- - - - -

Jim Harbaugh is kind of a BOSS

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
30 replies to this topic

#1 Froggy

Froggy

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,949 posts
  • Team:Patriots

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:10 AM

Created his very own little QB controversy...he's very open about it, and doesn't give a ish what the media or fans or even owner or GM think. He wants to go with the hot hand, he wants to keep the competition fresh, I love it.

Doesn't matter where you were drafted, doesn't matter how much money you're making...the better man will be taking the reps, sends a GREAT message to the rest of his team. Very few coaches in the league have the balls to do this, sadly.

What I love about Harbaugh is that you can absolutely tell, from the way his players play, that each and every one of them would take a bullet for him...and he lets them know hes got their backs as well.

It's only a matter of time before the 9ers take home their 6th Lombardi imo

#2 Happyfoosball

Happyfoosball

EMB Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,993 posts
  • Team:Giants

Posted 22 November 2012 - 05:56 AM

No Froggy.  I understand your enthuasim but you are wrong.  This is his first major mistake as a head coach.  QB's are not swappable at mid season.  This QB had a very good game but there will be growing pains and it will cost the 49ers games.  What he's doing is stupid.  Alex Smith may not be a world beater, but he's ideal in that system with that team.  He's played very well this year and shouldn't be benched 10 games in during a super bowl contending season.  I call failure, and because of moves like this the 49ers may be further from RIng number 6 than I thought.

The time to make a QB change was the preaseason, not now.

#3 Gmen4ever

Gmen4ever

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 15,098 posts
  • Fan Since:Conception

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:50 AM

I can't stomach Harbaugh, but I have to agree about this move. It's ballsy, and it sends a message that no one on the roster is completely safe if they dont do their job. Alex Smith is a garbage QB. How many more chances are required for him to prove it to everyone?

#4 Machine

Machine

EMB Fossil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 63,744 posts
  • Team:Eagles
  • Fan Since:Born

Posted 22 November 2012 - 11:47 AM

Harbaugh is the kind of coach we need. No nonsense kind of coach

#5 Froggy

Froggy

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,949 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 11:48 AM

View PostHappyfoosball, on 22 November 2012 - 05:56 AM, said:

No Froggy.  I understand your enthuasim but you are wrong.  This is his first major mistake as a head coach.  QB's are not swappable at mid season.  This QB had a very good game but there will be growing pains and it will cost the 49ers games.  What he's doing is stupid.  Alex Smith may not be a world beater, but he's ideal in that system with that team.  He's played very well this year and shouldn't be benched 10 games in during a super bowl contending season.  I call failure, and because of moves like this the 49ers may be further from RIng number 6 than I thought.

The time to make a QB change was the preaseason, not now.

Lets wait and see I guess...it might inspire Alex Smith to beat Kapersomething out for the job and play out of his mind, or Kapersomething might play out of his mind the rest of the season and the 49ers go all the way. One way or another, there's a chance this move might yield results, lets wait and see what happens....personally, I love his approach. I don't agree with you at all that QB decisions HAVE to be made in preseason.

I also love the fact that he has confidence in his team to make a move like this and not worry about how they'll react, and he certainly doesn't give two F's what the media thinks.

#6 dmac5

dmac5

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 15,331 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 11:53 AM

View PostGmen4ever, on 22 November 2012 - 09:50 AM, said:

I can't stomach Harbaugh, but I have to agree about this move. It's ballsy, and it sends a message that no one on the roster is completely safe if they dont do their job. Alex Smith is a garbage QB. How many more chances are required for him to prove it to everyone?

Agreed.

View PostMachine, on 22 November 2012 - 11:47 AM, said:

This.

#7 Gmen4ever

Gmen4ever

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 15,098 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 11:54 AM

View PostMachine, on 22 November 2012 - 11:47 AM, said:

He's not afraid to make changes, and he doesn't care if feelings get hurt. It's something that Tom Coughlin doesn't understand, and I despise that aspect of him as a coach. Putting David Diehl back at RT, when Locklear was playing the hell out of the position, is just one example. Starting Bradshaw, despite the fact that Brown is running much harder, having more success, and is 100%, is another. It's a stupid mentality, especially with the whole season potentially on the line.

#8 cowboy30

cowboy30

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,287 posts
  • Team:Cowboys
  • Fan Since:the embryo

Posted 22 November 2012 - 11:58 AM

I don't agree with this move but I like what he's doing with the team. I want that type of coach who doesn't take any BS. A bunch of starters on the Cowboys team would be on the bench if Harbaugh was here.

#9 Froggy

Froggy

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,949 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:01 PM

View Postcowboy30, on 22 November 2012 - 11:58 AM, said:

I don't agree with this move but I like what he's doing with the team. I want that type of coach who doesn't take any BS. A bunch of starters on the Cowboys team would be on the bench if Harbaugh was here.

