Photo

[Spadaro] With Seven Games Still To Play ...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
217 replies to this topic

#1 DaveSpadaro

DaveSpadaro

EMB Legend

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,615 posts
  • Team:Eagles

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:18 AM

Thank you for reading this. Thank you for visiting this web site. Thank you for being such a great Eagles fan. You deserve better than a 3-6 record with seven games to play in the regular season ...

View the full article

#2 frenchladyfan

frenchladyfan

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,710 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:28 AM

coucou !

everybody deserves better.

#3 jwood5151

jwood5151

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,618 posts
  • Fan Since:1957

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:31 AM

Props to Dave Spadaro. It's a very tough job these days to write up-beat and factual stories about a team that is struggling.

#4 frenchladyfan

frenchladyfan

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,710 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:32 AM

i would like to know how nick foles is, inside. he looks incrediby cool. not 'hype' cool, but less excited than vick. but i am not sure i'm right. nor am i sure it really matters, he threw bizarrely.

#5 purple koolaid

purple koolaid

Training Camp Body

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Team:Bengals

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:32 AM

At the time McNabb was done in filly Michael Vick was the egales best option. It didn't work out. Now Foles should be given opportunity to finish season. Where are the egales going? If they keep Reid and Foles things should get better.

#6 frenchladyfan

frenchladyfan

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,710 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:34 AM

and by excited, i meant 'feverish'. vick at times looks all hot and bothered. foles doesn't. i think it's a good thing.

#7 jwood5151

jwood5151

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,618 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:36 AM

Reuben Frank clearly stating the obvious. A weakness of the Andy Reid regime particularly an offense led by MM has been inability to adapt to the strengths of the players and the group. To be sure, Reid has enjoyed success when his RBs have carried the load ( Staley, Westbrook & McCoy)...however, these performances are apparently never considered "legit" by the OC.

Reuben's comments:
http://www.csnphilly...0731&feedID=692

#8 GreenFeathers

GreenFeathers

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts
  • Fan Since:1997

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:38 AM

Didn't look like a savior? I nearly spit out my juice when I read that. It was Foles' FIRST real NFL game, he had NO first-team reps, a CRAPPY o-line and an IDIOT calling plays for him....all against a top-5 defense. And the kid finishes 32-42 for 219 and a TD pass. That's more than enough to show that we could actually do something with this kid. All we needed to see was how he handled himself under pressure and he passed with flying colors (other than a tipped INT and garbage time fumble).

I'm not wishing anything bad on Vick, but I hope we get to see Foles again next week. I also love the Gruden mention in this article....for obvious reasons.

grats on the first post, Frenchy

#9 jwood5151

jwood5151

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,618 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:46 AM

>>FLF: Mr. Foles was about to have a "great debut" as a back-up QB...but the offensive coordinator simply panicked and went crazy with passing. As Foles played the game, he became less and less reliable...and the defensive pressure was getting to him. This is not a condemnation of Foles, just an observation on how little AR & MM did to have other team mates besides Foles shoulder the burden. At 17-17, a steady dose of power football was the standard recipe for a noob, rookie QB finding his groove. Given the pass protection struggles of a depleted OL, most OC adapt by having those big men just run block and put the burden on the RBs to produce. It was readily apparent that King Dunlap was exhausted--and his play grew very sloppy. Bell and the others weren't that far behind. These guys aren't used to being starters or carrying a long time of possession attack. Foles wasn't quite thrown to the wolves,but he wasn't allowed to change up the playcalls much...and the sack/fum in the endzone was as much about offensive philosophy as it was about pass protection execution ad QB situational awareness. Foles and McCoy were not put in position to make plays by the offensive brain trust.

