- - - - -

Eagles activate Patterson, release Williams

geoff mosher csnphilly

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
No replies to this topic

#1 herbicide

herbicide

EMB Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,232 posts
  • Team:Eagles
  • Fan Since:1960

Posted 03 November 2012 - 07:17 PM

Mosher

Eagles activate Patterson, release Williams

November 3, 2012, 3:40 pm

Posted Image

For the first time this season the Eagles will have veteran defensive tackle Mike Patterson eligible to play.

Whether or not coach Andy Reid chooses to dress him Monday night against the Saints is still uncertain.

The Eagles on Saturday activated Patterson from the Reserve/Non-Football Injury (NFI) list and cleared roster space by releasing linebacker Jason Williams.

Patterson had missed all of training camp and the first eight weeks of the season to recover from offseason brain surgery to correct a rare condition that was discovered last summer in training camp.

But he started practicing this week and was a full participant Saturday, an encouraging sign for Reid.

“He did a good job. He moved around well and there were no symptoms [from the] surgery he had with his head and brain,” Reid said. “He’s felt good. He’s felt good all the way through workouts and then once he came out here he felt good.”

Patterson won’t know until Monday if he’ll dress against New Orleans at the Superdome, but he wants to be out there.

“Most definitely,” he said after practice. “We’ll see what happens. I don’t have no control of actually being out there, but if he (Reid) gives me the go I’m going to be out there.”

Patterson estimated that he could play “just a few snaps” against the Saints as he gets back into game shape.

The Eagles have played each game so far with four defensive tackles sharing the reps, but Derek Landri has been battling a knee injury and hasn’t been as productive lately. The team could also shorten its five-man defensive end rotation and make Phillip Hunt inactive. Hunt was active against the Falcons, but played no snaps on defense.

The obstacle Patterson would face is the re-acclimation to the game speed, but he’d also have the freshest legs among the linemen.

“I’m going to try to do my best,” he said, “so if a play comes my way or if I get a chance to make a play I’m most definitely going to give it all.”

Doctors discovered a condition known as arteriovenous malformation in Patterson’s brain last summer that caused him to collapse into a seizure at training camp. He was able to return and play all 16 games, but underwent surgery in January in which part of his skull was cut open, removed and then replaced.

The area of the incision was still healing when the Eagles convened for training camp, and the decision was made to keep Patterson sidelined until there were no concerns about his health.

Patterson, a first-round pick in 2005, has played at least 15 games in each of his first seven seasons and is tied with Trent Cole as the longest-tenured player on the defense.

With rising concerns in the NFL about players and head trauma or head injuries, Patterson said he had friends and family members who urged him to think twice about getting back on the field.

“Everybody was saying, ‘Are you sure you’re doing the right thing? and what not,” he said, “but I’ve had it checked out 20 million times already, so I’m good.”

Back in late August, when he was placed on the Non-Football—Injury reserve list, Patterson took a 50 percent pay cut, from a $2.1 million base salary to $1.05 million.

With his promotion back onto the 53-man roster, his original base salary of $2.1 million is restored. That means his weekly pre-tax check goes from $61,764 to $123,529.

Pro-rated over the full season, Patterson is now scheduled to earn $1,605,873, which is the lower salary pro-rated over eight weeks and the original salary pro-rated over nine.

E-mail Geoff Mosher at gmosher@comcastsportsnet.com