Photo
- - - - -

WHY SO MUCH MEDIA HYPE ON NICK FOLES

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
28 replies to this topic

#1 slick1234

slick1234

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Team:Eagles

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:36 PM

I understand the Eagles Media Center has to keep things moving, and of course having Foles as this weeks quarterback is something new. But you guys are really overdoing it --- it's overkill to the fullest. Five days of heaing about Foles starting on Sunday coming from all directions. He is simply a backup quarterback who happens to be a rookie, and we all hope he does well. But every damn thing is Foles this, Foles that and now we have to read that someone interviewed his Father about the starting role. I mean, who gives a damn ---- the fans are fed up with the Eagles this year, and yet the Eagles Media keeps feeding it to the fans. Yes Dave, we do need a break from the same old, same old.

#2 zenclaybourne

zenclaybourne

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts
  • Fan Since:1991

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:11 PM

he fans are fed up with the Eagles this year, and yet the Eagles Media keeps feeding it to the fans.

If you need a break from the Eagles, stop coming to the Eagles site. Fans are interested in hearing about Foles as we don't know much about the kid and he may well become the starter. He will be starting the next game and he is the main difference in our team, so there is a lot of focus on him.

#3 patpikunas

patpikunas

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,931 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 04:21 PM

I think you can safely say the media hype on Foles will be much less this week.

You could have Montana behind center right now and it wouldn't matter. Worst off line in the league, worst coaching in the league and the same tired old stupid playcalling.

12-31-12 cannot get here soon enough.....

#4 Tersal

Tersal

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:15 PM

I think you can safely say the media hype on Foles will be much less this week.

You could have Montana behind center right now and it wouldn't matter. Worst off line in the league, worst coaching in the league and the same tired old stupid playcalling.

12-31-12 cannot get here soon enough.....

Well we saw it the same story. The Eagles fall behind early, have an early turnover, are ineffective when in scoring position, and an undisciplined defense. Folks the problem was not Vick, we saw the same story with Foles. Vick shoulders some of the blame, however not nearly as much as he was given. Maybe RGIII could get the job done, except that he's a Redskin.

#5 eephraim

eephraim

EMB Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,024 posts
  • Fan Since:Today

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:19 PM

Well we saw it the same story. The Eagles fall behind early, have an early turnover, are ineffective when in scoring position, and an undisciplined defense. Folks the problem was not Vick. Vick shoulders some of the blame however not nearly as much as he was given.

Yup. Don't go to TATE with that logic though. You'll be called a nut hugger or licker or something romo erotic.

#6 bob5673

bob5673

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:07 AM

The reason they talk about Foles is, the rest of the team is terrible. They are trying to say something good about the team. Other than Foles, what is good......nothing.....6 games to go, 6 too many

#7 CT Eagle

CT Eagle

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,741 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:28 AM

RG3 is a stud and Shanahan tailors the game plan to help him succeed. He threw the ball 15 times.
Foles is starting his first game behind a patchwork oline and Marty has him drop back to throw 50 times. They just threw him to the wolves. Even Jaws was incredulous and remarked that is the worst way to handle a young qb. How is it possible for Marty and Reid to be so blind or arrogant or stupid.

#8 mjkvol

mjkvol

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,727 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:35 PM

RG3 is a stud and Shanahan tailors the game plan to help him succeed. He threw the ball 15 times.
Foles is starting his first game behind a patchwork oline and Marty has him drop back to throw 50 times. They just threw him to the wolves. Even Jaws was incredulous and remarked that is the worst way to handle a young qb. How is it possible for Marty and Reid to be so blind or arrogant or stupid?.

Your question is also your answer, and is all of the above.

And Jaws credibility is so far gone it's scary - actually, he's pretty much in line with all of the other idiots in the national media, but the fact that he's a local guy just makes it more egregious. He was on ESPN this morning starting off by still referring to Reid as a "great coach, as we know". Clueless doesn't even start to cover it.

#9 PhillyPhan13

PhillyPhan13

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,196 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:45 PM

Your question is also your answer, and is all of the above.

And Jaws credibility is so far gone it's scary - actually, he's pretty much in line with all of the other idiots in the national media, but the fact that he's a local guy just makes it more egregious. He was on ESPN this morning starting off by still referring to Reid as a "great coach, as we know". Clueless doesn't even start to cover it.

And if Jaws said that AR was a terrible coach he'd be a genius because he's agreeing with you. lol.

#10 CT Eagle

CT Eagle

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,741 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:51 PM

And if Jaws said that AR was a terrible coach he'd be a genius because he's agreeing with you. lol.

:lol:

#11 mjkvol

mjkvol

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,727 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:34 PM

OK, you tell me - is Reid a "great" coach?

Was he ever a "great" coach?

If so, what exactly is the benchmark?

#12 CT Eagle

CT Eagle

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,741 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:02 PM

OK, you tell me - is Reid a "great" coach?

Was he ever a "great" coach?

If so, what exactly is the benchmark?

7 division championships
taking his team to the playoffs 9x and the NFCCG 5x
leading the Eagles in both wins and winning percentage
6 of his assistants went on to become head coaches
fastest head coach to coach his team to 100 wins
Respect from his players...respect from his peers...respect from his employer and employees

Is he a great coach with respect to getting his team prepped or mid game adjustments or X's and O's ? Clock management ? Thinking on the fly or improvising ? No....we know that.

His accomplishments and body of work can't be refuted. Yes he is clearly a great coach based upon what he has accomplished despite having obvious and glaring faults. The real question is why you can't accept it.

#13 KOJO

KOJO

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 16,736 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:25 PM

7 division championships
taking his team to the playoffs 9x and the NFCCG 5x
leading the Eagles in both wins and winning percentage
6 of his assistants went on to become head coaches
fastest head coach to coach his team to 100 wins
Respect from his players...respect from his peers...respect from his employer and employees

Is he a great coach with respect to getting his team prepped or mid game adjustments or X's and O's ? Clock management ? Thinking on the fly or improvising ? No....we know that.

His accomplishments and body of work can't be refuted. Yes he is clearly a great coach based upon what he has accomplished despite having obvious and glaring faults. The real question is why you can't accept it.

I think you mistakenly omitted the 0 Lombardis.

Face it, Andy Reid is just a more accomplished version of Marty Schottenheimer, who had the incredible fortune of bamboozling an owner into giving him the keys to the kingdom for a decade & a half uninterrupted.

#14 mjkvol

mjkvol

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,727 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:37 PM

I think you mistakenly omitted the 0 Lombardis.

Face it, Andy Reid is just a more accomplished version of Marty Schottenheimer, who had the incredible fortune of bamboozling an owner into giving him the keys to the kingdom for a decade & a half uninterrupted.

That about says it.

#15 mjkvol

mjkvol

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,727 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:46 PM

His "accomplishments and body of work" may not be able to be refuted, but they absolutely do not add up to great. "Great" is Vince Lombardi, Bill Walsh, Paul Brown, Tom Landry, Bill Belicheck, and Joe Gibbs. I don't believe Reid's accomplishments quite stack up. They stack up a lot closer to a guy like Marty Schottenheimer, who is more "good" to "very good". And for the last eight years, Reid has been little more than average.

I would be able to accept it just fine if it were so. But I'll tell you what - when the "great, with obvious and glaring flaws" category gets invented, he'll be the first nominee, and I'll be the first to "accept" it.

#16 CT Eagle

CT Eagle

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,741 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:53 PM

His "accomplishments and body of work" may not be able to be refuted, but they absolutely do not add up to great. "Great" is Vince Lombardi, Bill Walsh, Paul Brown, Tom Landry, Bill Belicheck, and Joe Gibbs. I don't believe Reid's accomplishments quite stack up. They stack up a lot closer to a guy like Marty Schottenheimer, who is more "good" to "very good". And for the last eight years, Reid has been little more than average.

I would be able to accept it just fine if it were so. But I'll tell you what - when the "great, with obvious and glaring flaws" category gets invented, he'll be the first nominee, and I'll be the first to "accept" it.

I finished a great book the other day. It won several awards and the critics loved it. They may make a movie about it. It wasn't The Grapes of Wrath or anything but it was still great.

#17 mjkvol

mjkvol

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,727 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:54 PM

Reid is just plain great.

:roll:

:huh:

:wacko:

#18 CT Eagle

CT Eagle

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,741 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:04 PM

:roll:

:huh:

:wacko:

You can split hairs or talk semantics all you like. Reid is a great coach. That being said, I can't wait for him to leave town.

#19 patpikunas

patpikunas

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,931 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:05 PM

Summed up perfectly... good but not great.
His record speaks for itself

#20 mjkvol

mjkvol

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,727 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:21 PM

You can split hairs or talk semantics all you like. Reid is a great coach. That being said, I can't wait for him to leave town.

