Photo
- - - - -

Akers receives death threat

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
42 replies to this topic

#1 zenclaybourne

zenclaybourne

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts
  • Team:Eagles
  • Fan Since:1991

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:34 PM

San Francisco 49ers kicker David Akers has quit Twitter after receiving an apparent death threat, according to report in the Sacramento Bee.
Akers, who has struggled making field goals (25-of35 attempts) this season, re-tweeted a message on Wednesday that read, “@RIP_FreeLaddin YOU F----OT IF YOU MISS ONE MORE FIELD GOAL YOU ABOUT TO GET YOUR ENTIRE LIFE ENDED.” Akers reportedly de-activated his account soon after.
Akers, a six-time Pwo Bowl kicker and two-time All-Pro, has struggled making field goals (25-of-35 attempts) this season in his second season with the 49ers. In 2011, Akers set the NFL record for total field goals made with 44.
This is the third incident involving 49ers players and Twitter. Suspended running back Brandon Jacobs is serving a three-game suspension for getting into an argument with fans on the social media platform. Also, kick returner Kyle Williams received death threats following his mistake-filled performance in last season’s NFC Championship Game.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/san-francisco-49ers-david-akers-death-threat-quits-twitter-122112

I'm starting to think a ban on social media should be required for NFL players, at least during the season.

#2 Froggy

Froggy

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,228 posts
  • Team:Patriots

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:45 PM

Until a player actually gets threatened in person I think these are non-stories...OK so some moron sent you a threat on twitter, just think of something witty in reply and be done with it.

#3 jonnyeagles12

jonnyeagles12

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,675 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 05:59 AM

Until a player actually gets threatened in person I think these are non-stories...OK so some moron sent you a threat on twitter, just think of something witty in reply and be done with it.

That's a stupid reply. Imagine if Akers has a wife and kids or whatever, you think they enjoy seeing that?

#4 Shocker54

Shocker54

EMB Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,048 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 06:03 AM

I still hate Akers for sucking in the 2008 NFC title game in a f'n dome and the wild card game against the Packers.

but this is extreme.

#5 MightyJNC

MightyJNC

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 12,358 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:46 AM

Just another perfect example of the completely disproportionate importance level professional sports occupy in the lives of too many "fans". :nonono:

#6 paco

paco

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 33,520 posts
  • Fan Since:2038

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:05 AM

Speaking from personal experience, their fans make ours look like saints.

#7 Hank_TheBody_Fraley

Hank_TheBody_Fraley

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 26,314 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:09 AM

It must be a Philly fan posing as a 9er fan trying to take the heat off of Philly. That's the only believable explanation...

#8 Froggy

Froggy

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,228 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:10 AM

That's a stupid reply. Imagine if Akers has a wife and kids or whatever, you think they enjoy seeing that?

Moron, I didn't say death threats on twitter are fun...I'm saying they're not legitimate death threats since they happen all the time and no one really acts on them. Your reply is even stupider, if he doesn't want people to him sending him public messages then he can close his f'ing stupid twitter account then.

#9 bumpy93

bumpy93

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 15,817 posts
  • Fan Since:1993

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:25 AM

http://msn.foxsports...-twitter-122112

I'm starting to think a ban on social media should be required for NFL players, at least during the season.

why cant they press charges on the person that owns the account in which that came from????

#10 ruger45

ruger45

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts
  • Fan Since:1977

Posted 22 December 2012 - 02:01 PM

Maybe you live in a box. In today's society threats are not taken lightly. He is a husband and father. More importantly this threat was made because of his performance at his job. A game/sport.

#11 ruger45

ruger45

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 02:07 PM

Moron, I didn't say death threats on twitter are fun...I'm saying they're not legitimate death threats since they happen all the time and no one really acts on them. Your reply is even stupider, if he doesn't want people to him sending him public messages then he can close his f'ing stupid twitter account then.

Actually you are the one with the dumb reply. You call in a threat to a place and see what happens to you. Stop while your ahead. Your making yourself look really silly.

#12 Froggy

Froggy

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,228 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 02:11 PM

Maybe you live in a box. In today's society threats are not taken lightly. He is a husband and father. More importantly this threat was made because of his performance at his job. A game/sport.

If you don't stfu I'm gonna split your head with a cleaver. There, that was a death threat. Are you gonna take it seriously? No, of course not.

#13 cowboy30

cowboy30

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,431 posts
  • Team:Cowboys
  • Fan Since:the embryo

Posted 22 December 2012 - 02:54 PM

The other dude was right. It is a stupid comment. Let's make it all a non-story until something actually does happen...oops.

The guy making the threat probably has a warrant out there somewhere, hope they find him.

#14 Froggy

Froggy

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,228 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 03:52 PM

The other dude was right. It is a stupid comment. Let's make it all a non-story until something actually does happen...oops.

The guy making the threat probably has a warrant out there somewhere, hope they find him.

I'm sure professional athletes have enough resources to protect themselves and their families from angry internet trolls without us having to cry on their behalf. It's a non-story to me, David Akers AND his family will be fine. If every athlete is gonna cry about getting threatened on twitter then they should all just close their stupid twitter accounts and stop giving regular Joe's a public platform that exposes them to threats and criticism. Justin Bieber probably gets about 5 million death threats every day, but we don't hear about them do we?