#10 jhop

jhop

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:50 AM

Confucious say:

This team powerhouse on paper

Porous on field

#11 wvjerome

wvjerome

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts
  • Fan Since:1979

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:51 AM

The reality here is the best was to salvage such a disappointing season will be to play as many young guys as possible. It's time to look to the future of this franchise. ANYONE WHO WILL HINDER THE PROCESS OF THE FUTURE IS AN ENEMY TO THIS TEAM RIGHT NOW. I think it's a good thing Foles will likely start against the redskins. The Eagles need to play as many young guys as possible. It wont be pretty, but at least the team will know who they can move forward with and who they will have to replace. It's not like the veterans have been getting the job done anyway. 3-6 isn't anything worth fighting to keep on the roster or even to keep playing. Let's get Curtis marsh, Brandon Hughes, and all these kids some quality playing time.

#12 DDD1952

DDD1952

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 20,807 posts
  • Fan Since:1958

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:51 AM

ASO has a $17.9 Million cap hit for next year. MV has a $15.3 million cap hit. Those 2 will not be here next year. Ryans could. DRC can't find his info.

#13 GreenFeathers

GreenFeathers

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:52 AM

@jwood151 and there you have it....for all the Reid-lovers out there...that's why him and his staff need to get out of Philly. Refusal to change up the gameplan, failure to scheme to your players' strengths...these are things a head coach must do to win.

#14 jhop

jhop

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:53 AM

jwood... i agree...we had the lead.

RUN THE BALL

Shady only gets 16 carries...avg's 5.1 ypc....

There was a few shots that Foles took that made me cringe...thank God he got up. I say put Trent in for the rest of the way and save our young QB !!!

#15 DDD1952

DDD1952

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 20,807 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:56 AM

Woody...AR/MM play selection to end the first half was bizarre. They had Shaggy backed up at his goal line with about 49 ticks remaining. Just run the clock out and get off the field. No...not those 2...pass and enough clock left for a punt...lucky they were not hurt on that sequence.

#16 jwood5151

jwood5151

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,618 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:56 AM

>>Feathers: Foles did OK. Lets not get too excited about him just yet. He made a good start--that's all.

Reminding you, I was in favor of having Foles start the season at QB. Yes, I think he has potential,but his development has to be governed and managed. To me, that means having a super solid ground game as the primary ( although tedious) offense--and Foles isn't required to make big plays--just manage the game.

Against, the Cowboys, it seems that MM just panicked when the ST squad gave up that big play TD. Rather than settling into a steady offense and letting Foles "manage"...MM went off the reservation as usual...placing Foles in the role of playmaker. MM's calls required longer duration pass protection and required Foles to dodge incoming pass rushers and take some hits. I think it was unnecessary. MM had plenty of clock left to settle into field position football and slowly get his offense toward the opponents endzone.

Spadaro makes some great comments about DANA BIBLE and BOBBY HOYING. Managed by Gruden, Hoying was a viable NFL QB. Playing for a collegiate OC ( Bible), Hoying struggled.

#17 jhop

jhop

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:57 AM

yeah lets dump MV and ASO after this year 3 D...they both getting old..too much $$, and one more abysmal season by them guys after this year...we'll get even less for them if we do a trade. Better to try and get something for them as soon as we can.

#18 GreenFeathers

GreenFeathers

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:00 PM

I'm not getting over-excited about the kid, I was just relieved to see that he could at least handle himself in a game. I know everyone is going to say "don't get too excited about Foles" but what we need to remember is that was his first game as a rookie. Did he have some weird-looking passes? Yes. Did he have some beautiful passes? Yes. I'm just giving credit where credit is due.

#19 tcn2101

tcn2101

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:00 PM

Let's face it the Eagles are real bad!

They can't block, and they sure as hell can't tackle. Romo's scampering around for instance.
I thought Jackson should have caught the intercepted throw, other "Great Receiver's" do it all the time !
The punt return was a clear clip (not called), don't let me get into the officiating.

Foles is the future and I think with protection he will be a great one.

#20 GreenFeathers

GreenFeathers

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:02 PM

Speaking of play-calling though...........WHO'S THE EINSTEIN WHO CALLED THAT DUMB FUMBLEROOSKIE PLAY AT THE END OF THE GAME? There was NO possible way we were going to win....but oh, let's put our players at risk of more injury with an unnecessary trick play. That was the last straw.

