[Spadaro] QB Talk: Foles Under Center

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
216 replies to this topic

#1 DaveSpadaro

DaveSpadaro

PhiladelphiaEagles.com

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,521 posts
  • Team:Eagles

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:22 PM

His time is now, and as we mark the official move into the Nick Foles Era, a franchise pauses to mark the occasion. From Donovan McNabb to Kevin Kolb to Michael Vick and now to Foles and the unknown future ...

View the full article

#2 hedge8727

hedge8727

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts
  • Fan Since:1961

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:24 PM

Beginning of a new era

#3 hedge8727

hedge8727

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:27 PM

Could this be the guy that leads the iggles to their first trophy?

#4 hyperswipe

hyperswipe

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:33 PM

View Posthedge8727, on 03 December 2012 - 08:27 PM, said:

Could this be the guy that leads the iggles to their first trophy?
You people are idiots! lets see him win a friggen game in this league? I've never seen a QB go 0-4 in his first 4 games and "win" a starting job over a proven starter! it's not like Colin Kapernick beating out Alex Smith... Kapernick= much better than Foles... Vick= much better than Smith.

#5 BleedingGreen93

BleedingGreen93

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:38 PM

Foles and the Eagles O won the Cowboys game and the panthers game it was poor D play that cost us the games. Foles is only one man he can't do it all by his self football is a team sport it takes all 11guys on both side of the ball to win games

#6 hedge8727

hedge8727

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:40 PM

Haha Foles is already playing much better than the 10 year vet he replaced. I'm glad to see some intelligence from the organization on the QB choice. I'm just curious where the decision came from. Maybe we can pawn off the previous QB for a seventh rounder to some unsuspecting team.

#7 BleedingGreen93

BleedingGreen93

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:40 PM

And this isn't Foles winning the starting job over Vick this is the Eagles looking to see what they have in there rookie QB in a season that is finished if we were still playing for playoffs Vick would be the starting guy still

#8 senhorcook

senhorcook

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:46 PM

This loss felt differently? Really Dave? The ONLY reason is because there were ZERO expectations to win with a bunch of rookies, backups, and a defense that plays with no passion and no commitment. I was pleasantly surprised with Foles, but I won't annoint him a long term answer yet. Those DBs are not going to keep dropping those passes he throws directly to them. Admittedly he played within himself. Again, he didn't win, which is what matters the most. My concern is that he didnt win in college and he hasnt won here yet either.
Brown- I truly like the kid. He is a gamer! But this league has no tolerance for fumblitis. He will either correct it quickly or he will be looking for new employment.
The defense - No injuries. Cole, Babin, Jenkins, Ryans, DRC, Nnamdi.....SIX of 11 players on the defense that have been pro bowl players and age wise should still be in their prime. Yet this is the worst defense that I have ever witnessed for the Eagles. How is it possible? Babin wasnt the problem. Defensive coordinator? The players are OFTEN out of position. Nate Allen needs to be benched immediately. But how do you explain the D line? They dont stop the run well and they get little to no pressure on the QB. When the Eagles blitz, they still dont put pressure on the QB. How could this many defensive pro bowl players suck so badly?

#9 BillTheButcher

BillTheButcher

Whoopsie Daisy

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:50 PM

you cant ignore geno if he falls in our laps. you just cant.

#10 BleedingGreen93

BleedingGreen93

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:51 PM

Senhorcook....did u see his college team i don't blame him for losing in college he played in the tough Pac-12 with a poor D and an AWFUL OL everyone puts to much on the QB football is an team sport one man DOES NOT WIN THE GAME it's a team effort.

#11 BleedingGreen93

BleedingGreen93

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:54 PM

Senhorcook....y do u only call out Nate Allen???? i can understand he is more of a disappointment because him being the 2nd round pick but Coleman has been just as bad if not worse then Allen.

