Jump to content


- - - - -

Falcons will be absolutely smothered in the playoffs


This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
60 replies to this topic

#1 GoNL

GoNL

    Practice Squad

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • Team:Eagles

Posted 25 November 2012 - 03:22 PM

that is all.

#2 Boss Hawg

Boss Hawg

    EMB Legend

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,722 posts
  • Team:Eagles

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:03 PM

They are severely one dimensional on offense. And their defense isn't good enough to get them very far.

#3 TheSilence

TheSilence

    Superstar

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts
  • Team:Falcons

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:13 PM

Defense just held the 4th ranked scoring offense to 23 points with an injured Asante Samuel and Dunta Robinson and keep Doug Martin in check in Tampa Bay. Tampa Bay is much like the Saints as far as rivalry games go, they almost always have close games with each other.

But they have to get better and Bryant has to stop missing kicks and our running game has to improve. It did okay today considering they were playing the number 1 run defense.

#4 GoNL

GoNL

    Practice Squad

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • Team:Eagles

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:57 PM

View PostTheSilence, on 25 November 2012 - 04:13 PM, said:

Defense just held the 4th ranked scoring offense to 23 points with an injured Asante Samuel and Dunta Robinson and keep Doug Martin in check in Tampa Bay. Tampa Bay is much like the Saints as far as rivalry games go, they almost always have close games with each other.

But they have to get better and Bryant has to stop missing kicks and our running game has to improve. It did okay today considering they were playing the number 1 run defense.
Please, the Bucs scare nobody and have one of the worst defenses in the NFL. The Falcons are good, but if they face NYG or SF in the playoffs they lose by 20+ points. GB would probably also blow them out. Chicago would be closer but I'd give the edge to the Bears.

#5 cowboy30

cowboy30

    Superstar

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,288 posts
  • Location:El Paso, TX
  • Team:Cowboys
  • Fan Since:the embryo

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:13 PM

Yep, they're getting worse offensively. I think they need to play Rodgers a little more. Turner sucks behind that line. Rodgers can break a few tackles and get to the edges quicker. They're still probably 3rd best in the NFC, but not that far ahead of the other teams in the playoffs.

#6 LacesOut

LacesOut

    EMB Legend

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,289 posts
  • Team:Eagles

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:16 PM

SF > GB > NYG > Chicago (if Cutler is cool) > Falcons.

#7 wrestlevessel

wrestlevessel

    Starter

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts
  • Location:NY/NJ
  • Team:Eagles

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:21 PM

No one is better than the invicible Giants until they are eliminated.

#8 LacesOut

LacesOut

    EMB Legend

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,289 posts
  • Team:Eagles

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:57 PM

View PostLacesOut, on 25 November 2012 - 08:16 PM, said:

SF > GB > NYG > Chicago (if Cutler is cool) > Falcons.

Re-do:

SF > NYG > Chicago > GB > Atlanta >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> e-girls.

#9 TheSilence

TheSilence

    Superstar

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts
  • Team:Falcons

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:50 PM

View PostGoNL, on 25 November 2012 - 07:57 PM, said:

Please, the Bucs scare nobody and have one of the worst defenses in the NFL. The Falcons are good, but if they face NYG or SF in the playoffs they lose by 20+ points. GB would probably also blow them out. Chicago would be closer but I'd give the edge to the Bears.
Number 1 run defense. Not a great defense but average. Doug Martin has been running wild on teams and was held to an average of 2.2 yards per carry. Weatherspoon is back after missing 3 games and it showed in the run defense. Don't get me wrong, there are concerns. Mostly the running game and the stubbornness that the coaching staff seem to have to keep running Turner for 1 yard or less on first downs and goal line situations. Our outside running game was good today but our interior line isn't doing anything up the gut. I'm worried about defensive injuries now though with Asante playing through a shoulder injury today and having to come in and out of the game. He looked like he re-injured it on the hail mary he batted down to end the game and has a short week to heal before the Saints come in.

Concerns to be certain but I don't get why the Texans can go to over time with the Jags, the 9ers can tie with the Rams but the Falcons win in regulation in a close game on the road against a division rival with a solid team and they get blasted and doubted.

View PostLacesOut, on 25 November 2012 - 10:57 PM, said:

Re-do:

SF > NYG > Chicago > GB > Atlanta >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> e-girls.
So you had to re-do your list within hours. I truly value your opinion. LMAO.

