- - - - -

Red zone stats leave coach baffled

martin frank courier-post

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 herbicide

herbicide

EMB Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,298 posts
  • Team:Eagles
  • Fan Since:1960

Posted 09 November 2012 - 05:32 AM

Frank

Red zone stats leave coach baffled

11:26 PM, Nov. 8, 2012

PHILADELPHIA — The red zone statistics were abominable for the Eagles.

Out of 19 snaps inside the red zone against the Saints on Monday, 18 of them went for zero or negative yards. That explains why the Eagles went 0-for-5 on touchdowns inside the Saints’ 20 yard line in their 28-13 loss.

That left Eagles offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg dumbfounded.

“I will tell you there were some problems,” he said. “If you’re not playing with great precision down in the red zone, then you get into those types of situations. All 11 players have to play fast and precise down in the red zone. Things are happening quickly.

“I will tell you that the players are working very, very hard to get that thing straightened out.”

The Eagles called for 16 pass plays in the red zone to just three runs. The running plays lost a total of one yard. Eagles quarterback Michael Vick completed just 4 of 14 passes (he was sacked twice).

Mornhinweg said he is second-guessing himself on the sequence after the Eagles recovered a fumble on a kickoff at the Saints’ 22 midway through the third quarter. They were trailing 21-10 and had a chance to cut the lead to four points.

He said the Eagles should have run the ball more there.

Instead, Vick ran while avoiding the pressure and gained 14 yards on the first play. After an incomplete pass, Vick was sacked and lost 11 yards, pushing the Eagles back to the 19. After another incomplete pass, the Eagles settled for a 37-yard field goal by Alex Henery.

“We wanted to go after them,” Mornhinweg said. “Mike ran for some yards there, but that first play wasn’t very good. I certainly could’ve run the ball. After the turnover, I just wanted to be aggressive.”

• No surgery for Herremans: The Eagles announced Thursday that right tackle Todd Herremans won’t have surgery to repair his foot. Herremans dislocated the cuboid bone after landing on the inside of his foot. Herremans also suffered ligament damage, strained a tendon and cracked some bones.

Eagles trainer Rick Burkholder said Herremans will need at least eight weeks in a protective boot before he can begin any rehab. The Eagles placed him on injured reserve, thereby ending his season.

• McCoy misses practice again: Running back LeSean McCoy missed his second straight day of practice because of an illness. He reported to the team’s training facility early Thursday morning but was sent home. He is expected to practice today and play against the Cowboys on Sunday.

Running back Chris Polk won’t play Sunday after he hurt his toe in practice Wednesday. The rookie was seen in the locker room with a protective boot and crutches.

Right guard Danny Watkins also missed practice. He has missed the last two games with an ankle sprain. He has not been ruled out for Sunday’s game, however.

• Patterson glad to be back: Mike Patterson was on the field for 15 snaps Monday at defensive tackle and made one tackle.

He was happyPosted Image about that, considering that his career was in doubt last winter after needing brain surgery because blood vessels were tangling around his brain. But he also knows there’s room for improvement.

“I don’t think I played the way I wanted to play, of course,” Patterson said. “I’ll get more reps this weekend. I’m still knocking off some rust.”

Reach Martin Frank at mfrank@delawareonline.com

#2 L.E.

L.E.

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 19,101 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:31 AM

Marty doesn't know what the problem is. Big shocker there.

#3 Eagles_Section115_Row29

Eagles_Section115_Row29

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,785 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:53 AM

The redzone play calling leaves the world baffled.

The Eagles called for 16 pass plays in the red zone to just three runs

#4 chrisOG

chrisOG

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,610 posts
  • Fan Since:Rossovich

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:11 AM

The O - Line is small and not very physical, same with the Wide receicers, they just get outmuscled in the Red Zone.

#5 BtotheH

BtotheH

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,537 posts
  • Fan Since:1988

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:35 AM

The offense has struggled in the RZ since 2007, even when Mcnabb was here we struggled. Last year it kind of got better because McCoy was used a lot inside the 10 and our line was much better but now we have better oppurtunites to score when were on the 30 or 35 yard line.

"1st and Goal from the 3 yard line, Vick is in the shotgun with no back, 4 WR set, he takes the snap, rolls right, looking, looking and throws it away". This is Reid's was of trying to score TD's.

All head coaches in this league that have success run the ball with that scenario, except maybe Mike McCarthy, but they have Aaron Rodgers!

#6 eagleeyejk

eagleeyejk

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 16,312 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:06 PM

Marty's a genius.

#7 PrinceKelby

PrinceKelby

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 16,979 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:38 PM

"We should have run the ball more there."

You should run the ball more everywhere with the OL in shambles you effing nitwits. . .

Good effing grief what idiocy. . .

#8 greenblood0118

greenblood0118

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,338 posts
  • Fan Since:conception

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:25 PM

OMFG Marty, can I please run u over in my car now??