What semantics, and what hair splitting, CT? I'm flat out saying it, and the facts back me up - he was a good coach. He was very good through 2004, and has regressed badly since then.

If he's "great", then what the hell is the benchmark, anyway? You can be great, and not win any championships? You can be great, and be just over .500 in your last eight out of 14 years? You can be great, and never once close the deal? You can be great, and run a franchise into the ground the way Reid has here?

You have a pretty damn liberal definition of "great", CT. You and other true believers, along with the national media hacks and their bizarre love affair with this guy.

#21 CT Eagle

CT Eagle

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,741 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:39 PM

What semantics, and what hair splitting, CT? I'm flat out saying it, and the facts back me up - he was a good coach. He was very good through 2004, and has regressed badly since then.

If he's "great", then what the hell is the benchmark, anyway? You can be great, and not win any championships? You can be great, and be just over .500 in your last eight out of 14 years? You can be great, and never once close the deal? You can be great, and run a franchise into the ground the way Reid has here?

You have a pretty damn liberal definition of "great", CT. You and other true believers, along with the national media hacks and their bizarre love affair with this guy.

Can you be a great coach and not win any championships ? Yes

The guys you mentioned are what I would call "All Time Greats" and Reid is nowhere near that although he reached 100 wins faster than any of them. He "was" a great coach as far as I am concerned. Now it is time to say thanks and goodbye to him.

#22 Rodney_Zero

Rodney_Zero

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 45,702 posts
  • Fan Since:Hairston

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:45 PM

"Great" is Vince Lombardi, Bill Walsh, Paul Brown, Tom Landry, Bill Belicheck, and Joe Gibbs. .

No Don Shula, Chuck Knoll, Jimmy Johnson, & John Madden?

#23 mjkvol

mjkvol

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,727 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:00 PM

Couldn't name them all, Rodney!!

#24 mjkvol

mjkvol

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,727 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:10 PM

Can you be a great coach and not win any championships ? Yes

Hey, it's OK, we'll just disagree on that, CT.

My definition of "great" with regard to coaches, before anything else is considered, must include a championship or championships. Without that, it's a non-starter.

I believe you can win a championship without being a great coach (Billick, Gruden, etc.), but you absolutely cannot be a great coach without championships.

#25 Operator 7

Operator 7

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,356 posts
  • Fan Since:1970

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:47 PM

Don't leave out my favorite, Barry Switzer...

we got a job ta do, and we're gonna do it!

bay bayyyyyyy!!!!

#26 hyperswipe

hyperswipe

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:45 AM

Foles is starting his first game behind a patchwork oline and Marty has him drop back to throw 50 times. They just threw him to the wolves. Even Jaws was incredulous and remarked that is the worst way to handle a young qb. How is it possible for Marty and Reid to be so blind or arrogant or stupid.

Half of his throws (or most) were screens or behind the line of scrimmage... which are equivalent to a run play in our offense. that argument is getting old.

#27 CT Eagle

CT Eagle

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,741 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:05 PM

Half of his throws (or most) were screens or behind the line of scrimmage... which are equivalent to a run play in our offense. that argument is getting old.

How did those work out ?
My position is that the game plan was not tailored to a rookie qb in his first start behind a bad oline. Do you disagree ?

#28 Highboy

Highboy

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,238 posts
  • Fan Since:Ronda

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:33 PM

Seriously guys, does the debate even matter anymore? Great or not, regardless of how you feel, we all want Reid gone. He needs to go. Let's stay focused on that for once. All the many back and forths about Reid, Vick, the defense, its all pretty much irrelevant now. As for Foles and the original post? Of course the media hype is ridiculous, but judging his abilities one way or the other at this point isn't fair one way or the other. Only Reid would make a kid like that behind this offensive line throw the ball that much in his first start.

#29 CT Eagle

CT Eagle

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,741 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:34 PM

Seriously guys, does the debate even matter anymore? Great or not, regardless of how you feel, we all want Reid gone. He needs to go. Let's stay focused on that for once. All the many back and forths about Reid, Vick, the defense, its all pretty much irrelevant now. As for Foles and the original post? Of course the media hype is ridiculous, but judging his abilities one way or the other at this point isn't fair one way or the other. Only Reid would make a kid like that behind this offensive line throw the ball that much in his first start.

Agreed