- - - - -

Gruden eyeing a return to coaching?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
58 replies to this topic

#1 dmitc26

dmitc26

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • Team:Eagles

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:05 AM

This is from Walter Football, so I'm not sure how reliable but it's an interesting read:

WalterFootball.com has learned from sources that former Oakland Raiders and Tampa Bay Buccaneers head coach Jon Gruden is eyeing a return to coaching. Sources around him have shared that he is looking into different assistant coaches around the league and seeing what their potential availability will be after the 2012 season.

One coach that Gruden is said to be interested in is fired Philadelphia Eagles defensive coordinator Juan Castillo. The long-time Eagles assistant was on the same staff with Gruden in Philadelphia under former head coach Ray Rhodes. Castillo was an offensive assistant and tight ends coach while Gruden was the offensive coordinator. Following Gruden's departure for Oakland, Castillo remained to work under Andy Reid as a tight ends coach, offensive line coach and defensive coordinator. Reid and Gruden have also coached together, and Castillo carries a significant endorsement from Reid.

Other coaches whom Gruden could be interested include former special teams coordinator Rich Bisaccia. If the Chargers fire Norv Turner and his staff, Bisaccia could potentially land with Gruden. The two had a close relationship in Tampa Bay (2002-2008), and Bisaccia was always extremely loyal to Gruden.

Gruden last coached in 2008 with the Buccaneers. He is 95-81 in his career as a head coach with a 5-4 record in the postseason. Gruden led Tampa Bay to its lone championship in Super Bowl XXVII. Since getting fired by the Bucs, Gruden has stayed active, learning different offenses and defenses in pro and college football. He spent time with Chip Kelly learning Oregon's spread attack, so if Gruden returns to the NFL, he could feature a new and unique offense.

Sources have said that Gruden's return to coaching is dependent on it being a perfect situation. He isn't interested in smaller-market teams like those he has coached at previously. Gruden wants a big-market team with good ownership and some talent on the roster. Thus, teams like Dallas, Philadelphia and the New York Jets could be potential landing spots if they make a change.

Sources have said if Gruden doesn't love the opportunity, he's perfectly happy to continue his work with ESPN on Monday Night Football. However, they indicated that this year has been different than the past few, and Gruden has more motivation to return to coaching in 2013.

#2 SinCityEaglesFan

SinCityEaglesFan

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts
  • Fan Since:1979

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:10 AM

i dont know what to think of this one.

If/when andy gets the ax, i want a totally clean house with an up and coming guy as our head coach to bring in a totally different philosophy......... however if gurden wanted to bring in chip kelly i think i could live with that.

#3 vic92353

vic92353

EMB Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,413 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:14 AM

No matter whio they bring isn't going to be any worst that's what they have now.  :nonono:

#4 robnail

robnail

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts
  • Fan Since:birth

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:18 AM

at least gruden would not tolerate cry babies

#5 dmitc26

dmitc26

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:21 AM

View PostSinCityEaglesFan, on 08 November 2012 - 10:10 AM, said:

If/when andy gets the ax, i want a totally clean house with an up and coming guy as our head coach to bring in a totally different philosophy......... however if gurden wanted to bring in chip kelly i think i could live with that.
Chip Kelly is my first choice for HC.  I don't see him leaving for an OC position, but I'd be ecstatic if he did.  I'd settle for someone who has studied his offense and may be able to replicate it is some ways.

#6 EaglesCB37

EaglesCB37

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:26 AM

View Postdmitc26, on 08 November 2012 - 10:21 AM, said:

Chip Kelly is my first choice for HC.  I don't see him leaving for an OC position, but I'd be ecstatic if he did.  I'd settle for someone who has studied his offense and may be able to replicate it is some ways.

Whatever fits Nick Foles' skillset is fine with me.

#7 birdman#12

birdman#12

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,550 posts
  • Fan Since:1968

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:30 AM

Regardless of who they bring in, the eagles are going to go thru a tough transition and player turnover and probably will not contend for 2-3 years.  But it's not like they are serious contenders now or have been for a few years.

#8 blackskimmer

blackskimmer

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,225 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:42 AM

No way in hell Gruden goes to Dallas, Gruden would not tolerate Jerry Jones in every part of the decision making process.  Gruden wants to go where he would have final say in all personnel decisions.  So that would be either Jets or Philly.  I dont think the Jets are ready to give up on Ryan yet either.  So that leaves Philly as the one and only real destination.

Gruden is no dummy.  If he is looking at Philly he is already looking at the personnel, seeing if he can make a go at it, what he needs and who he needs to let go.  He has worked extensively with Foles so he already knows if he would want him going forward or not.  

The Eagles are a big market team, and he has a history with them.  I think it would be his only choice, and even then only under the right conditions.

#9 maggsgsr1

maggsgsr1

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:47 AM

I hope we get Chucky! He knows the WCO, Likes to run the ball and brought his teams to 2 Super Bowls (1 for 2). Plus is a no BS kind of guy... Exactly what we need.

