Photo

[News] Next Step For QB: Get A Win

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
138 replies to this topic

#1 DaveSpadaro

DaveSpadaro

EMB Legend

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,883 posts
  • Team:Eagles

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:05 AM

Tampa, FL -- If this is a long, winding road of a process to evaluate quarterback Nick Foles, what does Start No. 4 against the Bucs mean in the grand scheme of things? That's what we're here to learn ...

View the full article

#2 mike1023

mike1023

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:31 AM

LETS GET A WIN

#3 CouldCareLess

CouldCareLess

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts
  • Fan Since:1996

Posted 09 December 2012 - 02:19 AM

Doubt it. On the bright side it's warm in Florida.

#4 senhorcook

senhorcook

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 02:23 AM

Win? Its been so long. Now the birds are playing with a bunch of second stringers and a defense that is awful. I like it! Go win a game EAGLES!

#5 senhorcook

senhorcook

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 02:29 AM

Dave, you got it right, Foles has to win games.

#6 purephillyfan

purephillyfan

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,530 posts
  • Fan Since:1953

Posted 09 December 2012 - 04:06 AM

4 games left against 4 good teams. I don't see us winning any of them without lady luck being on our side. Then again if she was, there would be another Andrew Luck in next years draft.

#7 SirWalter

SirWalter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 04:44 AM

Well a win is a team win/ If errors and turnovers by other players continue then reaqlistically you can not blame Foles. Additionally, the game plan by marty has to be smarter. Last week was the first time this year it looked like pass happy Marty used his common sense except for the very first play which almost got Foles knowcked out of the game. quick passes, screens are better for foles to start the game to get in a rythm. Hopefully Brown will learn to change hand going outisde and will hold ball high and tight or he is a gone. by the way check Tom Brady first six games as a starter and lighten up on the kid because he needs a supporting cast.I am not saying Nick is Tom Brady I am simply pointing out stats.

#8 Cindeth

Cindeth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Fan Since:2004

Posted 09 December 2012 - 05:34 AM

if only the O-line blocked so well for Vick this topic would of never transpired

#9 DreamTeam2012

DreamTeam2012

Training Camp Body

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 05:49 AM

@Cindeth, blaming the inexperienced line is like blaming the inexperienced replacement refs.

#10 donsurran

donsurran

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:40 AM

While a win would help this young QB out with a tremendous gain in confidence, I can't hold the losses he has had completely on him. This offensive line is the worst product of Andy Reid's Tenure with the team. Injuries have played the key role in how bad they are, nut even more telling is the severe lack of depth. None of the O lineman we have starting with the exception of Mathis, should be a starter in the NFL. We know Reid did attempt to cover for the loss of Peters, when he signed Bell, (Who is obviously done). His move to starting rookies last season on the O line also contributes to the poor play this season. Every rookie starting in an Offense usually equates into 2 losses. We had three starting last season . Six losses (I believe) came from having that many rookies starting on the line. But their success last season allowed Andy Reid to add more young players to back up the Rookies from last season, and eliminated any real depth. Next year (God Willing) we will have the first new head coach in 15 seasons. With Foles as the starter during the last 4 games, we will see if he has the potential to truly be a starter in this league. Behind this horrific Offensive line, it is easy to see how poised he can be.

#11 Tommy J

Tommy J

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:41 AM

Can't help but think our secondary will be much better without the Wide 9. Don't know if we see it in one week

#12 donsurran

donsurran

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:58 AM

Also, Anyone who is speaking out against the change to Foles, does not know much about Football Team management. Vick had 7 full games behind the same O line that Foles is having success behind. While there is definately a change in the play calling, there is nothing to even hint at Vick having been able to do the same thing. Vick was never a great QB, even in his best years at Atlanta. He was a good QB, but his small size has caught up with him. He has had many serious injuries over his three seasons playing in Philly. Too many it apears. I would suggest that the Eagles next season should shop him around for a draft pick. By himself he would probably not get more than a 6th round pick, but by combining him with the second round pick, which should be below #40 in the draft, we should be able to pick up a second first round pick. Michael Vick would make a good mentor for a new rookie entering the league next season. With another veteran QB to back him up, and a decent O-Line, he might make it back to the Pro Bowl one more time. I don't see him winning a Super Bowl before he retires. I wish him the best, but for the sake of his health now and in the years to come, I hope he sees the writing on the wall before taking too many more hits. There is enough cases from previous years that shows how hard the NFL can be on the fragile bodies. Many of the players from the 70's and 80's who are now retired, can barely walk. And for the ones who suffered multiple Concussions during their careers, things are dramatically worse. Some don't even remember their own names.

