Jump to content


* * * - - 2 votes

Vick suggests that negative media coverage .........

vick

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 mjkvol

mjkvol

    Hall-of-Famer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,482 posts
  • Team:Eagles
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted 03 November 2012 - 07:01 PM

......... might be partially responsible for the pathetic play of this overrated group??????  

Check this out, from cbssports.com:

"Michael Vick is pointing the finger at the Philadelphia media for some of the troubles affecting the slumping Philadelphia Eagles.
Vick says the media can "create a lot of turmoil for us sometimes." Vick says the "quieter" the press can be in critiquing the Eagles, the easier it will be for them to focus."

What planet does this guy live on? :roll:  

Will this comedy (or is it a tragedy?) ever end?   Monday night will go a long way in determining how soon we can be sure.

#2 CaliEagle

CaliEagle

    EMB Legend

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,722 posts
  • Location:California
  • Team:Eagles
  • Fan Since:1978

Posted 03 November 2012 - 09:54 PM

Vick is the perfect QB for the Eagles.  The no accountability organization has the no accountability QB.  It's a marriage made in heaven.



#3 pgcd3

pgcd3

    EMB Legend

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,983 posts
  • Location:Santa Monica, CA
  • Team:Eagles

Posted 03 November 2012 - 10:15 PM

What do you mean no accountability? They hold the fans and media responsible for their mediocrity

#4 KOJO

KOJO

    EMB Legend

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,991 posts
  • Team:Eagles

Posted 03 November 2012 - 11:32 PM

I'm not surprised. Why take accountability for something when you can pass the blame off on someone else, & an entire city no less? :lol:

Of course they learn from the best. That guy may "take responsibility" every damn week but the next time he says that & then actually does something about it will be the first.

#5 frenchladyfan

frenchladyfan

    Hall-of-Famer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,082 posts
  • Location:france
  • Team:Eagles

Posted 04 November 2012 - 04:33 AM

View Postmjkvol, on 03 November 2012 - 07:01 PM, said:

......... might be partially responsible for the pathetic play of this overrated group??????  

Check this out, from cbssports.com:

"Michael Vick is pointing the finger at the Philadelphia media for some of the troubles affecting the slumping Philadelphia Eagles.
Vick says the media can "create a lot of turmoil for us sometimes." Vick says the "quieter" the press can be in critiquing the Eagles, the easier it will be for them to focus."

What planet does this guy live on? :roll:  

Will this comedy (or is it a tragedy?) ever end?   Monday night will go a long way in determining how soon we can be sure.

i'm surprised. i thought you were clever enough, and clear-headed enough, not to bite to these idiocies. you do know very well, if you've read the article carefully, that vick never BLAMED anything on the media. it's his right to state how hard it is to withstand the negativity. not that he didn't call the negativity on himself, with how he has played, but still.

mj losing his head to the media. that's a disappointment.

#6 Erie

Erie

    EMB Legend

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,276 posts
  • Location:Erie, PA
  • Team:Eagles
  • Fan Since:Jaws

Posted 04 November 2012 - 05:54 AM

Vick's been to Hell and back. He's had more stories written about him than most. For the life of me I don't know why he can't tune this white noise out.

Vick. Love ya. Love the trajectory of your life. But for the love of Pete, if you can't get your head right, at least shut up.

#7 PoconoDon

PoconoDon

    Hall-of-Famer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,868 posts
  • Location:The Poconos
  • Team:Eagles

Posted 04 November 2012 - 08:45 AM

At the end of the day.. criticism by the media, or the fans, or the players' families, or anybody else, should serve as nothing more than a minor annoyance to the players at most, and one that acts only, to bolster their own self-criticism. When things aren't going well, it seems reasonable to expect each man in the locker room to look in the mirror, identify what's wrong, and make every effort to fix himself, so his team mates can count on him.

  To me, there is no such thing as too much criticism, because it merely identifies that a problem exists in the present, and when the player eliminates the problem, then the criticism wanes and ultimately, disappears....because the problem is fixed.....and won't be back in the foreseeable future.

  The idea that a problem exists, but that the criticism just makes it worse and harder to fix, well that sounds a lot like cultivating an excuse before an expected failed attempt at fixing the problem...and that approach seems....unwise.

