Jump to content


- - - - -

Is it me, or was the defense much better under Castillo?


This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
25 replies to this topic

#1 HarborTheClay

HarborTheClay

    Backup

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Team:Eagles

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:10 AM

I was against the firing of Castillo from the start and it's really been a mess on defense since he left. Everyone wants to point to the back to back games the defense gave up the leads, but watch those games again...the offense kept putting the defense on the field. How many times are you supposed to stop teams in the fourth quarter? Maybe if we were running some power runs in those games to milk the clock instead of trying to run outside 90% of the time. Sure seemed like last night that we were able to just fine, despite what Dave was saying weeks and weeks ago.

Firing Castillo was a mistake. You can aruge that hiring him was too...but dang, it seems like the defense was playing much much better under him then Todd.

So Dave, do you think firing Castillo mid year was a mistake? Or do you still need more time to evaluate Todd? I gave Todd some reasonable doubt because he got thrust in against the Falcons-Saints...but come on, the Skins and freakin Panthers light us up? Seriously?

#2 SamEaglesFan

SamEaglesFan

    Hall-of-Famer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,144 posts
  • Team:Eagles

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:13 AM

Current Defense = Bowels Movement...

#3 mjkvol

mjkvol

    Hall-of-Famer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,482 posts
  • Team:Eagles
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:18 AM

View PostHarborTheClay, on 27 November 2012 - 09:10 AM, said:

do you think firing Castillo mid year was a mistake? Or do you still need more time to evaluate Todd? I gave Todd some reasonable doubt because he got thrust in against the Falcons-Saints...but come on, the Skins and freakin Panthers light us up? Seriously?


Dude, does it even matter at this point?      Need time to evaluate Bowles for what, exactly?      How he does the rest of the way with a group that quit weeks ago?

And what is he being evaluated for?        Anything other than a complete housecleaning would be a dreadful mistake.

#4 egforever

egforever

    Backup

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts
  • Location:Midwest
  • Team:Eagles
  • Fan Since:1980

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:20 AM

Yea Castillo should never have been hired and yea the defense is actually worse in all aspects. Part of it is Bowles inexperience and lack their of time to install his own system and the players aren't responding well to the scheme which requires more THINKING and reading of a play.  They were used to the dumbed down version and now their incapable of grasping a scheme to where they have to read keys on the offense and their just not able to do it...Safety play is Pathetic.

#5 CT Eagle

CT Eagle

    Superstar

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,741 posts
  • Team:Eagles

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:30 AM

"There hasn’t been a defensive coordinator in the history of the NFL, who has started out as bad as Todd Bowles."

In the five games which Bowles has been the Eagles defensive coordinator, the opposing team has scored at least 28 points.  The opposing team’s quarterback rating has been at least 120.  Panthers quarterback Cam Newton completed 18 of 28 for 306 yards for two touchdowns and no interceptions.  His quarterback rating was 125.

In Bowles first game as a defensive coordinator Matt Ryan posted a 137.4 quarterback rating.  Drew Brees then followed that up with a quarterback rating of 128.2.  In the next week, Tony Romo’s quarterback rating was 122.1.  Then a little over a week ago, Robert Griffin III had a perfect 158.3 quarterback rating.

Quarterbacks are completing over 75% of their throws against the Bowles-led defense in those five games.  He’s a secondary coach, yet the Eagles secondary has given up 13 touchdown passes and not been able to pick off a single pass in the five games under Bowles leadership."

GCobb

#6 CountBlah

CountBlah

    EMB Legend

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,984 posts
  • Location:Sterling, VA
  • Team:Eagles

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:41 AM

It was better under Juan.   This whole organization is snake bit.

#7 mjkvol

mjkvol

    Hall-of-Famer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,482 posts
  • Team:Eagles
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:05 AM

View PostCountBlah, on 27 November 2012 - 09:41 AM, said:

It was better under Juan.   This whole organization is snake bit.

No it's not - that's a cop out used by true believers and losers.  

You're one of the guys that gets it, Blah.       You know as well as anyone that it has been mismanaged hideously from the top, enabling a culture of semi-mediocrity to permeate the entire organization.     What we're currently seeing is the natural progression of that approach.

#8 CountBlah

CountBlah

    EMB Legend

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,984 posts
  • Location:Sterling, VA
  • Team:Eagles

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:07 AM

By snake bit, I mean this ...

