Photo
- - - - -

Most likely Eagles not to return in 2013

paul domowitch daily news

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 herbicide

herbicide

EMB Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,943 posts
  • Team:Eagles
  • Fan Since:1960

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:14 AM

Domowitch

Most likely Eagles not to return in 2013

Paul Domowitch, Daily News Sports Columnist
Posted: Wednesday, November 14, 2012, 12:49 AM

REGARDLESS OF whether Andy Reid stays or goes - and if Big Red were a betting man, even he would bet the ranch on "goes" right now - there will be a lot of changes at One NovaCare Way in the offseason.

Here's one man's look at those most likely to be playing somewhere else in 2013:

Going, going . . . *

Michael Vick: No matter who the Eagles' head coach is next season, Vick will not be back. He'll be 33 in June and has an $18 million salary-cap number next season. That 6-year, $100 million contract the Eagles gave him last August was really only a 2-year, $29 million deal. Only $3 million of his $16.5 million base salary in 2013 is guaranteed, which isn't enough to prevent them from showing him the door. Even if Nick Foles falls on his face, which I don't expect to happen, this will be

* Demetress Bell: signed after Jason Peters ruptured his Achilles' tendon in March, Bell has been a major disappointment. Because he's athletic, the Eagles thought he would be a perfect fit for Howard Mudd's zone-blocking system. But they thought wrong. He has struggled from Day 1. His 5-year deal essentially was a one-and-done arrangement. He earned $3.2 million this season. He's scheduled to receive an $8.5 million roster bonus in March. Hell will freeze over before he ever sees that.

* Jason Babin: The only way Babin stays is if his Henry Higgins - defensive line coach Jim Washburn - stays. And that isn't likely if Reid gets axed. Babin was a nomadic pass-rusher with only 19 1/2 sacks in his first six NFL seasons before he found a home, and two Pro Bowl selections, in Washburn's wide nine. But he will be 33 in May, has only 3 1/2 sacks in nine games this season and is scheduled to make $4.2 million next year. Wherever Washburn is next season, that's where you'll find Babin. Either there or hunting quail in Texas.

* Nnamdi Asomugha: When the Eagles signed Asomugha last year after the lockout, they thought they were getting one of the two or three best cornerbacks in the league. He wasn't that last year and he isn't that this year. He hasn't been a bust, but he hasn't been a difference-maker, either. In nine games this season, he has given up three touchdowns and allowed 18.2 yards per catch. He'll be 32 next July and is scheduled to make $15 million in 2013. There's no way that will happen, though the Eagles' cup isn't exactly running over with replacement options. And their other starting corner, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, can become a free agent in March.

* Cullen Jenkins: Jenkins is one of the few guys on the defense who legitimately can be considered a leader. But he'll be 32 in January and is due a $4.5 million roster bonus before next season. His 2013 cap number is $5.5 million. He hasn't been very good against the run this season and has only one sack in 239 pass-rushing snaps. He is showing signs of wearing down. I don't see him returning unless he agrees to a pay cut.

* King Dunlap: After what happened Sunday, I'm surprised he's still on the roster. He'll be a free agent after the season. Chances of his being re-signed are about the same as Paula Broadwell joining Holly Petraeus' sewing circle.

* Jamar Chaney and Casey Matthews: With Chaney's speed and Matthews' genes, you'd think both would have a future as core special-teams players. Then you watch the video.

Time will tell *

Jason Peters: At the end of the 2011 season, Peters was considered the best offensive tackle in the game. He was a near-unanimous All-Pro selection. Then he ruptured his Achilles' tendon in March and ruptured it again in May. Maybe he makes a complete recovery and picks up where he left off last season. Maybe he doesn't.

We're talking about a soon-to-be 31-year-old, 6-4, 345-pound tackle who, before his injury, was an athletic freak. He's scheduled to earn $10.4 million next year. Before the injury, his return was a no-brainer. Now? We'll see. I know one thing: Peters isn't the kind of guy you approach about a pay cut. You either pay him the $10.4 million or you don't pay him at all.

* DeMeco Ryans: Ryans has pretty much been everything the Eagles hoped he would be when they traded for him during the offseason. He leads the team in tackles, has been a solid run defender and has done a pretty good job in coverage. If Reid's successor decides to stick with a 4-3 defensive scheme, the Eagles won't think twice about paying Ryans the $6.6 million he's due next year. But if they switch to a 3-4 like Ryans' old team, the Houston Texans, did, they'll think a lot more than twice.

* Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie: He'll be a free agent after the season and will be looking for big money. He has a lot of talent, but doesn't always play up to it. And his tackling this season makes Asante Samuel look like Brian Urlacher. But considering the eroding skills and big paycheck of Asomugha, can the Eagles really afford to let DRC walk?

* Jason Avant: Avant has been a sure-handed, productive slot receiver for the Eagles. Caught a career-high 52 passes last season. But if Riley Cooper can continue to make plays like that one-handed touchdown grab against the Cowboys, and rookie Damaris Johnson continues to develop, Avant and his $2 million 2013 paycheck could become expendable.

* Darryl Tapp, Derek Landri and Akeem Jordan: Like DRC, all will be free agents after the season. None will command big money. All three are blue-collar types who can help a defense, even in a limited role. But the next coach might prefer to go younger and cheaper.

Safe for at least another year *

DeSean Jackson: For at least this year and next, the Eagles can afford to have Jackson average .22 touchdown catches per game. His base salary will be only $6.7 million next year and his cap number $9 million. But his salary jumps to $10.2 million and his cap number to $12.5 million in '14. If he's not visiting the end zone more frequently by then, he'll probably be playing for someone else.

Email: pdomo@aol.com

" @Pdomo

Blog: eagletarian.com

Posted ImagePaul Domowitch Daily News Sports Columnist Articles | Twitter | Email

#2 Silentop

Silentop

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,372 posts
  • Fan Since:age 8 or 9

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:59 AM

agree with this.

#3 BtotheH

BtotheH

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,769 posts
  • Fan Since:1988

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:33 AM

Agree with everything said here, FWIW I do not see us switching to a 3-4, but then again I could be wrong.

#4 time2rock

time2rock

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 37,424 posts
  • Fan Since:Dad (RIP)

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:04 PM

After a complete rehauling of the coaching staff (Reid, Marty, April, Culley, Zordich, etc.), my top 10 list of players I'd like to see gone after this season:

Vick
Babin
Bell
Jenkins
Dunlap
Reynolds
Chaney
McBriar
Tapp
Matthews

#5 vox populi

vox populi

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,188 posts
  • Fan Since:1970

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:13 PM

Agree with everything except Jackson. Desean is still one of the most feared home run hitters in the NFL. His salary is not the least bit formidable for what he brings to the field. He needs complimentary parts, but you don't unload one of your only weapons that defenses fear. Look at starting WR salaries around the NFL. Jackson is paid about right where he should be.

His lack of drops this season is very impressive. The guy's legit. Maclin, on the other hand, is going to have trouble getting a new contract.

#6 mrfitsaro

mrfitsaro

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:09 PM

Maclin should be on the list. He will want big money and he is too up and down, made of glass etc. Too bad they can't trade him. A big guy with some talent opposite Jackson would be tough to defend.

#7 Pallidrone

Pallidrone

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,965 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:28 PM

I think that Maclin needs to stay. I would like the new coach to experiment more with DeSean.

They need to use him more like Minnesota uses Harvin or NE uses Wes Welker. A slot type of receiver that you move around to get good matchups against with his speed.

I would then drop Avant and draft/find a big possession receiver to put on the other side of Maclin, especially if they are going to go with a rookie or Foles.

#8 PhillySilly

PhillySilly

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • Fan Since:Forever

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:56 PM

Good list. I hope Jason Peters stays and recovers. 70%of what he was is 10x better than anyone we have now. Desean opens the whole offence and isn;t that expensive. He is not going anywhere.
Demeco is our only run stopper and tackler he shouldn't go anywhere I don;t care what defense we play. We need CBs and a safety that knows how to tackle. As for the other folks I wouldn;t miss any of em but its about who you replace them with.

#9 time2rock

time2rock

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 37,424 posts
  • Fan Since:Dad (RIP)

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:58 AM

I think that Maclin needs to stay. I would like the new coach to experiment more with DeSean.

They need to use him more like Minnesota uses Harvin or NE uses Wes Welker. A slot type of receiver that you move around to get good matchups against with his speed.

I would then drop Avant and draft/find a big possession receiver to put on the other side of Maclin, especially if they are going to go with a rookie or Foles.

Was thinking the same but in regard to Maclin. Pair DeSean with a draft pick (someone with more size that is a more physical specimen) on the outside and use Maclin in the slot.

#10 mrfitsaro

mrfitsaro

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:37 AM

Didn't they use him more in that role until he had that bad concussion going over the middle of the field? He would be great running quick slants if he could take the beating that would expose him to.