  I think the best approach for any guy is simply, to be the grown man he is expected to be, be honest with himself about his shortcomings, humble himself by seeking all of the help he can find to help fix any problems, and then give the effort of self correction 100%. No real solution ever comes from blame shifting....and most assuredly, none comes from doing so in advance.

My advice, for what it's worth (subjectively nothing to some I suppose), is help yourself and help the guys next to you.....in other words....come together as a team.....even if it is too late.

#8 mjkvol

mjkvol

    Hall-of-Famer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,482 posts
  • Team:Eagles
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted 04 November 2012 - 08:50 AM

View Postfrenchladyfan, on 04 November 2012 - 04:33 AM, said:

i'm surprised. i thought you were clever enough, and clear-headed enough, not to bite to these idiocies. you do know very well, if you've read the article carefully, that vick never BLAMED anything on the media. it's his right to state how hard it is to withstand the negativity. not that he didn't call the negativity on himself, with how he has played, but still.

mj losing his head to the media. that's a disappointment.

Know what, frenchy? I hesitated a few times before posting this for the very reason that I despise the media (sports, political, and otherwise), and detest beyond words the way the Peter Kings, John Feinsteins, Rick Reillys, and other such leeches have become "stars" of a sort spewing their meaningless opinions as if they are fact, when these people are nothing more than highly paid, glorified fans.    What the print and TV media has become in this country is nauseating - they don't report any more, they attempt (and sadly, succeed) to shape opinions. Other than all that, they're OK.  ^_^

And note that I didn't quote some cretin columnist by name, just a general "report". Still had to think twice, though.

I only posted this because, at 32 and with all he's been through, Vick should know better than to even hint at furthering the victimization mindset this group is cultivating.    A real team leader, which he is in the best position to be, should be busy lighting a fire under the collective a**es in that locker room, not giving them yet another "out". This is a professional football team, not a social club.

#9 frenchladyfan

frenchladyfan

    Hall-of-Famer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,082 posts
  • Location:france
  • Team:Eagles

Posted 04 November 2012 - 09:17 AM

hmm. erie and poconodon with good posts.

glad to see that it was just a momentary lapse of reason, mj.

but, what is with the obsession of denying the 'social club' part of a team ? you are dealing with human beings. not robots. so vick, in spite of his being much better off silent, had a right to express himself. and he didn't sound whinging, to me. for once, i found he had exercised moderation and measure, which clearly some of his teammates should learn from. they are public figures, and ANYTHING they say is liable to be distorted. with that in mind, i know that they should shut up.

but at the same time, can you blame them, for lashing out from time to time ?

i have very mixed views regarding this. part of me, the part that deals only with players and who is miserable right now, would like to stomp on them good and lock them up until they come up with a way of playing decent football, damnit.

part of me is a human being who can perfectly imagine their frustration, dismay and discontent. and i'm one for free speech !!

so i don't know. they're literally hounded by 'reporters'. must be tough to tell them 'leave me the f alone'.

ps, mj, i like reuben frank, and les bowen.


ps 2, the whole 'what the media have become' debate is a very interesting one. but not here. :(

#10 mjkvol

mjkvol

    Hall-of-Famer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,482 posts
  • Team:Eagles
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted 04 November 2012 - 11:20 AM

View Postfrenchladyfan, on 04 November 2012 - 09:17 AM, said:


glad to see that it was just a momentary lapse of reason, mj.

but, what is with the obsession of denying the 'social club' part of a team ? you are dealing with human beings. not robots. so vick, in spite of his being much better off silent, had a right to express himself. and he didn't sound whinging, to me. for once, i found he had exercised moderation and measure, which clearly some of his teammates should learn from. they are public figures, and ANYTHING they say is liable to be distorted. with that in mind, i know that they should shut up.

but at the same time, can you blame them, for lashing out from time to time ?

i have very mixed views regarding this. part of me, the part that deals only with players and who is miserable right now, would like to stomp on them good and lock them up until they come up with a way of playing decent football, damnit.

part of me is a human being who can perfectly imagine their frustration, dismay and discontent. and i'm one for free speech !!

so i don't know. they're literally hounded by 'reporters'. must be tough to tell them 'leave me the f alone'.

ps, mj, i like reuben frank, and les bowen.


ps 2, the whole 'what the media have become' debate is a very interesting one. but not here. :(

It wasn't a 'lapse of reason', as I explained in my post.      It is indicative of what is going on with this team, and was something to discuss here.      My views toward the media remain what they always were.

