Photo
- - - - -

Week 13: Saints @ Falcons

saints falcons

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
76 replies to this topic

#1 AlpineEagle

AlpineEagle

EMB Fossil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 69,638 posts
  • Team:Eagles
  • Fan Since:1991

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:39 PM

Saints @ Falcons

#2 CMPunk

CMPunk

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:43 PM

2nd best rivalry in football today. Should be a slobber knocker

#3 mike030270

mike030270

EMB Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,540 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:46 PM

Seems like only yesterday that Brees gave them their first loss. :thumbsup:

#4 EagleJoe8

EagleJoe8

EMB Fossil

• Members
  • 82,438 posts
  • Fan Since:1992

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:07 PM

2nd best rivalry in football today. Should be a slobber knocker

Last time, you said it was the best rivalry. It's not even close to one of the best.

#5 Dawkins 20

Dawkins 20

EMB Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,690 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:21 PM

Last time, you said it was the best rivalry. It's not even close to one of the best.

Two dome teams with crappy fanbases. What's not to love?!?

#6 CMPunk

CMPunk

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:24 PM

The Saints got their bus egged by Falcons fans at the airport yesterday. Outside of BAL/PITT, I can't picture that happening in another current rivalry. It seems like one of those rivalries that unless you live in New Orleans or Atlanta, you cant really understand.

But standing back and being more realistic, here are (in my opinion), the best current rivalries in football.

1. Baltimore/Pittsburgh (no arguements here)
2. Jets/Patriots (this could cool off if the Jets continue to suck)
3. Eagles/Giants (this could cool off if the Eagles continue to suck)
4. Saints/Falcons (doesnt have alot of history but has been intense in recent years)
5. Packers/Bears (oldest rivalry in football)
6. Cowboys/Giants (the national media keeps forcing this)

Two dome teams with crappy fanbases. What's not to love?!?

The Saints have a crappy fanbase?

#7 EagleJoe8

EagleJoe8

EMB Fossil

• Members
  • 82,438 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:36 PM

The Saints got their bus egged by Falcons fans at the airport yesterday. Outside of BAL/PITT, I can't picture that happening in another current rivalry. It seems like one of those rivalries that unless you live in New Orleans or Atlanta, you cant really understand.

But standing back and being more realistic, here are (in my opinion), the best current rivalries in football.

4. Saints/Falcons (doesnt have alot of history but has been intense in recent years)

No one in their right mind would put the Bears/Packers behind the Saints and Falcons. The Saints and Falcons have been crap franchises most of their historys. Outside of their fan bases, (and maybe you of course), I don't know of anyone who gives a ish about that rivalry. I'd put every NFCE rivalry ahead of that one. I'd put the Packers/Vikings ahead of that one. I'd even put a non-division rivalry like the Pats and Colts ahead of them.

#8 Froggy

Froggy

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,213 posts
  • Team:Patriots

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:38 PM

Falcons/Saints is usually a good football game, but a storied rivalry it is NOT. Both of these franchises were complete nobody's outside of 5-6 years ago.

#9 EagleJoe8

EagleJoe8

EMB Fossil

• Members
  • 82,438 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:40 PM

Hell of a catch by Morgan!

#10 CMPunk

CMPunk

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:42 PM

No one in their right mind would put the Bears/Packers behind the Saints and Falcons. The Saints and Falcons have been crap franchises most of their historys. Outside of their fan bases, (and maybe you of course), I don't know of anyone who gives a ish about that rivalry. I'd put every NFCE rivalry ahead of that one. I'd put the Packers/Vikings ahead of that one. I'd even put a non-division rivalry like the Pats and Colts ahead of them.

I assume you mean with the exception of Redskins/Giants and Redskins/Eagles. And Packers/Vikings? There was some animosity when Favre left but outside of that, that's a strictly regional rivalry. I agree with Colts/Pats though. I can't wait to see Andrew Luck get some more experience under his belt along with some more weapons and have some battles with Tom Brady.

And Asante Samuel hurt.

#11 EagleJoe8

EagleJoe8

EMB Fossil

• Members
  • 82,438 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:44 PM

Falcons/Saints is usually a good football game, but a storied rivalry it is NOT. Both of these franchises were complete nobody's outside of 5-6 years ago.

Exactly. The Raiders and Chiefs suck right now, but that's a storied rivalry.

#12 Froggy

Froggy

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,213 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:45 PM

Brees can sometimes lose his ish when it comes to ball security...out of the "cream of the crop" QBs(Peyton, Brady, Rodgers, Brees etc..) Drew is the one that seems to have the most "wtf" throws.

#13 EagleJoe8

EagleJoe8

EMB Fossil

• Members
  • 82,438 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:47 PM

I assume you mean with the exception of Redskins/Giants and Redskins/Eagles. And Packers/Vikings? There was some animosity when Favre left but outside of that, that's a strictly regional rivalry. I agree with Colts/Pats though. I can't wait to see Andrew Luck get some more experience under his belt along with some more weapons and have some battles with Tom Brady.

And Asante Samuel hurt.

No, I was including those rivalries as well. Like Froggy said, the Falcons and Saints may make for a great game, but it's not a storied history. Both franchises have sucked for most of their history, and have only gotten good in recent years.

