- - - - -

2013 NFL Coaching Carousel

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
22 replies to this topic

#1 WR_please

WR_please

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,357 posts
  • Team:Eagles

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:59 PM

Most likely job openings in 2013:  Philadelphia, San Diego, Arizona, Kansas City, Carolina
Maybe, 50% chance:  Tennessee, Dallas, Jacksonville, Cleveland
Maybe, but probably won't happen:  New Orleans, Oakland

And then there are the three classes of candidates:  the re-treads, the asst./college coaches, and the wild cards.

Top re-treads:  Andy Reid, Jon Gruden, Ken Whisenhunt
Top new blood:  Chip Kelly, David Shaw, Gus Bradley, Ray Horton, Bruce Arians, Mike McCoy, Mike Zimmer
Wild cards:  Nick Saban, Mike Holmgren, Bill Cowher, Sean Payton

So who's going where?  Which team will be that team that makes the ridulous hire in the way of Chan Gailey or Mike Mularkey?

#2 Innocence096

Innocence096

EMB Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,843 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:43 AM

so why isnt Cowher a retread? I think Payton stays in nawlins though.

#3 bumpy93

bumpy93

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 15,817 posts
  • Fan Since:1993

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:40 AM

I think if Andy Reid is fired this season I think its almost a lock that he is the HC of the Chargers next season IMO

#4 WR_please

WR_please

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,357 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:34 PM

View PostInnocence096, on 14 December 2012 - 02:43 AM, said:

so why isnt Cowher a retread? I think Payton stays in nawlins though.

I didn't list any of the guys in that section as retreads because they're probably not going to coach next year, at least not on a new team.

#5 Innocence096

Innocence096

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 27,843 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:02 PM

View PostWR_please, on 14 December 2012 - 02:34 PM, said:

I didn't list any of the guys in that section as retreads because they're probably not going to coach next year, at least not on a new team.
gotchya. And I think Reid goes to San Diego or he sits the year out

#6 20dawk20

20dawk20

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:26 PM

How successful does everyone thing will Saban be in his second go round, or Kelly in a transition to the NFL?

If I'm looking to hire a guy to make the jump from the collegiate ranks, I don't want a guy who had success with superior talent (Saban) or gimmicks (Kelly). Any guy I'd target would preferably be hard-nosed. Two guys come to mind: David Shaw and another guy whose name I haven't heard mentioned would be Gary Patterson from TCU (although It'd be nice to see more success coaching in a big time conference first).

#7 WR_please

WR_please

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,357 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:12 AM

View Post20dawk20, on 15 December 2012 - 10:26 PM, said:

How successful does everyone thing will Saban be in his second go round, or Kelly in a transition to the NFL?

If I'm looking to hire a guy to make the jump from the collegiate ranks, I don't want a guy who had success with superior talent (Saban) or gimmicks (Kelly). Any guy I'd target would preferably be hard-nosed. Two guys come to mind: David Shaw and another guy whose name I haven't heard mentioned would be Gary Patterson from TCU (although It'd be nice to see more success coaching in a big time conference first).

The thing with Saban is that he had to deal with the Dolphins FO when he was there.  They're horrible.  Most coaches with the option to go to Alabama would've chosen them over the Dolphins at the time.  He's hard-nosed and experienced.  His age isn't as big of a concern as people are saying.  Look at Tom Coughlin.  Parcells was about the same age when he came out of retirement to coach the Cowboys.  The only downside to Saban is that he's completely spineless.

I'm interested in Kevin Sumlin of Texas A&M.  Took that team into the SEC with low expectations after losing a top-10 talent at QB and they're one of the best teams in the country.  Two-time C-USA coach of the year and a well-rouned resume (co-OC at Oklahoma, played LB at Purdue, coached QB, WR, and TE, and he even coached ST) seals the deal for me, at least on him as a legit candidate.  It doesn't hurt that D. Moore, Joeckel, and J. Matthews, 3 potential top-10 picks, one of which could be an Eagle.

#8 AllPhillyFan

AllPhillyFan

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 21,502 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 03:52 AM

There's no way Saban leaves Alabama.  He has that job for essentially life now, and Alabama will pay him more than any NFL team would (how crazy is that?)

#9 20dawk20

20dawk20

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:57 PM

View PostWR_please, on 16 December 2012 - 02:12 AM, said:

I'm interested in Kevin Sumlin of Texas A&M.  Took that team into the SEC with low expectations after losing a top-10 talent at QB and they're one of the best teams in the country.

I like his style, but lose a first rounder, gain a Heisman winner - I'd make that trade.

View PostAllPhillyFan, on 16 December 2012 - 03:52 AM, said:

There's no way Saban leaves Alabama.  He has that job for essentially life now, and Alabama will pay him more than any NFL team would (how crazy is that?)

There's something to be said about being challenged at your job; how many times can you win the NC at Bama? I think Saban knows he will go down as one of the greatest college coaches regardless, but will be considered a failure by many at the pro level unless he gives it another shot. Even if he doesn't succeed in the NFL, there will always be another premier university that will hire him in a heartbeat.

