Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

NFL looks to expand playoffs to 14 or 16 teams

nfl playoffs playoff expansion nbc abc cbs

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
61 replies to this topic

Poll: Expanding the playoffs (42 member(s) have cast votes)

Should the NFL expand the playoffs, and if so, to how many teams overall?

1. Keep it as it is (12 teams, six per conference) (38 votes [90.48%])

Percentage of vote: 90.48%

2. Expand to 14 teams (seven per conference) (4 votes [9.52%])

Percentage of vote: 9.52%

3. Expand to 16 teams (eight per conference) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Wallyhorse

Wallyhorse

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,915 posts
  • Team:Eagles
  • Fan Since:1986

Posted 13 December 2012 - 06:20 AM

As noted in USA TODAY:

The NFL is looking at expanding the playoffs from the current 12 teams (six per conference) to 14 or 16 teams (seven or eight per conference). I've in the past posted here that I would look at going to seven teams per conference (14 teams total) as part of a change to where playoff seeding is decided SOLELY by record, except where a division champion gets preference over a wild card for seeding if the teams have the same record. This would have it where the two best teams in the conference would be the #1 and #2 seeds and prevent any possibility of such meeting before the conference championship game.

Seven per conference makes the most sense because then only the best team in each conference gets a first-round bye. It also makes for playoff tripleheaders on both Saturday and Sunday, with Disney likely getting a Saturday afternoon playoff doubleheader on ABC (it would air on ABC rather than ESPN to keep certain elected officials who'd otherwise scream about playoff games not being on free TV happy) while CBS/FOX keep their current Sunday afternoon games and NBC gets prime time games on both Saturday and Sunday night the first weekend of the playoffs. If such were in effect this season, here's how the seeds and matchups would break down and where they would likely air in that scenario (games for each conference are listed in order they would likely air):

AFC:

Bye: #1 Texans

#7 Bengals at #2 Patriots, Saturday at 1:00 PM on ABC
#5 Colts at #4 Ravens, Sunday at 1:00 PM ET on CBS
#6 Steelers at #3 Broncos, Sunday at 8:50 PM ET on NBC

NFC:

Bye: #1 Falcons

#7 Redskins at #2 49ers, Saturday at 4:30 PM ET on ABC
#6 Bears at #3 Packers, Saturday at 8:50 PM ET on NBC
#5 Seahawks at #4 Giants, Sunday at 4:30 PM ET on FOX

#2 TenOfSwords

TenOfSwords

EMB Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,770 posts
  • Fan Since:1971

Posted 13 December 2012 - 06:40 AM

14 SI - 16 NO!

With 14 teams, the difference between a 2 seed and a 3 seed would no longer be greater than the difference between a 1 seed and a 2 seed - as is the case now because the 1 and 2 seeds get both a first-round bye and home field in the divisional playoffs, while a 3 seed gets neither.

Furthermore, with 14 teams it becomes possible for a wild card team to host a divisional playoff game - which would occur if the 2 (which would no longer get a bye), 3 and 4 seeds in the same conference all got upset in the first round.

But I would recommend that, if they do go to 14 teams, division finish be made the first tie-breaker for wild cards; i.e., if two teams finish with the same record and one team finished second in their division while the other finished third in theirs, the second-place team gets in. This would make it essentially impossible for a last-place team to make the playoffs (i.e., all three wild cards in one conference coming from the same division) - which would be a bridge too far.

#3 Dawkins 20

Dawkins 20

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 21,160 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:02 AM

Don't touch it at all.

The great thing about the NFL playoffs is that every Tom, D and Harry doesn't make it, yet at the same time there are still enough teams to make it interesting. The NBA and NHL playoffs are a joke because half of the teams in the league make it. Does anyone really want the NFL to go down the same road?

Stop fixing what isn't broke.

#4 Bdawk330

Bdawk330

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,139 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:35 AM

Expand it to 32 so the Eagles can get in

#5 EagleJoe8

EagleJoe8

EMB Fossil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 80,167 posts
  • Fan Since:1992

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:16 AM

Don't touch it at all.

The great thing about the NFL playoffs is that every Tom, D and Harry doesn't make it, yet at the same time there are still enough teams to make it interesting. The NBA and NHL playoffs are a joke because half of the teams in the league make it. Does anyone really want the NFL to go down the same road?

Agreed.

#6 Eagles3785

Eagles3785

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • Fan Since:1991

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:41 AM

Don't touch it at all.

