[News] Early Breakdowns Haunt Defense

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 DaveSpadaro

DaveSpadaro

EMB Legend

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,805 posts
  • Team:Eagles

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:23 AM

Mental breakdowns early and penalties late haunted the defense as the Panthers left Lincoln Financial Field with a 30-22 win on Monday night. The Panthers raced out to a 14-3 lead at the end of the...

View the full article

#2 CouldCareLess

CouldCareLess

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
  • Fan Since:1996

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:19 AM

Everyone barked for Juan's head and blamed him for the losses yet we havnt won a game since firing him. This is why you don't fire coached in the middle of the season.

#3 Whoissantaclaus

Whoissantaclaus

Training Camp Body

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Fan Since:1996

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:01 AM

True CouldCarLess, Juan was really the only reason we won the three games that we have. Marty should have been out the door, not Juan. It's annoying to watch the Eagles piss away the season.

#4 1wrangler

1wrangler

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts
  • Fan Since:1965

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:31 AM

It is obvious to all of us fans that a lot of players must go. Every time I hear someone say that we are not playing up to our potential or talent level it cracks me up. Yes we are. Rookie mistakes happen and fans can live with them but not the same mistakes from veterans. I like watching the rookies play even with the growing pains. That is where I will get my enjoyment through the rest of the season, but my list of players that we have to sever ties with at the end of the season is growing larger and larger. Some we may be stuck with for another year or so because we won't be able to jettison them all at one time.

#5 mrobaer

mrobaer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Fan Since:1984

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:44 AM

I'm not sure what's going on with our defensive schemes.  I wonder if they have ever looked at the schemes/methods used at Arizona and Oakland where these two cornerbacks were doing so well.  I know I would have, and likely made some adjustments based on that.

I remember watching Carolina with the ball early and seeing DRC playing about 10 yards off the line of scrimmage, thinking to myself, "Here comes a slant/crossing pattern for 10 or 15 yards."  Wouldn't you know it, that's exactly what Cam Newton apparently thought as well.  

I really miss bump-n-run and press coverage.  I still think our front seven is the best we've had in a while for run stopping, and the secondary ought to be playing in-your-face.

I heard the leftover fans trying to rally up our defense on third downs, but I don't remember seeing anyone on defense trying to fire up the squad.  It looked like everyone was on their own, trying to make it through another day at work.  It's been a while since I've seen the Eagles play defense as a team.

I'll be a fan as long as there remains the Philadelphia Eagles.  I believe we need a new offensive coordinator and a defensive coordinator.

I loved seeing Andy go to the run so much last night.  I was fired up, the kids were getting nervous at my shouting, fist pumps, and awkward dances.  But I soon realized I was faced with something I don't remember ever seeing;  Andy Ried GIVING UP ON THE PASSING GAME!

I can almost taste it, with McCoy and Brown, having two 1,000 yard rushers next year.  A deadly play-action passing game, an offense that actually can wear down a defense AND the clock.  I can almost imagine it, excellent clock/game management.  It smells like the best way to win games is by keeping OUR defense off of the field for a long time.  Yes, it smells like a "Trent Dilfer managing the Ravens to the Super Bowl" season is on our horizon.

#6 Brad71

Brad71

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:43 AM

You are absolutely correct Whoissantclaus. I've been saying it since last year. Marty Morhningweg is the one that needed to be fired, but Andy Reid has failed to pull the trigger. The defense has gotten worse under Bowles. Juan was used as a scapegoat but the Eagles have failed to right the ship and now the flaws have been exposed. The only thing for me WHEN Reid is fired is who is going to replace him. There are not many options out there. Howard Mudd needs to go back into retirement and Washburn's wide nine is a WASH!!Bowles is an utter embarresment!  I hope the Eagles hire a coach that would light a fire under these players so that this team could play to its true potential.

#7 Rivickulous

Rivickulous

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts
  • Fan Since:Inception

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:17 AM

Letting go on Juan was the mistake. His defense was the only improvement over last year, they were keeping us in the games that the offense was turning over. Firing Juan took the heart out of this defense... they just looked different after he was gone.

#8 FlyingHigh956

FlyingHigh956

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:39 AM

i agree with you Rickulous.. after castillo was let go this defense has not looked the same. hopefully there is a good DC in the market this year we need one bad

#9 EAGLESNY1

EAGLESNY1

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • Fan Since:1977

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:03 PM

Ron Rivera will be available,he know Jim Johnson's scheme better then anyone