Photo
- - - - -

Scott ready for any role on Eagles' O-line

reuben frank csnphilly

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic

#1 herbicide

herbicide

EMB Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,238 posts
  • Team:Eagles
  • Fan Since:1960

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:42 PM

Frank

Scott ready for any role on Eagles' O-line

November 14, 2012, 7:30 pm

Posted Image

Jake Scott joined the Eagles on Monday. He started practicing with his new team Wednesday. The Eagles play the Redskins on Sunday.

Scott says he’ll be ready.

“I’ve got to be ready for this Sunday if they need me,” Scott said. “So I’ll be ready for Sunday.

“My job, my personal job right now, is just to learn this offense as fast as I can and get ready to play, so whenever they ask me to do anything I can be ready to do it.”

But it’s not easy. It’s one thing working out on your own.

It’s another playing professional football at a high level.

“It’s tough,” he said. “I mean, it’s tough to get ready to play football when you can’t actually play football. So you do what you can. You lift, you run.

“I mean, I’m in really good shape, but I still haven’t played football this year.”

Scott, the 13th offensive lineman to spend time on the Eagles’ 53-man roster this year, was quite the ironman during his first eight NFL seasons. After starting nine games as a rookie, he started 121 consecutive games with the Colts and Titans and from 2005 through 2011 was one of only five NFL offensive linemen to start all 112 possible games. Jeff Backus, Brandon Moore, Michael Roos and Casey Wiegmann were the others.

But Scott’s been out of work this year, home in Nashville, working out at nearby Vanderbilt University and waiting for an opportunity to embark on a ninth NFL season.

The Eagles, desperate to solidify a beleaguered, injured-ravaged offensive line, signed Scott for depth. And possibly more.

It certainly sounds like Scott has been told he’ll have a chance to play. He said the opportunity to get on the field was one of the main reasons he signed here.

“I was picky,” he said. “I wanted to be in the right situation. I wanted to be somewhere where I could come in and have a chance to play.”

Scott is 31, a 2004 fifth-round draft pick of the Colts. He spent four years playing for current Eagles offensive line coach Howard Mudd in Indy before four years with the Titans. All at right guard.

Where does he fit in here? Tough to say. He gives the Eagles guard depth that allows them to move rookie Dennis Kelly back outside to tackle, and he offers a possible alternative to Dallas Reynolds at center.

“They had a bunch of injuries here,” said Scott, 6-foot-5, 290 pounds. “Losing four of your starters, you’ve got to find guys and I knew that. They said that coming in. My job’s going to be to fit in wherever they need me.

“I think I have a chance to play. I think I have a chance to help a team. I think this team has got a chance to get right back into the thick of the playoff race. That’s exciting to me.”

Interesting note about Jake Scott. He’s not the first Jake Scott in the NFL.

Defensive back Jake Scott was a five-time Pro Bowl pick with the Dolphins and had 54 interceptions in just nine NFL seasons. His five career postseason INTs, and he was MVP of the Dolphins’ 14-7 win over the Redskins in Super Bowl VII in Los Angeles after the 1972 season -- one of only five defensive players ever named Super Bowl MVP.

This Jake Scott hadn’t missed a game since 2004 before this year, and he said it wasn’t easy sitting at home watching football when he felt like he should be with a team.

“It can be frustrating,” he said. “You watch the games on Sunday and you watch from the perspective of a fan, not a player. You always wish you were out there.”

E-mail Reuben Frank at rfrank@comcastsportsnet.com.

#2 massinger

massinger

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts
  • Team:Eagles

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:01 PM

Why the heck didn't the Eagles sign this guy at the beginning of the season when Kelce went out to give competition and depth on the OL. They have enouigh cap space left.