Harbaugh wouldn't last 5 minutes with the Cowboys with an owner like Jerry...he'd tell him to take this job and shove it. Harbaugh wants to rule his team with an iron fist.

#10 Machine

Machine

EMB Fossil

• Members
  • 63,744 posts
  • Fan Since:Born

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:03 PM

The Birds need somebody to come in with no connections to the players and tell it like it is.  If they got a problem, you can f'n go home and tweet to the fans more about how big a crybaby you are.

#11 Gmen4ever

Gmen4ever

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 15,098 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:11 PM

View PostFroggy, on 22 November 2012 - 12:01 PM, said:

Harbaugh wouldn't last 5 minutes with the Cowboys with an owner like Jerry...he'd tell him to take this job and shove it. Harbaugh wants to rule his team with an iron fist.

Agreed. Jerry still wants a lot of input as to whats best for the team, even though he doesn't have a damn clue. Harbaugh would never make it, or would at the very least end up behind bars for assault

#12 mike030270

mike030270

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,476 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:13 PM

Everyone could understand him going after Peyton but this is different.

#13 EagleJoe8

EagleJoe8

EMB Fossil

• Members
  • 79,767 posts
  • Fan Since:1992

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:33 PM

View PostFroggy, on 22 November 2012 - 11:48 AM, said:

Lets wait and see I guess...it might inspire Alex Smith to beat Kapersomething out for the job and play out of his mind, or Kapersomething might play out of his mind the rest of the season and the 49ers go all the way. One way or another, there's a chance this move might yield results, lets wait and see what happens....personally, I love his approach. I don't agree with you at all that QB decisions HAVE to be made in preseason.

I also love the fact that he has confidence in his team to make a move like this and not worry about how they'll react, and he certainly doesn't give two F's what the media thinks.

Dude, come on. It's not hard to get his name right.

It's Kaperwhatshisface.

#14 Froggy

Froggy

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,949 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 02:19 PM

View PostEagleJoe8, on 22 November 2012 - 12:33 PM, said:

Dude, come on. It's not hard to get his name right.

It's Kaperwhatshisface.

:lol: names where there's an "a" that comes before an "e" just don't sit well with me at all

#15 Happyfoosball

Happyfoosball

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 11,993 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:39 PM

View PostFroggy, on 22 November 2012 - 11:48 AM, said:

All I can say I have seen team after team fail and lose important games mostly because of mid season QB changes.  QB's almost always hit that wall 6 games in, and for this guy 6 games in is the playoffs.  He hits a wall in the playoff game and that's the season for the 49ers.  That's why you do it in July, not in November.  Maybe if he were a veteran with starter experience I would feel differently but he's a young player who still hasn't seen a lot.  But hey I could be wrong, I just don't think I am.  Shades of Romo fumbling that snap are still fresh in my mind.  And he was one of the more successful young QB's to get swapped in.

#16 Froggy

Froggy

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,949 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:26 PM

View PostHappyfoosball, on 22 November 2012 - 07:39 PM, said:

All I can say I have seen team after team fail and lose important games mostly because of mid season QB changes.  QB's almost always hit that wall 6 games in, and for this guy 6 games in is the playoffs.  He hits a wall in the playoff game and that's the season for the 49ers.  That's why you do it in July, not in November.  Maybe if he were a veteran with starter experience I would feel differently but he's a young player who still hasn't seen a lot.  But hey I could be wrong, I just don't think I am.  Shades of Romo fumbling that snap are still fresh in my mind.  And he was one of the more successful young QB's to get swapped in.

Bledsoe was a disaster when Romo was swapped in, they had a pathetic offensive line and a complete statue for a QB, if not for the move to Romo, Dallas wouldn't have made the playoffs that season.

I honestly don't think Harbaugh believes in Smith, that story was told when he went hard after Peyton Manning in the off season and still failed...now he's doing everything he can to phase Smith out. Jim Harbaugh is a former QB  in the NFL, he knows a thing or two about whether a QB can take his team all the way or not. He's simply not sold on him and he's making it known.

#17 Happyfoosball

Happyfoosball

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 11,993 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:55 PM

View PostFroggy, on 22 November 2012 - 08:26 PM, said:

Bledsoe was a disaster when Romo was swapped in, they had a pathetic offensive line and a complete statue for a QB, if not for the move to Romo, Dallas wouldn't have made the playoffs that season.

I honestly don't think Harbaugh believes in Smith, that story was told when he went hard after Peyton Manning in the off season and still failed...now he's doing everything he can to phase Smith out. Jim Harbaugh is a former QB  in the NFL, he knows a thing or two about whether a QB can take his team all the way or not. He's simply not sold on him and he's making it known.

