- - - - -

Shouldn't they go after a new coach NOW?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 Operator 7

Operator 7

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,346 posts
  • Team:Eagles
  • Fan Since:1970

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:36 PM

Just a thought, but would it not be better to get started with a new coach NOW, and let him get familiar with the players/roster, and vice versa, instead of waiting for the beginning of next season?

Why do teams normally wait until the beginning of a new season, to institute a new coach?

#2 evilwaldo

evilwaldo

EMB Fossil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 58,123 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:01 PM

:roll:

I am sure that Houston would let their OC leave their team mid-season to join another team.

#3 442eagle

442eagle

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts
  • Fan Since:Day one

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:02 PM

I only hope they can find a coach like Jim Harbaugh of the Niner's. The Eagles need a rah, rah emotional type coach that can not only coach them well but also instill enthusium in the players. If Reid ever smiled his face would fall off.

#4 PoconoDon

PoconoDon

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,868 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:07 PM

Op,

The market opens up in the off-season for coaches. The GM position is first though. If Lurie doesn't fix that, it won't matter who the coach is....he'll just get stuck with 2nd and 3rd shelf guys to try to win with.

#5 wydok

wydok

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,553 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:19 PM

College coaches are still coaching in college.  NFL assistants are still with their current team.

If you fire Reid now, Marty would be interim coach.

Why bother?

#6 bfisher01

bfisher01

Training Camp Body

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Fan Since:birth

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:43 PM

View Postwydok, on 26 November 2012 - 12:19 PM, said:

College coaches are still coaching in college.  NFL assistants are still with their current team.

Why bother?
so we can make sure we get the 1st pick in the draft.reid will win a couple games and ruin that.marty wouldn't win any and make sure we get the first pick!!!!

#7 evilwaldo

evilwaldo

EMB Fossil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 58,123 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:35 PM

View Postbfisher01, on 26 November 2012 - 01:43 PM, said:

so we can make sure we get the 1st pick in the draft.reid will win a couple games and ruin that.marty wouldn't win any and make sure we get the first pick!!!!

Why do you want the first pick when the top QB's are weak?  Do you want a bust at QB?

#8 james1345

james1345

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,460 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:57 PM

The Eagles need to hire a GM before they even think of hiring a new HC.

#9 worldd15

worldd15

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts
  • Fan Since:1991

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:12 AM

How long would it take for Dungy, Cowher, or Gruden to get ready to take over the last 2 games?

#10 philaphan018

philaphan018

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:40 AM

Not like its never happened before

#11 john williamson

john williamson

EMB Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,322 posts
  • Fan Since:last night

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:35 AM

View Postwydok, on 26 November 2012 - 12:19 PM, said:

Why bother?

why bother going to games or watching them on TV?

#12 focker1636

focker1636

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,460 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:05 PM

No.  What successful coach has ever been willing to take over a losing team mid-season?  What's to be gained by having an interim coach in place?  Let Reid ride this out to a premium draft position.

#13 wydok

wydok

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,553 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:48 PM

View Postdave moss, on 27 November 2012 - 09:35 AM, said:

why bother going to games or watching them on TV?

I've been saying that, too.  And I'd say that even with an interim.

#14 green&mean

green&mean

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 15,011 posts
  • Fan Since:conception

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:38 PM

View Postworldd15, on 27 November 2012 - 02:12 AM, said:

How long would it take for Dungy, Cowher, or Gruden to get ready to take over the last 2 games?

Gee I don't know...till next season....each and every guy is under a contract to broadcast now for the balance of the season

At first I oppossed firing Reid now, primarily based on who would take over...Marty, Bowles, Bobby April??? Now i think he's gotta go right after the Dallas Game. Had we played on Sunday instead of MNF I would have done it then. My original thought was by firing Andy, you could make things worse. Lurie has to face it, things cannot get worse...I mean it's not like we'll become the Chiefs....poor Brady Quinn.

Firing AR now sends two messages. First to the team, ...no one is safe, play now or risk being Demarcus Russell...on the street. Second, by doing it now candidates or at least their agents will begin to come to you. Who knows Sean Payton may have enjoyed his brtief stint here in the 1990s and is looking to return. Star College guys have down time, before the Bowls...although I don't see JL going that route. NFL Assts will raise their hands or some may even have their franchise put them forward, for next year. Sorry we didn't do this last year. I think Jeff Fisher would have been a good fit here. He was familar with Philly and Philly was familar with him and smash mouth football.

If Foles is our guy....and I can't see Vick coming back, at least not at his current $$$....I think former Temple Coach Bruce Arians is the right guy. He's doing a great job as interim head coach at Indy, He developed Big Ben and now Luck, as well as compentent back ups. he's familar with Philly. He can adapt to talent on hand. Colts have a shot at Playoffs, but probably will not advance....so he can be on board by mid January. Even at Temple, he got the most out of mediocre talent. When given good talent, he can make them great.

#15 CountBlah

CountBlah

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 34,985 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:25 PM

It honestly makes no difference if he is let go now, or Monday Dec 31st, with respect to hiring a new coach.  Everyone knows Andy is gone, and coaches are still coaching up to that point.  Lurie and Howie(UGH!!!) can talk to the broadcasters agents at any time.

The only bad thing we can do is go back to Vick and accidentally win some games down the stretch.

#16 SBorBust

SBorBust

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,408 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:36 PM

One thing's for sure.  The GM must be hired fairly quickly.  There will be an unusually high number of coaching vacancies following this season.