- - - - -

Calvin Johnson

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
61 replies to this topic

#1 jonnyeagles12

jonnyeagles12

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,437 posts
  • Team:Eagles

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:05 AM

Congrats to the guy for breaking Rice's record, guys a beast.

#2 Froggy

Froggy

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,923 posts
  • Team:Patriots

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:53 AM

Congrats to him, but I gotta say, I'm not jaw droppingly impressed by this one. If Peterson doesn't play another down this season I'd still be more impressed by him than Calvin. Reason is, Stafford has 685 pass attempts this season with a game to spare, he's 6 attempts away from shattering the single season record. My second reason is that Johnson has been targeted 190 times this season with a game to spare, that too, is a ridiculous record.

Basically all the Lions have done this season is trail, play from behind, and throw the ball to Calvin at record setting volume. It just ceases to impress when you look at the numbers aspect of it. I'll admit I am a tad bitter, would have been nice for the GOAT to hold on to that record.

#3 RedskinsFan01

RedskinsFan01

EMB Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,920 posts
  • Team:Redskins

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:32 AM

A great accomplishment but it will come with an asterisk since the Lions have won 4 games.

#4 H-field Hero

H-field Hero

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,326 posts
  • Fan Since:1994

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:22 PM

Jerry Rice's records are so ridiculous that anytime one of them falls it's a big deal regardless of the circumstances.  On the other hand I will make this comment.  CJ is having a record breaking season, but Detroit is a terrible team so what does the accomplishment really mean?

#5 Froggy

Froggy

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,923 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:44 PM

View PostH-field Hero, on 23 December 2012 - 01:22 PM, said:

Jerry Rice's records are so ridiculous that anytime one of them falls it's a big deal regardless of the circumstances.  On the other hand I will make this comment.  CJ is having a record breaking season, but Detroit is a terrible team so what does the accomplishment really mean?

It means nothing really, and it's sad to see how elated their fans were last night.

#6 NorCalEagle

NorCalEagle

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 15,340 posts
  • Fan Since:Today

Posted 23 December 2012 - 03:00 PM

I'm happy for the guy. He's an amazing player on the f'n Lions.

#7 VaBeach_Eagle

VaBeach_Eagle

EMB Fossil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,528 posts
  • Fan Since:1976

Posted 23 December 2012 - 03:08 PM

Meaningless record since they Lions suck.

The Lions should make a Mega-Trade this offseason. Maybe they can pull off a Herschel Walker type deal.

#8 Sleeper7

Sleeper7

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Team:Lions

Posted 23 December 2012 - 03:37 PM

What's really sad is the attempts to diminish the achievement.

#9 Froggy

Froggy

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,923 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:52 PM

View PostSleeper7, on 23 December 2012 - 03:37 PM, said:

We're diminishing the achievement because the Lions suck...you don't see anyone doing the same for Peterson.

#10 NorCalEagle

NorCalEagle

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 15,340 posts
  • Fan Since:Today

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:56 PM

The Lions suck less than any team the EMB could field. So congrats to Calvin.

#11 mike030270

mike030270

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,991 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:57 PM

Both sad and funny how Fitz could have a shot at the record but has no QB to throw to him

#12 Whiskey

Whiskey

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,247 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:21 PM

It doesn't matter if the Lions suck or not. The complete ineptitude of thier defense and special teams should in no way tarnish a historic season from the best WR in the league. He broke the single season receiving yards record, a record previously held by perhaps the greatest player to ever step on a football field, and he did it in 15 games. He is also very likely to break the 2000 yard mark.

And yes, Calvin has been targeted a Hell of a lot, because he is the best WR in the league and you'd be stupid not to. He also faces double coverage on basically every play. Every defense gameplans specifically to stop Calvin Johnson and they still can't do it. Furthermore, many of those targets were just prayer passes that had no chance to be caught, yet still count as targets.

As football fans, we have been blessed this season with the performances of Clavin Johnson and Adrian Peterson. We should enjoy them instead of finding ways to lessen the performances based on things that are beyond the control of the player.

#13 VaBeach_Eagle

VaBeach_Eagle

EMB Fossil

• Members
  • 53,528 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:31 PM

View PostSleeper7, on 23 December 2012 - 03:37 PM, said:

How can you diminish something that is meaningless? What does that record do for the 2012 Detroit Lions? How many games does that record win for them?