You can't say that because we really don't know.  Bledsoe took a team to the super bowl, he may have rebounded that year.  And my point remains, he may not believe in Smith's talent and if he doesn't I would have to say I am in agreement with him, HOWEVER making a switch 10 games in to a championship contending season is a mistake.  IMO.  To me it's just a rule, you just don't do it.  You don't screw with a championship quality teams chemistry this late in the game.  Look at what losing Plaxico did to the 2008 Giants?  He wasn't even a QB.  This guy had a great game, but there is no telling if he will be good down the stretch.  If he's not, they will lose.  Then you have to go back to Smith and after being benched is Smith going to be the same player?  Maybe?  IMO it's a huge risk and a stupid one to take.  The 49ers are good enough to win a super bowl with Alex Smith at QB.  They are just that good.  If they wanted to make a switch they should have months ago because as good as they are, they aren't as good as the 90 Giants and they are the only team I can think of that won it all with a late season QB switch.

#18 Froggy

Froggy

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,949 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:25 AM

View PostHappyfoosball, on 22 November 2012 - 09:55 PM, said:

You can't say that because we really don't know.  Bledsoe took a team to the super bowl, he may have rebounded that year.  And my point remains, he may not believe in Smith's talent and if he doesn't I would have to say I am in agreement with him, HOWEVER making a switch 10 games in to a championship contending season is a mistake.  IMO.  To me it's just a rule, you just don't do it.  You don't screw with a championship quality teams chemistry this late in the game.  Look at what losing Plaxico did to the 2008 Giants?  He wasn't even a QB.  This guy had a great game, but there is no telling if he will be good down the stretch.  If he's not, they will lose.  Then you have to go back to Smith and after being benched is Smith going to be the same player?  Maybe?  IMO it's a huge risk and a stupid one to take.  The 49ers are good enough to win a super bowl with Alex Smith at QB.  They are just that good.  If they wanted to make a switch they should have months ago because as good as they are, they aren't as good as the 90 Giants and they are the only team I can think of that won it all with a late season QB switch.

Umm...not it's not :huh: where'd you get that "rule" from? In 2001 Drew Bledsoe went down, Brady came in, Bledsoe eventually got healthy...but Brady never came out. Did it mess with the Patriots' chemistry that season? The 49ers are way too tight of a group and way too desciplined a team for anything like this to mess with them as a team. Also, their QBs aren't even CLOSE to being their best players or their leaders. Both Alex Smith and Kapersomething are very very peripheral figures on that roster, they just happen to play the QB decision, nobody looks to them for leadership.

#19 L.E.

L.E.

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 19,305 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:57 PM

Of course he's kind of a boss, he's the HC. Duh, man.

#20 Froggy

Froggy

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,949 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:50 AM

View PostL.E., on 23 November 2012 - 10:57 PM, said:

Of course he's kind of a boss, he's the HC. Duh, man.

Nah nah nah...not a 'boss'...he's a BOSS! A Don, a beast, a diesel, Bruce Springsteen...that kinda thing

#21 Happyfoosball

Happyfoosball

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 11,993 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 06:34 PM

View PostFroggy, on 23 November 2012 - 06:25 AM, said:

Umm...not it's not :huh: where'd you get that "rule" from? In 2001 Drew Bledsoe went down, Brady came in, Bledsoe eventually got healthy...but Brady never came out. Did it mess with the Patriots' chemistry that season? The 49ers are way too tight of a group and way too desciplined a team for anything like this to mess with them as a team. Also, their QBs aren't even CLOSE to being their best players or their leaders. Both Alex Smith and Kapersomething are very very peripheral figures on that roster, they just happen to play the QB decision, nobody looks to them for leadership.

Drew went down in the fourth or fifth game, not late in the year.  That is the difference.

#22 blakjak

blakjak

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,918 posts
  • Fan Since:Day one

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:28 PM

IMO its a dumb move.

Smith got them to the NFCCG last year and hasnt done anything this year to lose his job.

Harblowhardbaugh IMO thinks he's cute trying to shake things up and I think it'll blow up on him in the long run.

#23 CharGP02A

CharGP02A

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,965 posts
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:55 AM

Let's be honest here, Alex Smith is an average QB. Benching him does hurt the 49ers outlook on the Super Bowl but it sets them up for MANY years. I'd rather focus on having the ability to win the Super Bowl or be in contention for 5 years or so instead of "going for it" this year. How many times do teams "go for it" then not win the Super Bowl? Alex Smith peaked last year. He won't get better and he hasn't. Why start a QB who is middle of the road and just won't get better? Game manager QB's don't win Super Bowls anymore. I'm not saying that Colin Kaepernick is going to be good. I'm saying that Alex Smith won't be great. Time to find out what you have in the kid.