#21 jwood5151

jwood5151

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,618 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:05 PM

>>DDD: you know I am not a fan of Jon Gruden, but, I am now endorsing him as the next HC of the Eagles. This team needs a strong leader. A guy who will not back down to Roseman or Lurie. I don't see that kind of attitude coming from a collegiate or assistant coach. I think Gruden has a Superbowl in him. He knows football and football players. I think he'd do something pretty impressive with the "talent" that Reid has collected and misused in 2011 and 2012.

Agreement that Vick and Aso are cap casualties. Aso could renegotiate. Vick? I completely respect his physical courage and talent. I am too frustrated by his lack of discipline and not adapting his play for the good of the team.

I'd go forward with Edwards and Foles and be 100% fine with them as the starter and back-up.

Guys like Patterson ( & Juqua Parker) make huge difference to the DL. This DL lite and wide-9 experiment has run its course. DeMeco Ryans is my Defensive Player of the Year. These is still much that is good and/or great about the roster.

#22 philly245

philly245

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:07 PM

Let's look at the O-line first before deciding which QB we want to start. It didn't matter which qb played, they both got tattered. Even Tom Brady couldn't do much with that O-line.

#23 PhillyPhan101

PhillyPhan101

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,376 posts
  • Fan Since:1980

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:07 PM

9ers and da Sheep finally got the monkey off der back wit a tie .....Still heard the mention how "#5 didnt know the rules"...ha .....
Is this whole Vick concussion thing a farce to get the future QB some reps ?......I didnt see any hit really that looked devastating (like the Cutler and Smith who got smarched)?
Nice to FINALLY see a fade to Cooper ......Where the F is Dion and Polk?....Kendricks jersey from Santa please......Cant wait to see Foles wit a Week of prep time .......Loss yesterday was ANOTHER nail in da box for ARs crew ......Gruden...really? ....i dont see it happening

#24 jwood5151

jwood5151

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,618 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:10 PM

>>Feathers: you can add the on-sides kick and the fumblerooskie as coming from the same philosophy that believes TRICKS and NOT BASICS win football games. Reid best teams excelled at the basics and didn't need tricks. This team is too gimmicky. Henery had just screwed up an EXTRA POINT...so lets have him execute an on-sides kick. To me that was just giving possession to the Cowboys on the 50 yard line. Yes, I echo your concerns about a trick play to end the game that the team couldn't win--WHY?

#25 jwood5151

jwood5151

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,618 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:16 PM

>>PP101: I think Vick was dinged. He looked woozy to me. I also suspect he is playing hurt.

>>PP101: you don't think Gruden is realistic because...???

#26 GreenFeathers

GreenFeathers

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:20 PM

That's the main reason I want Gruden for HC. He's got fire, almost as much as a defensive coach. He's also a no-nonsense kind of guy who wouldn't allow such a soft and flashy team step onto the field every Sunday. He also compares Foles to Brad Johnson, who he worked pretty well with.

#27 DDD1952

DDD1952

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 20,807 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:23 PM

Woody...i was amazed it took MV 9 games before injured. He has really lost a step. They gave him designed runs...but never could he break contain...look like he wanted to hit the ground before hitting it upfield.

#28 1960stillwaitin

1960stillwaitin

Training Camp Body

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:25 PM

Joe Kulharich days re-visited ! Miserable, agonizing,dismal cold rainy days at Franklin field. That is what it feels like to me as a DIE HARD EAGLES FAN ! Solution ? Need to start over and go in a new direction. Blocking and Tackling back to the basics perhaps show footage of Chuck Bednarick films as a precursor of how to play the game of FOOTBALL ! Next season trade or cut those who did not produce PERIOD NO EXCEPTIONS NONE !
Rebuild with character (if you can it these days) over the most talented on paper. That didn't work out too well.

#29 Thomas Jackson

Thomas Jackson

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,220 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:29 PM

Keep grinding...too early to surrender...just jeep grinding.

The "Shady & Shaggy Show" must go on... ya never know...we could get hot.

#30 frenchladyfan

frenchladyfan

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,710 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:32 PM

i hate this nickname shaggy. there, i said it.