#10 Dawkins 20

Dawkins 20

    EMB Legend

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,996 posts
  • Location:Toronto, ON
  • Team:Eagles

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:23 AM

The Falcons need to start running some of their offense through Jaquizz Rodgers instead of putting it all on Matt Ryan's shoulders. Michael Turner looks like he has aged about 10 years overnight. He's running with lead shoes. I think if they keep the status quo they are going to have another early playoff exit. There's still plenty of time for them to figure it out though.

#11 dawkins4prez

dawkins4prez

    EMB Legend

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,181 posts
  • Team:Eagles

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:02 AM

I'd say the Falcons are as good as anyone in the NFC except SF, and even SF isn't another category.  If they can keep HF advantage they will be tough to knock out.

#12 rich36

rich36

    EMB Legend

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,615 posts
  • Location:westchester NY
  • Team:Giants

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:19 AM

View PostNnamdi Pamdi, on 26 November 2012 - 09:02 AM, said:

I'd say the Falcons are as good as anyone in the NFC except SF, and even SF isn't another category.  If they can keep HF advantage they will be tough to knock out.

I said it in 2010 and I'll say it in 2012, playing in the Ga Dome isn't like playing in the Superdome when the Saints are good. Someone is going to beat them, even if they're the likely #1 seed; which has been the kiss of death in the NFC for quite some time now...

#13 dawkins4prez

dawkins4prez

    EMB Legend

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,181 posts
  • Team:Eagles

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:46 AM

View Postrich36, on 26 November 2012 - 09:19 AM, said:

I said it in 2010 and I'll say it in 2012, playing in the Ga Dome isn't like playing in the Superdome when the Saints are good. Someone is going to beat them, even if they're the likely #1 seed; which has been the kiss of death in the NFC for quite some time now...

For sure.  But still, all things even and at home is a pretty good place to be.  I think the Falcons will be in the NFCCG.  I still have the Niners-Texans in the SB just like I did preseason.

#14 wrestlevessel

wrestlevessel

    Starter

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts
  • Location:NY/NJ
  • Team:Eagles

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:07 AM

I'm going to have a pessimistic feeling until someone knocks the Giants out. And if the Giants make it to the NFC title game I will surrender like I did last year and realize they clinched the Super Bowl.

#15 rich36

rich36

    EMB Legend

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,615 posts
  • Location:westchester NY
  • Team:Giants

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:22 AM

View Postwrestlevessel, on 26 November 2012 - 10:07 AM, said:

I'm going to have a pessimistic feeling until someone knocks the Giants out. And if the Giants make it to the NFC title game I will surrender like I did last year and realize they clinched the Super Bowl.

From your monitor to God's ears...

#16 bumpy93

bumpy93

    EMB Legend

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,817 posts
  • Location:Baltimore,md
  • Team:Eagles
  • Fan Since:1993

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:32 PM

they are 10-1 for a reason... They might not make the SuperBowl if the 49ers continue to play like they are will probally win the NFC or even the Packers if they play like they have been (other then last night). Atlanta isnt no push over. It actually shows alot of grit that they are winning all of thier close games espically on the road vs good teams like Tampa Bay yesterday

#17 Froggy

Froggy

    Hall-of-Famer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,949 posts
  • Team:Patriots

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:14 PM

I take a much deeper approach when judging teams than just looking at who they've beaten, or who plays for them and who doesn't. I watch the Falcons and I'm simply not taken aback by anything they do as a team. I'm impressed by their talent level in some areas, for example I think they have the best 1-2 punch at WR in the league. They have the greatest TE the game has ever seen. And they have a very very good QB marshaling them. But I hate that they can't run the ball anymore, I hate that their defense is very hit and miss, and I'm simply not sold on Matt Ryan the bigger the moment gets. I think that's a very valid outlook when it comes to the Falcons.

#18 TheSilence

TheSilence

    Superstar

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts
  • Team:Falcons

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:34 PM

View PostFroggy, on 26 November 2012 - 01:14 PM, said:

I take a much deeper approach when judging teams than just looking at who they've beaten, or who plays for them and who doesn't. I watch the Falcons and I'm simply not taken aback by anything they do as a team. I'm impressed by their talent level in some areas, for example I think they have the best 1-2 punch at WR in the league. They have the greatest TE the game has ever seen. And they have a very very good QB marshaling them. But I hate that they can't run the ball anymore, I hate that their defense is very hit and miss, and I'm simply not sold on Matt Ryan the bigger the moment gets. I think that's a very valid outlook when it comes to the Falcons.
You make valid points, though I disagree on Matt Ryan not handling bigger moments. We lost in the playoffs because the teams were better that day and maybe all together, not because Matt Ryan can't handle the pressure. If he couldn't handle the pressure he wouldn't have so many 4th quarter comebacks and game winning drives with less than 2 minutes left. He is a clutch QB, the team has just been outcoached in the playoffs. I have the absolute same concerns about our run game, our defense prevents big plays most of the time and are very much a bend but don't break team. They need to get back to getting turnovers consistently like they did early in the season but the last 2 weeks have been good defensive performances. Holding Doug Martin the a 2.2 average is very impressive, especially considering where they were ranked against the run going in.

#19 blakjak

blakjak

    Hall-of-Famer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,918 posts
  • Location:Denver, Pa
  • Team:Giants
  • Fan Since:Day one

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:53 PM

If I had the choice I'd rather play ATL versus SF in the playoffs. And thats after NYG took it to Frisco again.

Until they win a few playoff games I cant take ATL seriously. Its not like theyre a juggernaut. Some of their wins have been REAL close. If they come out flat or struggle early in a playoff game I could see them getting rolled just like last year. If theyre gonna do anything this year in the playoffs they need to get off to a fast start. Any adversity and theyre one and done IMO.

Theyre a good team - not a great one.

#20 dawkins4prez

dawkins4prez

    EMB Legend

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,181 posts
  • Team:Eagles

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:58 PM

View Postblakjak, on 26 November 2012 - 07:53 PM, said:

If I had the choice I'd rather play ATL versus SF in the playoffs. And thats after NYG took it to Frisco again.

Until they win a few playoff games I cant take ATL seriously. Its not like theyre a juggernaut. Some of their wins have been REAL close. If they come out flat or struggle early in a playoff game I could see them getting rolled just like last year. If theyre gonna do anything this year in the playoffs they need to get off to a fast start. Any adversity and theyre one and done IMO.

Theyre a good team - not a great one.

Yeah yeah yeah...I just think that at the end of the day the falcons have exactly as many holes as the rest of the field, but they will be at home in the 1st round and are really sick and tired of hearing about their playoff failures.  I wouldn't want to be the 1st team the Falcons face in the playoffs that group is overdue.

#21 TheSilence

TheSilence

    Superstar

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts
  • Team:Falcons

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:16 PM

View PostNnamdi Pamdi, on 26 November 2012 - 07:58 PM, said:

Yeah yeah yeah...I just think that at the end of the day the falcons have exactly as many holes as the rest of the field, but they will be at home in the 1st round and are really sick and tired of hearing about their playoff failures.  I wouldn't want to be the 1st team the Falcons face in the playoffs that group is overdue.
Every team in the NFL this year has short comings. Out of all the serious NFC contenders, Atlanta is the only one that hasn't been blown out. Giants were blown out by Cincy, 9ers by the Giants, Green Bay by the Giants, Bears by the 9ers, Giants are such a good team.... sometimes. They almost dropped one early to Tampa Bay. They did lose to the Eagles who are not good, as we know. Eagles play the Giants well, something that Tampa and New Orleans always does to Atlanta yet when Atlanta struggles, it's because they are not good enough. The Falcons are the only team that you know what you are going to get. It might not be pretty, it might not be by a lot of points, but they never don't show up and even when they play below their abilities they find ways to win.

#22 L.E.

L.E.

    EMB Legend

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,307 posts
  • Team:Eagles

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:33 AM

Same story for Atlanta. They'll fall apart as they do every year.

#23 Happyfoosball

Happyfoosball

    EMB Legend

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,993 posts
  • Team:Giants

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:00 AM

24-2

The Falcons are a mirage.  They will not win the super bowl.  I wouldn't be shocked if they go one and done.  In fact they are already coming apart at the hinges.  It's only a matter of time before they start piling up loses.

#24 TenOfSwords

TenOfSwords

    EMB Legend

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,770 posts
  • Team:Eagles
  • Fan Since:1971

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:18 AM

View PostTheSilence, on 26 November 2012 - 10:16 PM, said:

Every team in the NFL this year has short comings. Out of all the serious NFC contenders, Atlanta is the only one that hasn't been blown out. Giants were blown out by Cincy, 9ers by the Giants, Green Bay by the Giants, Bears by the 9ers, Giants are such a good team.... sometimes. They almost dropped one early to Tampa Bay. They did lose to the Eagles who are not good, as we know. Eagles play the Giants well, something that Tampa and New Orleans always does to Atlanta yet when Atlanta struggles, it's because they are not good enough. The Falcons are the only team that you know what you are going to get. It might not be pretty, it might not be by a lot of points, but they never don't show up and even when they play below their abilities they find ways to win.


Three decades ago Dan Gordon defined a blowout as losing by 21 points or more - and since the Giants only lost to the Bengals by 18, they were not blown out.

#25 Dawkins 20

Dawkins 20

    EMB Legend

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,996 posts
  • Location:Toronto, ON
  • Team:Eagles

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:07 AM

View PostHaroldTheSecond, on 28 November 2012 - 07:18 AM, said:

Three decades ago Dan Gordon defined a blowout as losing by 21 points or more - and since the Giants only lost to the Bengals by 18, they were not blown out.
Nobody cares what one guy's definition of a blowout is. That game was never in doubt.

#26 TheSilence

TheSilence

    Superstar

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts
  • Team:Falcons

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:20 PM

View PostHaroldTheSecond, on 28 November 2012 - 07:18 AM, said:

Three decades ago Dan Gordon defined a blowout as losing by 21 points or more - and since the Giants only lost to the Bengals by 18, they were not blown out.
There was something I read yesterday that defined it as scoring over 30 points and winning by 14. I don't remember what the Bengals scored.... either way, you'd have to be an idiot to try and justify that game.

#27 GoNL

GoNL

    Practice Squad

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • Team:Eagles

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:03 PM

View PostTheSilence, on 26 November 2012 - 10:16 PM, said:

Every team in the NFL this year has short comings. Out of all the serious NFC contenders, Atlanta is the only one that hasn't been blown out. Giants were blown out by Cincy, 9ers by the Giants, Green Bay by the Giants, Bears by the 9ers, Giants are such a good team.... sometimes. They almost dropped one early to Tampa Bay. They did lose to the Eagles who are not good, as we know. Eagles play the Giants well, something that Tampa and New Orleans always does to Atlanta yet when Atlanta struggles, it's because they are not good enough. The Falcons are the only team that you know what you are going to get. It might not be pretty, it might not be by a lot of points, but they never don't show up and even when they play below their abilities they find ways to win.
Those teams have been blown out but typically are very solid. The Falcons on the other hand struggle mightily to beat the worst teams in the NFL, sunday after sunday, and havent played one good team other than Denver, and that was before Peyton was in his groove. ATL is a good team, but is clearly out matched by the big dogs in the NFC.

#28 KzEaglefan86

KzEaglefan86

    Hall-of-Famer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,512 posts
  • Location:Richmond, VA
  • Team:Eagles

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:35 PM

Eh, I don't think any team in the NFC is strong enough to make a statement like that.  I mean, the Giants, Packers, Bears all have some pretty serious flaws.  The Niners look like the most complete team, but they look far from unbeatable.  Say what you want about the Falcons, but they know how to keep games close and are clutch at the end.  I'm not predicting them to go to the Superbowl or anything like that given their track record in the playoffs, but I don't think they'll be an easy out for any team, especially if they wind up with home field throughout.

#29 TheSilence

TheSilence

    Superstar

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts
  • Team:Falcons

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:52 PM

View PostGoNL, on 28 November 2012 - 02:03 PM, said:

Those teams have been blown out but typically are very solid. The Falcons on the other hand struggle mightily to beat the worst teams in the NFL, sunday after sunday, and havent played one good team other than Denver, and that was before Peyton was in his groove. ATL is a good team, but is clearly out matched by the big dogs in the NFC.
Tampa Bay is a GOOD team. I hate to say because I hate them but they are. Freeman is playing great this season. Who says Peyton wasn't in his groove? He had a good game the following week and the week before he played us. Just because he was picked 3 times doesn't mean he wasn't playing well or at his top ability. Atlanta has a tendency of playing down a little bit, and not ever trying to blow games open which leads to a lot of closer games. Also, when you have the best record in the NFL, you get everyones best shots.

#30 Dweedlebug

Dweedlebug

    Backup

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • Location:Mechanicsburg, PA
  • Team:Eagles
  • Fan Since:The 70's

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:50 AM

I think Denver and TB are the only teams they have beaten that have winning records.