#12 Blkfyrmn

Blkfyrmn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
  • Fan Since:1970

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:55 PM

Okay...I'm going to say it! It sure seemed like Foles had more time to throw than Vick ever has had...It sure seemed like the WR's are running better routes than they ever ran with Vick...It sure seems like the play calling gives Foles a chance to succeed better than Vick ever had...Dare I say, lets work hard for the pretty white kid and lets let the black felon make his own way! I hope I'm wrong but I have to believe what I see... Don't shoot the messenger, it is what it is...

#13 BleedingGreen93

BleedingGreen93

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:59 PM

Vick is harder to block for u never know where Vick is going to be one moment he is in the pocket next he is somewhere out of the pocket. plus teams blitz Vick more and make him beat them with his arm and quick decisions something he has struggled with

I will give play-calling has been poor but it was for Foles in his first 2games as well its only been the last 2weeks that the playcalling has become pretty good and balanced.

#14 Blkfyrmn

Blkfyrmn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:02 PM

BG, I sure hope you're right... but besides that, there's no possible way to win with that defense. So disappointed in every DB out there...I played DB and can tell when a guy takes the wrong angle to miss a tackle because he's scared...The entire DB section take that angle! They also wait instead of attacking, something we have never had on the Eagle secondary. It's so sad! They should take up golf!

#15 gwilkie

gwilkie

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:04 PM

Finally athe Eagles wake up.  Now get someone in there that understands tall QBs and help this kid improve.  Second get rid of the corners and the safties and get someone who can play the position.  Lets get a real D coordinator and buiold from there.  Get rid of DJackson he is useless.  Good at best when things are good.  Avant is the best reciever on the team.  He proves to be the one reciever who can go over the middle.  Get a tall tight end and some taller recievers.  Where is Burgess when we need him oh yeah Pitt picked him up even though he would have came to Philadelphia.  Reid will be back next year, Morty the Mooron will be gone, a new D coordinator will be in town, The D will learn to tackle (maybe) and the next generation will be in the making!

#16 senhorcook

senhorcook

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:21 PM

Coleman is just as bad, but he plays with passion and will hit somebody. Unfortunately, he gets lost and cant find anyone to hit. Haha. I live in the west and watch the PAC12 more than any other conference. His team was not great no question. But a good QB can make a big difference....more so than in the NFL where the athletes are much better all over. He didnt win in college. He played well last night. But at any time those passes that hit the defenders in the hands are going to be 6 the other way. I want him to be the guy. I am not convinced after one good performance and a loss and two poor performances and two more losses.

#17 BleedingGreen93

BleedingGreen93

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:31 PM

Senhorcook...Foles has a long way to go but i think we can see the potienal there for him to be a good if not great QB. As for the Pac-12 how many games would AZ have won if Foles wasn't the QB??? his senior yr was his only bad yr in terms of wins(with 4) the other 2yrs he was there he won 7games each season which is pretty good.
I'm all for getting another QB in like the 2nd/3rd round or even FA to compete with Foles next season i'm a huge fan of open competition.

#18 Blkfyrmn

Blkfyrmn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:35 PM

Oh yeah... One more thing!!! Special Teams and Kick-off are a joke! Tell who ever the kid is that returns kick-offs to just take a knee pal...He has never gotten past the 20 yard line...He puts us in a hole every time he returns the ball and I cringe because I know he's going to give it up...On our ST coverage I think the same people that play DB are on the Special Team because none of them want to make a tackle either...Simply said, the Eagles are SOFT all the way around! Sad day...

#19 mike1023

mike1023

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:43 PM

Brandon Graham hasn't disappointed this year! Let's look for the bright spots if we can.

#20 senhorcook

senhorcook

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:45 PM

BG, we're on the same page. I'm fine with putting Foles to work with a season thats over. I just dont want the Eagles to do a "Scott Mitchell" mistake and put the franchise on his back yet. He needs to continue to show improvement AND WIN some games.
Blkfrymn, funny stuff! I feel the same way.  Take a knee already Boykin!

