Photo
- - - - -

Maclin defends himself against Aikman's remarks

geoff mosher csnphilly

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic

#1 herbicide

herbicide

EMB Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,044 posts
  • Team:Eagles
  • Fan Since:1960

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:34 PM

Mosher

Maclin defends himself against Aikman's remarks

November 14, 2012, 3:02 pm

Posted Image

Jeremy Maclin took umbrage with Troy Aikman’s criticisms that the Eagles receiver lacked toughness on a third-quarter pass from Nick Foles on Sunday against the Cowboys.

On a first-down pass from the Eagles’ 28-yard line, Maclin went across the middle but pulled his arms in as Foles’ pass sailed by him. Cowboys safety Gerald Sensabaugh was closing quickly on Maclin from the opposite direction.

Aikman had suggested that Maclin feared the hit from Sensabaugh and let up.

“I think it’s funny, personally,” Maclin said Wednesday. “[The] only people that really understand what happened on that play are the people that are down on that football field. It wasn’t like I was easing off because I didn’t want to get hit. I thought I couldn’t make a catch on the ball so I was bracing myself for the hit. There’s nothing wrong with that.

“At the end of the day, if you want to call that soft or scared, so be it. But anybody who understands who has been here, I’ve gone across the middle, gotten hit plenty of times and made plays.”

Aikman, FOX's top color commentator and a Hall-of-Fame quarterback who played his entire career for the Cowboys, never used the words “soft” or “scared” on air as the network replayed the incomplete pass.

“He knew it was going to be a big-time collision if he had continued to go in and make a play on that ball,” Aikman said, “and he just said, ‘No, thank you.’”

Four plays later, Maclin caught a 44-yard touchdown from Foles as the Eagles jumped ahead, 14-10. He also made a tremendous, one-handed catch on a dangerous cross-body throw from Foles later in the game and finished with eight catches for 93 yards, one of his best games of the season.

Maclin had suffered a back injury on the Eagles’ second drive that forced him to the sideline and quickly back to the lockers. He was also examined for a concussion.

On Monday, coach Andy Reid said his fourth-year wideout was still feeling sore but Maclin did participate in Wednesday’s practice.

Maclin isn’t having his best season -- he’s on pace for just under 800 yards -- but he leads the team with four touchdown receptions and would logically be the next offensive player due for a contract extension. His contract runs through 2013.

Critics among the media and fan base have occasionally questioned his toughness and durability. He missed three straight games last year with hamstring and shoulder injuries and one this year with a hip injury.

Maclin said the first-quarter back injury that forced him out briefly “had nothing to do with” the play that drew Aikman’s criticism.

E-mail Geoff Mosher at gmosher@comcastsportsnet.com

#2 Shocker54

Shocker54

EMB Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,071 posts
  • Team:Eagles

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:24 AM

I'm done with Maclin. I want a physical receiver opposite of Desean.