Disagree

I have a problem when an 11 win team has a better record than 4 play off teams (see 2008 Patriots) ...It works out numbers wise BUT 4 divisions with just 4 teams allows for a team to win a weak division at 8-8 while teams with better records are left out

I like the 7 team idea per conference, but the only problem is the NFL is looking to get rid of pre season games, and a 14 team post season doesn't really eliminate pre season games

#7 CMPunk

CMPunk

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,875 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:19 PM

Goodell is killing the NFL

#8 Dawkins 20

Dawkins 20

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 21,160 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:29 PM

Disagree

I have a problem when an 11 win team has a better record than 4 play off teams (see 2008 Patriots) ...It works out numbers wise BUT 4 divisions with just 4 teams allows for a team to win a weak division at 8-8 while teams with better records are left out

I like the 7 team idea per conference, but the only problem is the NFL is looking to get rid of pre season games, and a 14 team post season doesn't really eliminate pre season games

Since the league switched to a 16 game schedule, an 11-5 team has only missed the playoffs twice (the 2008 Patriots being one of them).

I don't have much sympathy for teams that miss the playoffs with a better record than a division winner from another division. If you don't like it, then win your division. The 2008 Pats screwed themselves by losing at home to Miami. Win that game and they make the playoffs.

#9 metalhead0043

metalhead0043

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,437 posts
  • Fan Since:92

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:45 PM

Leave. It. Alone.

#10 Don Corleone

Don Corleone

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,475 posts
  • Fan Since:1987

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:01 PM

This is just as bad as wanting to eliminate kick offs. Why mess with perfection?

#11 Froggy

Froggy

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,951 posts
  • Team:Patriots

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:15 PM

Half the league in the playoffs!! :roll: :roll:

#12 Eagles3785

Eagles3785

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • Fan Since:1991

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:25 PM

Since the league switched to a 16 game schedule, an 11-5 team has only missed the playoffs twice (the 2008 Patriots being one of them).

I don't have much sympathy for teams that miss the playoffs with a better record than a division winner from another division. If you don't like it, then win your division. The 2008 Pats screwed themselves by losing at home to Miami. Win that game and they make the playoffs.

what happens when your in a division with the Packers or Patriots when they go 16-0 or 15-1...you're supposed to be better then them and "win your division"???

#13 NorCalEagle

NorCalEagle

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 15,340 posts
  • Fan Since:Today

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:27 PM

the nfl is going to be unwatchable in a few years...

hell...it's borderline uninteresting as it is now...

#14 JustAnotherEaglesFan

JustAnotherEaglesFan

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts
  • Fan Since:yesterday

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:43 PM

Ill take 14. Especially since our division is one of the toughest in the league. I could actually see 3 teams from our division make it eventually. And id take 2 more regular season games over preseason games any day. I hope this happens soon.

#15 VaBeach_Eagle

VaBeach_Eagle

EMB Fossil

• Members
  • 54,617 posts
  • Fan Since:1976

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:46 PM

They need to reduce it back to what it was before they expanded it the last time.

#16 EagleJoe8

EagleJoe8

EMB Fossil

• Members
  • 80,167 posts
  • Fan Since:1992

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:30 PM

Personally, I'd leave the postseason as is. IF I were to make a change, I'd have the 6 best records in each conference go in regardless if a team wins a division or not.

#17 VaBeach_Eagle

VaBeach_Eagle

EMB Fossil

• Members
  • 54,617 posts
  • Fan Since:1976

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:39 PM

I can just imagine a 6-10 team in the playoffs...

#18 GA4M

GA4M

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,293 posts
  • Team:Giants

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:40 PM

Dumb thread.

#19 Dawkins 20

Dawkins 20

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 21,160 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:44 PM

what happens when your in a division with the Packers or Patriots when they go 16-0 or 15-1...you're supposed to be better then them and "win your division"???

Once again, it rarely ever happens.

There's only been 6 teams that have ever won 15 or more regular season games in a single season.

I understand that the examples you have given do happen, but it happens so infrequently that it's not worth changing the playoffs over. If this was a problem that kept popping up year after year then I would agree 100%, but it really isn't much of an issue.

#20 mike030270

mike030270

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,697 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 05:12 PM

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

#21 CMPunk

CMPunk

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,875 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 05:24 PM

Fix it so the Eagles can make it in. Or fix it so the Giants can't get in. Either is good for me.

#22 700level4life

700level4life

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,780 posts
  • Fan Since:tommorow

Posted 13 December 2012 - 05:29 PM

I just want the NFL to seed the playoffs properly. The fact that Seattle made the playoffs one year going 7-9, while 2 teams, the Bucs and Giants win 10 games and dont make it, is just wrong. And they host a playoff game against New Orleans who won 11 games. Just seed it right, division or not.

#23 NCTANK

NCTANK

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,794 posts
  • Fan Since:1978

Posted 13 December 2012 - 06:39 PM

i voted to leave it the same. right now, it's tough to get in, and deservedly so. why do they think they need to water down the current system?

mo money.

