Photo
- - - - -

Hot prospects - coaches

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
30 replies to this topic

#1 flyerdog

flyerdog

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,372 posts
  • Team:Eagles

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:00 PM

from nfl.com

The 2012 NFL season is far from over, but it's never too early to look ahead. There figures to be several head-coaching vacancies following the season, so let's get a jump on examining some potential candidates for those jobs. I've come up with a list of seven names that will likely garner serious consideration for any head-coaching opportunities that arise following the season. I've also included brief comments from sources inside the NFL about each of the seven candidates.

(Scott Olmos/US Presswire)

Chip Kelly

Current job: Head coach, University of Oregon
Kelly has only been a head coach for four seasons at the collegiate level, but he has already established a sterling résumé. He has captured three Pac-10/Pac-12 titles and his team is currently undefeated and ranked No. 2 in the nation. He turned down the Tampa Bay Buccaneers job last offseason, but will likely have another NFL opportunity in 2013. His up-tempo offense would need some alterations to work at the NFL level, but his organizational skills and creativity will be very attractive to NFL owners.
NFC executive: "He runs the best practices I've ever seen. I would hire him in a second if I ever had the opportunity."

(Kevin Terrell/Associated Press)

Kyle Shanahan

Current job: Offensive coordinator, Washington Redskins
The Redskins' offense has been the talk of the 2012 NFL season. Robert Griffin III has been outstanding, but the design of the Redskins' scheme has been terrific, as well. Kyle Shanahan is getting a lot of praise around the NFL for quickly developing RG3 and designing a creative offense to fit his skills. Shanahan also was very successful during his two-year stint as the Houston Texans' offensive coordinator. In 2009, the Texans finished with the NFL's fourth-ranked offense under his leadership. Despite being only 32 years old, the son of Mike Shanahan already has coached in the NFL for nine seasons.
AFC executive: "Kyle is extremely smart and he's excellent with quarterbacks. He has all of his dad's qualities and he's going to be a great head coach."

(Paul Spinelli/Associated Press)

Mike McCoy

Current job: Offensive coordinator, Denver Broncos
McCoy has 13 years of NFL coaching experience, including the past four as the Broncos offensive coordinator. Last season, his reputation around the NFL soared as a result of his handling of the transition from Kyle Orton to Tim Tebow. He completely overhauled his scheme in the middle of the season to accommodate Tebow's specific skill set. (OMG!!!!) The Broncos finished the season with the NFL's No. 1 rushing attack. This season, he has smoothly transitioned his offense to suit Peyton Manning. They are currently ranked fourth in passing. Those rankings highlight McCoy's flexibility and willingness to adapt his scheme to his personnel. (OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
NFC personnel executive: "I don't know Mike personally, but I've taken notice of the job he's done in Denver. He deserves a lot of credit for their success in 2011."

(Evan Pinkus/Associated Press)

Perry Fewell

Current job: Defensive coordinator, New York Giants
Fewell has done an outstanding job with the Giants. Their run to the Super Bowl last season was largely the result of his punishing defensive unit. He has overcome several injuries to key personnel and his reputation around the league is rock solid. He has interviewed for head-coaching jobs in the past, but those teams chose to go in a different direction. Many around the NFL believe he will not be passed over again.
AFC personnel executive: "I've never heard anything negative about him. His results speak for themselves and he deserves a head-coaching opportunity."

(Duane Burleson/Associated Press)

Brad Seely

Current job: Special teams coordinator, San Francisco 49ers
Seely has an excellent résumé and should garner consideration for any head-coaching vacancies following the season. He has coached in the NFL for 22 seasons, 10 of which were spent as the special teams coach under Bill Belichick in New England. He has transformed the 49ers' special teams unit into the NFL's very best. The fact that Baltimore's John Harbaugh has successfully made the transition from special teams coach to head coach should help Seely's candidacy.
Former player: "Brad was very well respected in our locker room. He is very detailed and he knows how to communicate."

