Photo
- - - - -

Ailing McCoy says he'll be 'fine' come Sunday

geoff mosher

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
No replies to this topic

#1 herbicide

herbicide

EMB Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,044 posts
  • Team:Eagles
  • Fan Since:1960

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:05 PM

Mosher

Ailing McCoy says he'll be 'fine' come Sunday

November 9, 2012, 3:05 pm

Posted Image

The flu symptoms and respiratory problems that kept LeSean McCoy out of practice for two days this week are also responsible for the Pro Bowl running back's slimmer physique and nagging cough.

McCoy had dropped a few pounds and still hadn’t totally shaken the bug by Friday, when he rejoined his team at practice.

But come Sunday afternoon, when the Eagles suit up to play the Cowboys, he figures to get the extra jolt he needs to compensate.

“Yeah, once I get rolling and I get into it,” he said, “my blood gets going. I’ll be fine.”

History suggests that McCoy will be the weapon of choice for the Eagles against the NFC East rival that their fans most hate. His two best career games have each come against Dallas, including last year’s 185 rushing yards and two touchdowns in an Oct. 30 blowout at the Linc.

“That’s so long ago, I don’t even remember,” said McCoy, whose breakout game spearheaded a 34-7 triumph.

Two years ago, McCoy ran for 149 yards on 16 carries - an average of nearly 9.5 yards per carry -- to help the Eagles squeeze past Dallas, 30-27, in Arlington, Texas.

With four backups on the offensive line, and with the passing game still struggling, it only makes sense that the offensive coaches ride Shady on Sunday afternoon for as long as they can.

McCoy comes off a 119-yard effort Monday night against New Orleans, the eighth-best effort of his career, and last month broke out for 123 yards -- his fifth-most ever -- in a big division win against the Giants.

That happens to be the last time the Eagles won.

“Yeah, I think all my best games of my career [have] been against division [opponents], so I’m just waiting to see what happens this week,” McCoy said. “We have a nice game plan. We prepared the right way. We’ll see what happens Sunday.”

McCoy only partially practiced Friday and admitted that he still didn’t feel 100 percent. He said he felt “woozy” and had lost some weight during the week as he mainly drank fluids and avoided square meals while bedridden.

Head coach Andy Reid wasn’t worried about McCoy’s lack of practice reps, even as the Eagles (3-5) have dropped four straight and are desperate for a win.

“You’re far enough along in the season,” Reid said. “He’ll be fine there.”

Of McCoy’s 10 best career rushing effort, his top five have come against NFC East teams and seven overall. His 5.8 career average per carry against Dallas is the highest of any running back in NFL history.

“I’m pretty familiar with them,” he said. “And I’m not a rookie. I know my assignments, from the blitzes and pickups and protections to running the plays that are called. And I think Coach trusts me in those type (of) situations and I’ve been here before, where I haven’t practiced and actually played through different injuries. I haven’t missed too many games in my career so far. So I’ll be fine.”

E-mail Geoff Mosher at gmosher@comcastsportsnet.com