[News] Reid Explains Washburn Decision

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
29 replies to this topic

#1 DaveSpadaro

DaveSpadaro

EMB Legend

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,595 posts
  • Team:Eagles

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:23 PM

Eagles fans awoke to surprising news Monday after the early-morning announcement that the team had relieved Jim Washburn of his duties as defensive line coach and replaced him with longtime defensi...

View the full article

#2 Rivickulous

Rivickulous

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  • Fan Since:Inception

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:34 PM

This was a good move, wide 9 just wasn't getting it done.

#3 1wrangler

1wrangler

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • Fan Since:1965

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:41 PM

In retrospect I am wondering if Andy believes that he should have released Washburn at the same time he released Castillo and promoted Bowles. It had to be tough on Bowles being in charge of a defense (Wide Nine) that he didn't really believe in. What ifs don't help us now but I think the right call would have been to hire back John Spagnuolo right away when he became available at the end of last year. I understand why Andy didn't. He had too many new coaches in place to get rid of them all and go with Spags. And of course his loyalty to Castillo came into play as well. Time to move on fans. Better days ahead!

#4 dub sel

dub sel

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,457 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:44 PM

Bring back mcdermott as coordinator!

#5 rehabmax

rehabmax

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:44 PM

When will Andy relieve himself of coaching responsibility?

#6 ek218

ek218

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:09 PM

That would be Steve Spagnuolo -  like how he emphasized loyal for Brasher.  Its now time for Marty to be relieved of his duties and Andy to throw in the towel.  No excuses - no one wants to hear them.  If Lurie is too cheap to eat the last year of his contract, I will pass a hat among the real fans to help him out.

#7 itsayoungearth

itsayoungearth

Training Camp Body

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:45 PM

Washburn was a great coach...but i understand where Andy was coming from...Washburn wasn't like family on the same page...Washburn is to the Eagles coaching staff what probowlers were to the rest of the team as far as gelling together goes....Washburn defended Cullen Jenkins when Andy tore into him....
I think Andy cam keep his job...but Marty and Bowles need to go....no surprise if it happens next Monday AM

#8 dave1974

dave1974

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:08 PM

The problem with the defense was not the DL. Last night they were getting pressure on Romo but they should use Kendricks as a spy because they are getting beat after the QB scramble away from presssure. They have to find away to utilize Kendrick's speed. He is not a tackling machine like Demeco but he can make splash plays but he has to be left to roam. Some players are just play-makers, he's a guy that is best when he is asked to just fly around and make plays. The problem with this team is over-coaching which stifles a lot of players natural athletic ability. The great coaches adjust to their players strengths we don't. That td to Riley Cooper was not the original call but Foles checked into that play. Riley Cooper and Jeremy Maclin are not utilized properly Maclin is better in the slot and can run after the catch and Cooper can make plays on the ball in the red-zone but they are not given the opportunities to make plays. Bryce Brown is going to be a very rich young man if stays healthy, holds onto the ball and stays focus. Opposing teams are going to have to bring that eighth man in the box even more than with Shady. I would love to see Shady and Brown standing next to Foles in the Shotgun Formation. The only reason we are seeing these rookies is because of injuries it forced Andy Reid to put these guys in the game its not as if he did this on his own. When they finally grow a pair and bench Allen, Nmandi and DRC we won't see WR's and TE's wide open in the secondary. I don't care how talented the starting DBs are they consistently give up 3rd down completions for 1st downs, long TDs every game on blown coverages and they tackle poorly.

#9 McCoyRocks25

McCoyRocks25

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:44 PM

I think the only DB that should be returning next year is DRC the rest of them are garbage. We need to go out and sign a good quality safety and not just hope to find one in the draft. Then next year r oline will be alot better once all the injuries heal up we just need to replace watkins bc hes a joke

#10 rohash

rohash

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:18 PM

The fact that AR is replacing assistant coaches at this point in the season seems a little odd to me. I think everyone, including me, suspects AR will be fired at the end of this season but now I have to wonder. If that's the case then what is the point of bringing in new coaches now? Maybe he knows something we don't know.

#11 #10DJackson#10

#10DJackson#10

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:52 PM

has anyone else noticed that we are running the ball now i bet vick wishes they ran a little more when he was quarterback and mccoy   i hope this kind of offense continues if we sure up all these blown coverages we might have a team

#12 danceswithrocks

danceswithrocks

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:09 PM

Washburn move is too little, too late.  AR's quote re Brasher being ". . . very loyal, loyal assistant coach . . ." is telling. Time to circle the wagons?  It won't work.  Brasher may be a good choice, I can't tell, but the change appears to be for the wrong reasons.

#13 Bigdaddy1974

Bigdaddy1974

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:37 PM

I feel he does know something we dont. Im thinking the owner does too. I honestly think they need to clean house bring in a good GM like polland and clean the house. Let Reid stay he is one of the best coaches in the NFL. bring in a real GM let him make the decisions and let Reid do the coaching. keep staly bowles zordich brasher. clean the rest out. Reid needs to stay put but lose some power. We got the head coach and god knows we got the talent. the owner needs to dump vick jenkins bell and both garbage corners. its time to let those young guns do just that step up to play corner. to be honest the biggest need i see is a 1st Off tackle 2nd corner 3rd safety and shore up the rest of the offence line with the rest of the picks. like i said we got the coach we have some solid assist coaches but we need to clean the rest of the coaches out. and take some power from reid and let him do what he does best coach. all of you who hate reid think of it like this who else can teach foles to be a good QB other then reid.

#14 ackid38

ackid38

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,433 posts
  • Fan Since:69

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:43 PM

Wow.We have 2 awesome CBs,Nnmadi and DRC are great .The problem is that when the D-line cant get pressure on the qb and he has all day to stand there while the WRs run routes what do you expect.I think the coverage is great.No DB knows what the WR is going to do,unless you play for the Patriots and spygate.....Disrupt the Qb and our Dbs coverage is great.on top of that our safeties need to step up and help out.Everyone keeps blaming the CBs for poor play.,.One thing for sure,there is no such thing as a shut down 100% CB.no where. Not even 80%..look up the stats people.Brian McCain from the texans is at the top with 71%,.....heres stats for DRC.....2 Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie PHI 33 15 45.45% 211 0 3 28.7.....just saying.......so its not great...DRC is ranked 2nd....with 54.55%.......i dont see Nnmadis.......Just get tired of the blame getting put on our CBs.......its a very difficult position to play,maybe the hardest on the D side of the ball.if we get pressure on qbs our cbs will do the rest..and get some better safeties.....

#15 EAGLESNY1

EAGLESNY1

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts
  • Fan Since:1977

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:10 PM

Not many guys including Bowles knows the wide nine, well. That is why he is gone. To see if this D can do better with a reg blitzing 4-3 scheme. Like they have always done.These guys are all products of a reg 4-3. It isn't working in Detroit either. Blows big plays. Back to the basics. Old school Eagles style D. I bet it helps. Lets face it, it can't get worst then blowing every important 3rd down. He is sparing his friends from anymore disgrace.

#16 EAGLESNY1

EAGLESNY1

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:22 PM

They are not keeping Andy. Screw Bowles, Zordich, April and Marty. The GM is good, You don't know ****. The owner likes what Howie has done. He has drafted and brought guys here through free agency. He is always looking for ways to improve this team. Fire everyone except  Howie. Bowles was a good Secondary coach and Juan could of been good on either lines but those ships sailed. People can not be that stupid that they think all of a sudden all the talent we had is gone. Gotta blame coaching basics. Stay in your lanes and tackle. Obvious the coaching is poor, when all RB's coach or Training staff had to make sure of was for Bryce to hold the ball right. Teachers teach, players play.

#17 EAGLESNY1

EAGLESNY1

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:25 PM

If Brown did not fumble, we would of won. We beat ourselves.

#18 DanTheMan81

DanTheMan81

Training Camp Body

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:26 PM

Nnmadi and DRC great? AHAHAHAHA! THANKS haven't laughed that hard since i watched those two softies let Bryant and Auastin walk untouched in the endzone lastnight

#19 moblack029

moblack029

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:35 PM

FIRE the entire Coaching Staff!  Then FIRE Nnamdi, DRC, Jackson, and the entire Offensive Line! Hire Coach Bill Cowher!  The Eagles will win again in the near future! We just need a quality Head Coach!  Go Eagles Go!

#20 EAGLESNY1

EAGLESNY1

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:39 PM

Watching Baltimore vs Pittsburgh, made me realize just how important a big physical D is. The turnovers, sacks, INT's. We have the guys when Bowles was coaching the secondary is when we had all our INT's. We are undersized. I like speed but their are allot of big guys that are fast, now. Perry Fewell is are best bet, he gets it done despite injuries on D. Their will be plenty of OC vets out there. Perry will get the D in line  and he deserves a shot. Two rings as a coach with the giants. Gruden is a long shot, but Gruden and Ron Rivera as DC, could be a another option. HC  is a toss up but their are plenty of good OC and DC candidates, when teams fire their HC's.

#21 EAGLHITZ

EAGLHITZ

Training Camp Body

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Fan Since:BIRTH

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:57 PM

WE dont need wins MAN! WE NEED TO DRAFT IN THE TOP 3!!!FOR f'ing ONCE GET A REAL PLAYER! WHY WIN NOW FOR WHAT ??? TO LOSE OUR SPOT SITING 3RD LAST LOOKING GREAT ,theres so many teams just 1 game won more than us if we would have won we would be in 10th spot rite now!!!

#22 dave1974

dave1974

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:17 AM

Vinny Curry didn't see the field so Coach "a**"burn was canned.

#23 dave1974

dave1974

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:19 AM

I say bring Juan back as the DC and bench Nmandi, DRC and Allen for the rest of the season.

#24 dave1974

dave1974

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:38 AM

The "wide nine" the football term for ends line up wide and give the opponent 9 rushing yards. Its should be renamed the 2nd and 1. lol

#25 dave1974

dave1974

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:43 AM

The new name for our starting DB's, "Bowles bowels boyz".

#26 dave1974

dave1974

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:50 AM

Its time to bench Trent Cole he sucks now.

#27 1960stillwaitin

1960stillwaitin

Training Camp Body

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:02 AM

The saga of our Swiss Cheese Defense continues. Like I said before, what's wrong with taking a few pages out of Jim Johnson's (RIP) defense. This way you'll find out what kind of players you have and can they intimidate the opposition ? Need to re-evaluate the entire secondary however the front seven is what I believe can be tweaked and molded into a mean green machine ! Special Teams have improved and the offense is a work in progress with the key word PROGRESS. I think Nick Foles is a keeper. Would love to see a smash mouth offense with both McCoy & Brown in the same backfield. It's on my Christmas wish list !

#28 Whoissantaclaus

Whoissantaclaus

Training Camp Body

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Fan Since:1996

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:54 PM

I have no idea why people wanna see Cowher here has coach. If there was one more coach out there that was even worse than Reid at game clock management, it is definitely Bill Cowher. Cowher would be my choice if Gruden or any other good coaches don't come here.

#29 dave1974

dave1974

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:14 PM

This offense will be the same Shady, Djax, Jmac, Avant & Celek with same bad play-calling and lack of balance. Hopefully, Foles is a hall of famer or we get new coaches. I wouldn't mind Jimmy Johnson of Fox NFL sunday coaching this group of players, I think his balanced offensive game plan is just what we need for this group of players.

#30 Cindeth

Cindeth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Fan Since:2004

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:33 AM

if Reid had to fire som1 shoulda been off. coordinator the defense is what saved the 3 wins we got. Idk about anyone else but id still like to see Eagles win and improve their record for no other reason than pride and knowing at least your better than the Browns...btw so everyone knows, protecting Vick was the only way to have avoided this demise. I think the O-line was slacking when Vick was in because look at the protection Foles is getting...everyone of those guys should of been scared of getting cut the way they played for Vick and most prolly should get cut because that proves they weren't giving %100.