(Ross D. Franklin/Associated Press)

Ray Horton

Current job: Defensive coordinator, Arizona Cardinals
Horton has quickly established a strong reputation as one of the NFL's top defensive minds. Following a 10-year playing career, he's been a successful assistant coach for 18 years. He served as the secondary coach for the Steelers prior to joining the Cardinals staff as defensive coordinator. The Cardinals have one of the NFL's top defensive units and Horton's scheme is broadly praised around the league.
NFC personnel executive: "He's going to be impressive during the interview process. He's very smart and confident and he has the ability to relate to everyone."

(Andrew Weber/US Presswire)

Bill O'Brien

Current job: Head coach, Penn State
It is highly unlikely that O'Brien would depart Penn State after only one season on the job. He has an incredibly expensive buyout clause in his contract and that would be a major deterrent to potential NFL suitors. That being said, he is a very hot name around NFL circles. He was a successful assistant under Bill Belichick and he has shown incredible leadership in guiding the Penn State program through an extraordinarily difficult situation.
Former AFC personnel executive: "Knowing Bill, he has too much integrity to leave those kids, but he's eventually going to be a very successful NFL head coach. He's very tough and organized and he's a winner."

#2 RedskinsFan01

RedskinsFan01

EMB Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,920 posts
  • Team:Redskins

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:39 PM

I think Kyle Shanahan has been told he is the next coach of the skins after his dad retires.

#3 Speed10

Speed10

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,354 posts
  • Fan Since:birth

Posted 24 November 2012 - 11:32 PM

would you guys mind Ray Horton for the Eagles next HC?

#4 EagleJoe8

EagleJoe8

EMB Fossil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 83,596 posts
  • Fan Since:1992

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:41 AM

I'd be ok with giving him a shot.

#5 oneil44

oneil44

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Fan Since:1989

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:39 AM

Ray Horton NEEDS to be the next head coach for the Philadelphia Eagles. His defense right now in Arizona has the Cardinals competing in games with New England and Atlanta. That shows that Horton has the ability to motivate his D and coach his D even when their season is tanking as well. Horton also has spent a lot of time under the Pittsburgh Steelers D coordinator D LeBeau, and spent time with the Steelers organization in general. The Steelers are one of the premier franchises in the league right now and a Steeler mindset running an organization is perfectly fine with me. I would trust Horton in his hiring of an offensive coordinator and positional coaches given his experience.

Old coaches like Gruden and Cowher shouldn't be candidates given the fact that they already have rings, and the motivation might not be there to win another.

College coaches such as Chip Kelly may not have NFL experience and aren't suitable for Sunday football. Aside from Harbaugh out in San Fran, most college coaches including Stever Spurrier, Nick Saban, and Bobby Petrino have had trouble adjusting to the NFL. It's too high of a risk in my opinion.

Then there are other league coordinators like McCoy in Denver and Shanahan's son in DC, but this is a defensive minded city. When you mention names like Buddy Ryan and Jim Johnson, fans are immediately reminded of the respect these men had as coaches.

I think Horton is the best long term solution for the Eagles at head coach and will fit this town the best, lemme know what you guys think.

#6 Speed10

Speed10

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,354 posts
  • Fan Since:birth

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:14 AM

Horton has my vote

#7 c_u_in_tampa

c_u_in_tampa

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,634 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:31 PM

I want the complete opposite of AR as the new HC, so Ray Horton gets my vote

#8 dawkins4prez

dawkins4prez

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 16,357 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:10 AM

I want the complete opposite of AR as the new HC, so Ray Horton gets my vote

I like Kelly and Horton. I know a lot of people want a defensive coach the way you want to screw a blonde after breaking up with a brunette, but Kelly is my #1 choice. It's an offensive league and we already have the players like McCoy and DSJ for what Kelly does (the spread is easy on the O-line too).

Kelly is a riskier pick but there is so much to like about him. You hear about the practices, you hear about Gruden going to him for advice and then the PAC-10 titles over USC without a single 1st rd draft pick on his roster (gave 'Bama all they could handle too). This is not your run of the mill college coach who just recruits bigger, faster guys and screams at them until they enter a bloody rage. This guy is a star in the making I think the only hurdle for him will be recognizing NFL talent, but that's what our new GM is for.