#14 wtfcares

wtfcares

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:57 PM

View PostVaBeach_Eagle, on 23 December 2012 - 10:31 PM, said:

How can you diminish something that is meaningless? What does that record do for the 2012 Detroit Lions? How many games does that record win for them?

Uhmm there's a pretty big difference between a team record, and a player record. How is it CJ's fault the rest of the lions suck? He is playing the best football in the NFL out there every game, and thats all you can ask for from a single player especially when you're team is sucking. He has broken the record and it's a huge accomplishment. If it's due to the lions sucking, then why aren't any of our players, or the chiefs, or raiders breaking any records this season? You can't take anything away from the man, if we had more players like him that give all their effort regardless of record, maybe we wouldn't be drafting in the top 5...

#15 VaBeach_Eagle

VaBeach_Eagle

EMB Fossil

• Members
  • 53,528 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:13 PM

View Postwtfcares, on 23 December 2012 - 10:57 PM, said:

Uhmm there's a pretty big difference between a team record, and a player record.
The NFL is a team sport. Individual records that don't help the TEAM win are meaningless.

#16 Sleeper7

Sleeper7

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:14 PM

View PostVaBeach_Eagle, on 23 December 2012 - 10:31 PM, said:

Do you count "meaningless" stats in career totals?

Someone should tell Butkus, Sayers, OJ and the like that much of their careers were "meaningless" because they didn't do enough to translate into team/playoff wins.

#17 VaBeach_Eagle

VaBeach_Eagle

EMB Fossil

• Members
  • 53,528 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:20 PM

View PostSleeper7, on 23 December 2012 - 11:14 PM, said:

Do you count "meaningless" stats in career totals?

Someone should tell Butkus, Sayers, OJ and the like that much of their careers were "meaningless" because they didn't do enough to translate into team/playoff wins.
Let me ask again, how many victories did his record secure for the Lions? Does that record get them a Lombardi trophy?

Breaking that record in the modern NFL means very little. A rookie QB just broke the rookie passing record with more than 4000 yards, with one game left to go... the modern NFL is juiced for the passing game.

It's like having a team down by 42 points, getting a big sack and the sacker goes wild... "I GOT A SACK!!! I GOT A SACK!!!" Yeah, well you're losing by 42 points that sack is meaningless.

Think Johnson would give that record up if it meant the Lions would make it into the playoffs with a chance at the Super Bowl?

#18 Sleeper7

Sleeper7

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:31 PM

Right, in this modern passing game, only one guy has eclipsed 1600 yards in the last nine years.  And he's done in consecutive seasons. Going against some of the most diverse, exotic coverages in the league.

Of course he'd give up the record for a playoff berth. But in the NFL, the mantra is to just do your job.  It isn't in your control if the rest of the team lacks talent or if guys fail to do their job.

Would you knock AD's season if the Vikes miss the playoffs? It isn't his fault Ponder sucks donkey balls and I'm sure he give up yardage for a competent passing game.

It wouldn't and shouldn't be any less impressive of a season.

#19 mike030270

mike030270

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,991 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:53 PM

View PostVaBeach_Eagle, on 23 December 2012 - 11:13 PM, said:

The NFL is a team sport. Individual records that don't help the TEAM win are meaningless.
Technically they do help. The times they don't are usually when someone else on the team screws up the big play. An example would be the many times Calvin caught the ball to gain big yards only to have it come back because of a penalty by his team.

#20 VaBeach_Eagle

VaBeach_Eagle

EMB Fossil

• Members
  • 53,528 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:56 PM

View Postmike030270, on 23 December 2012 - 11:53 PM, said:

Technically they do help. The times they don't are usually when someone else on the team screws up the big play. An example would be the many times Calvin caught the ball to gain big yards only to have it come back because of a penalty by his team.
So the Lions are in the playoffs due to his individual record? Wow, I hadn't heard that. Awesome!

#21 wtfcares

wtfcares

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 12:24 AM

View PostVaBeach_Eagle, on 23 December 2012 - 11:13 PM, said:

Okay just take one sentence out of my whole response. Once again Calvin obviously gave his all every game this season, proven by breaking the record, and that's all you can ask of a player. And that DOES HELP THE TEAM WIN, how does the rest of his team's failures take away from what he did? How many of our players did that this year? They all gave up even prior to mid season.

#22 VaBeach_Eagle

VaBeach_Eagle

EMB Fossil

• Members
  • 53,528 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 12:35 AM

View Postwtfcares, on 24 December 2012 - 12:24 AM, said:

Okay just take one sentence out of my whole response.
I responded to the part I wanted to respond to. As that is all I was responding to, the rest of the post wasn't needed in the quote box. It's not like I completely deleted what you said so that others can't see it. It's still in your post.

