- - - - -

Westbrook's Take: Tackling a problem again

csnphilly

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
No replies to this topic

#1 herbicide

herbicide

EMB Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,214 posts
  • Team:Eagles
  • Fan Since:1960

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:37 AM

Article's URL

Westbrook's Take: Tackling a problem again

November 7, 2012, 9:00 am

Posted Image

In the two games since Todd Bowles took over as defensive coordinator, the Eagles' defense has given up a combined 51 points and 763 yards of total offense.

Granted, those two games were against two high-powered offenses in the Falcons and Saints. But the abundance of missed tackles during Monday night's loss was certainly alarming.

During Tuesday's edition of Comcast SportsNet's Eagles Extra, Brian Westbrook said it simply comes down to fundamentals.

"Handle your job, and everyone else will handle their job.That's how defenses are designed, as well as offenses," Westbrook said. "However, when you start worrying about everyone else's job, doing someone else's job, then your man beats you. And then, it's not even about getting beat by your man. Your man beats you, you have time to make up and make the play, make the tackle before he gets there, and you miss the tackle.

"At that point, those are the small things. Fundamentally, I should have my eye on my man. Then, fundamentally, I should be able to tackle my man if he actually beats me the first time."

The Eagles' 22.9 points allowed per game ranks 18th in the NFL, but that number's obviously been even larger the last few games. They look to correct their defensive problems in time for Sunday's showdown against the rival Dallas Cowboys at Lincoln Financial Field. Both teams are 3-5. The Cowboys have lost their last two games, while the Eagles have lost four in a row.

Is the season pretty much over for the loser of Sunday's game?

"I think so. I really do," Ray Didinger said. "Neither one of these teams is playing well. They're both disappointing. But who seems to be more disappointing right now? Probably the Eagles.

"The way the Eagles are set up offensively now, the way their offensive line is, going up against an aggressive defensive coordinator like Rob Ryan and some of the pass rush guys that he's got, even at home, I think this is going to be a very, very tough matchup for the Eagles."