#15 Gmen4ever

Gmen4ever

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 15,370 posts
  • Team:Giants
  • Fan Since:Conception

Posted 22 December 2012 - 03:52 PM

Thing is, no one knows if they're legit or not. It can't just be written off as nothing, because it may in fact be something. He's a high profile athlete with a family and a nice bank account. Ignoring a threat would be the dumbest thing he could do. Some fans take this game VERY seriously, to the point where a threat may not be just a threat at all.

#16 Froggy

Froggy

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,228 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 03:56 PM

Thing is, no one knows if they're legit or not. It can't just be written off as nothing, because it may in fact be something. He's a high profile athlete with a family and a nice bank account. Ignoring a threat would be the dumbest thing he could do. Some fans take this game VERY seriously, to the point where a threat may not be just a threat at all.

If someone wants to harm these players, they wouldn't have to make a threat, they would just do it. I'm not saying players shouldn't protect themselves and their families, that goes without saying for any public figure with a nice bank account. I'm just saying that publicizing those threats is antiquated and is actually the wrong way to go about it. If you're a high profile player and you receive a death threat, you're better off just informing the authorities and keep it on the down low.

#17 EAGLES8690

EAGLES8690

Starter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,227 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 04:20 PM

This guy gets it.You never know who's on the other end of the threat.It could be some psycho gambling addict who just lost his life savings cause Akers missed a kick lol.

#18 EAGLES8690

EAGLES8690

Starter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,227 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 04:26 PM

I wish I was a member here when Westbrook took a knee at the 1 yard line.I remember people were on the radio threatening him and saying there kids can't have Christmas cause they lost there Fantasy Football bull****.

#19 hpowner

hpowner

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 04:46 PM

I wish I was a member here when Westbrook took a knee at the 1 yard line.I remember people were on the radio threatening him and saying there kids can't have Christmas cause they lost there Fantasy Football bull****.

Smh people really take that **** too seriously.

#20 ruger45

ruger45

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 06:41 PM

If you don't stfu I'm gonna split your head with a cleaver. There, that was a death threat. Are you gonna take it seriously? No, of course not.

You should be careful who you talk to in this manner. To answer your question, I just might take is serious.

#21 zenclaybourne

zenclaybourne

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts
  • Fan Since:1991

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:07 PM

Well he did...

#22 BlackPooL

BlackPooL

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 12,936 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:43 AM

You should be careful who you talk to in this manner. To answer your question, I just might take is serious.

No doubt.

The internet isn't as safe and secure as some think. There's people out there who could absolutely find out who you are and where you live.

And you better hope that those with the knowledge to do so aren't psycho.

Besides, just because it's the internet shouldn't be an excuse to be a fa#%ot a-hole. Why can't people just be decent? Society is getting pathetic, mainly because some people act like constant immature and stupid behavior is totally acceptable.

#23 Froggy

Froggy

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,228 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:07 PM

I don't talk to anyone in this manner, I'm just making a point. Stop being so damn sensitive.

#24 philly_phan74

philly_phan74

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 19,159 posts
  • Fan Since:Today

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:08 PM

Isn't Akers a black belt in some form of Martial Arts?

#25 MightyJNC

MightyJNC

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 12,358 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:22 PM

No doubt.

The internet isn't as safe and secure as some think. There's people out there who could absolutely find out who you are and where you live.

And you better hope that those with the knowledge to do so aren't psycho.

Besides, just because it's the internet shouldn't be an excuse to be a fa#%ot a-hole. Why can't people just be decent? Society is getting pathetic, mainly because some people act like constant immature and stupid behavior is totally acceptable.

That's exactly why I took it absolutely seriously when some ahole used information they pieced together here to find out personal information (mine and my wife's name and our address) and posted our names.

#26 gibsonplyer

gibsonplyer

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 10,205 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:21 PM

People too stupid to take responsibility for their own stupid actions. Maybe you shouldn't have bet your kids Christmas money on fantasy football.

I hope they track down the moron who made the threat. You can never know when these kinds of things are serious or not and this BS of being able to say whatever stupid thing you want to someone just because you're on the interwebs needs to stop.

#27 L.E.

L.E.

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 19,535 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:45 PM

Sorry, had to. :P

#28 kilco

kilco

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,201 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 01:01 AM

I'm glad the niners are getting the Akers I came to know every time the games mattered. Guys a choker ....

#29 yonushonis

yonushonis

Backup

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts
  • Fan Since:1972

Posted 24 December 2012 - 01:47 AM

Just another perfect example of the completely disproportionate importance level professional sports occupy in the lives of too many "fans". :nonono:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wybmI_ezdAQ

I like how those losers never have ducats, they sit out in the parking lot like the poors they are.

Isn't Akers a black belt in some form of Martial Arts?

He has a black belt in missing kicks. It's a Moronic Art.

#30 The_Talon

The_Talon

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 30,115 posts
  • Fan Since:1978?

Posted 24 December 2012 - 02:22 AM

Speaking from personal experience, their fans make ours look like saints.

yep. Even the media there is quick to dismiss losses as if they don't want to talk about games. Unlike our media where we have several radio shows which just focus on all the negativity. Guarantee you tomorrow on the news, they'll have a 2 minute re-cap of the 49ers loss, then devote 30 seconds to the Raiders loss, and then move onto something positive..