Photo
- - - - -

The many catches of Avant

marcus hayes daily news

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 herbicide

herbicide

EMB Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,561 posts
  • Team:Eagles
  • Fan Since:1960

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:39 AM

Hayes

The many catches of Avant

MARCUS HAYES, Daily News Staff Writer hayesm@phillynews.com

Posted: Monday, December 10, 2012, 12:56 AM

TAMPA - First, there was the one-handed, backward, sideline snatch for 20 yards that set up the the Eagles' field goal midway through the second quarter.

Second, there was the 39-yard balletic expression that set up the Eagles' first touchdown later in the same quarter.

Finally, there was the 22-yarder down the middle on fourth-and-5. That will be the one of the seven catches Jason Avant is remembered for in Sunday's 23-21 win.

The play began at the Bucs' 23, the Eagles trailing by five. The Birds needed yards, but they had just 16 seconds.

It took 6 for Avant to cross the middle of the field. He caught the ball, and, to him, more important, he held on to it.

He knew he hadn't scored. He knew only 10 seconds remained. He knew that if he allowed Buccaneers safety Mark Barron to strip him, even after the whistle blew, the game was over.

"We had to get everybody up to the line and spike it," Avant said. "I didn't even want to put it on the ground. One of those defenders 'accidentally' kicks it, and the game is over."

Avant tossed it to the nearest official, got lined up and watched Nick Foles spike it with 2 seconds left.

"Heady," said coach Andy Reid of Avant's goal-line execution.

The next play was for Jeremy Maclin. Avant was fine with that.

He had those seven catches, a career high; 133 yards; and, 2 seconds later, a win.

MARCUS HAYES Daily News Staff Writer hayesm@phillynews.com

#2 Shore_Eagle_Fan

Shore_Eagle_Fan

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:16 PM

I love Avant. He opitimizes the lunch pail type player that Philly fans idolize. He plays hard and does the best he can with limited talent. He is also a religious guy who tries to live his life as a respectful example for others.

He probably won't be here next year and that is a bummer. He is older, average, and highy paid. That is three strikes against him.

Overall i am glad he was an Eagle. I'm sure most fans are very happy he had a day to shine and have a career high performance.

Great Christmas present for a guy who will certainly appreciate at this time of year.

#3 The Eagles win!

The Eagles win!

EMB Fossil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 69,105 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:36 PM

Good role player. Truthfully, I think we need a more dynamic guy as the #3 WR, but Avant has a role on a championship caliber team.

#4 downundermike

downundermike

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,644 posts
  • Fan Since:1988

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:38 PM

He probably won't be here next year and that is a bummer. He is older, average, and highy paid. That is three strikes against him.

I don't see a scenario where he would not be an Eagle next year.

#5 Shore_Eagle_Fan

Shore_Eagle_Fan

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:06 PM

I don't see a scenario where he would not be an Eagle next year.

Will see.

I certainly wouldn't be upset if he was here but i think the eagles will try to upgrade.

#6 downundermike

downundermike

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,644 posts
  • Fan Since:1988

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:07 PM

Will see.

I certainly wouldn't be upset if he was here. But i think they will try to upgrade.

Here is how I upgrade.

Maclin gone

Bowe#1 Jackson#2 Cooper/Avant#3