These players are paid exorbitant sums of money, not just to play a game, but to deal with all the surrounding B.S. (media, fan reaction, etc.).      It is unfortunately part of their job, and not one I envy even a little bit.      I put myself in their place, and would sometimes love to see an asinine question be responded to in kind - but perception is reality, and the media shapes public perception.       The teams damn well know it, which is why they all employ large P.R. departments, who spend half their time putting out potential fires.       Sadly, part of the athletes job is to stay the hell out of trouble.

A select few know how to deal with this garbage, guys like Brian Dawkins.       They are very rare.

As for the "social club" aspect - it isn't an option on any pro sports franchise that has any chance of being successful, the same way as it is in an army regiment.    I've never been in the military, but discipline, structure, and a unified vision would seem to be essential to any winning organization - sports, business, or military.      I'm sure a veteran or two could chime in and confirm or deny.

I'm all for free speech, but part of the discipline these guys are expected to adhere to is that of "biting the tongue", so to speak.      It isn't an option to say whatever is on your mind, as is evident from the amount of bland interviews you see and hear with players, coaches, etc.       It's just part of the job to shut out as many unneeded variables as possible.

Teams that don't follow this tenant are the ones constantly rebuilding and hiring a new coach every couple of seasons.

#11 frenchladyfan

frenchladyfan

    Hall-of-Famer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,082 posts
  • Location:france
  • Team:Eagles

Posted 04 November 2012 - 04:03 PM

i understand what you are saying, mj. this is maybe one of the rare instances where i don't disagree with you altogether. you have, what is, in theory, the good idealistic approach to what players and media relationships should be. but, as i was saying. we deal with humans. and when the team sinks, and everybody is apparently at a loss about how to fix things, then you open your mouth more than you should. still, i commend vick. he didn't come across as whining or complaining. he was stating a fact.

#12 NOTW

NOTW

    EMB Legend

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,870 posts
  • Team:Eagles
  • Fan Since:1977

Posted 04 November 2012 - 04:09 PM

Please fire Reid and blow this team up. Hire a defensive minded tough coach and get some mature men not these entitled divas.

#13 mjkvol

mjkvol

    Hall-of-Famer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,482 posts
  • Team:Eagles
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted 04 November 2012 - 04:40 PM

View Postfrenchladyfan, on 04 November 2012 - 04:03 PM, said:

i understand what you are saying, mj. this is maybe one of the rare instances where i don't disagree with you altogether. you have, what is, in theory, the good idealistic approach to what players and media relationships should be. but, as i was saying. we deal with humans. and when the team sinks, and everybody is apparently at a loss about how to fix things, then you open your mouth more than you should. still, i commend vick. he didn't come across as whining or complaining. he was stating a fact.

Stick with me, kid, and you'll go places.    ;)

#14 Highboy

Highboy

    Hall-of-Famer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,085 posts
  • Location:Ronda Rousey's Bathroom
  • Team:Eagles
  • Fan Since:Ronda

Posted 04 November 2012 - 06:32 PM

Guess how shocked I am mj? Go ahead, guess.

#15 ckudrick

ckudrick

    Superstar

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,328 posts
  • Location:Wallingford, PA
  • Team:Eagles
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted 04 November 2012 - 06:40 PM

Play better and everyone (fans, media, etc.) shuts up and heaps adoration upon you ... it's that simple.

#16 AmericanEagle77

AmericanEagle77

    EMB Legend

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,063 posts
  • Team:Eagles

Posted 04 November 2012 - 08:13 PM

View Postckudrick, on 04 November 2012 - 06:40 PM, said:

Play better and everyone (fans, media, etc.) shuts up and heaps adoration upon you ... it's that simple.

It's not like being an all pro is just about hard work. Sometimes other people are just better than you. Or even better coached than you.