Photo
- - - - -

Pats trade for Talib

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
24 replies to this topic

#1 DMMVP

DMMVP

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
  • Team:Eagles

Posted 01 November 2012 - 03:29 PM

HIgh risk, high reward. Talib is talented but a huge turd.

http://profootballta...ib-to-patriots/

#2 Bdawk330

Bdawk330

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,225 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 03:34 PM

Pats D definitely needs the help

#3 Froggy

Froggy

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,518 posts
  • Team:Patriots

Posted 01 November 2012 - 03:50 PM

HIgh risk, high reward. Talib is talented but a huge turd.

http://profootballta...ib-to-patriots/

What's the 'high' risk? We don't know what the Pats gave up for him yet. I approve of this trade, pending more info on the trade

#4 Rodney_Zero

Rodney_Zero

EMB Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 45,751 posts
  • Fan Since:Hairston

Posted 01 November 2012 - 03:54 PM

What's the 'high' risk? We don't know what the Pats gave up for him yet. I approve of this trade, pending more info on the trade

Off the field problems in college and the NFL

#5 Froggy

Froggy

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,518 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 04:00 PM

That's not a high risk for the Pats, they can cut him as soon as he steps on a kittens tail. Same thing they did with Haynesworth. It only becomes a high risk if they guarantee him tons of money.

#6 Rodney_Zero

Rodney_Zero

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 45,751 posts
  • Fan Since:Hairston

Posted 01 November 2012 - 04:10 PM

That's not a high risk for the Pats, they can cut him as soon as he steps on a kittens tail. Same thing they did with Haynesworth. It only becomes a high risk if they guarantee him tons of money.

What if he comes in and shuts down other teams WR's, you get to the AFCCG and he get's arrested?

#7 Froggy

Froggy

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,518 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 04:14 PM

What if he comes in and shuts down other teams WR's, you get to the AFCCG and he get's arrested?

Well that's down to objective opinion, but I'd view that as a great trade. Knowing the Pats, he'll get cut no matter how well he played.

#8 gibsonplyer

gibsonplyer

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 10,277 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 05:59 PM

There is at least some risk because his continued off the field issues could pop up when you were counting on him being there. It does come down ultimately though to what they surrendered. The Pats haven't struck me as desperate so it shouldn't be outrageous like any trade involving the Raiders. Still I'm not sure if I see this working out any better than their other take a flier on some veteran player moves they've done lately. Chad, and Haynesworth, being the most obvious but I'm fairy sure there were few others the last couple seasons that weren't as high profile but didn't work out any better.

#9 Froggy

Froggy

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,518 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:05 PM

There is at least some risk because his continued off the field issues could pop up when you were counting on him being there. It does come down ultimately though to what they surrendered. The Pats haven't struck me as desperate so it shouldn't be outrageous like any trade involving the Raiders. Still I'm not sure if I see this working out any better than their other take a flier on some veteran player moves they've done lately. Chad, and Haynesworth, being the most obvious but I'm fairy sure there were few others the last couple seasons that weren't as high profile but didn't work out any better.

These are the types of moves you give yourself the space to make when you know you're probably gonna be competing in the playoffs. If the Pats were building a whole new team then I'd be against this move, but when you're coming off a Super Bowl loss where pass D was your Achilles heal, a move for someone like Talib is a risk worth taking.

#10 EagleJoe8

EagleJoe8

EMB Fossil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 84,621 posts
  • Fan Since:1992

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:25 PM

I heard on Sirius NFL radio the Pats get Talib, and a 2013 ( I believe a 2013) 7th rounder, for the Pats 2013 4th rounder.

#11 RedskinsFan01

RedskinsFan01

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 10,920 posts
  • Team:Redskins

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:55 PM

Good trade for the Pats considering the compensation but Talib is a headcase and his deal is up after the season.

#12 Froggy

Froggy

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,518 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:01 PM

I heard on Sirius NFL radio the Pats get Talib, and a 2013 ( I believe a 2013) 7th rounder, for the Pats 2013 4th rounder.

Hmmm...a 4th rounder might be a bit much, considering we don't have many picks this coming draft. I see the Pats trading out of the first round again this season.

#13 gibsonplyer

gibsonplyer

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 10,277 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:04 PM

Definitely a move about this season and this season alone probably. I find it hard to see them resigning him. Too much of a headcase. Its a: come in play a couple games at the end of the year, helps us win some play off games and hope you can convince some other team to ignore your stupidity based upon your performance in the post season with us, kind of move.

#14 f_dallas

f_dallas

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:09 PM

This kid is a walking disaster...unusual move for the Pats.

#15 gibsonplyer

gibsonplyer

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 10,277 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:43 PM

Not really they've taken chances on quite a few older and/or questionable players over the years some have worked out some haven't. Moss and Dillon were successes but you also have your Ochocinco's and Haynesworth's in recent years who did nothing.

