Photo
- - - - -

Kickoffs disappearing?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
41 replies to this topic

#1 Pegger

Pegger

EMB Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,270 posts
  • Team:Eagles
  • Fan Since:1988

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:06 AM

As PFT discussed Goodell was on the cover of Time magazine and within the discussion within he discussed eliminating kickoffs. essentially make it a 4th and 15 where the team can punt (to replace the kickoff) or go for it (to replace the onside kick).

It's an interesting change. The issue I'd have is 15 yards might not be long enough. The chance of converting a 15 yard play (by pentalty, completion or run) is far greater than recovering an onside kick. Also if you team has a really bad defense there's a chance the other team elects to keep going for teh 4th and 15 and ultimately your offense might not see the field.

#2 matchew88

matchew88

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 11,041 posts
  • Fan Since:Lift Off

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:07 AM

The newest innovation in football safety for the NFL:

Posted Image

#3 Regal

Regal

Starter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:24 AM

I hate Goodell.

#4 NOTW

NOTW

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 23,284 posts
  • Fan Since:1977

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:41 PM

Interesting idea, probably aimed at making football even more about offense and scoring points. Onsides are tough to recover, 4th and 15 has better odds, but then again the defense can play like they would any 4th & 15. Its worth considering since kickoffs are almost pointless now.

#5 Pegger

Pegger

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 11,270 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:05 PM

I hate Goodell.

I think he's great. He's actually seeing where the sport is going and making proactive changes to ensure it's growth.

What do you really hate about him? Maybe there's something about the sport on the business side you don't understand.

#6 Eagles3785

Eagles3785

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts
  • Fan Since:1991

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:31 PM

http://www.cbssports...ckoffs-entirely

He'd be open to having the team that just scored get the ball on the 30 yard line and have 1 chance to get 15 yards, or they could punt it

WTF is he talking about???

The NFL is turning into a pansy league, they already eliminated kickoffs when they moved the ball forward 5 yards...Only rookies with something to prove are attempting to return kicks 8 yards deep in their endzone

#7 Solomon

Solomon

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 26,737 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:35 PM

"Son, I remember football when they used to wear pads instead of flags."

#8 CaliEagle

CaliEagle

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 21,198 posts
  • Fan Since:1978

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:41 PM

He's going to damage the NFL like no other NFL commisioner before him with these kinds of decisions.

#9 SP

SP

EMB Legend

• Banned
  • 10,973 posts
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:42 PM

With how serious brain injuries are and that the majority of injuries come on special teams plays? Listen, we all like watching guys slam into each other (people like Bobeph and GA4M for reasons associated with similar vocabulary), but come on... they're humans too and they're literally cutting years and maybe decades from their lives on plays like these.

The only other solution I can think of is to eliminate the helmet... but you look at rugby, and there's still vicious head-to-head contact.

#10 cowboy_ron

cowboy_ron

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,742 posts
  • Team:Cowboys

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:42 PM

Interesting idea, probably aimed at making football even more about offense and scoring points. Onsides are tough to recover, 4th and 15 has better odds, but then again the defense can play like they would any 4th & 15. Its worth considering since kickoffs are almost pointless now.

Actually it's a lamebrain idea...like the OP touched on is that a team has is having a great day on 4th down to the extent of the Tyree and Manningham level, the other team COULD mathematically never touch the field on offense. Just another Goodell and Mara pillow talk session.

#11 evilwaldo

evilwaldo

EMB Fossil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,968 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:43 PM

How many guys get injured on kickoffs versus regular play?

#12 Eagles3785

Eagles3785

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts
  • Fan Since:1991

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:48 PM

Guy's we live in a science world, i saw something on ESPN a while ago where people are developing new helmets so good that you could get hit by a starving Andy Reid chasing a cheese burger and be fine

#13 kilco

kilco

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,201 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:52 PM

Somebody needs to take this guy out....

#14 BtotheH

BtotheH

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,651 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:09 PM

Dumb as hell and confusing as hell. God what an idiot.

So what happens when you go for the 15 and your successful, you get the ball back (almost like an onside kick?). What happens if you are not suuccessful with the 15 yard try, do you then punt it off? As much respect as I may give Schiano for being an old school hard guy, this idea of his is more stpid then him "playing to the whistle".

Also what about opening kick-offs since it is the start of the game and no one has technically scored yet?

Just questions for fun, although I hate the idea.

#15 wtfcares

wtfcares

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:18 PM

Dumb as hell and confusing as hell. God what an idiot.

So what happens when you go for the 15 and your successful, you get the ball back (almost like an onside kick?). What happens if you are not suuccessful with the 15 yard try, do you then punt it off? As much respect as I may give Schiano for being an old school hard guy, this idea of his is more stpid then him "playing to the whistle".

Also what about opening kick-offs since it is the start of the game and no one has technically scored yet?

Just questions for fun, although I hate the idea.