Horton is as solid and sound a pick as you can make though. Sure would be nice to see some snot-knocker football again. But I wonder if he isn't just another 10-6 coach, especially in this era, and I can't think of a single player we have on either side of the ball that fits what he likes.

#9 LesDawg1978

LesDawg1978

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,130 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:11 AM

RAY HORTON!!!

He has it in him to get it done. He will put emphasis on the defensive side of the ball as well.

Anyone else is a waste of time.

#10 LesDawg1978

LesDawg1978

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,130 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:18 AM

Ray Horton NEEDS to be the next head coach for the Philadelphia Eagles. His defense right now in Arizona has the Cardinals competing in games with New England and Atlanta. That shows that Horton has the ability to motivate his D and coach his D even when their season is tanking as well. Horton also has spent a lot of time under the Pittsburgh Steelers D coordinator D LeBeau, and spent time with the Steelers organization in general. The Steelers are one of the premier franchises in the league right now and a Steeler mindset running an organization is perfectly fine with me. I would trust Horton in his hiring of an offensive coordinator and positional coaches given his experience.

Old coaches like Gruden and Cowher shouldn't be candidates given the fact that they already have rings, and the motivation might not be there to win another.

College coaches such as Chip Kelly may not have NFL experience and aren't suitable for Sunday football. Aside from Harbaugh out in San Fran, most college coaches including Stever Spurrier, Nick Saban, and Bobby Petrino have had trouble adjusting to the NFL. It's too high of a risk in my opinion.

Then there are other league coordinators like McCoy in Denver and Shanahan's son in DC, but this is a defensive minded city. When you mention names like Buddy Ryan and Jim Johnson, fans are immediately reminded of the respect these men had as coaches.

I think Horton is the best long term solution for the Eagles at head coach and will fit this town the best, lemme know what you guys think.

Aww man! I sent a reply and then saw what you put down.

You already know what's best for this team!

RAY HORTON!!!!!

#11 Stephen1

Stephen1

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 17,139 posts
  • Team:Cowboys
  • Fan Since:1982

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:20 AM

If Kyle Shannahan stays as the OC in DC RG3 won't last another 2-3 years, kid takes about 2 kill shots per week due to the design of that offense.

Aww man! I sent a reply and then saw what you put down.

You already know what's best for this team!

RAY HORTON!!!!!

yo Les!

you know he played for Dallas in the early 90's right?

#12 LesDawg1978

LesDawg1978

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,130 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:21 AM

If Kyle Shannahan stays as the OC in DC RG3 won't last another 2-3 years, kid takes about 2 kill shots per week due to the design of that offense.

yo Les!

yo Les!

Yo, Stevo!

Nah, I didn't know that. I just got a feeling that this dude will bring Philly back to where it needs to be. He's got AZ's defense responding very well and has been for the last 2 years.

We could re-open our window within the next 2-3 years with him. We have a nice core in place already.

#13 KzEaglefan86

KzEaglefan86

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 10,567 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:22 AM

yo Les!

Yeah, but it looks as if he's put his drug problem behind him.

#14 Rodney_Zero

Rodney_Zero

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 45,702 posts
  • Fan Since:Hairston

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:09 PM

I want Ray Handley

#15 eaglefan78

eaglefan78

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:34 PM

I kind of want Pat Shurmer as the next HC if Cleveland gives him the ax at the end of the season. He did wonders for Sam Bradford as the OC for the Rams and look what he has been doing with Weeden. Not to mention, his team is playing tough even with their season in the tank. Yes, he is from the Andy Reid coaching tree, but I think that translates well as our Offense won't have to learn a new playbook, just a new style of play calling, which I think is what we all really want. If he brought Childress and Jauron with him, that would be great as well.

#16 SBorBust

SBorBust

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,655 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:40 PM

When Lurie and Banner came to their senses and scrapped the Ray Rhodes Project, I think I remember that the two main goals were to find a guy who was detail oriented and who was a part of multiple Super Bowl winners. I would say that Gruden is probably the frontrunner for the job.

#17 PhillyEagleDude2

PhillyEagleDude2

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,350 posts
  • Fan Since:Cunningham

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:17 PM

Ray Horton sounds great for me.