Still Talib seems almost in a class of his own when it comes to be trouble. Had issues in college, then had that whole incident last year with his mother and a gun and someone shooting at someone else (Whatever happened with that?), and then while he's in the league's cross hairs he gets busted for using some banned substance. That takes a special kind of stupid.

#16 f_dallas

f_dallas

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:22 PM

Not really they've taken chances on quite a few older and/or questionable players over the years some have worked out some haven't. Moss and Dillon were successes but you also have your Ochocinco's and Haynesworth's in recent years who did nothing.

Still Talib seems almost in a class of his own when it comes to be trouble. Had issues in college, then had that whole incident last year with his mother and a gun and someone shooting at someone else (Whatever happened with that?), and then while he's in the league's cross hairs he gets busted for using some banned substance. That takes a special kind of stupid.

Yeah, the point is he's a whole different kind of a-hole compared to those other guys. Haynesowrth? Basically lazy. Chad Johnson? A loudmouth. Corey Dillon? I think he might have had a weed charge and he was labeled a malcontent because he wanted out of Cinci (who wouldn't). Moss had basically cleaned up his act by the time he got to the Pats. His biggest real issue at that point was he had quit on two teams.

Check out Talib since 2008...he makes every one of those guys look like Mike Vrabel.

- Kansas coaches tried to torpedo him before the draft.
- Tested positive for marijuana (at least once in college and at least once in the NFL)
- Got into a fist fight with a teammate at the rookie symposium
- Multiple fights with teammates.
- Constantly fined and punished by the Bucs for various rules infractions.
- Charged with battering a cab driver and resisting arrest.
- Indicted on felony assault with a deadly weapon charges...which were just dropped because a witness didn't pan out.
- Currently serving 4 game suspension for performance enhancing drugs.

That's his last 4 years. :lol:

#17 LacesOut

LacesOut

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 24,753 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:07 PM

- Tested positive for marijuana (at least once in college and at least once in the NFL)
- Got into a fist fight with a teammate at the rookie symposium
- Multiple fights with teammates.
- Constantly fined and punished by the Bucs for various rules infractions.
- Charged with battering a cab driver and resisting arrest.
- Indicted on felony assault with a deadly weapon charges...which were just dropped because a witness didn't pan out.
- Currently serving 4 game suspension for performance enhancing drugs.

Good lord!

Never heard of the dude.

#18 Pegger

Pegger

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 11,438 posts
  • Fan Since:1988

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:53 AM

To me that's not considered risk. They adopted the small side of the contract and if he doesn't work he'll be gone. This is like the Haynesworth type signing. It's more a big name who if can turn it around is an asset. If he doesn't the Pats will cut him in a heartbeat.

To me it's low risk, high potential reward.

#19 Pegger

Pegger

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 11,438 posts
  • Fan Since:1988

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:59 AM

Really? Off the top of my head Moss, Haynesworth, and Chad Johnson all were 'risky' characters that had success, but were on the downside of their careers. I'd say the Pats took the buy low approach and traded for them for next to nothing. This is consistent with that model.

Ultimately if these guys don't confirm to 'the Patriot way' they will be sent packing in no time.

#20 Innocence096

Innocence096

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 28,499 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 04:03 PM

Really? Off the top of my head Moss, Haynesworth, and Chad Johnson all were 'risky' characters that had success, but were on the downside of their careers. I'd say the Pats took the buy low approach and traded for them for next to nothing. This is consistent with that model.

Ultimately if these guys don't confirm to 'the Patriot way' they will be sent packing in no time.

but those two were just lazy and loud, Talib is a criminal. It isn't the same thing

#21 Invictus Maneo

Invictus Maneo

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 08:33 PM

but those two were just lazy and loud, Talib is a criminal. It isn't the same thing

Haynesworth is just as much a thug as Talib. Haynesworth is just lucky he had so many charges dropped. And Chad Johnson beats women. Yeah I think its the same thing.

#22 Froggy

Froggy

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,518 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 09:19 PM

It's the same thing in the sense that none of these guys have room for error with the Pats, none of them were given long term contracts and it's the same with Talib. One slip up and he's gone, with no real financial liabilities to have to endure.

#23 Intel Division

Intel Division

Practice Squad

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 10:43 AM

In a thread talking about a thug were seeing the words loud, lazy, and criminal being tossed around. Are those not the 3 criteria one has to meet upon entering into "thug life"?

#24 Washington 34

Washington 34

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Team:Redskins
  • Fan Since:1986

Posted 05 November 2012 - 03:33 PM

I wish my RedSkins would have gave up a 4th rounder for him. We need CB help. yeah we have Hall but in todays NFL you need 2-3 good CBs IMO

#25 bumpy93

bumpy93

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 15,817 posts
  • Fan Since:1993

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:49 PM

If it was for a 4th rounder, Id do the deal in a heart beat IMO