Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rocketman44

NFL Network Top Ten Underrated Players of All-Time

56 posts in this topic

For the first time last night (I'm sure it's aired before) I watched another installment in the series of "Top 10" on the NFL Network. These somewhat annoying (they interview the same people all the time) and sometimes downright silly programs (Top 10 Uniforms included Cheerleaders' and Pop Warner League uniforms) do occasionally prove interesting.

Here's the Top 10 Most Underrated Players according to NFL Network:

10. Len Dawson

9. Brian Westbrook

8. Ken Anderson

7. Randall Cunningham

6. Marvin Harrison

5. Andre Reed

4. Ottis Anderson

3. Charles Haley

2. Roger Craig

1. Bart Starr

Mostly, I'd agree with this list, though I might be inclined to elevate Len Dawson and lower Marvin Harrison (who, to me, may have been overlooked mainly due to not being a big mouth a la Terrell Owens and Randy Moss), but I think it's a pretty sound listing.

I definitely agree with the ranking of Ottis Anderson, who was one heck of a back with the 1980s Cardinals and was MVP of Super Bowl XXV late in his career. He was Rookie Of The Year, Comeback Player Of The Year ten years later, and rushed for 10,273 yards and 86 TDs. I think he's underrated because, in my experience, he's seldom mentioned in discussions of great running backs.

I'm looking for some opinions, even if you didn't see the program. Is there anyone you'd add/delete to/from this list? Are there any you strongly agree/disagree with?

Seth Joyner should be on that list. He's one of the best LBs ever, yet no one ever mentions him outside of Philly.

1 person likes this

That's a great list. Recently I've thought to myself that Kevin Greene doesn't get as much love as other pass rushers from his era, even though statistically only Bruce Smith and Reggie White had done it better.

1 person likes this

That's a great list. Recently I've thought to myself that Kevin Greene doesn't get as much love as other pass rushers from his era, even though statistically only Bruce Smith and Reggie White had done it better.

Kevin Greene for sure

Bobby Bell and Willy Lanier- I believe these two have been overlooked due to playing their careers in one of the NFL's smallest

markets in KC. Bell not only could rush the passer,he could also run with and cover opposing Wr's. He was also the Long snapper

and on the hands team for onside kicks. He was the pioneer of the style of LB play Lawrence Taylor brought to the Giants a generation

later. Lanier broke the color barrier at the MLB position, paving the way for future greats like Mike Singletary and Ray Lewis.

Sam Mills- Imo he should be in the HOF already. Former Saints and Colts HC Jim Mora once said Mills was the best player he ever

coached. He was also extremely smart. During NFLN's Top 10 Lb'ng units, Jamie Dukes said during a game, Mills called every one

of their plays before the snap.

1 person likes this

not sure how Bart Starr is underrated, I believe he was a 1st Ballot HOFer and is considered an all-time great.

How about Phil Simms?

Hershel Walker comes to mind, 2nd all-time in most combined yardage when he retired (7th now), He is the only player to gain 4,000 yards three different ways: rushing, receiving and kickoff returns. He is one of six players (Jim Brown, Lenny Moore, Marcus Allen, Marshall Faulk and Thurman Thomas) to exceed 60 touchdowns rushing and 20 touchdowns receiving. He is the only NFL player with a 90+ yard reception, 90+ yard run and a 90+ yard kickoff return in one season (1994), and yes to most is seen as a bust.

Bobby Bell and Willy Lanier- I believe these two have been overlooked due to playing their careers in one of the NFL's smallest

markets in KC. Bell not only could rush the passer,he could also run with and cover opposing Wr's. He was also the Long snapper

and on the hands team for onside kicks. He was the pioneer of the style of LB play Lawrence Taylor brought to the Giants a generation

later. Lanier broke the color barrier at the MLB position, paving the way for future greats like Mike Singletary and Ray Lewis.

Sam Mills- Imo he should be in the HOF already. Former Saints and Colts HC Jim Mora once said Mills was the best player he ever

coached. He was also extremely smart. During NFLN's Top 10 Lb'ng units, Jamie Dukes said during a game, Mills called every one

Sam Mills is a good one!

1 person likes this

Hard to see how they consider Charles Haley to have benn "underrated", for a stretch there in his career he was viewed as the mssing ingredient for a team with legit SB aspirations but that only lacked a dominant pass rusher.

Nice to see BWest on the list and someone else mentioned Joyner, but for the Birds I always though Harold Carmichael was underrated outside of Philly too.

Derrick Thomas for Kansas City never gets any love outside of KC.

:wacko:

I agree with you. I would argue that Lanier and Bell were far more important to the Chiefs' success than Len Dawson.

I agree with you. I would argue that Lanier and Bell were far more important to the Chiefs' success than Len Dawson.

I agree with your take as well. The Chiefs defense from that era is rarely mentioned as being the best of all time. Imo,they

weren't,but deserve to be in the conversation. Besides Bell and Lanier,they also had HOF'ers Emmit Thomas and Buck

Buchanon on their defense. DT Curley Culp was also there and he's the veterans committee nominee for 2013. Imo,he

should make it like Chris Hanburger did a few years ago.

This might be the wrong place to say this, but I think Brian Dawkins is gonna end up being an underrated player many years down the road. When talking about Safeties from the last 10-15 years with fans of different teams, I always seem to be the only one who mentions Dawkins' name. The two staples who always come up are of course Reed and TroyP...

Eagles fans actually overrate him by claiming he's a surefire first ballot HOFer, fans around the league underrate him by being oblivious to just how good he was for a long time.

Westbrook was underrated? I'm not implying that he was OVERrated, but pretty much everyone knew who he was, and when he was on the field. I find it hard to believe that anyone would underrate a great ballplayer like him, because I personally never saw/heard anyone do it. Thats the only one on that list I disgree with. He was a beast, and he always got the right amount of credit IMO.

Seth Joyner should be on that list. He's one of the best LBs ever, yet no one ever mentions him outside of Philly.

Um, that would be LT.

Um, that would be LT.

He did say 'one of', not 'Joyner was the best ever'

Joyner WAS a great LB

London Fletcher

Do you know anything about the Redskins before the current team? Come on, make some kind of historical contribution. How about Art Monk? Despite actually being in the Hall, he can actually be considered to be overlooked by many in his era...

First person that popped in my mind when I saw the thread title was Joyner. Top 3 weren't under rated at all.

Westbrook was underrated? I'm not implying that he was OVERrated, but pretty much everyone knew who he was, and when he was on the field. I find it hard to believe that anyone would underrate a great ballplayer like him, because I personally never saw/heard anyone do it. Thats the only one on that list I disgree with. He was a beast, and he always got the right amount of credit IMO.

You appreciate him more because you saw him more. He wasn't revered league wide like Tomlinson or other RBs were during his playing span. In Philly we considered him the best offensive player in the league at one point but league wide he never got that recognition.

1 person likes this

Do you know anything about the Redskins before the current team? Come on, make some kind of historical contribution. How about Art Monk? Despite actually being in the Hall, he can actually be considered to be overlooked by many in his era...

i think he makes a point with fletcher though. The guy has been a tackling machine for over decade now and he is hardly a household name. He is as steady as they come
1 person likes this

i think he makes a point with fletcher though. The guy has been a tackling machine for over decade now and he is hardly a household name. He is as steady as they come

The thread seemed to have a common theme when it comes to players being mentioned..,none of them are currently playing.