- - - - -

Baffled Celek on Eagles' freefall: 'It makes me sick'

andy schwartz csnphilly

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic

#1 herbicide

herbicide

EMB Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,237 posts
  • Team:Eagles
  • Fan Since:1960

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:48 AM

Schwartz

Baffled Celek on Eagles' freefall: 'It makes me sick'

November 19, 2012, 8:00 am

Posted Image

LANDOVER, Md. -- Brent Celek stood in the middle of the offensive players' side of the visiting locker room at FedEx Field looking defeated and disappointed and disgusted.

Might as well throw dejected in there too.

The Eagles had just suffered -- more literally than figuratively -- their sixth straight loss, 31-6 to the Redskins, and Celek had suffered another disappointing game. He had five catches for 42 yards, but for the second straight week he deflected a pass into the hands of a defender. He also had another drop.

So there he stood engulfed by reporters wondering what on earth has happened to the Eagles team that earlier this season had beaten the Ravens and Giants and hung with the Steelers.

That team is long gone. So too it seems is the sure-handed, bruising tight end who once looked like the second coming of Mark Bavaro.

And Celek has no clue why.

"I'm not playing well," he said. "We're not playing well. I don't know what else to say."

But the questions kept coming, and to his credit, Celek kept trying to find answers. But he frequently had none.

"I don't get it," he said.

"I don't know," he said.

"I'm wondering the same thing," he said. "If I had an answer, I’d tell you,"

"I have no idea," he said.

What he did know is this: He's in his sixth year with the Eagles, and it's never been this bad.

"For sure. Yeah," he said. "Losing six straight -- I hate losing. I know everyone here hates losing. This is our job. This is what we're supposed to do, and we're failing at it."

And because he's failing, it hurts that much more.

"Yeah," he said. "Especially because I'm supposed to be a leader on this team. It makes me sick."

And he has no cure.

“I can’t explain it. I try to think of it, the past few weeks, what we can do to change, what we can do different and win. The whole goal is to win a game, and I don’t get it. I don’t know," he said.

“I felt like going into this game, guys were fired up. We were ready to play. And we got whooped. I hope we can stay up and keep it going and get ready for next week, because we’ve got six more games to play."

E-mail Andy Schwartz at aschwartz@comcastsportsnet.com.

#2 NYEagle2

NYEagle2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Team:Eagles

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:19 PM

Brent:  two tipped balls out his hands that directly (New Orleans) and only slightly indirectly (Washington) lead to touchdowns for the other team.  It ain't helping, that's for sure.