Photo
- - - - -

Eagles' quandary: What to do about underachieving starting c

paul domowitch daily news

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 herbicide

herbicide

EMB Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,339 posts
  • Team:Eagles
  • Fan Since:1960

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:13 AM

Domowitch

Eagles' quandary: What to do about underachieving starting cornerbacks?

Paul Domowitch, Daily News NFL Columnist
Posted: Wednesday, December 12, 2012, 1:28 AM

THE BIGGEST decision facing the Eagles after the season - besides the obvious one of determining the identity of their next head coach - is figuring out who will be their starting quarterback in 2013.

I think we can safely rule out Michael Vick, who is expected to be handed a $3 million check (the remaining guaranteed money on his contract) and sent on his merry way.

That leaves rookie Nick Foles or somebody who doesn't currently reside at One NovaCare Way.

The second-biggest decision is what to do about their two underachieving Pro Bowl cornerbacks, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and Nnamdi Asomugha.

Rodgers-Cromartie, 26, will be an unrestricted free agent after the season. Asomugha, 31, who is in the second year of the 5-year, $60 million deal he signed last summer, is scheduled to earn $15.3 million next season.

When they acquired Rodgers-Cromartie from Arizona in the Kevin Kolb deal last year, it seemed a given that the Eagles eventually would re-sign the talented 6-2, 182-pound cornerback, regardless of the cost. But after 2 years of occasionally good but mostly inconsistent play, it's a given no longer.

When they signed Asomugha, they thought they were getting one of the two or three best shutdown corners in the league. When he struggled last year, it was blamed on the way Juan Castillo was using him. Too much zone, not enough man-to-man. But he and Rodgers-Cromartie both have been used largely as press corners this season and the 6-2, 210-pound Asomugha is playing even worse than he did last year.

ProFootballFocus, a respected website that breaks down every play of every game, has Rodgers-Cromartie rated 171st and Asomugha 190th among the league's cornerbacks. Asomugha is giving up 16.1 yards per completion, Rodgers-Cromartie 15.2.

Last week, after their poor play and lackadaisical effort in the 38-33 loss to the Cowboys, Andy Reid called Rodgers-Cromartie and Asomugha into his office and read them the riot act.

During Sunday's broadcast of the Eagles-Bucs game, Fox analyst John Lynch said Reid told both of them they were on "thin ice. He didn't like their play. He didn't like their effort of late. Neither have I."

Lynch, a nine-time Pro Bowl safety, proceeded to eviscerate the two corners for the way they played against the Cowboys, particularly their reluctance to tackle wide receiver Miles Austin on his 27-yard touchdown catch-and-run.

"Listen, you're going to break coverages in this league,'' Lynch said. "It's going to happen. But lack of effort, that bothers me. It's disrespectful to your coach, to your teammates and to the game.''

As Fox ran the replay of the Austin touchdown, he added, "That's a shame. Rodgers-Cromartie and Nnamdi Asomugha, that's a shame. They've got an opportunity to tackle Miles Austin at the 6-yard line, and they don't even try. It's disrespectful to the game of football. I don't like it. You can't have it.''

Neither Rodgers-Cromartie nor Asomugha was in the locker room Tuesday during media availability to respond to Lynch's comments. Reid acknowledged to the Daily News that he spoke with both players about their play and effort after the loss to the Cowboys.

"I have a lot of respect for both of those guys," he said. "But there's a time and place where you have to pick it up and do better. I thought they did that this week [against the Bucs].

"I'm always going to be honest with the guys. I'm going to tell them when they're doing good and I'm going to tell them when they need to pick it up. And make sure we're teaching them the right things to do. That was basically what our talk was.''

Rodgers-Cromartie had an outstanding game against the Bucs. Maybe his best game of the year.

He made his presence felt right out of the gate, breaking up a pass for wide receiver Vincent Jackson and showing uncharacteristic aggressiveness in coming up to defend a short pass to Mike Williams.

Early in the second quarter, on a second-and-26, he made a nice play to break up a deep pass down the middle to Williams. It was the kind of play the Eagles envisioned him making when they traded for him: utilizing his tremendous catch-up speed, wing span and leaping ability to take away the deep ball from opponents.

Later in the second quarter, he again went out of character, putting a big lick on tight end Dallas Clark on a 19-yard completion. On the same possession, he made a nice tackle on rookie running back Doug Martin.

In the third quarter, he had excellent coverage on Jackson on another deep ball, forcing an incompletion. In the fourth quarter, he broke up a pass to tight end Luke Stocker.

Asomugha played hard Sunday, just not very well. He injured his neck when he got undercut by Clark on an incompletion early in the second quarter. He returned to the game in the second half, but struggled. Williams boxed him out in the end zone on his 1-yard touchdown catch. Later in the third quarter, Asomugha gave up a 40-yard completion to Jackson. Also gave up a 28-yard completion to Jackson on a third-and-7 play on the Bucs' final touchdown drive.

So, the Eagles have to decide what they're going to do with these two guys. Asomugha, who will turn 32 before the start of training camp next summer, clearly is on the downside of his career and isn't a $15 million cornerback.

