Photo
- - - - -

Running up the score

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
69 replies to this topic

#1 Froggy

Froggy

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,360 posts
  • Team:Patriots

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:15 PM

There isn't a more pansy arsed criticism in all of sports :thumbsdown: lazy journalism, when you don't know wtf to criticize in a team, it's pretty much a reach.

#2 metalhead0043

metalhead0043

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,838 posts
  • Team:Eagles
  • Fan Since:1992

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:20 PM

Don't want the other team to score? Play better defense.

#3 Froggy

Froggy

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,360 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:24 PM

I don't have a problem with Carroll running a fake punt today either...maybe he wants to see if his team can execute it in-game. It is absolutely his prerogative. The only time I'd find it tacky is if you're in victory formation with less than a minute left and the other team is just standing around and you run a fake kneel and score. Other than that, as long as both team are COMPETING, you can do whatever the F you wanna do.

#4 CMPunk

CMPunk

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:26 PM

Patriots fan of peace.

#5 Gmen4ever

Gmen4ever

EMB Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,472 posts
  • Team:Giants
  • Fan Since:Conception

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:27 PM

From a sportsmanship angle, it's a legitimate beef. Belicheck loves doing it, and apparently Pete Carrol does too. Not surprised, seeing as how arrogant they both are.

If you have a big lead in a game, you stop throwing the ball. I remember a few years ago watching a Pats/MIA game in a bar. The Pats had them beaten down by early in the 3rd, so Brady, Welker, and a couple other starters sat down. It was something like a 42-7 game at that point. Miami came back a tiny bit and I think it may have been 42-20 with 7-8 minutes left in the game. Belicheck put Brady back out there and ran it up even more. Matter of fact, Miami was 0-7 at that point. I just looked up the box score

http://scores.espn.g...ameId=271021015

That is pure arrogance. Pull your starters and put them back in when the other team makes a shred of progress, but still has no chance in hell of winning? Thats why people hate the Pats dude. You just dont do ish like that

#6 cmart102

cmart102

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 10,259 posts
  • Fan Since:ever?

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:30 PM

In college etc I could see people having a problem with it given the huge difference in talents between bigger and small schools

This is the Fing pros. Run it up as much as possible the other guys are PAID to stop you

#7 Froggy

Froggy

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,360 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:31 PM

From a sportsmanship angle, it's a legitimate beef. Belicheck loves doing it, and apparently Pete Carrol does too. Not surprised, seeing as how arrogant they both are.

If you have a big lead in a game, you stop throwing the ball. I remember a few years ago watching a Pats/MIA game in a bar. The Pats had them beaten down by early in the 3rd, so Brady, Welker, and a couple other starters sat down. It was something like a 42-7 game at that point. Miami came back a tiny bit and I think it may have been 42-20 with 7-8 minutes left in the game. Belicheck put Brady back out there and ran it up even more. Matter of fact, Miami was 0-7 at that point. I just looked up the box score

That is pure arrogance. Pull your starters and put them back in when the other team makes a shred of progress, but still has no chance in hell of winning? Thats why people hate the Pats dude. You just dont do ish like that

How can you accuse Belichick of running up the score when the Patriots just happen to score 50+ in the first half against you? If there some kind of guideline to this ish?

Absolutely nothing wrong with playing football for 60 minutes...

#8 pisceschica

pisceschica

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 17,526 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:32 PM

I don't see anything wrong with it even if its pretty much over. If you don't want the other team to score stop them. If you have teams arrogant enough to run up the score even though its pretty much over then let them run the risk of having a starters injured in a game that is pretty much over.

#9 EagleJoe8

EagleJoe8

EMB Fossil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 83,375 posts
  • Fan Since:1992

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:33 PM

Basically the same score differential and time left we had at the Meadowlands 2 years ago. I would have had no problem with the Pats putting guys back in.

#10 L.E.

L.E.

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 19,564 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:42 PM

It's not very sportsmanlike. There is something to be said for being humble in victory especially with so many kids watching.

#11 Froggy

Froggy

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,360 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:45 PM

It's not very sportsmanlike. There is something to be said for being humble in victory especially with so many kids watching.

It's not a victory until the clock hits 0:00, or until you line up to kneel down with less than two minutes to go. After that, you be humble.

#12 Gmen4ever

Gmen4ever

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 15,472 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:02 PM

Yep. While there is no rule that says you have to stop scoring points, you can take your foot off the gas pedal and let your team coast just enough to maintain the victory, without looking like an arrogant jagoff in the process.

We all have differing opinions. I see running up the score as being a display of arrogance and poor sportsmanship.

#13 L.E.

L.E.

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 19,564 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:06 PM

It's not a victory until the clock hits 0:00, or until you line up to kneel down with less than two minutes to go. After that, you be humble.

I didn't think I was going to have to clarify that but I will if I must. I meant when you're up by such a large amount and you know the other team isn't coming back there's something to be said for being humble enough to just run the clock out, or at least gear your offense that way.

#14 Gmen4ever

Gmen4ever

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 15,472 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:06 PM

How can you accuse Belichick of running up the score when the Patriots just happen to score 50+ in the first half against you? If there some kind of guideline to this ish?

Absolutely nothing wrong with playing football for 60 minutes...

No, there's nothing wrong with playing for 60 minutes. However, there is something to keeping the pedal slammed to the floor, when it's blatantly obvious that you're playing a vastly inferior team who poses little to no danger of you losing the game. I just think it's bushleague

#15 skippyx

skippyx

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,720 posts
  • Fan Since:1978

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:10 PM

Running up the score does not exist in professional sports.
If you are trying to score, the other team can try as well.
If you turn the game into practice, then they can practice fake punts.

Suck less - Cry less.
People don't watch and pay 50 bucks a ticket to see preseason half games in December.

Tom Brady summed this up perfectly: (paraphrasing)
When I was first in the league and playing against Miami their D was killing me. I never once thought of going up to Jason Taylor or Zach Miller and asking them, "Excuse me, could you please let us get a few first downs?"

Losers can take it to the extent that the 80's and 90's NFC teams were running up the score in the Super Bowl.
Get over it and get better.

Bush League is the team down by 40 still trying to score instead of taking 3 knees and punting and expecting the other team to owe them something.

#16 Froggy

Froggy

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,360 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:12 PM

No, there's nothing wrong with playing for 60 minutes. However, there is something to keeping the pedal slammed to the floor, when it's blatantly obvious that you're playing a vastly inferior team who poses little to no danger of you losing the game. I just think it's bushleague

I guess dunking a basketball is bushleague too...it's blatantly obvious that when you're in a breakaway, laying it up will yield the same result just without the noise and excitement.

#17 Gmen4ever

Gmen4ever

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 15,472 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:17 PM

I guess dunking a basketball is bushleague too...it's blatantly obvious that when you're in a breakaway, laying it up will yield the same result just without the noise and excitement.

I dont expect you to understand, seeing as how you root for the one team that runs up the score on a regular basis. I've said all I'm gonna say on it

#18 Froggy

Froggy

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,360 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:27 PM

I dont expect you to understand, seeing as how you root for the one team that runs up the score on a regular basis. I've said all I'm gonna say on it

Come on man, not a fair comment at all..I tell it like it is all the time around here, to the extent to where I've been called a closet Giants fan multiple times. I can swallow a lot of the criticism that the Patriots and/or Belichick receives, but this one I'm not buying and it has nothing to do with my affinity with the Pats, it's just the way I feel in general in any sport. You don't have to encapsulate me just because of my opinion on this.

#19 Gmen4ever

Gmen4ever

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 15,472 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:35 PM

Come on man, not a fair comment at all..I tell it like it is all the time around here, to the extent to where I've been called a closet Giants fan multiple times. I can swallow a lot of the criticism that the Patriots and/or Belichick receives, but this one I'm not buying and it has nothing to do with my affinity with the Pats, it's just the way I feel in general in any sport. You don't have to encapsulate me just because of my opinion on this.

I know you're one of the better posters around here, and you always keep it fair. Apologies

I just don't feel the need to debate this anymore. We disagree, and thats how I'm gonna leave it, purely out of respect.

#20 TheSilence

TheSilence

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,078 posts
  • Team:Falcons

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:10 PM

Atlanta was more than capable to tack on another TD today against the Giants WITH Luke McCown and Jason Snelling in the game yet they took a knee. That's the way it should be. Pete Carroll still thinks there is a polling system to determine his post season.

#21 NorCalEagle

NorCalEagle

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 15,340 posts
  • Fan Since:Today

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:22 PM

eh...these dopes are getting paid millions of bucks...I could give two ish's if they get all butthurt about someone running up the score on them...

#22 EaglesRocker97

EaglesRocker97

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,579 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:28 PM

Keep playing as long as the clock is running. It's the NFL, don't be a baby about getting it handed to you. Get mad and stop it. I'd like to see a team put up 70 someday.

#23 Wallyhorse

Wallyhorse

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,096 posts
  • Fan Since:1986

Posted 17 December 2012 - 05:40 AM

In college etc I could see people having a problem with it given the huge difference in talents between bigger and small schools

This is the Fing pros. Run it up as much as possible the other guys are PAID to stop you

And in case anyone has forgotten, net points IS a tiebreaker.

#24 Froggy

Froggy

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,360 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 07:11 AM

For some reason football is the only sport you see this being bished about...doesn't happen in ANY other sport. Not basketball, not hockey, not baseball, not soccer...nothing.

#25 RPeeteRules

RPeeteRules

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,334 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 07:54 AM

For some reason football is the only sport you see this being bished about...doesn't happen in ANY other sport. Not basketball, not hockey, not baseball, not soccer...nothing.

In baseball, stealing, taking extra bases, bunting, ect. are all said to be in poor taste when a team has a big lead in baseball. Teams will retaliate by hitting players a team is seen as trying to run up the score.

#26 Raven115

Raven115

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • Team:Ravens

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:14 AM

Pretty much^^^^

Also basketball, if a team is leading/blowing out a team over 15pts with under a minute to go and starts bombing 3pointers, that's considered running up the score. That's when flagent fouls come into play late in the game..

#27 Muz86

Muz86

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,259 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:19 AM

I dont get why people don't agree with "running up the score". It's called playing football. If the other team is vastly inferior then they should be made aware that they're vastly inferior. Hurt their pride, make them angry. They'll play better as a result of it in the long run.

Don't let the other team think that they're better than they are by easing off. Foot to the floor all the way. Doesn't matter if the other team has no chance of winning, you keep playing and keep competing regardless imo.

#28 Froggy

Froggy

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,360 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:42 AM

I already mentioned that it becomes distasteful when the game is winding down, like under 2 minutes and the other team has pretty much raised the white flag. But before that, as long as the other team is competing, how can you NOT be competing against them? I actually think it's physically dangerous to let the opponent go full speed while you half arse your way up and down the field.

#29 BKLYNYG

BKLYNYG

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 18,393 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:27 AM

Atlanta was more than capable to tack on another TD today against the Giants WITH Luke McCown and Jason Snelling in the game yet they took a knee. That's the way it should be. Pete Carroll still thinks there is a polling system to determine his post season.

I wish the Falcons would have tacked on another 15 or 20 points. The Giants were embarrassed yesterday, but they deserved to be absolutely humilated for that performance.

#30 rich36

rich36

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 15,456 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:33 AM

I wish the Falcons would have tacked on another 15 or 20 points. The Giants were embarrassed yesterday, but they deserved to be absolutely humilated for that performace.

34-0 was convincing enough..I just hope it served as a wake up call..we'll find out next sunday