Photo
- - - - -

Theismann: Eagles o-line lacks 'want-to'

tom mahon daily news

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
No replies to this topic

#1 herbicide

herbicide

EMB Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,909 posts
  • Team:Eagles
  • Fan Since:1960

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:23 AM

Mahon

Theismann: Eagles o-line lacks 'want-to'

TOM MAHON, Daily News Staff Writer

Posted: Friday, November 9, 2012, 1:04 AM

FORMER NFL quarterback Joe Theismann tore into the Eagles' offensive line in a recent interview, saying there are college o-lines that could do a better job of protecting Michael Vick.

"Mike has no offensive line in front of him," Theismann told the Sporting News. "I watched the New Orleans-Philadelphia game Monday night, and what I saw was a man running for his life.

"I blame the management of the Philadelphia Eagles for some of this. Two years ago, you took a guy who was an offensive line coach, and a damn good one in Juan Castillo, away from the offensive line. Then you made him a defensive coordinator. The offensive line has been bad for the last couple of years. It's been an Achilles' heel for them since he left.

"I watched that line against the Saints, and I'm convinced there are good college teams that could do a better job than they did. If you're an offensive lineman, there's got to be some want-to in you. You want to be able to defeat the person in front of you. You want to be able to protect your quarterback. You want to be able to create holes for your running game. What I saw in the Philadelphia Eagles was no want. I saw a lot of what-ifs. If anybody but Michael Vick was back behind that line, they would've had 10 sacks in that game."

Barkley's ugly truth

Charles Barkley is nothing if not honest.

The former Sixers star, who writes a weekly column for SportsWeek, was his blunt self in a recent question and answer session with SI.com.

At one point, the subject turned to sideline reporters and sports reporters in general, a field that - according to Barkley - is rife with discrimination.

"If you are an ugly woman, you have no chance of getting a TV job," Barkley said.

As usual, Sir Charles says what no one else will. And sadly, he's correct.

After all, there are no women who look like John Clayton on ESPN.

Thank God.

Contact Tom Mahon at mahont@phillynews.com