When given a choice, if one path takes us closer to the superbowl, and another takes us further away, we invariably take the wrong path.    That manifests itself in many different areas,  be it FO, coaches, players, contracts, etc...

#9 Runtherock

Runtherock

    EMB Legend

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,765 posts
  • Team:Eagles

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:56 AM

It was better but you weren't winning anything with Juan's D.

#10 mjkvol

mjkvol

    Hall-of-Famer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,482 posts
  • Team:Eagles
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:04 PM

View PostCountBlah, on 27 November 2012 - 11:07 AM, said:

By snake bit, I mean this ...

When given a choice, if one path takes us closer to the superbowl, and another takes us further away, we invariably take the wrong path. That manifests itself in many different areas,  be it FO, coaches, players, contracts, etc...

I hear you, but 'snake bit' to me signifies bad luck, and the paths this regime chose to take were much more simply a matter of awful judgment.

Besides, you make your own luck much of the time.     The Giants are the classic example - two 9-7 teams fortunate just to make the playoffs, and they turn them into two championships.    We got the same kind of break in 2008, and spit the bit as a road favorite in the NFCCG.         Bad luck?     I think not.

#11 Tersal

Tersal

    Backup

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • Team:Eagles

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:21 PM

View PostCT Eagle, on 27 November 2012 - 09:30 AM, said:

"There hasn’t been a defensive coordinator in the history of the NFL, who has started out as bad as Todd Bowles."

In the five games which Bowles has been the Eagles defensive coordinator, the opposing team has scored at least 28 points.  The opposing team’s quarterback rating has been at least 120.  Panthers quarterback Cam Newton completed 18 of 28 for 306 yards for two touchdowns and no interceptions.  His quarterback rating was 125.

In Bowles first game as a defensive coordinator Matt Ryan posted a 137.4 quarterback rating.  Drew Brees then followed that up with a quarterback rating of 128.2.  In the next week, Tony Romo’s quarterback rating was 122.1.  Then a little over a week ago, Robert Griffin III had a perfect 158.3 quarterback rating.

Quarterbacks are completing over 75% of their throws against the Bowles-led defense in those five games.  He’s a secondary coach, yet the Eagles secondary has given up 13 touchdown passes and not been able to pick off a single pass in the five games under Bowles leadership."

GCobb

Ironically the Eagles defended the pass better when Todd was the secondary coach.  The first six games only Kolb remember him got off when the Birds put up a no show. Below are the QB ratings prior to Todd replacing Juan:

Weeden 5.1
Flacco 66.3
Kolb 127.4
Manning 86.3
Roethlisberger 83.2
Stafford 66.8

Also GCobb does miss one point When Dallas scored 38 points two were defensive and one was special teams.            

Despite this Bowles is not getting the job done. Also the Birds should have done better than Juan Castillo when Lurie initially brought in all those top ranked free agents prior to the 2011 season. The last time Juan coached defense before his stay here was in high school. High school give me a break please.

#12 Iggles

Iggles

    Starter

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,617 posts
  • Team:Eagles
  • Fan Since:1978

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:45 PM

The worst thing Andy Reid did was hire Jim Washburn.  No self-respecting DC candidate wanted to work with that cantankerous personality, so Reid had to settle in-house.   If Reid had only promoted D Jauron (allowing him to choose his people) after McDermott, the Eagles would be better off today.

#13 CT Eagle

CT Eagle

    Superstar

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,741 posts
  • Team:Eagles

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:48 PM

View PostIggles, on 27 November 2012 - 04:45 PM, said:

  No self-respecting DC candidate wanted to work with that cantankerous personality, so Reid had to settle in-house.  
I think Reid hired Washburn because he planned to promote Juan to DC.

#14 Rodney_Zero

Rodney_Zero

    EMB Legend

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 45,269 posts
  • Location:NC =Hell
  • Team:Eagles
  • Fan Since:Hairston

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:14 PM

View PostIggles, on 27 November 2012 - 04:45 PM, said:

The worst thing Andy Reid did was hire Jim Washburn.  No self-respecting DC candidate wanted to work with that cantankerous personality, so Reid had to settle in-house.   If Reid had only promoted D Jauron (allowing him to choose his people) after McDermott, the Eagles would be better off today.
Greg Williams did- D-cord
Jerry Grey did- D-cord
Jim Swartz did- D-Cord
Chuck Cecil did- D-cord

#15 CT Eagle

CT Eagle

    Superstar

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,741 posts
  • Team:Eagles

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:31 PM

View PostRodney_Zero, on 27 November 2012 - 05:14 PM, said:

Greg Williams did- D-cord
Jerry Grey did- D-cord
Jim Swartz did- D-Cord
Chuck Cecil did- D-cord
Not that it changes anything but Greg Williams and Jim Schwartz seem like total d-bags.  I happen to think that Washburn seems like a great guy and it is probably a lot of fun to work with and play for.   That being said, his system sure isn't working.  How does a team go from one of the best DLs in sack totals... add Cox and a healthy Graham,  and then go to 28th in the league ?