#10 skippyx

skippyx

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,257 posts
  • Fan Since:1978

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:05 PM

No one in the NFL wants Saban. He was a complete failure.
He went 15-17 in 2 years and set the Dolphins up for 1-15 the following season.

That's not exactly a Jimmy Johnson college to pro transition.

#11 rocketman44

rocketman44

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,278 posts
  • Team:49ers
  • Fan Since:1967

Posted 24 December 2012 - 11:58 AM

View PostWR_please, on 13 December 2012 - 11:59 PM, said:

Most likely job openings in 2013:  Philadelphia, San Diego, Arizona, Kansas City, Carolina
Maybe, 50% chance:  Tennessee, Dallas, Jacksonville, Cleveland
Maybe, but probably won't happen:  New Orleans, Oakland

And then there are the three classes of candidates:  the re-treads, the asst./college coaches, and the wild cards.

Top re-treads:  Andy Reid, Jon Gruden, Ken Whisenhunt
Top new blood:  Chip Kelly, David Shaw, Gus Bradley, Ray Horton, Bruce Arians, Mike McCoy, Mike Zimmer
Wild cards:  Nick Saban, Mike Holmgren, Bill Cowher, Sean Payton

So who's going where?  Which team will be that team that makes the ridulous hire in the way of Chan Gailey or Mike Mularkey?

Hopefully front offices league-wide will finally realize that Mularky, Gailey, and Norv Turner are not head coach material. While neither Mularky or Gailey are in good situations team-wise, I still can't see them being offered yet another opportunity.

Turner, meanwhile, was hired into a great situation and bears responsibility for how it has deteriorated.

Reid probably has the best prospect of landing a new job (San Diego) before the dust settles once the Eagles part ways with him, which, according to Sal Pal yesterday will happen almost as soon as the season is over.

I have not heard Whisenhunt's name during hot-seat discussions. But I suppose he'd be a top retread prospect as long as a team has a quarterback in place.

Of course, with the game being what it is today, any incoming coach would either want a solid QB situation in place or the possibility of drafting one from the get-go.

#12 AceofSpades

AceofSpades

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 28,627 posts
  • Fan Since:1986

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:41 PM

Chan Gailey & Mike Mularkey are both expected to be shown the door. I never thought either was necessarily a good fit with their respective teams. Mularkey did nothing to earn another head coaching job and I always thought Gailey was a weird fit in the AFC East.

#13 AceofSpades

AceofSpades

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 28,627 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:12 AM

Just to recap, these are the jobs that are likely to be available heading into the offseason...

Eagles
Bills
Browns
Chiefs
Jaguars
Bears (pending postseason outcome)
Chargers
Cardinals
Panthers
Titans

#14 The_Talon

The_Talon

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 29,836 posts
  • Fan Since:1978?

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:15 AM

View PostAceofSpades, on 28 December 2012 - 12:12 AM, said:

Just to recap, these are the jobs that are likely to be available heading into the offseason...

Eagles
Bills
Browns
Chiefs
Jaguars
Chargers
Cardinals
Panthers
Titans

you should add to that the Lions. There's been talk of Schwartz being on the hot seat there as well.

Also, a lot of people talk about Reid to San Diego, but don't be surprised if both parties try to re-kindle the past in Cleveland. Remember that a lot of people involved in the earlier success of the Reid-era Eagles are in Cleveland right now.

#15 MCoster

MCoster

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,295 posts
  • Fan Since:birth

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:41 AM

Eagles
Bills
Browns
Chiefs
Jaguars
Chargers
Cardinals
Panthers
Titans

Looks right plus possible Raiders and lions at like 50% and Rex probably has a 25% chance in ny.  Schiano kinda collapsed but he's probably safe. Basically if ur in the top 12 of the draft plus bears ur screwed

#16 Pegger

Pegger

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 11,182 posts
  • Fan Since:1988

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:46 PM

Eagles
Bills
Browns
Chiefs
Jaguars
Chargers
Cardinals
Panthers
Titans
That's 10 fo 32 teams. Man, that's a pretty high number if you ask me.

#17 Innocence096

Innocence096

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 27,843 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:29 PM

View PostThe_Talon, on 28 December 2012 - 11:15 AM, said:

you should add to that the Lions. There's been talk of Schwartz being on the hot seat there as well.

Also, a lot of people talk about Reid to San Diego, but don't be surprised if both parties try to re-kindle the past in Cleveland. Remember that a lot of people involved in the earlier success of the Reid-era Eagles are in Cleveland right now.
you think Reid will want to work with banner again?

#18 bumpy93

bumpy93

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 15,817 posts
  • Fan Since:1993

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:42 PM

View PostWR_please, on 16 December 2012 - 02:12 AM, said:

The thing with Saban is that he had to deal with the Dolphins FO when he was there.  They're horrible.  Most coaches with the option to go to Alabama would've chosen them over the Dolphins at the time.  He's hard-nosed and experienced.  His age isn't as big of a concern as people are saying.  Look at Tom Coughlin.  Parcells was about the same age when he came out of retirement to coach the Cowboys.  The only downside to Saban is that he's completely spineless.

