bish on the sideline, a fact my stepdad (who is a skins fan) still won't STFU about.

What about the time I prematurely busted a nut in your face while we were watching the Icky Shuffle back in 88 and I called what I did to you the "Sticky truffle"?? That was pretty memorable, no?

#24 VaBeach_Eagle

VaBeach_Eagle

EMB Fossil

• Members
  • 56,756 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:18 PM

I was at that game, my brothers and I got tickets to the Divisional round game and then went back to the stadium later that evening to wait in line all night for tickets to the NFC Championship game. A guy that was sitting right behind us looked just like Danny White in fact.

One of my brothers got that game on DVD a couple of years ago and sent me a copy.

#25 Stephen1

Stephen1

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 17,152 posts
  • Team:Cowboys
  • Fan Since:1982

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:29 PM

What about the time I prematurely busted a nut in your face while we were watching the Icky Shuffle back in 88 and I called what I did to you the "Sticky truffle"?? That was pretty memorable, no?

:roll:
oh yeah, I remember that! I wore that Jim Burt jersey and you couldn't hold back, But they said earliest memory, not best, otherwise i'd have definitely said that

I was at that game, my brothers and I got tickets to the Divisional round game and then went back to the stadium later that evening to wait in line all night for tickets to the NFC Championship game. A guy that was sitting right behind us looked just like Danny White in fact.

One of my brothers got that game on DVD a couple of years ago and sent me a copy.

awesome! I was 8 at the time, my stepdad dared me to drink a beer after the game, I gagged, and he won't shut up about that either

#26 rich36

rich36

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 15,457 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:29 PM

oh yeah, I remember that! I wore that Jim Burt jersey and you couldn't hold back, But they said earliest memory, not best, otherwise i'd have definitely said that

awesome! I was 8 at the time, my stepdad dared me to drink a beer after the game, I gagged, and he won't shut up about that either

#27 VaBeach_Eagle

VaBeach_Eagle

EMB Fossil

• Members
  • 56,756 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:45 PM

I was almost 14 at the time, my best friend was a Cowboys fan and he went too.

How about that for growing up among the "enemy"? My brothers and father were Redskins fans, my best friend was a Cowboys fan and I was an Eagles fan.

I've actually been to more Redskins and Cowboys games than I have Eagles games. 2 Redskins games and 2 Cowboys games (one of the Cowboys games was a Redskins game too, so it's only 3 total games). But that's only because I lived 15 or so minutes away from RFK Stadium growing up and then was stationed at Fort Hood in the Army, which was only about an hour or so away from Dallas.

#28 rocketman44

rocketman44

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • Team:Vikings
  • Fan Since:1967

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:56 PM

My first memories are from 1967. In fact, tomorrow night's installment of A Football Life on NFLN features the Fearsome Foursome, and that Rams team was my initial favorite, so I'll be very interested in that program.

The first Super Bowl I can recall, very fleetingly, is Super Bowl II. I was out doing something that day and when I came home it was on, and by then the Packers had their big lead.

Super Bowl III was the first one I watched straight through. I was pulling for the Colts - I was an NFL guy and while I watched some AFL, it was NFL teams that captured my imagination. Even as a kid, running the ball and playing tough defense appealed to me far more than high-flying offense. It was the Fearsome Foursome and the Vikings' Purple People Eaters that captured my imagination.

#29 MightyJNC

MightyJNC

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 12,526 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:09 PM

My first memories are from 1967. In fact, tomorrow night's installment of A Football Life on NFLN features the Fearsome Foursome, and that Rams team was my initial favorite, so I'll be very interested in that program.

The first Super Bowl I can recall, very fleetingly, is Super Bowl II. I was out doing something that day and when I came home it was on, and by then the Packers had their big lead.

Super Bowl III was the first one I watched straight through. I was pulling for the Colts - I was an NFL guy and while I watched some AFL, it was NFL teams that captured my imagination. Even as a kid, running the ball and playing tough defense appealed to me far more than high-flying offense. It was the Fearsome Foursome and the Vikings' Purple People Eaters that captured my imagination.

I remember the preceeding game between the Pack and Pokes (the "Ice Bowl") a lot more than their NFL/AFL Championship game against the Raiders. I know my dad had it on the tube but it was pretty much a foregone conclusion that the Pack would roll them.

#30 AP

AP

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 20,859 posts
  • Fan Since:1492

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:18 PM

First super bowl I can recall was Super Bowl XIV

The Lynn Swann catch.