It's easy to say show them both the door, but then what? Good corners aren't easy to find. Maybe 2011 third-rounder Curtis Marsh will blossom into a player. Maybe not. So far, maybe not is winning.

You could move 5-9 rookie Brandon Boykin outside. But do you really want him going up against all of the 6-2 and 6-3 pass-catching trees in the league?

I suspect the Eagles will approach Asomugha about restructuring his deal. I think Asomugha will be willing to take a paycut. But how much of one? Judging by his play, I'm not sure I'd be willing to give him more than $6 million next year. Just $4 million of the remaining money on his deal is guaranteed, so releasing him wouldn't be too painful.

Rodgers-Cromartie has a lot of talent. Maybe as much as any corner in the league. But the kid's a flake who often seems more into his pink wardrobe than playing football.

He made the Pro Bowl with the Cardinals 3 years ago in just his second season in the league, intercepting six passes. But he hasn't played anywhere close to that level on a consistent basis since.

Should the Eagles overpay him, bring him back and hope the next head coach and defensive coordinator can figure out the secret to lighting a fire under him? Easy for us to say. It's not our money.

Email: pdomo@aol.com

On Twitter: @Pdomo

Blog: eagletarian.com

Posted ImagePaul Domowitch Daily News NFL Columnist Twitter | Email

#2 birdman#12

birdman#12

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,715 posts
  • Fan Since:1968

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:50 AM

Can someone explain to me how a league with about 160 corners can have the eagles corners ranked 171 and 190? Am I missing something or just hung over?

#3 time2rock

time2rock

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 37,157 posts
  • Fan Since:Dad (RIP)

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:49 AM

This really is a hard decision, because I too think we need to keep one of the current starters. If DRC had more games under his belt like the TB game, I'd be a no brainer. But he is just way too inconsistent, and gives < 100% effort too much of the time.

Even if Nnamdi agrees to restructure, I still might consider giving that money to DRC, depending on what he is looking for.

#4 vox populi

vox populi

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,139 posts
  • Fan Since:1970

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:14 AM

The key here is nnamdi is playing hard. He's just not very good anymore. I don't think he's worth vet minimum, let alone 4 million dollars. DRC has ability. His issues are mental, not physical. Nnamdi's issues are physical (as in severely diminished ability), not mental.

I'd keep DRC, and write Nnamdi off in the same way they wrote off Kearse a few years ago. Structure DRC's contract so you can get out of it after two years if he doesn't show consistency.

#5 GT500

GT500

Superstar

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,909 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:14 AM

it aint a hard decision, cut both they thug sorry butts

#6 billfrancis

billfrancis

Practice Squad

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:28 AM

Easy ....DRC stays put 3 other talented player's back there with him.......Nate Allen Mr. Loafer himself gone, cover's grass most plays..Asomugha gone ,money, play never lived up to the hype.....need a CB... Boykin , DRC,and Marsh show promise!

Like Anderson and Coleman not lack of effort ever there....for starter's .....

This is gonna be DC's call you would think, surprised Bowls not yanking whole secondary in his office there for a ear whipping......
AR gotta do that???

Have stated over and over need a CB, and 2 Safeties....keep DRC,Boykin,Marsh add one CB not on roster, need 3 excellent CB starter's at least 5 on roster!

Then add 2 Safeties not on current Roster to go with Colt Anderson and Kurt Coleman....how are the 2 in Jets camp doing just out of curiosity? 4 hard hitting safeties in camp and on roster. So you can swap'em in & out of the line up as the player's safeties need to heal up all threw out 16 game long season, if the position is played right!!! Use safeties right, slamming in to opposing player's and drilling'em every chance you get...do it that way and CB coverage a Hell of a lot easier as game gets in 2 second half!!!!

With all the Concussions on the Eagles team would have thought any half-a** DC would have figured this **** out by now!!!!!!!!!!

If the Safety position is played right!!! The 2 on the Jets to go with Colt Anderson, and Kurt Coleman would of been sweet, and all 4 Special team player's!! Right there so close we 2 busy dropping 80 billion one 1 CB? Good Grief!

Still wish tandem Colt Anderson & Kurt Coleman together ( so you have half the safety puzzle on roster) could be on the field together given the chance, Eagle_smiley.jpg sure one has to change roles, hell try it both ways, cross train'em, effort or intensity would not be an issue, nor drilling any player with a ball or near one!!!

Hell can here it Now, but no problem with 19 DE's on roster???

....with Nate Allen on bench planting grass seeds for last 3 games........ :roll:........ who's in charge of Defensive Brain trust for us?

#7 Markyc9876

Markyc9876

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts
  • Fan Since:1981

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:13 PM

The key here is nnamdi is playing hard. He's just not very good anymore. I don't think he's worth vet minimum, let alone 4 million dollars.

Pretty good assessment. It's not like he's not trying, he just can't. As far as him not being very good "anymore," maybe he was never very good to begin with....

DRC has ability. His issues are mental, not physical.

Yeah, sometimes it seems like he Doesn't Really Care.....

#8 PrinceKelby

PrinceKelby

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 19,934 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:40 PM

it aint a hard decision, cut both they thug sorry butts

Aso is a thug now????

:roll: