- - - - -

Eagles may face tough market in coaching search

mark eckel trenton times

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 herbicide

herbicide

EMB Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,394 posts
  • Team:Eagles
  • Fan Since:1960

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:45 AM

Eckel

Eagles may face tough market in coaching search

Published: Thursday, November 29, 2012, 6:00 AM     Updated: Thursday, November 29, 2012, 6:13 AM

By Mark Eckel/The Times

All things being equal, the Eagles may not get their first choice to replace Andy Reid as head coach, or their second, or third, or even their fourth.

If as many as nine NFL head coaching jobs open, and that’s about the number expected, the Eagles rank fifth in terms of attractiveness according to a longtime personnel man who has been involved with coaching changes in the past.

The front-office man broke the nine potential teams into two groups, those with quarterbacks and those who need to go get a quarterback.

Not impressed with rookie third-round pick Nick Foles, he put the Eagles in the latter category.

“I don’t think he’s a guy who’s going to win a Super Bowl for you, no,” the personnel man said of Foles, who is the Eagles’ perceived quarterback of the future.

Foles’ future will be tied directly to the Eagles’ next head coach. After 14 seasons in charge, Andy Reid is expected to be gone at the end of another disappointing season. The new coach will have to decide if the team can win with the former University of Arizona quarterback, if the Eagles should draft one, or if they should try to acquire one through free agency or trade.

It’s going to be a huge decision for the next coach, probably the most important one he will make during his tenure.

That’s one of the reasons why the Eagles don’t rank as high as some of the other teams that may be looking for head coaches after the season, according to the longtime personnel man.
In order, the personnel man listed Dallas, Carolina and San Diego as the three most attractive jobs that could be open if Jason Garrett, Ron Rivera and Norv Turner are not brought back respectively next season.

“Those three have quarterbacks in place, and that’s the biggest part of it,” he said.
He said he ranked the Cowboys and quarterback Tony Romo ahead of both the Panthers and Chargers because of the overall talent on the roster and the tradition that goes with being in Dallas.

“You have to take all of that into consideration,” he said. “I think all three are decent jobs.”

Asked if he thought working with a hands-on owner in Jerry Jones would be a detriment to the Cowboys landing the coach they want, the personnel man didn’t think so.

“You have to know the situation,” he said. “I think it could work out.”

Carolina ranked second followed by San Diego, according to executive.

“They (the Panthers) have the good, young quarterback (Cam Newton), a good owner (Jerry Richardson), good location, great place to work. I think it would be a good situation,” he said. “Same with San Diego; you just need somebody to get (Philip Rivers) straightened out.”
In the next group, he put the Jets ahead of the Eagles, and then Jacksonville, followed by Buffalo, Cleveland and Kansas City.

“New York is New York, a great city,” the personnel man said for putting the Jets ahead of the Eagles. “And (the Jets) have some pieces in place on defense that can give you hope to compete right away.”

Obviously he is not a fan of either Jets quarterback, Mark Sanchez or Tim Tebow.

“No,” he said.

So the Eagles ranked fifth — or right in the middle — of the nine teams that may start a coaching search as 2012 turns into 2013.

“I put them ahead of the rest just based on history, ownership, more overall talent, being a more high profile team,” he said.

Contact Mark Eckel at meckel@njtimes.com

#2 L.E.

L.E.

EMB Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,316 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:23 AM

Really hard to believe Dallas would be the most attractive option. It can't be a positive thing having the owner calling shots the way Jerry does.

Wasn't it just not too long ago when Jerry decided Dez was going to get back to returning punts or kickoffs or whatever after Garrett decided he wasn't?

#3 JonnyEagles69

JonnyEagles69

Backup

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts
  • Fan Since:Born Green

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:53 AM

Also I dont see Rivers staying around too much longer  , so they would need a QB as well. We also have more talent the them and Panthers.

#4 DonCornelious

DonCornelious

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:03 AM

View PostL.E., on 29 November 2012 - 08:23 AM, said:

Really hard to believe Dallas would be the most attractive option. It can't be a positive thing having the owner calling shots the way Jerry does.

Wasn't it just not too long ago when Jerry decided Dez was going to get back to returning punts or kickoffs or whatever after Garrett decided he wasn't?

I also would be surprised that Dallas is a better option than CAR or SD, however would not be surprised that Dallas is a more attractive option than here.  As a new coach evaluating where to work I think having to work with Howie Roseman as your head football guy might be just as bad if not worse than working with Jerrah.

#5 macgregor

macgregor

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,164 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:42 AM

All this based on a 1 1/2 game critique of Foles that ignores the pre-season when this was a different team? I can't take this seriously.

#6 rhf123

rhf123

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,419 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:11 PM

Great - it'll be like our search for D-coordinators for the past few years.

#7 jazzy joe

jazzy joe

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:45 PM

This is a garbage article....I have seen the Eagles as the best gig according to Bleacher Report and a CBS Sports...I bet the personnel guy is Mike Lombardi...he is an Eagle hater

#8 TQC84

TQC84

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,347 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:14 PM

I'm fairly convinced that Eckel's sources are completely fabricated. His "personnel man" is probably the janitor at the Linc.