Photo
- - - - -

Foles under pressure? RG3 knows the feeling

csnphilly

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
No replies to this topic

#1 herbicide

herbicide

EMB Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,398 posts
  • Team:Eagles
  • Fan Since:1960

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:25 AM

Article's URL

Foles under pressure? RG3 knows the feeling

November 15, 2012, 9:00 am

Posted Image

Eagles fans are hoping Nick Foles can help turn around a season (see story). Redskins fans are hoping Robert Griffin III can turn around a franchise.

Having endured Gus Frerotte, Tony Banks, Jeff George, Patrick Ramsey, Mark Brunell, Jason Campbell, Rex Grossman and, of course, Donovan McNabb, the Redskins have been thirsting for a reliable quarterback, for a savior.

Then they picked RG3 with the second overall pick in this year's draft.

“I don’t [see] myself as a savior, because I don’t think anybody should ever look at themselves that way,” Griffin III said Wednesday in a conference call with Philadelphia reporters. “I see myself as a quarterback that these players have been wanting, this coaching staff has been wanting, and that the fans have been itching for for a long time. That’s the way I look at myself.”

Griffin III has been that quarterback the franchise has been looking for so far. In nine games this season he’s thrown for 1,993 yards and eight touchdowns and rushed for 529 yards and six scores.

Like Michael Vick, RG3 is a dual threat. And like Michael Vick, he's facing the challenge of keeping himself healthy. In Week 5 against Atlanta, RG3 elected not to run out of bounds, was popped by linebacker Sean Weatherspoon, and suffered a mild concussion.

“I had an experience early in the year with concussion-like symptoms,” Griffin III said. “I told my teammates I would play safer and make sure I was out there with them every time. I make an effort to play smarter, get out of bounds, slide, things like that. The past couple of games I’ve gotten down when I’m supposed to and I think my teammates appreciate that.”

It’s not clear yet if Vick or Foles will be the quarterback for the Eagles in the future. It’s not even a sure thing it will be either of them. For the Redskins, RG3 is the quarterback of the future. The fans know it, the team knows it, and he knows it, too.

“I know everybody looks to me -- good or bad -- to make things happen,” Griffin III said. “It’s just a responsibility that I know is going to be on the shoulders of the quarterback. Whether it’s the coaches or the players, everyone’s looking to me to make things happen.”

More than anything else, they're looking to him to win. So all of those aforementioned stats? They don't mean much to him right now.

"I judge myself based on wins and losses, so right now we’re 3-6," he said. "I’m not doing very well."