#14 CMPunk

CMPunk

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:52 PM

No, I was including those rivalries as well. Like Froggy said, the Falcons and Saints may make for a great game, but it's not a storied history. Both franchises have sucked for most of their history, and have only gotten good in recent years.

I understand that the NFC East is a storied division in general but is Redskins/Eagles (or Redskins/Giants) really a rivalry? I never knew any Eagles fans who hated the Redskins and vice versa. Our hatred is usually reserved for the Giants/Cowboys and theirs is reserved for the Cowboys.

#15 EagleJoe8

EagleJoe8

EMB Fossil

• Members
  • 82,438 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:57 PM

I understand that the NFC East is a storied division in general but is Redskins/Eagles (or Redskins/Giants) really a rivalry? I never knew any Eagles fans who hated the Redskins and vice versa. Our hatred is usually reserved for the Giants/Cowboys and theirs is reserved for the Cowboys.

Not trying to pick on your age here, but most of your life the Skins have been a joke. There was a time when the Skins were a great team under Joe Gibbs when they were owned by Jack Kent Cook. They've become a joke under Snyder (though with Bob in town, their fortunes may turn).

#16 CMPunk

CMPunk

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:04 PM

Not trying to pick on your age here, but most of your life the Skins have been a joke. There was a time when the Skins were a great team under Joe Gibbs when they were owned by Jack Kent Cook. They've become a joke under Snyder (though with Bob in town, their fortunes may turn).

Understood. Amazing, 10-12 years ago we were an upcoming team with a new head coach and electrifying quarterback who looked to be on the way up. The Skins were an aging team full of overpaid me-first divas with no consistent answer at quarterback or head coach. Years later, the tables have completely turned. That just goes to show you, you only have so much of a window in the NFL to win before it slams shut. I also hope it doesnt take us that long of a time to get back from the abyss like it took the Skins.

#17 Froggy

Froggy

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,213 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:10 PM

Tony G...the GOAT.

#18 EagleJoe8

EagleJoe8

EMB Fossil

• Members
  • 82,438 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:21 PM

Tony G...the GOAT.

He's ok. :P

#19 Froggy

Froggy

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,213 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:23 PM

He's ok. :P

He's only OK when you compare him to L.J. Smith ;)

#20 EagleJoe8

EagleJoe8

EMB Fossil

• Members
  • 82,438 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:26 PM

He's only OK when you compare him to L.J. Smith ;)

Well of course. Who other than LJ would have the football smarts to know he'd be stopped short of the goal line, and intelligently fumble it forward into the endzone into Freddie Mitchell's hands?

:D

#21 EagleJoe8

EagleJoe8

EMB Fossil

• Members
  • 82,438 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:29 PM

Welp, the Saints made the push for a Wild Card interesting for a few weeks, but they're now back to their early season struggles.

#22 Froggy

Froggy

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,213 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:30 PM

Well of course. Who other than LJ would have the football smarts to know he'd be stopped short of the goal line, and intelligently fumble it forward into the endzone into Freddie Mitchell's hands?

:D

:lol: That's just great football IQ...I have to admit, thinking back to those great Eagles teams in the early to mid 2000's, it's amazing how good the offense was considering how average the talent level was with people like Smith, Pinkston and Mitchell.

#23 EagleJoe8

EagleJoe8

EMB Fossil

• Members
  • 82,438 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:31 PM

Brees almost had a 3rd pick.

#24 EagleJoe8

EagleJoe8

EMB Fossil

• Members
  • 82,438 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:36 PM

:lol: That's just great football IQ...I have to admit, thinking back to those great Eagles teams in the early to mid 2000's, it's amazing how good the offense was considering how average the talent level was with people like Smith, Pinkston and Mitchell.

Well, it helped that we had a very good O-Line those years coached by someone in a position where he belonged, as well as having Donovan. Westbrook was also one of the more complete backs in the game. Great runner, great receiver, great blocker. I wish he was more durable than what he was. The NFCE and NFC in general were also a lot more mediocre back then.

#25 EagleJoe8

EagleJoe8

EMB Fossil

• Members
  • 82,438 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:46 PM

JMO, but with the kickoffs back at the 35 yard line, it almost seems pointless to enforce defensive PF fouls after TDs on the ensuing KO. The result is always a touchback, which it likely will be anyway. I'd like to see them kickoff like normal, then enforce the penalty yardage after the return.

#26 EagleJoe8

EagleJoe8

EMB Fossil

• Members
  • 82,438 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:51 PM

TMW. Any points for the Siants would be big here.

#27 Froggy

Froggy

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,213 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:53 PM

New poll idea..."who's the greatest dome QB of all time?" I think it would come down to Brees and Peyton Manning.

#28 Froggy

Froggy

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,213 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:57 PM

I can't believe what the Saints just allowed to happen...that was poor 2 minute execution.

#29 EagleJoe8

EagleJoe8

EMB Fossil

• Members
  • 82,438 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:59 PM

They wasted too much time there. They needed at least 3. You can't throw short of the goalline there.

I can't believe what the Saints just allowed to happen...that was poor 2 minute execution.

Though I don't think he played long enough to qualify, Kurt Warner was pretty damn good for his time.

#30 Froggy

Froggy

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,213 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:01 PM

They wasted too much time there. They needed at least 3. You can't throw short of the goalline there.

Though I don't think he played long enough to qualify, Kurt Warner was pretty damn good for his time.

Ahh yes Warner, good shout.