Photo
- - - - -

Vick wants to get his 'swag' back

martin frank courier-post

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
No replies to this topic

#1 herbicide

herbicide

EMB Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,751 posts
  • Team:Eagles
  • Fan Since:1960

Posted 03 November 2012 - 05:40 AM

Frank

Vick wants to get his 'swag' back

12:29 AM, Nov. 3, 2012

PHILADELPHIA — Michael Vick bristled when he heard the comments from Eagles coach Andy Reid that he played “one of his better games” last Sunday against the Atlanta Falcons.

Vick knew that wasn’t him, dinking and dunking the ball up the field, not throwing deep, not making things happen with his running ability. Vick said he’s going to revert to the running, risk-taking quarterback he used to be when the Eagles play the New Orleans Saints Monday night.

That’s just fine with Eagles offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg, who agreed when Vick said he has to get his “swag back.”

Mornhinweg said that is true about the offense as a whole.

“It’s a certain attitude that we are the baddest men on the field and that mentality that we’re going to be aggressive, aggressive, aggressive,” Mornhinweg said. “I’m not sure that it was missing, but we need more of it.

“It’s just that simple.”

It hasn’t been simple at all for the Eagles this season.

It seemed like the Eagles went conservative against the Falcons so Vick wouldn’t get hit or turn the ball over as much. If the Eagles were to allow Vick to play like he did in 2010, when he flung the ball down the field and ran at the slightest hint of pressure, he would have to do it without turning the ball over.

He hasn’t been able to do that this season, which is why speculation has been rampant that Vick will lose his starting job to rookie Nick Foles before long. Vick is responsible for 13 of the team’s 17 turnovers. He also has had a problem staying healthy the past two seasons.

And opposing defenses have figured out how to defend against Vick’s quick-strike potential.

“If you’re not going to be consistent and move the ball methodically down the field, (opponents) are going to say: ‘We’re going to play deep and they’ll mess it up,’” receiver Jason Avant said. “That’s what we’ve been doing. They’ve been playing deep and we’ve been messing up.”

Vick attempted just two passes beyond 20 yards against Atlanta — both were incomplete — and he averaged just 9.1 yards per completion, going 21-for-35 for 191 yards.

That’s why Vick didn’t feel like he played well at all.

“I think I was just trying to cater to certain things, and trying to be what everybody wanted me to be,” he said. “The most important thing is I have to let it go. I have to go back to playing football the way I love to play it, and not worry about what’s going to happen because that’s out of my control.”

He should have a great opportunity against the Saints.

New Orleans ranks last in the NFL in total defense, giving up 475 yards per game. The Saints allow 30.9 points per game.

The Eagles, however, average just 17.1 points per game, and they haven’t scored more than 24 points in a game this season.

“We like to go downfield,” Vick said. “We like to attack. Our offensive personality is being aggressive, picking and choosing our spots, and making plays that we know we can make.”
Mornhinweg is all for it. But he added this caveat:

“That’s got to flow naturally, where (Vick) moves and/or runs when he’s forced,” Mornhinweg said. “Otherwise, we’ll stay with the play. We got away from that just a little bit that last ballgame. We had, certainly, some opportunities to be just a little bit more explosive. And against certain teams, you’re only going to get a certain amount of chances.”