#10 Lloyd

Lloyd

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 16,282 posts
  • Fan Since:Lloyd

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:48 AM

He can be eyeing a return to coaching. He just better not be eyeing the Eagles.

#11 maggsgsr1

maggsgsr1

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:51 AM

I hope he is.. You must want to keep Reid and Moron-in-a-wig.

#12 CMPunk

CMPunk

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:54 AM

Based on Grudens comments on MNF, I seriously doubt he WANTS to come here.

".....they (the fan base) get tired of everyone. They got tired of Randall. They got tired of McNabb. They got tired of Rodney Peete. They got tired of Bobby Hoying. They're tired of Vick and Reid....THEY EVEN GOT TIRED OF ME."

Smart man. He would much rather coach on the beach in San Diego with a patient/smart fanbase in a easy division then coach here in the city full of meatheads.

#13 knapp_nick

knapp_nick

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,830 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:56 AM

View Postbirdman#12, on 08 November 2012 - 10:30 AM, said:

Regardless of who they bring in, the eagles are going to go thru a tough transition and player turnover and probably will not contend for 2-3 years.  But it's not like they are serious contenders now or have been for a few years.

i still dont understand this logic.. we have ALOT of young players entering the prime of their career.. if we get the right coach and a healthy OLine there is no reason we should drop to the basement..

just cuz tate thinks the whe team blows doesnt mean that football people that matter do. im willing to bet that 18-19 of our starters will be starting here next year

Djack, Maclin, Avant,McCoy, Havili, Peters, Mathis, Kelce, Todd, Celek, Cole, Cox, Jenkins, Ryans, Kendricks, Aso, DRC, Allen
Grahm will be starting by the end of the season so he would make 19

#14 Hey Suess

Hey Suess

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,513 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:56 AM

View PostCMPunk, on 08 November 2012 - 11:54 AM, said:

Based on Grudens comments on MNF, I seriously doubt he WANTS to come here.

".....they (the fan base) get tired of everyone. They got tired of Randall. They got tired of McNabb. They got tired of Rodney Peete. They got tired of Bobby Hoying. They're tired of Vick and Reid....THEY EVEN GOT TIRED OF ME."

Smart man

This post sounds incredibly familiar.

#15 The_Talon

The_Talon

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 29,831 posts
  • Fan Since:1978?

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:57 AM

if Ryan is on the hot-seat with the Jets, that's my new DC.

So it's settled then:

1. Norv Turner: Offensive Coordinator
2. Rex Ryan: Defensive Coordinator

heck, I'm so confident we could do damage with those coordinators we can bring Castillo back as the HC :lol:

#16 CMPunk

CMPunk

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:59 AM

View PostHey Suess, on 08 November 2012 - 11:56 AM, said:

This post sounds incredibly familiar.

Yeah, I copied and pasted it from you in another thread lol. You made a great point though.

#17 ChimpKelly

ChimpKelly

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,348 posts
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:11 PM

View PostCMPunk, on 08 November 2012 - 11:59 AM, said:

Yeah, I copied and pasted it from you in another thread lol. You made a great point though.

Or maybe its familiar cause all you do is cry about the fans? Waaah! Waaaahahaaah! The fans are MEAN.

#18 Caribbean Soul

Caribbean Soul

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,391 posts
  • Fan Since:Forever

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:28 PM

I wish him all the best.  As long as he is anywhere but here.

#19 vsptroops

vsptroops

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,195 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:29 PM

View PostThe_Talon, on 08 November 2012 - 11:57 AM, said:

if Ryan is on the hot-seat with the Jets, that's my new DC.

So it's settled then:

1. Norv Turner: Offensive Coordinator
2. Rex Ryan: Defensive Coordinator

heck, I'm so confident we could do damage with those coordinators we can bring Castillo back as the HC :lol:
:roll:

#20 CMPunk

CMPunk

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:30 PM

View Postphillyphan754, on 08 November 2012 - 12:11 PM, said:

Or maybe its familiar cause all you do is cry about the fans? Waaah! Waaaahahaaah! The fans are MEAN.

Yeah you're right, people leave here and say wonderful things about the fans.

#21 Procus

Procus

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 11,027 posts
  • Fan Since:Early 70's

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:36 PM

I would say that all signs point to Chuckie being the next HC for the Birds.

After the tragedy in training camp this summer, the team's implosion, and Reid's contract expiring next year, all signs point to AR being on his way out at the end of the season.  Seems to me at this stage that it would be best for both sides.

As for Chuckie, he already has ties to the team, is well liked by the fans, and has his hand picked QB of the future - Nick Foles - in place already.

#22 DunedinEagle

DunedinEagle

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,741 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:38 PM

F Gruden we do not want Chucky! Tampa was a disaster after the SB. He can't develop QB's and his offense was abysmal at best for the final 4 years he was in coaching. Trust me I was living in Tampa the entire time, saw it up close. Not to mention the fact that he makes me want to punch him in the face whenever he speaks and I'm currently getting my fill of that emotion.

