Photo
- - - - -

Michael Vick denies Eagles' assistant coaches want him bench

bob grotz delco times

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
No replies to this topic

#1 herbicide

herbicide

EMB Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,931 posts
  • Team:Eagles
  • Fan Since:1960

Posted 04 November 2012 - 05:50 AM

Grotz

Michael Vick denies Eagles' assistant coaches want him benched

Published: Sunday, November 04, 2012

By BOB GROTZ
bgrotz@delcotimes.com
@BobGrotz

PHILADELPHIA — Michael Vick shot down a report suggesting he felt Eagles assistant coaches wanted him benched after the loss to the Falcons.

Vick reportedly aired those concerns during a lengthy face-to-face meeting with Eagles head coach Andy Reid, according to a Yahoo.com report. Or didn’t, depending on which account you feel is more credible.

“That’s absolutely false,” Vick said after practice Saturday. “Coach and I never had that conversation. Everything we talked about in that room is personal. We spoke man-to-man. But that never came up.”

Reid indicated the report was news to him.

“I don’t know where that would come from,” Reid said. “That’s not the case. Everybody is on board with Michael and has been.”

Considering the all-for-one, one-for-all act Reid delivered when Vick and the Eagles returned to work after surrendering the 30-17 decision to the Falcons, the answer wasn’t surprising.

With a three-game losing streak and a critical Monday night game ahead versus the equally desperate New Orleans Saints, it’s hard to imagine Reid confirming a conflict between his coaching staff and starting quarterback.

Vick made a point of saying he wants to use the Monday night game to “let it go” and “get my swag back.” It appears the coaches have given him a game plan — and the green light to run — to do just that.

Vick gave the Eagles’ coaching staff a vote of confidence in the wake of the controversial Yahoo report, saying he had no concerns about the coaches.

“My coaches do a great job of getting me prepared, putting me in the best position possible,” Vick said. “And I’ve got nothing but the utmost respect for them. And they know that without me even having to say that on camera.”

Conflict or not, Vick has a lot of work ahead. He’s responsible for 13 of the Eagles’ 17 turnovers, having thrown eight interceptions. Only the Kansas City Chiefs (25) and Dallas Cowboys (19) have more giveaways.

Vick is tied for seventh in the league in picks with Saints quarterback Drew Brees, along with rookies Andrew Luck and Russell Wilson, Eli Manning, Cam Newton and Mark Sanchez.

Vick, with nine touchdown passes, is tied for 17th in the league with Jay Cutler, Joe Flacco, Carson Palmer, Tony Romo and Brandon Weeden.

Quarterbacks with more TD passes than Vick, among others, are Ryan Fitzpatrick, Josh Freeman, Andy Dalton, Manning, Alex Smith, Christian Ponder, Philip Rivers, Sanchez and Wilson.

Brees has a pretty good idea of the pressure facing Vick and the Eagles.

Brees endured an 0-4 start this season, before which head coach Sean Payton was suspended for his role in Bountygate.

“I know this, back in 2003 when I was with the Chargers, I got benched three times during the course of that season,” Brees said. “I know that feeling. I’m not comparing that to what Vick’s going through. I don’t know the situation there.

“I came in with Michael Vick in 2001, same draft class. He’s played at such a high level in Atlanta and Philadelphia that I think, just like all of us, we hit tough stretches from time to time. But that’s always something you have to work through.”

The Saints are 2-5 and coming off a 34-14 road loss to the Denver Broncos.