#24 Rodney_Zero

Rodney_Zero

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 45,560 posts
  • Fan Since:Hairston

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:12 PM

He learned it from Ditka

#25 bumpy93

bumpy93

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 15,817 posts
  • Fan Since:1993

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:32 PM

Kaps looks like he has "it".

Those offensive players look re-energized with him at QB IMO

#26 Froggy

Froggy

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,949 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:10 PM

View Postblakjak, on 24 November 2012 - 07:28 PM, said:

IMO its a dumb move.

Smith got them to the NFCCG last year and hasnt done anything this year to lose his job.

Harblowhardbaugh IMO thinks he's cute trying to shake things up and I think it'll blow up on him in the long run.

Everyone I've talked to wants to defend Smith saying that he hasn't done anything to lose his job, granted. But why wait for him to do something to lose his job? This coach wants to win, and he simply feels that somewhere down the line he's gonna need a QB that doesn't just "manage" games, or "drives the bus". He feels he's gonna need someone to make plays for him, we all know Alex Smith can't do that.

He's making a preemptive move because he knows in the playoffs he might need his QB to make things happen, or to bring his team back from behind.

I love his approach, and I couldn't agree more with his sentiments. Lets stop with the Alex Smith sob stories.

#27 bumpy93

bumpy93

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 15,817 posts
  • Fan Since:1993

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:20 PM

View PostFroggy, on 26 November 2012 - 01:10 PM, said:

Everyone I've talked to wants to defend Smith saying that he hasn't done anything to lose his job, granted. But why wait for him to do something to lose his job? This coach wants to win, and he simply feels that somewhere down the line he's gonna need a QB that doesn't just "manage" games, or "drives the bus". He feels he's gonna need someone to make plays for him, we all know Alex Smith can't do that.

He's making a preemptive move because he knows in the playoffs he might need his QB to make things happen, or to bring his team back from behind.

I love his approach, and I couldn't agree more with his sentiments. Lets stop with the Alex Smith sob stories.

Youre right about why waiting until your QB does something stupid or is that bad he needs to be replaced?

Jim Harrbs thinks his offense will be better served with Colin Kapernick behind center RIGHT NOW even more then with Alex Smith back there. And so far hes been correct. Colin is 2-0 and yes he beat the Saints and thier terrible defense, but The Saints were probally on of the hottest teams in the NFL with winning 5 of 6 games. But 1st he destroyed a GREAT Bears defense 2 weeks ago. He looks ready now, so why not play him right now??

#28 rocketman44

rocketman44

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,278 posts
  • Team:49ers
  • Fan Since:1967

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:36 PM

One thing to bear in mind is that this situation was thrust on Harbaugh because of Smith's concussion. So it's not like he just yanked Smith and put in Kaepernick.What I'm saying is that I'm not ready to say that this is some genius move on Harbaugh's part, as if he saw something no one else saw. Smith was the the starter right up until he was hurt.

But what he may see is that Kaepernick can take the offense some places that Smith can't, that he adds a dimension. If that continues to hold true, then Kaepernick is their best chance to win. But that's still an "if" in my view. Right now, I say start the kid and see what you have.

Smith is a capable QB (he's 20-5-1 under Harbaugh). But there seemed to be limitations to the offense. It seems the 49ers don't need much more than a good, capable game manager, and Smith is just that, and maybe a little more. But what if they have a lot more than that in Kaepernick? What if they have a QB who can win games when not everything is going well, who can become a difference-maker, If they have that guy in Kaepernick, they owe it to themselves to find out.

#29 KzEaglefan86

KzEaglefan86

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,498 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:45 PM

View PostCharGP02A, on 26 November 2012 - 09:55 AM, said:

Let's be honest here, Alex Smith is an average QB. Benching him does hurt the 49ers outlook on the Super Bowl but it sets them up for MANY years. I'd rather focus on having the ability to win the Super Bowl or be in contention for 5 years or so instead of "going for it" this year. How many times do teams "go for it" then not win the Super Bowl? Alex Smith peaked last year. He won't get better and he hasn't. Why start a QB who is middle of the road and just won't get better? Game manager QB's don't win Super Bowls anymore. I'm not saying that Colin Kaepernick is going to be good. I'm saying that Alex Smith won't be great. Time to find out what you have in the kid.
I think this is a pretty fair assessment.

However you look at it, it's a ballsy move by Harbaugh.  The easy move would be sticking with Smith and justifying it by saying you don't lose your starting spot because of an injury. Also, if you went back to Smith after he recovered from the concussion you could bench him in favor of Kaepernick if he becomes ineffective or regresses. I'm not so sure you have the same option now with Kaepernick as your starter and Smith as the backup.

#30 GoNL

GoNL

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:05 AM

harbaugh's trac record with QB development is amazing, goin all the way from when he coached at USD. It is spectacular. What a coach