The idea would be only after touchdowns and field goals not the start of halfs. If you were to go for it and be successful, it would be like recovering an onside kick like you said. However if you go for it and don't get it then the other team gets it wherever the play ends, giving them great field position to start the drive. It's an interesting idea.

#16 20eagles11

20eagles11

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:19 PM

Not tryin to be harsh Football players kno the risk of the game if they don't like it find another job no one is forcin them to play

#17 EaglesCB37

EaglesCB37

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 904 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:20 PM

Guy's we live in a science world, i saw something on ESPN a while ago where people are developing new helmets so good that you could get hit by a starving Andy Reid chasing a cheesesteak and be fine

Fixed :thumbsup:

#18 BtotheH

BtotheH

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,651 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:40 PM

The idea would be only after touchdowns and field goals not the start of halfs. If you were to go for it and be successful, it would be like recovering an onside kick like you said. However if you go for it and don't get it then the other team gets it wherever the play ends, giving them great field position to start the drive. It's an interesting idea.

Those were my thoughts on how it would go. But the idea kind of contradicts the full speed issue, a lot of teams would play it safe because it may be early in the game and they elect to punt if off from the 30 yard line, thus resulting in full speed contact as if it were a kick-off, unless it is fair caught. I think more players get hurt from punt returns than kick returns, when there is a return.

NFL needs to stop trying so hard, getting too cute, changing stuff too much. Just leave stuff the way it is, people like football for football, nothing needs to be changed.

#19 matchew88

matchew88

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 11,041 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:43 PM

Lawyers protecting interests and making more laws. That's all this is. solve 2 problems-

1. HGH testing
2. Shorter equipment contracts to force innovation in safety
3. Roll back all post-2000 rules

The answer to safety in football isn't less football.

#20 PhillyEagleDude2

PhillyEagleDude2

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,350 posts
  • Fan Since:Cunningham

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:43 PM

This dude rivals Bettman for worst commisioner in sports.

#21 GA4M

GA4M

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,293 posts
  • Team:Giants

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:46 PM

With our Special Teams, Might be a good Idea.

#22 GA4M

GA4M

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,293 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:50 PM

With how serious brain injuries are and that the majority of injuries come on special teams plays? Listen, we all like watching guys slam into each other (people like Bobeph and GA4M for reasons associated with similar vocabulary), but come on... they're humans too and they're literally cutting years and maybe decades from their lives on plays like these.

The only other solution I can think of is to eliminate the helmet... but you look at rugby, and there's still vicious head-to-head contact.

I'm gona rip you right down the middle with a chainsaw, so they can use you in the next science exhibit.

Thought I wouldn't see that sheet, didn't ya?

#23 SP

SP

EMB Legend

• Banned
  • 10,973 posts
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:08 PM

I'm gona rip you right down the middle with a chainsaw, so they can use you in the next science exhibit.

Thought I wouldn't see that sheet, didn't ya?

:roll:

It wouldn't be as funny if you didn't see it!

#24 GA4M

GA4M

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,293 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:11 PM

:roll:

It wouldn't be as funny if you didn't see it!

Meh, it was luck I saw it anyway. :lol:

#25 EagleJoe8

EagleJoe8

EMB Fossil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 80,961 posts
  • Fan Since:1992

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:14 PM

Hate the idea. As insignificant as it may sound, I think one of the coolest moments in sports, is seeing hundreds of flashes going off during the opening KO of the Super Bowl. Goodell would be going overboard with this idea.

#26 matchew88

matchew88

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 11,041 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:25 PM

1. HGH testing
2. Shorter equipment contracts to force innovation in safety
3. Roll back all post-2000 rules

The answer to safety in football isn't less football.

#27 wtfcares

wtfcares

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:43 PM

Those were my thoughts on how it would go. But the idea kind of contradicts the full speed issue, a lot of teams would play it safe because it may be early in the game and they elect to punt if off from the 30 yard line, thus resulting in full speed contact as if it were a kick-off, unless it is fair caught. I think more players get hurt from punt returns than kick returns, when there is a return.

NFL needs to stop trying so hard, getting too cute, changing stuff too much. Just leave stuff the way it is, people like football for football, nothing needs to be changed.

I'd assume from the stats they've gathered, seems like punts are safer than kick offs. Which kinda makes sense, you only have a few gunners running down the field, and the defence is running back with them. As opposed to 11vs11 running in force half the field against each other.

#28 Happyfoosball

Happyfoosball

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 12,009 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:51 PM

Logically I have been expecting this to come up for some time. Just because they are talking about it doesn't mean it happens though.

#29 Pegger

Pegger

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 11,270 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:45 PM

"Son, I remember football when they used to wear pads instead of flags."

its like when any of our fathers talk about how football 'used to be'.

This dude rivals Bettman for worst commisioner in sports.

to the uninformed fan he's probably worse.

#30 mike030270

mike030270

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 10,065 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:18 AM

Didn't the change happen last season? I'm on the side that if you can't handle the hits, don't play the game.