#23 axe_man_trotter

axe_man_trotter

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 13,395 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 12:37 AM

No one took anything away from Barry when he put up his numbers while being on some crappy teams so why do it to Calvin? He has a chance and a very good one at that to break 2000 Yards receiving. That in itself is pretty amazing.

#24 wtfcares

wtfcares

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 01:01 AM

View PostVaBeach_Eagle, on 24 December 2012 - 12:35 AM, said:

I responded to the part I wanted to respond to. As that is all I was responding to, the rest of the post wasn't needed in the quote box. It's not like I completely deleted what you said so that others can't see it. It's still in your post.

Once again you haven't responded to the points I made.

FYI the reason i said that is because the rest of my post explains the reasoning behind that statement. But you just choose to look at one part and ignore the rest because lets face it reason doesn't exist in this forum.

#25 Whiskey

Whiskey

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,247 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 03:05 AM

Don't even bother trying to engage VaBeach in any kind of debate. He is either severely mentally challenged or the most consistent troll on the EMB since I signed up in 2001.

#26 VaBeach_Eagle

VaBeach_Eagle

EMB Fossil

• Members
  • 53,528 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 04:00 AM

View Postwtfcares, on 24 December 2012 - 01:01 AM, said:

Once again you haven't responded to the points I made.

FYI the reason i said that is because the rest of my post explains the reasoning behind that statement. But you just choose to look at one part and ignore the rest because lets face it reason doesn't exist in this forum.
I looked at your post, I explained my thoughts. Just because I didn't go point for point through your post doesn't mean I didn't look at it or ignored it.

I place no significance on the record, I don't see it as anything worthy of much note, seeing as the Lions are 4-11, or are they 5-10? I'm sure it's nice for Johnson, but what does it do for the 2012 Lions?

Andy Reid is the winningest coach in Eagles history. He's won more games than any coach we've ever had... what does that do for the 2012 Eagles? Kolb set a record for becoming the first QB to ever throw for 300 or more yards in his first 2 starts (or was it 3?). What did that do for the 2009 Eagles? Well, in that case it got us to get rid of McNabb, bank on Kolb, who got hurt in his first game which made us turn to Vick which in turn has given us two straight non-winning seasons. So that did get us something.

Have you ever seen a player on a team that is getting completely destroyed who makes a good, or even a great play and then dances and celebrates as if he just won the Super Bowl, all the while his team is losing by 50 points? Looks silly, doesn't it? He's celebrating his individual accomplishment while his team is under water and gasping for air.

It's real nice for Johnson that he has his record. His teams season was a complete failure, but he has his little record.

#27 CharGP02A

CharGP02A

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,892 posts
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted 24 December 2012 - 08:21 AM

What the hell is wrong with you people? He broke the greatest player to ever play the game's record and you guys are hating on him? Unbelievable. What's wrong with accepting his accomplishment for what it is...which is amazing? There's not a damn thing wrong about him getting that record. You all need to get over it.

#28 Dawkins 20

Dawkins 20

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 20,883 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 08:29 AM

View PostCharGP02A, on 24 December 2012 - 08:21 AM, said:

What the hell is wrong with you people? He broke the greatest player to ever play the game's record and you guys are hating on him? Unbelievable. What's wrong with accepting his accomplishment for what it is...which is amazing? There's not a damn thing wrong about him getting that record. You all need to get over it.

This

#29 Simvastatin

Simvastatin

Training Camp Body

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 08:53 AM

I don't see how people can discredit Calvin's record breaking season due to him being on a bad team. To me being on a bad teak makes his accomplishment even more remarkable. Calvin Johnson is the only legitimate weapon in the Lion's offense. Everyone knows that and yet no one can stop him.

#30 bumpy93

bumpy93

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 15,802 posts
  • Fan Since:1993

Posted 24 December 2012 - 11:51 AM

Im not trying to take anything away from this amazing record

BUT

Jerry Rice's records were set during the late 1980's into the early 1990's when the leauge was mostly a running leauge back then. As we saw last year with Drew Brees breaking Marinos record for passing yards in a single season. All the passing records are going to be re-written with-in the next 2-7 seasons IMO

Like I said, Im not taking anything away from that record, but dont be susprised when alot if not all the passing and receiving records are broken in the very near future IMO