Photo
- - - - -

DALLAS week and no one cares

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 eaglepride

eaglepride

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,632 posts
  • Team:Eagles

Posted 10 November 2012 - 10:22 PM

I remember when the city went crazy all week long. Now, people say they can't give away their tixs. I don't know about that, it's going to be nice weather, about a dozen of us will be tailgating, and when we get inside you'll hear us loud and clear. I hope it goes well for AR or it will be nasty in there because you can't lose to the stinking boys at home. Dave, do you feel any buzz for the game?

#2 owensaws

owensaws

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,060 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:22 AM

It was a great when you got the sense the players also cared about Dallas week. This bunch of losers could care less as long as they cash their paycheck.

#3 mjkvol

mjkvol

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,639 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:53 AM

It was a great when you got the sense the players also cared about Dallas week. This bunch of losers could care less as long as they cash their paycheck.

When the bulk of your key players are mercenaries, how can anyone expect them to look at Cowboy or Giant games any differently than a Bengal game? These players weren't 'raised' as Eagles like Dawk, Trotter, and Westbrook were, and they know there is a good chance they'll be somewhere else next year.

One of the many things we have to get back here after this regime is finally and mercifully sent packing, is the 'culture' of being a Philadelphia Eagle - what it means and stands for. We need to get back to emphasizing the draft as the way of building a core, and educating young players on how to succeed as a player here - hell, Dawk should be hired to teach the damn course!

A huge part of that is to bring back the feeling and buzz that used to go through this town during any week preceding a division game, or any big game, for that matter.

It is nothing short of tragic (relatively speaking, of course) that Lurie has allowed this absolutely vital part of the whole "Eagles experience" to disintegrate like it has.

#4 EAGLESinc

EAGLESinc

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts
  • Fan Since:1976

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:00 AM

It's not just us forsay....it's the Dallas fans too....also having a dismal season.....I haven't heard a Cowboy fan all year....actually quite a few years....lolol.....still this is a "big" game for both of us.....now if we were both 5-3 or even 4-4....I'm sure there would be a little more chatter....regardless ....this Eagles fan is more than ready!!!.....FLY EAGLES FLY!!!!!

#5 Runtherock

Runtherock

EMB Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,970 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:50 AM

Isn't that the truth? They can't even hate Dallas.

#6 frenchladyfan

frenchladyfan

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,404 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:53 AM

When the bulk of your key players are mercenaries, how can anyone expect them to look at Cowboy or Giant games any differently than a Bengal game? These players weren't 'raised' as Eagles like Dawk, Trotter, and Westbrook were, and they know there is a good chance they'll be somewhere else next year.

One of the many things we have to get back here after this regime is finally and mercifully sent packing, is the 'culture' of being a Philadelphia Eagle - what it means and stands for. We need to get back to emphasizing the draft as the way of building a core, and educating young players on how to succeed as a player here - hell, Dawk should be hired to teach the damn course!

A huge part of that is to bring back the feeling and buzz that used to go through this town during any week preceding a division game, or any big game, for that matter.

It is nothing short of tragic (relatively speaking, of course) that Lurie has allowed this absolutely vital part of the whole "Eagles experience" to disintegrate like it has.

maybe you'll be patient enough to explain to me how that is related to lurie. it's not hard for me at all, for instance, even as a foreigner, to relate to that rivalry though. so it shouldn't be hard at all even for 'mercenary type players', as they are lucky enough to be in philadelphia and feel the vibrations from the city . of course, when they lose, the only vibes are negative ones..

ps regarding the rivalry for instance, of course i don't have it inside me, i wasn't born with it, but i can make it mine. it's very easy, when you care.

#7 mjkvol

mjkvol

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,639 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted 11 November 2012 - 01:03 PM

maybe you'll be patient enough to explain to me how that is related to lurie. it's not hard for me at all, for instance, even as a foreigner, to relate to that rivalry though. so it shouldn't be hard at all even for 'mercenary type players', as they are lucky enough to be in philadelphia and feel the vibrations from the city . of course, when they lose, the only vibes are negative ones..ps regarding the rivalry for instance, of course i don't have it inside me, i wasn't born with it, but i can make it mine. it's very easy, when you care.