#13 forevereagles

forevereagles

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 13,384 posts
  • Fan Since:1952

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:06 AM

Foles ha been put in a very unfavorable and unfair position. Not only is he a rookie, but these last four games are far different contenders than what Vick faced last year. Where he won the last four of the season. Every one of these last teams are in playoff contention and mode . Add to that, the loss of so many of the key players .Then there is the onus of the 8 straight losses on his shoulders that is added pressure. Your asking a 1st yr rookie to perform a miracle.

Granted he has to show that he can win games. But comming out with the W isn't the sole criteria of confirming that. In the last two games he proved that he can put up enough points to win games. He would have won them both had Brown not fumbled the ball and the lead away..and if the defense had made some key stops to get the opposition off the field. Foles did what he was expected to do. He put points on the board. Had he been with his full complment of players and a defnese that could get off the field after 3rd down those last two games would have beeb in the "W" column.

As Marty mentioned he has some great natural qualites to play the position at a high level. I feel once he becomes more comfortable and experienced we'll see the finished product that is Nick Foles. . He has a maturity and a calmness about him that is rare for someone so young. He appears to be a quick learner . As with each new team he faces he will be tested more and more. We'll see how he handles this. I've got great confidence that this adversity will only make him stronger both physically and mentally. Good luck Nick. You have many pulling for you.

#14 Canadian_philly

Canadian_philly

Training Camp Body

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:19 AM

Honestly at this point, keep it close, show what you can do, but I really hope they don't win, we have a chance at a top 5 pick, we can grab a franchise lineman or a safety. Yes it would be nice to win and I would be pumped but with this record with 4 games left the only thing a win does it bump you down in draft order. Even if we didn't use the top 5 pick we could trade it for a top 10 and a nice second rounder and get a few really solid guys for the next 10 years.

BTW, Buffalo, Jacksonville, Cincy and KC all have better O-lines than ours.....good job on talent evaluation FO

#15 zracer

zracer

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:44 AM

Foles has improved, no ints the last two games. Brown has been fumbling our last chance drives last two weeks. And if the defense was just a little bit better, we couldve won the last two weeks. He's a rookie for pets sake.

#16 DanTheMan81

DanTheMan81

Training Camp Body

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:48 AM

so depressing my fav boxer gets ko'd last night and now i have to watch V Jackson eat this secondary up.

go iggles

#17 BleedingGreen93

BleedingGreen93

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 10,258 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:23 AM

No r OL is fine when healthy we just need depth on r OL..... We r missing 3 starters on r OL in Kelce,TH,JP once those 3return we will be fine.... Someone name me one other team that has a great OL missing 3starters

#18 BleedingGreen93

BleedingGreen93

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 10,258 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:27 AM

I want Nick Foles to win a game or two this season even with a 4-12 or 5-11 record we will still most likely have a top 5 pick which we can use to draft Utah DT.....

#19 purple koolaid

purple koolaid

Training Camp Body

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Team:Bengals

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:23 AM

Foles better take this one if he can get it. But he will have to go long successfully. If he does Reid will be all smiles.

#20 sambo4

sambo4

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:27 AM

Please.....don't win NOW....we need a top pick to trade back and parlay into more picks for all the holes this team has.

#21 jwood5151

jwood5151

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,392 posts
  • Fan Since:1957

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:44 AM

>>Spadaro & Senhor: this is perhaps Dave's WORST ARTICLE of the lost season of 2012. Spuds: Football is a TEAM SPORT. Making out that this games against the Buccaneers is all about Nick Foles is absolutely, monumentally ignorant. Senhor: it's been the shaky defense that has cost this team numerous W's this season. It's well accepted by fans that Mornhinweg is not adequate as an OC. Predictable, a red zone failure, and known for leaving his QB out to get killed. Having MM tell folks that "Foles is no longer a rookie" is like having Senhor or Dave tell us that the EARTH IS FLAT.

And, this is coming from me---the guy who wanted AR to grow a pair and start Foles in game 1 against Cleveland--and let the kid learn all about the NFL..and play the season with a rookie QB...not a worn down, battered and sell-shocked Vick.