#16 Rodney_Zero

Rodney_Zero

    EMB Legend

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 45,269 posts
  • Location:NC =Hell
  • Team:Eagles
  • Fan Since:Hairston

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:39 PM

View PostCT Eagle, on 27 November 2012 - 05:31 PM, said:

Not that it changes anything but Greg Williams and Jim Schwartz seem like total d-bags.  I happen to think that Washburn seems like a great guy and it is probably a lot of fun to work with and play for.   That being said, his system sure isn't working.  How does a team go from one of the best DLs in sack totals... add Cox and a healthy Graham,  and then go to 28th in the league ?
Max protection, that is what I am hearing, rotating the DL way tooooooooo much as well

#17 KOJO

KOJO

    EMB Legend

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,986 posts
  • Team:Eagles

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:51 PM

View PostRodney_Zero, on 27 November 2012 - 05:39 PM, said:

Max protection, that is what I am hearing, rotating the DL way tooooooooo much as well

And the answer to that is to get real competent players in here who can straight up whip the man in front of them. Guys who actually win physical battles instead of ones who have to rely on gimmicky bullcrap to get their sacks. Reid & this regime have never believed in this, but I sure as heck hope the new one will.

I think that's the one thing that sickens me maybe the most about Reid's time here. His teams are SOFT. Like Hollis Thomas said, everybody knows they play like a bunch of girls. And notice I said his teams, meaning the ones he put together with his own players, not the Rhodes guys he inherited.

I want football players, damnit! You want finesse, go choreograph ballet or something.

#18 CT Eagle

CT Eagle

    Superstar

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,741 posts
  • Team:Eagles

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:03 PM

View PostKOJO, on 27 November 2012 - 05:51 PM, said:

And the answer to that is to get real competent players in here who can straight up whip the man in front of them. Guys who actually win physical battles instead of ones who have to rely on gimmicky bullcrap to get their sacks. Reid & this regime have never believed in this, but I sure as heck hope the new one will.

I think that's the one thing that sickens me maybe the most about Reid's time here. His teams are SOFT. Like Hollis Thomas said, everybody knows they play like a bunch of girls. And notice I said his teams, meaning the ones he put together with his own players, not the Rhodes guys he inherited.

I want football players, damnit! You want finesse, go choreograph ballet or something.
Good post and I couldn't agree more.  The scary thing is that is what Juan was trying to do :roll: !

#19 mjkvol

mjkvol

    Hall-of-Famer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,482 posts
  • Team:Eagles
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:21 PM

View PostKOJO, on 27 November 2012 - 05:51 PM, said:

And the answer to that is to get real competent players in here who can straight up whip the man in front of them. Guys who actually win physical battles instead of ones who have to rely on gimmicky bullcrap to get their sacks. Reid & this regime have never believed in this, but I sure as heck hope the new one will.

I think that's the one thing that sickens me maybe the most about Reid's time here. His teams are SOFT. Like Hollis Thomas said, everybody knows they play like a bunch of girls. And notice I said his teams, meaning the ones he put together with his own players, not the Rhodes guys he inherited.

I want football players, damnit! You want finesse, go choreograph ballet or something.

Preach, brother!

I'd add that the whole idea of rotating defensive linemen like hockey lines just adds to the whole 'gimmicky' aspect to this defense.     Enough with gimmicks and trying to 'outsmart' a league which long ago caught up with everything this coach is about.

#20 Hank_TheBody_Fraley

Hank_TheBody_Fraley

    EMB Legend

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,257 posts
  • Team:Eagles

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:47 PM

View PostCountBlah, on 27 November 2012 - 11:07 AM, said:

By snake bit, I mean this ...

When given a choice, if one path takes us closer to the superbowl, and another takes us further away, we invariably take the wrong path. That manifests itself in many different areas,  be it FO, coaches, players, contracts, etc...