#23 evilwaldo

evilwaldo

EMB Fossil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 59,857 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:49 PM

Not a real reliable source

#24 birdman#12

birdman#12

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,550 posts
  • Fan Since:1968

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:55 PM

View Postknapp_nick, on 08 November 2012 - 11:56 AM, said:

i still dont understand this logic.. we have ALOT of young players entering the prime of their career.. if we get the right coach and a healthy OLine there is no reason we should drop to the basement..

just cuz tate thinks the whe team blows doesnt mean that football people that matter do. im willing to bet that 18-19 of our starters will be starting here next year

Djack, Maclin, Avant,McCoy, Havili, Peters, Mathis, Kelce, Todd, Celek, Cole, Cox, Jenkins, Ryans, Kendricks, Aso, DRC, Allen
Grahm will be starting by the end of the season so he would make 19

I didn't say drop to the basement....don't put words in my mouth.  I said they're going to go thru a transition......a new coaching staff, a new offensive system, a new defensive system.  Some players will fit the systems, some won't........I definitely don't think they'll have 18 starters carry over.....

The eagles FO and scouting department make it almost assured they'll bring in the necessary talent.  But the coaching is what makes them a team, makes them cohesive and develops them into competitive team.  
You need your head examined if you think a new coach is coming in here and they're going to the super bowl next year.  It's going to take 2-3 years.

#25 Baynit

Baynit

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,159 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:19 PM

Please I think i'd rather keep Andy.  In no way do I want John Gruden running this team.  Gosh they ran him out of Tampa what 2 or 3 years after winning a super bowl.

Dallas would be a perfect fit for him that way I can hate em both at the same time.

#26 PhillyDan1969

PhillyDan1969

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:21 PM

View PostSinCityEaglesFan, on 08 November 2012 - 10:10 AM, said:

If/When Chip Kelly comes to the NFL it isn't going to be as an assistant coach or coordinator!!!

#27 knapp_nick

knapp_nick

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,830 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:49 PM

View Postbirdman#12, on 08 November 2012 - 12:55 PM, said:

You need your head examined if you think a new coach is coming in here and they're going to the super bowl next year.  It's going to take 2-3 years.

isnt this EXACTLY how gruden won his first SuperBowl?? taking an already talented team all the way in his first year?? just saying it doesnt HAVE TO take 3 years

#28 forevereagles

forevereagles

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 13,038 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:23 PM

View Postblackskimmer, on 08 November 2012 - 11:42 AM, said:

No way in hell Gruden goes to Dallas, Gruden would not tolerate Jerry Jones in every part of the decision making process.  Gruden wants to go where he would have final say in all personnel decisions.  So that would be either Jets or Philly.  I dont think the Jets are ready to give up on Ryan yet either.  So that leaves Philly as the one and only real destination.

Gruden is no dummy.  If he is looking at Philly he is already looking at the personnel, seeing if he can make a go at it, what he needs and who he needs to let go. He has worked extensively with Foles so he already knows if he would want him going forward or not.  

The Eagles are a big market team, and he has a history with them.  I think it would be his only choice, and even then only under the right conditions.
He also seems to think Foles has a  chance to become a great Qb if used properly. He was impressed with his recognition and  understanding  of the plays ,in the piece I watched when he attended his camp.

I wonder if lurie has already reached out to Gruden ( since he can't contact  coaches (or assistents) on other teams until the season is concluded) he wouldn't be considered  tampering. Since Gruden is no longer connected to another team. Very interesting turn of events here.

I don't remember there being anything said about Gruden wanting to return to coaching prior to this release. And to suggest he only wants it to be for a big market team makes Philly a good option. He knows and understand this fan base and what we want from our team/coaches.  Add to that he is familiar with Lurie. Having been the OC during the first years of Luries ownership.

I just felt that since he didn't promote John to HC when he was here, that he probably wouldn't be looking at him to replace Andy, But Lurie's immediate concernt is a winning organization. Something he hasn't had in recent seasons.  Lurie is the very type of ownership that Gruden would be happy with. Since he doesn't interfere with the football part of the business.

I just want whoever they finally choose to be a good football  savvy coach. Who can make in game adjustments to counter what the opposition is taking away from you .  Who understands that a balanced offense makes it easer to be successful. To know how to use time outs and the clock to their advantage. Something that neither Andy or Marty are adept at doing. Who  will  utilize the players properly  to get the best of  their talents out of them.

#29 ChimpKelly

ChimpKelly

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,348 posts
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:42 PM

View PostCMPunk, on 08 November 2012 - 12:30 PM, said:

Yeah you're right, people leave here and say wonderful things about the fans.

You suck, hard, at sarcasm.

#30 GA4M

GA4M

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,155 posts
  • Team:Giants

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:50 PM

View Postrobnail, on 08 November 2012 - 10:18 AM, said:

at least gruden would not tolerate cry babies

There goes all the Eagle fans then.