I just want the NFL to seed the playoffs properly. The fact that Seattle made the playoffs one year going 7-9, while 2 teams, the Bucs and Giants win 10 games and dont make it, is just wrong. And they host a playoff game against New Orleans who won 11 games. Just seed it right, division or not.

we sat and watched Seattle crush the Saints. makes you wonder.

#24 700level4life

700level4life

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,780 posts
  • Fan Since:tommorow

Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:33 PM

I know they crushed the Saints, but they got rewarded for a losing season, whereas teams with winning records got shafted. Its not right.

#25 TenOfSwords

TenOfSwords

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 10,770 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:35 AM

But if a team that doesn't win their division doesn't get a home playoff game, then why should a team that doesn't win their conference get a first-round bye?

And with 14 teams, they wouldn't - plus if the 2, 3 and 4 seeds all got upset in the first round, a wild card team would get a home game in the divisional playoffs - and it would be bound to happen sooner or later.

#26 Happyfoosball

Happyfoosball

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 11,999 posts
  • Team:Giants

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:09 AM

With the playoffs being one and done I absolutely think they should leave things alone. You let every team in and you are destroying the entire purpose for the regular season. You're also then opening the door for a crappy team to win the super bowl. You think 9-7 was bad for a super bowl winner? Sooner or later you will have a 7-9 or a 6-10.

#27 TenOfSwords

TenOfSwords

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 10,770 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:32 AM

There's no way you'd get a 7-9 playoff team as a wild card; the only way it would happen is the way it actually did happen - two years ago, with a division winner (Seattle).

And 14 out of 32 teams making the playoffs comes out to 43.75%. From 1990 through 1994, 12 out of 28 teams, or 42.86%, made the playoffs.

Not much of a difference - and did the sky fall at any time between '90 and '94?

Ideally, though, they should wait until adding two more expansion teams - 14 out of 34 being 41.18%.

And increasing the number of teams in the playoffs, and the number of teams in the league, and the number of games in the regular season, are all interwoven, as this article lays out:

http://bleacherrepor...or-pro-football

#28 pdmkob

pdmkob

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:13 AM

keep it the way it is.

It seems that playoff teams are actually getting worse over the past decade

in 04' it was a race for who was trying to lose the NFCN between minny and green bay. a few years back san diego backed in at 8-8 - same with the rams/seahawks over the past few years(i think they played for the division at 7-9)

in 08' the 9-6-1 Eagles played the 9-7 Cardinals in the NFCCG

The Giants have been backing into the playoffs for most of the Coughlin/Eli era and then winning the Superbowl mostly off of missed field goals and lucky bounces.

Teams like the 11-5 Matt Cassell Pats, the Josh Freeman 10-6 Bucs and the Derrik Andersen 10-6 Browns all benefitted from the leagues easiest schedules those years and didnt really need to be in the playoffs anyway

#29 dawkins4prez

dawkins4prez

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 16,188 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:20 AM

Goodell is killing the NFL

Crazy as it will sound to people who have no sense of history, but the NFL will no longer be the # 1 sports league in America by the time Goodell's 10 yr extension is up.

I knew from day 1, Goodell would ruin the league I had no idea he would do it so quickly.

#30 Wallyhorse

Wallyhorse

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,915 posts
  • Fan Since:1986

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:50 AM

14 SI - 16 NO!

With 14 teams, the difference between a 2 seed and a 3 seed would no longer be greater than the difference between a 1 seed and a 2 seed - as is the case now because the 1 and 2 seeds get both a first-round bye and home field in the divisional playoffs, while a 3 seed gets neither.

Furthermore, with 14 teams it becomes possible for a wild card team to host a divisional playoff game - which would occur if the 2 (which would no longer get a bye), 3 and 4 seeds in the same conference all got upset in the first round.

But I would recommend that, if they do go to 14 teams, division finish be made the first tie-breaker for wild cards; i.e., if two teams finish with the same record and one team finished second in their division while the other finished third in theirs, the second-place team gets in. This would make it essentially impossible for a last-place team to make the playoffs (i.e., all three wild cards in one conference coming from the same division) - which would be a bridge too far.

As noted, the way I would do it would be to do two things as only the 1 seed would get a bye: Assure the two best teams in a conference don't meet before the conference title game and if it just so happens they are in the same division, the second best team gets to host a first round game (and likewise, if the three best teams in a conference all reside in one division, the third place team also gets to host while teams that fattened up on weak divisions have to play on the road). You could even get a scenario where say the NFC East was so dominant that the division winner went 15-1 and everyone else went unbeaten outside the division (10-0 in each case) where all four NFC East teams in that scenario would be in line to host at least one playoff game and potentially turn the rest of the conference playoffs into the NFC East tournament (not likely to happen, but....).