- - - - -

Sick of hearing about all these great rookie QB's

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 jmac+djaxallday

jmac+djaxallday

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,346 posts
  • Team:Eagles

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:35 PM

Sure, this has been a particularly good rookie QB class, with Russell Wilson, Andrew Luck, and RG3 all leading their team into the thick of the playoff hunt, and Nick Foles, Brandon Weeden, and Ryan Tannehil having thegir moments.  But this is more than simply a special batch of rookie quarterbacks, this is the evolution of the game, and it's not for the better.  The facts are, it didn't used to be this easy for rookies to accolomate themselves to the NFL.  Nearly every single rule change over the the last decade has had the intention of protecting players, and creating easier opportunities for scoring points and appealing to the new generation of football fans.

Well I'm sorry.  I don't want to watch 38-33 Sunday Night football games.  Granted, I don't want 6-3 finals with incompetant offenses either, but if I wanted insane amount of points I'd watch the arena league or the big 12.  There needs to be a balance between great defense and great offense, and that balance has been slowly swinging disproportionatly in favor of the offense.  The Niners likely have the best defense in the league, and the Patriots probably have the best offense.  Would anybody else be surprised if the Patriots put up 30+ points when they play?  Conversely, most of us would be shocked if the Patriots didn't crack double digits.

Look, I love TD passes, great quarterback play, and exciting receivers as much as the next guy, but I also love big hits, and the classic 13-10 street fight now and again.  Nowadays, we only get those type of games when the quarterback play is truly incompetant (I.E. Batch vs. Flacco a couple weeks ago, or Sanchez-Lindley yesterday).

Cite whatever reasons you want for the changes, and they may well be reasonable.  I just find myself less and less interested with each passing week with ridiculous measures to protect the quarterback and 35-31 finals.  Anybody else feel the same?

#2 RedskinsFan01

RedskinsFan01

EMB Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,920 posts
  • Team:Redskins

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:27 PM

Its because of all the rule changes that hurts defensive play. I remember when Sean Taylor used to knock WRs lights out but now it would be a penalty and fine for a "defenseless" receiver.

#3 Froggy

Froggy

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,950 posts
  • Team:Patriots

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:29 PM

I feel the same, although I don't really think you need to be bent out of shape about the amount of credit those rookie QBs are getting. But about your overall sentiment of the league and how much it has changed, I totally agree with you.

#4 Pastor Troy

Pastor Troy

Starter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:25 PM

dude shut up

#5 skippyx

skippyx

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,257 posts
  • Fan Since:1978

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:29 AM

Most of the guys are mediocre. (Tannehill, Foles, Weeden)
RGIII and Luck are the real deal so far.

Cam Newton flexes in losses, goes 9-19 and gets treated like a great QB.
All these guys do is carry their teams to wins.

If Peyton Manning was a superhero for winning 10 games with the 2010 Colts, what is Luck while on a pace to win 10 or 11 in 2012?
Luck is 8-4 with five 4th quarter comebacks as a rookie.
He has to throw 42 times a game and is averaging just under 300 yards a game.

Do you think this Redskins team resembles the slop led by Grossman, Beck, and McNabb?
RG3 could knock the defending champs out of the playoffs in a month.
He is playing like Randall Cunningham 1990. (on pace for 3300+ passing 24 TDs , 960 rushing 8 TDs while not losing 10 games)
They gave up 3 #1s for him and it looks like a bargain so far.

I was sick of hearing about Tebow, Suh, Jerry Jones and Replacement refs.
I can listen to news about these guys all day long.

#6 jonnyeagles12

jonnyeagles12

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:17 AM

Redskins Giants, 17-16, both good QB's? Don't blame the league for the rules, player safety has to come first now days, everyone knows that.

Great defenses are still around. You can still limit teams to below 20 points if you're a good defense, especially in the playoffs, defense's always show up.

Remember its not just about points anymore either, look at the Bears, how many times do they take the ball away! The league is fine the way it is, look at guys like Revis who were shutting down receiver after receiver. You can still cover guys, just in a less physical way than you could before.

#7 bringithome6

bringithome6

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,158 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:45 AM

these rookies are getting all the hype because they are still being judged on the same standard as the rookie qbs a decade ago when they struggled in their rookie year like manning or mcnabb. But For the past 3 years now rookie qbs have been breaking records. Bradford broke mannings completion record, Cam broke yardage records, RGIII and luck are probably going to break cam's records.  So I think it's time people change their expectations of rookie qbs.

#8 Eagle Jeff

Eagle Jeff

Starter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,307 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:44 PM

View PostRedskinsFan01, on 03 December 2012 - 06:27 PM, said:

Its because of all the rule changes that hurts defensive play. I remember when Sean Taylor used to knock WRs lights out but now it would be a penalty and fine for a "defenseless" receiver.
Also known as dirty play.

#9 Rodney_Zero

Rodney_Zero

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 45,581 posts
  • Fan Since:Hairston

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:25 PM

How about the second year guys that where drafted with #1 picks, like Ponder, Locker & Gabbert

#10 RedskinsFan01

RedskinsFan01

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 10,920 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:42 PM

View PostRodney_Zero, on 04 December 2012 - 04:25 PM, said:

How about the second year guys that where drafted with #1 picks, like Ponder, Locker & Gabbert

I remember when the media and everyone on this board slammed the skins for not drafting one of them and rolling with Grossman but none of them have really shown anything so far.

#11 jmac+djaxallday

jmac+djaxallday

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,346 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:50 PM

View Postbringithome6, on 04 December 2012 - 09:45 AM, said:

these rookies are getting all the hype because they are still being judged on the same standard as the rookie qbs a decade ago when they struggled in their rookie year like manning or mcnabb. But For the past 3 years now rookie qbs have been breaking records. Bradford broke mannings completion record, Cam broke yardage records, RGIII and luck are probably going to break cam's records.  So I think it's time people change their expectations of rookie qbs.

Exactly.  A rookie QB will win the SB sometime in the next decade.  You've got third rounders like Nick Foles carving up defenses in their fourth start - that's just not a good sign for the NFL.

#12 cmart102

cmart102

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,763 posts
  • Fan Since:ever?

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:53 PM

I completely understand the getting rid of hits against defenseless receivers part of the game.

What pisses me off is the "illegal contact" rules they changed in 04.

#13 Pegger

Pegger

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 11,182 posts
  • Fan Since:1988

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:59 PM

I think this is more a reflection of how the game has changed at the high school and college levels. Now they are being asked to read defenses and go through progressions a lot earlier and at a far higher level.

Those saying it's the rules are just wrong. Otherwise why aren't QBs like Brees and Brady having their best seasons if the QB position somehow got easier.

#14 Invictus Maneo

Invictus Maneo

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:38 PM

View PostPegger, on 10 December 2012 - 05:59 PM, said:

I think this is more a reflection of how the game has changed at the high school and college levels. Now they are being asked to read defenses and go through progressions a lot earlier and at a far higher level.

Those saying it's the rules are just wrong. Otherwise why aren't QBs like Brees and Brady having their best seasons if the QB position somehow got easier.

Last season Drew Brees had the best season of his career, and Brady had arguably one of the better seasons of his career thusfar. Just sayin...

#15 gameshowfan91

gameshowfan91

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,848 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:47 PM

View Postcmart102, on 10 December 2012 - 03:53 PM, said:

I completely understand the getting rid of hits against defenseless receivers part of the game.

What pisses me off is the "illegal contact" rules they changed in 04.
What illegal contact rules?

#16 cmart102

cmart102

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,763 posts
  • Fan Since:ever?

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:15 PM

View Postgameshowfan91, on 10 December 2012 - 09:47 PM, said:

What illegal contact rules?
Not sure if you're trolling me or not, but I'll respond anyway.
In 2004 the NFL basically made it illegal to touch receivers beyond 5 yards (more illegal contact calls). Before Corners were allowed to be more physical before the ball was thrown. Basically what nnamdi does now anyways that most other corners would get flagged for.