I'm interested in Kevin Sumlin of Texas A&M.  Took that team into the SEC with low expectations after losing a top-10 talent at QB and they're one of the best teams in the country.  Two-time C-USA coach of the year and a well-rouned resume (co-OC at Oklahoma, played LB at Purdue, coached QB, WR, and TE, and he even coached ST) seals the deal for me, at least on him as a legit candidate.  It doesn't hurt that D. Moore, Joeckel, and J. Matthews, 3 potential top-10 picks, one of which could be an Eagle.

Miami isnt a football city... Hell Miami isnt even a sports town period. Saban probally couldnt stand that.

Im not saying the Eagles should go after him, BUT I will tell you this.... so as Nick Saban walks through the doors to the EAGLES locker room he would have respect of every single other person in that room IMO. Chip Kelly IMO is a gimmick coach that many players wont respect IMO

#19 AceofSpades

AceofSpades

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 28,627 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:13 PM

View PostMCoster, on 28 December 2012 - 11:41 AM, said:

Looks right plus possible Raiders and lions at like 50% and Rex probably has a 25% chance in ny.  Schiano kinda collapsed but he's probably safe. Basically if ur in the top 12 of the draft plus bears ur screwed

I'd put the Raiders at higher than 50% because the offense has been abysmal, and Allen's specialty has been absolutely horrible this season. I believe the Raiders are gonna make yet another coaching change.

#20 AceofSpades

AceofSpades

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 28,627 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:15 PM

View PostThe_Talon, on 28 December 2012 - 11:15 AM, said:

I believe the Lions are gonna turn up the heat on Schwartz's seat but I don't believe he's in any danger this season. They just gave him an extension a few months ago. They won't be thinking about eating that one until next season.

There's no chance Reid goes to Cleveland. I believe the power struggle was between Reid & Banner. The Philly crew that's in Cleveland will be shown the door by Banner. Heckert may either be re-assigned or straight up fired. Jimmy Haslam's gonna want his own people in place so that means Heckert's gone.

#21 RUEagle

RUEagle

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,653 posts
  • Fan Since:Cognizance

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:04 PM

My picks:  

Reid fired, hired in SD
Norv OC in Dallas if they miss the playoffs
Carolina gives Rivera another year
Shurmur canned in Cleveland
Crennel fired in KC
Oakland fires Allen, hires Gruden
Kelly to Philly
Payton stays in NO
Whisenhunt fired in AZ, gets Cleveland job
Shocker: Coughlin retires, Cowher to NYG

Meh, it could happen.

#22 CMPunk

CMPunk

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,873 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:19 PM

Reid to San Diego
McDaniels to Cleveland
Zimmer to Philadelphia
Horton promoted in Arizona
Kelly to Carolina
Ryan/Lovie both get another year

#23 WR_please

WR_please

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,357 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:24 PM

Alright, so the vacancies are in Philly, Arizona, Kansas City, Cleveland, San Diego, Chicago, and Buffalo.

The favorites so far, in my opinion as of January 2.

Philly:  Chip Kelly

Chip Kelly seems like a guy who enjoys the spotlight.  He's not going to get the kind of attention anywhere else available that he would with the Eagles.  A wide-eyed GM, an enthusiastic owner, and a fan base looking at him to be the savior are all reasons I think Kelly coaches the Eagles if he coaches anywhere in 2013.  

Arizona:  Andy Reid

If Kansas City is ready to part with Pioli then this might change.  Cleveland also but we don't really know the nature of the Reid/Banner relationship.  I think it's Arizona for 2 reasons:  1.  It's been widely reported and 2.  They also fired their GM.  That means Andy would get a heavy say in personnel, something that would be hard with him to part with given he's had it his entire HC career.

Kansas City:  Doug Marrone

Apparently Pioli holds him in high regard.  If it comes down to Pioli vs. Reid, I think they go with Pioli.  And they're not going to get the most sought after guys because they're Kansas City.

Cleveland:  Ray Horton

If there's any highly regarded potential HC on the market (other than Cowher) who knows how to coach football in the NFC North, it's Ray Horton.  He would bring an identity to that organization which also fits perfectly with their cornerstone player in Trent Richardson.

San Diego:  Bruce Arians

Arians would only go to a team with a good QB and Rivers is still considered one.

Chicago:  Mike McCoy

Chicago fired Lovie Smith so they could hire an offensive mind.  McCoy coached Tebow to a playoff run and is coaching Manning right now.  He has coached under a tough John Fox and a radical Josh McDaniels.  He has shown a willingness to adjust his system to his personnel and would design an offense that would use Jay Cutler at an optimal level.

Buffalo:  Ken Whisenhunt

Nobody wants Ken Whisenhunt to be their HC except for Buffalo.  If Whisenhunt wants to be a HC he'll coach in Buffalo.