This atrocious 2012 season is a collaboration of Lurie-Roseman-Reid and Mornhinweg--with Donahoe lurking off stage whispering. Shame on you for putting today's game on Nick Foles.

#22 jwood5151

jwood5151

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,392 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:58 AM

>>cindeth: you make a wonderful observation about the OL blocking. Lets look a bit deeper. The "replacements" are finally being asked to RUN BLOCK for a power house RB whose specialty is one cut and run it down hill at the defense. The DEFENSE now has to honor the threat of a run ( hey the kids hauls the mail like Shady McCoy never did, punching holes and running over DBs) and simply cannot risk an all out pass rush at the QB. Honestly, how many YEARS, SEASONS, GAMES have knowledgeable fans been screaming until to hoarse at MM & AR..."RUN THE BALL". And, how many times have we seen MM load up the QB with 50 plus passes. It's the mix of play calls, effective down hill running and some nice crisp OL play on run blocking that has finally given the beleaguered Eagles QB some time. YES, Foles is playing in a different offense than Mike Vick. YES. the OL is playing better & better. The secret ingredient is rushing the football ...with Bryce Brown

#23 phillyphanwest

phillyphanwest

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,174 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:05 PM

Wood, I expect MM to resume "business as usual" in this game. Bucs pass D is poor (until they play us) and with MM declaring that Foles is no longer a rookie (I double checked the definition-turns out he is still a rook) he'll return to his pass happy ways. Brown will get the ball a few times but not like we've seen the past two games. I would like to be wrong about this.

#24 hedge8727

hedge8727

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts
  • Fan Since:1961

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:13 PM

I have no problem with the eagles losing the remaining 4 games. As long as Foles continues to improve and the rookies get valuable playing time, that will improve the team next year. Ask Colts fans now if they mind having the worst record in the league last year.

#25 BleedingGreen93

BleedingGreen93

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 10,258 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:14 PM

I wouldn't mind having the worst record in the league if there was a QB like Andrew Luck waiting for me with the top pick.... but sadly there is no such player i want to see Foles get some Wins under his belt

#26 jwood5151

jwood5151

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,392 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:16 PM

>>PPW: the right decision is to feed Bryce Brown 20 carries and sprinkle in a few for Stanley Havili and Dion Lewis. PLAY ACTION is the tactic. This tactic cannot be effectively employed unless the defense actually respects the run. Shady shuffling laterally is a far cry from Bryce Brown's slashing runs. If MM reverts to his old, familiar pattern of 50 passes a game, we can expect a turnstile performance from an OL which is gaining confidence blocking for Bryce.

A bigger issue is the amazing stats the rival QB attain playing the Birds secondary. Maybe Brsher unleashes some sacks up front--otherwise--it's will play action with the Muscle Hamster and plenty of completions against a poor secondary.

It really starts with MM dictating the game and managing the clock--and MAKING THE GROUND GAME WORK--regardless of the stats. Give up the clock--and MM exposes the very soft underbelly of the defense.

#27 BleedingGreen93

BleedingGreen93

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 10,258 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:19 PM

We have 4 more games sitting here and keep asking MM to change seems pointless he hasn't changed since he became the Eagles OC y is he going to change now in the last 4games.....Lets just hope for the best for these last 4games and at the end of the season the AR and staff should be gone then we will have to trust Lurie and Howie to hire a good new HC

#28 jwood5151

jwood5151

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,392 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:21 PM

>>Hedge: I want to see rookies and kids playing hard fought football. These COACHES and veteran players are the real losers!! I don't care about record in 2012.

When it comes down to draft and off season: Roseman, Donahoe and Reid better be GONE GONE GONE GONE GONE GONE. Arrogant, pathetic, incompetent. good riddance.

BG93: Howie needs to GO. Take that ex-Pittsburgh clown Tom Donahoe,too. GARBAGE IN -GARBAGE OUT.

#29 BleedingGreen93

BleedingGreen93

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 10,258 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:23 PM

Jwood...u r probably right Howie does need to go or atleast be demoted and get a new GM but i just don't think Lurie is going to do it.....

Jwood....Lurie also should have never let AR win the power struggle between him and Banner but we see what happed there Banner is new Cleveland

#30 jwood5151

jwood5151

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,392 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:23 PM

>>BG93: I want to see Bryce Brown and the OL ripping the Buccaneer defense today.