You're right - my wife became an Eagles fan only after we met, and despises the Giants as much as I do.

I relate it to Lurie the way anything about the deterioration of the product relates to Lurie. Some of us saw this coming up to five years ago, but after what was clearly a dismal season that had a lot of former Reid supporters even feeling it was time for change, Lurie had the absolutely perfect opportunity this past off season to start fresh. The Castillo hiring was a disaster, and the Vick experiment looked very shaky. We were ripe for change, and a fresh outlook, which would have reenergized a fan base that desperately needed it.

Instead, due more than likely to contract situations than anything else, he stayed the course for one more year, and in essence set the table for this kind of indifference with half a season to go, and Dallas coming to town. I haven't seen the town this dead during Dallas week in.......I can't remember how long.

Regarding mercenary players - in the NFL, unlike baseball, it has been proven time and again that you win by building your core through the draft, and complimenting the core through free agent signings - look at the Pats, Steelers, Giants, etc. The teams that actually win championships all do it this way.

Drafted players are raised playing in Philly, grow as players together, and become part of the 'Eagles culture'. Look at how Ike Reese, Dawkins, Trotter, Jaworski, etc. have remained part of the community even after retiring.

This team's core is mostly free agents who are here because the Eagles were the highest bidder for the most part. There is no 'connection' to the town or fan base. Their time here was always going to be predicated on winning now - there is no 'growth time', if you will, permitted to get the chemistry right. It either is or it isn't, and the chances of it working perfectly are slim and none, given the fact that there is not that growth time. Successful NFL rosters are developed over time - the better you draft, the shorter that time can be.

I fault Lurie for allowing Reid the power to conduct one awful draft after another, and then trying to cover that up by paying big money for free agents in a desperate win-now mode. I fault him for allowing Reid to draft a QB, develop him for three years, then dump him in favor of a guy who had a nice 8-game run. I personally fault him for driving me and other lifelong fans to the point of indifference by hanging onto a coach who had proven time and again that he simply isn't championship caliber.

Sorry for being long, but you asked. ^_^

#8 PoconoDon

PoconoDon

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,436 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 02:04 PM

At this point for me,

The GM position is not currently filled with a man that can dominate the rebuilding process compared to all the other 31 teams, through excellence and guile in every area he needs it.

The Head Coach position is not currently filled by a man that can coach a team to multiple championships, or even one for that matter, ever, through excellence in leadership, as well as both strategic and tactical planning and execution.

Therefore, it is now, in my opinion, entirely up to the owner to fix those two monumental problems, and specifically in that order, so that his vision, way back in 1994 of multiple championships, can be realized. If he compromises in any way regarding these two critical positions, then he will fail........and his team will as well..........as we have seen since his arrival.

As fans, I'd suggest that we should, in whatever way we can, enjoy the string of games left this season, and when it ends........ALL eyes should be 100% focused on Jeffrey Lurie. He is the ONLY one in my opinion, that can get this done the right way, and HIS decisions this off-season will tell us EVERYTHING we need to know about the Philadelphia Eagles, and their future.

We shall surely see what he chooses to do.....and we shall then, surely know where his heart lies....in Philadelphia.....or in Boston. What hope remains within me as a fan, will rest on what he, and he alone, does.

that's where I'm at........ <_<

#9 frenchladyfan

frenchladyfan

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,404 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 05:20 PM

thank you both for your views.

#10 wyo_eagle_fan

wyo_eagle_fan

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 888 posts
  • Fan Since:1979

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:53 PM

I'd like to give Lurie a little credit, maybe he has to buy time to get his guy he wants. There might be an opening (GM/HC) out there coming that just wasn't there this year, so he allowed this season to ride out, and hoped for the best biding his time, this year. It's tough to think of things with a bright side right now, and this was the best I could come up with.