#21 BleedingGreen93

BleedingGreen93

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:48 PM

I much as i want to see Foles win games and this team with this D it makes it hard really the Eagles should have one the last 2weeks if it wasn't for that thing we call a D. WR/TE have been wide open over the last 5weeks did u see the record breaking #'s QB's have against us over a 140 QB rating :(

#22 mike1023

mike1023

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:59 PM

Maybe if Castilio stuck with press coverage on Calvin Johnson in the 4th quarter we'd be in a different position right now, because since Bowles took over he'd be lucky to have a job next season.

#23 VA Green

VA Green

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:59 PM

I think Reid is back next year. To bring in an outside coach is very telling.Lurie isn't a dumb man.  Reid had had a banged up Oline and has delt with second and third string replacements.  I have to wonder if Reid loses some power but comes back as the head coach and gets rid of ded weight like Nnamdi,Coleman,Allan,etc Maybe Lurie has more say with his staff

#24 disgustedfan25

disgustedfan25

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:10 PM

BG...Really liked your post on Spuds' other article about who to get rid of.  Really want to see an overhaul of the secondary and would love a true number one receiver with a big time tight end.  Need some more competition at linebacker and definitely need some headhunters on special teams.  As far as head coach, it is very difficult to get a bead on which direction Lurie is gonna go.

#25 phillyphanwest

phillyphanwest

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,130 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:15 PM

VA, I'm on the same page. I just have some weird feeling that Andy will be back.

#26 senhorcook

senhorcook

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:22 PM

Ppw, I hope you are right. Reid is a great coach. I rather stick with him. I would like to see new coordinators though.

#27 jwood5151

jwood5151

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,461 posts
  • Fan Since:1957

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:27 PM

Can't believe the changed attitude toward Nick Foles from several posters...beginning to see the light a bit are we? Lets not get too excited--BRYCE BROWN is the main reason the OL looks better and Foles mysteriously has time to pass. The Dallas DL had to honor Brown's ability to make yards. Where Shady is fearful and shifty, Bryce dips a shoulder and makes his cut...and run down hill like a freight train down a long hill. MM looks like a "genius" suddenly because their is a kid who can run the ball better than 90% of the backs in the NFL---including Shady McCoy!!!!!

This was MM same old nasty offense with one player making a difference. Running out of the shotgun is some LAME SCHEME. Put Bryce behind Havili and see him reel off a 200 yard game or better. Let Nick use play action and go long.

As has been said here for 14 seasons: Andy Reid put the cart before the horse in his offense. Westbrook bailed out the McNabb led O and now Brown is bailing out the MM designed O.

Taking nothing away from young Nick Foles who made some very nice throws--he is NOT ready to carry the team himself, nor should he. He did a great job distributing the ball to his WRs.

No doubt: Bryce Brown is the man. ( amazing how limited his touches in college in NFL and what he does already in a poorly schemed offense)

#28 jwood5151

jwood5151

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,461 posts
  • Fan Since:1957

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:32 PM

>>senhor: Reid is yesterday. He has slopped and slipped from one error to the next. He can't even choose a staff of capable assistants to lead the Dream Team 1 and Dream Team 2. he has never enjoyed more absolute authority in the Organization ( no Joe Banner) and has never enjoyed more access to Lurie's money ( free agent splurge) or support for his hare-brained personnel choices ( Vick, Vince Young).

Andy was done and finished 2 years after his single superbowl appearance.

Reid should have been left in Dallas following the loss. AR is not a "bad guy" or a villian. Its time to move ahead. Yet you want Dream team 3...amazing...!!??

#29 BleedingGreen93

BleedingGreen93

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:46 PM

Jwood...the limited carries Bryce has had is really showing though in how he carries the football out wide swinging loosely from his body. Once that is corrected he could be every bit as good as AP for the Vikings

#30 CouldCareLess

CouldCareLess

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,242 posts
  • Fan Since:1996

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:08 PM

Guess we are the bottom feeders of the NFC east for awhile. Not even a good defense this time around. Sigh 3-13