The fanbase is snakebit. The organization is incompetent.

#21 CT Eagle

CT Eagle

    Superstar

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,741 posts
  • Team:Eagles

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:01 PM

View PostHank_TheBody_Fraley, on 27 November 2012 - 06:47 PM, said:

The fanbase is snakebit. The organization is incompetent.
Hehehehe

#22 Iggles

Iggles

    Starter

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,617 posts
  • Team:Eagles
  • Fan Since:1978

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:49 AM

View PostRodney_Zero, on 27 November 2012 - 05:14 PM, said:

Greg Williams did- D-cord
Jerry Grey did- D-cord
Jim Swartz did- D-Cord
Chuck Cecil did- D-cord

So you name four names that would want Jim Washburn.   Reid was hiring the DC backwards.   Since Reid did not select the four you chose, the others (Spags) said no.  How do you know the above four liked Jim Washburn?



Andy Reid has lost his mind.  You don't hire  a coaching staff, with line coaches to fit a philosophy.   Andy Reid has been in CYA mode since 2009.  I wonder if Andy gave the drugs to Garrett himself to plead for sympathy to stay as Eagles coach!!!  YES I'm that jaded!!!   Andy Reid is a very bad father of the mormon faith!  He's destroyed two  sons because football comes first philsophy.   Unlike Joe Gibbs after the death of Sean Taylor, Andy Reid is determined to coach.  Andy Reid is the last guy during the Battle of Berlin who was asked to "turn off the lights"!   Andy Reid is not a true mormon.

#23 james1345

james1345

    Superstar

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,460 posts
  • Location:RI
  • Team:Eagles

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:49 AM

View PostIggles, on 28 November 2012 - 02:49 AM, said:

So you name four names that would want Jim Washburn.   Reid was hiring the DC backwards.   Since Reid did not select the four you chose, the others (Spags) said no.  How do you know the above four liked Jim Washburn?



Andy Reid has lost his mind.  You don't hire  a coaching staff, with line coaches to fit a philosophy.   Andy Reid has been in CYA mode since 2009.  I wonder if Andy gave the drugs to Garrett himself to plead for sympathy to stay as Eagles coach!!!  YES I'm that jaded!!!   Andy Reid is a very bad father of the mormon faith!  He's destroyed two  sons because football comes first philsophy.   Unlike Joe Gibbs after the death of Sean Taylor, Andy Reid is determined to coach.  Andy Reid is the last guy during the Battle of Berlin who was asked to "turn off the lights"!   Andy Reid is not a true mormon.

  

#24 Iggles

Iggles

    Starter

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,617 posts
  • Team:Eagles
  • Fan Since:1978

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:18 AM

View PostCT Eagle, on 27 November 2012 - 05:31 PM, said:

Not that it changes anything but Greg Williams and Jim Schwartz seem like total d-bags.  I happen to think that Washburn seems like a great guy and it is probably a lot of fun to work with and play for.   That being said, his system sure isn't working.  How does a team go from one of the best DLs in sack totals... add Cox and a healthy Graham,  and then go to 28th in the league ?

Here's a little secret, I don't think Jim Washburn respects Andy Reid.  I remember watching "Inside the NFL" on HBO in 2002.  It was the first game of the season.  The Titans came back against the Eagles to win 27-24.  I clearly remember Washburn as the Titans D-line coach calling the Eagles coaching staff idiots, in so many words.  

When you think about it, why is the wide nine worse since Castillo was fired??   Jim Washburn is a cancer!  Washburn has made Andy Reid look like a fool as his buddy Howard Mudd ruins the Eagles OL.  If Lurie doesn't fire Andy Reid, I may have to pay to watch Eagles home games on the NFL streaming network, since FOX/CBS/NBC/ESPN can't show them due to lack of sell-outs. If Reid isn't fired, it's 1985 again.   Jason Babin's behavior is only an extention of Washburn.   I think the only friend Andy has on his staff is Marty.

#25 patpikunas

patpikunas

    Superstar

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,887 posts
  • Team:Eagles

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:34 AM

Better is a relative term and it doesn't really matter at this point

#26 CT Eagle

CT Eagle

    Superstar

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,741 posts
  • Team:Eagles

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:10 AM

View PostIggles, on 30 November 2012 - 02:18 AM, said:

Here's a little secret, I don't think Jim Washburn respects Andy Reid.
Here is another little secret.  I think you might be smoking some really good weed !