I think this is the ideal time to make a switch to a 3-4 defense also..lot of talent coming out should be able to get a good nose tackle.

#18 Innocence096

Innocence096

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 28,292 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:20 AM

Horton would be good but moving to a 3-4 could be a two year process. Like it was mentioned though this draft class is filled with 3-4 guys. I really don't want Chip Kelly. I don't like the college route. Also on that list is Kyle Shanahan who I hope doesn;t even get interviewed here. Mike Mccoy I would like to stay away from. Anybody who is the coordinator of a Peyton Manning led offense leaves me skeptical

#19 evilwaldo

evilwaldo

EMB Fossil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,968 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:17 AM

Not a sexy choice but Andy was not a sexy choice when he was hired. What impresses me is success at every level in the NFL.

Rick Dennison bio from Texans website.

http://www.houstonte...36-c892f704d5ba

#20 Rodney_Zero

Rodney_Zero

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 45,702 posts
  • Fan Since:Hairston

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:20 PM

Not a sexy choice but Andy was not a sexy choice when he was hired. What impresses me is success at every level in the NFL.

Rick Dennison bio from Texans website.

http://www.houstonte...36-c892f704d5ba

I could see this, I like what the Texans do on offense with a balanced attack, wonder if he would go 3-4?, since the Texans do and have improved on D since they switched last year

#21 Jason1978

Jason1978

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 16,404 posts
  • Fan Since:1987

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:26 PM

He's my top choice. Winston Moss is second choice. I think Lurie will hire a defensive minded HC.

How would fans and the NFL react to a HC with cornrows.

I would say that Gruden is probably the frontrunner for the job.

What is the difference between Jon Gruden and Barry Switzer...nothing. Both won Super Bowls with teams built by much better coaches.

#22 Pegger

Pegger

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 11,397 posts
  • Fan Since:1988

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:35 PM

I want Chip Kelly. Highly organized and just looks at football so differently. The game is changing and the way I see it is we be ahead of the pack in that change or we can slowly follow.

#23 Jason1978

Jason1978

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 16,404 posts
  • Fan Since:1987

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:38 PM

I want Chip Kelly. Highly organized and just looks at football so differently. The game is changing and the way I see it is we be ahead of the pack in that change or we can slowly follow.

College and the NFL are different. Chip Kelly's style will fail like Steve Spurrier's did in the NFL. Some coaches are born to be college coaches...Kelly is one of them.

#24 LacesOut

LacesOut

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 24,744 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:21 PM

College and the NFL are different. Chip Kelly's style will fail like Steve Spurrier's did in the NFL. Some coaches are born to be college coaches...Kelly is one of them.

Agree with this. I just can't see Kelly's style working in the NFL. But you just never know.

I'd rather go with a Defensive coach, so Horton is cool with me.

#25 gibsonplyer

gibsonplyer

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 10,230 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:11 AM

I like SF's coaches both defensive and offensive coordinators have done some really good things out there the last couple years.

McCoy is also another interesting name.

Still not a fan of retreads.

Kelly is a bit of a dark horse for me because 1) the thing about his practices 2) pro coaches including Bellicheck(sp?) have gone to him. He obviously knows football and has ideas that these guys want to better understand. Now whether HE can adapt his ideas to the pro-game that's the question.

#26 RedskinsFan01

RedskinsFan01

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 10,920 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:32 AM

Some rumors hit twitter this morning that the Redskins and Kyle Shanahan are close to an extension.

#27 MightyJNC

MightyJNC

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 12,526 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:44 AM

Some rumors hit twitter this morning that the Redskins and Kyle Shanahan are close to an extension.

Which is fine for the skins but it's not like he was going to get any serious HC consideration anyway.

#28 DawkinsOwnage03

DawkinsOwnage03

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 23,856 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:07 PM

Give me Dungy or Killdrive.

#29 gibsonplyer

gibsonplyer

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 10,230 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:41 PM

If we go offensive McCoy is my favorite right now.

#30 RedskinsFan01

RedskinsFan01

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 10,920 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:28 PM

Which is fine for the skins but it's not like he was going to get any serious HC consideration anyway.

Yeah and i doubt he would take it since the whole reason he came here was to work with his dad.