Photo
- - - - -

Silent fans speak volumes about Reidís Eagles legacy

mccaffery delco times

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 herbicide

herbicide

EMB Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,874 posts
  • Team:Eagles
  • Fan Since:1960

Posted 24 December 2012 - 08:56 AM

McCaffery

McCaffery: Silent fans speak volumes about Reid’s Eagles legacy

Published: Monday, December 24, 2012

By Jack McCaffery
jmccaffery@delcotimes.com

PHILADELPHIA — A little short of its goal, after a draining of timeouts, with a penalty and ultimately with fan apathy.

Such was the way Andy Reid’s final Linc game ended Sunday.

With the next great NFC East quarterback winning, with the Eagles dropping deeper into last place, with a blast of turnovers and other mistakes.

Such was the way Andy Reid’s final Linc game ended Sunday.

The Eagles no better for his efforts, more than half of the fans already gone, with a mismanaged clock. Such was the way Andy Reid’s Linc career ended Sunday.

With a 27-20 loss to the Washington Redskins. Such was the way Andy Reid’s final Linc game ended Sunday.

With arrogance.

See above.

“Are you asking me the question?” Reid said, when asked about fan speculation that he will be fired after the Eagles’ final regular-season game, next week against the Giants at the Meadowlands. Assured that was the case, Reid replied, “I don’t know that. I have nothing to tell you on that. I am the coach right now. And I am just coaching — the best I possibly can.”

The reaction was mutual. For after his 242nd game, with his owner having all but promised a coaching change with anything shy of a nine-win season, whatever remained of the originally assembled 69,144 essentially let Reid walk out of the stadium to exactly what he deserved: Silence.

Were there some boos? Yes. Was there a supportive “Andy Reid, Andy Reid” chant near the tunnel to the locker room? Yes, apparently. But neither demonstration was overwhelming when the refs ran the final second off the clock as punishment for the Birds having attempted an illegal forward pass. There was no rollout from Sign Man. Nothing, fortunately, was heaved onto the field. There wasn’t a sing-song “Goodbye, Andy” taunt. There wasn’t a “Thank you, Andy,” chant. There was no honking of horns … nor of noses choked with melancholy.

No, after 14 years, Andy Reid was treated as if he had never been there at all.

“I wasn’t thinking about that,” Brent Celek said. “When you are on the football field, you don’t think about anything else outside of the stadium. You are thinking about what you have to do to beat that man across from you. That’s it. I don’t get into all that other stuff.”

Technically, Reid was not fired. So he still has work to do, and, darn it, he has to do a better job in Week 17. But he won’t be back in the Linc again, at least not on the home sideline. Yet … he acted like he was the only one in football not to understand that.

“Those are good stories,” he said. “But when you are in the process of getting ready for a game, your mind doesn’t go there — especially a game like that, where it comes down to the last second. So that’s not really where I am at.”

The Eagles almost won Sunday, but didn’t, stalling at the Washington five. For that late effort, at least, Reid was spared the public humiliation of a fan revolt … and might have even earned a way-to-go or two.

“Listen, we have great fans,” he said. “I’ve always said that we’re kind of on the same page. When you stink, they let you know you stink. And when you’re doing good, they’re going to let you know you’re doing good. I got it. I understand. I understand the situation. I appreciate everything.”

Reid will return to work Monday to prepare for the Giants. He’ll be asked all week about his final Eagles game, but he won’t break. Not now.

“I feel like Coach Reid doesn’t get too high or get too low,” Brandon Graham said. “He’s just a man with a straight head. He’s a tough guy. I know that. We wouldn’t want this to be his last game. So let’s go to New York and win, and try to make that his last one.”

It won’t matter — not to the owner, and definitely not to the fans, who have spoken … or more to the point, have not.

Contact Jack McCaffery at jmccaffery@delcotimes.com. Follow him on Twitter

@JackMcCaffery.

#2 E v 2.0

E v 2.0

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 17,384 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:04 AM

He "deserved" silence?

Go F yourself McCaffery. Obviously it's time for Andy to go but this immature idiotic hatred of him and complete disrespect of what he tried to do here is tired.

And people wonder why our fans are such an ignorant childish embarrassment.

#3 vox populi

vox populi

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,188 posts
  • Fan Since:1970

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:15 AM

He "deserved" silence?

Go F yourself McCaffery. Obviously it's time for Andy to go but this immature idiotic hatred of him and complete disrespect of what he tried to do here is tired.

And people wonder why our fans are such an ignorant childish embarrassment.

McCaffery

Andy Reid treated the fans with arrogant disrespect and silence for 14 years. In return, Andy got exactly what he gave. He wasn't booed. He wasn't cheered. He was ignored. Exactly as it should be. Maybe over time, all will be forgiven. But not now.

Good riddance to the Fat F! Don't let the door hit your ample backside on the way out of town.

#4 TV Guy

TV Guy

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 16,448 posts
  • Fan Since:Forever

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:31 AM

Too bad the lousy, lazy Eagles beat writers can't be fired too.

#5 Utebird

Utebird

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 14,287 posts
  • Fan Since:1988

Posted 25 December 2012 - 12:54 AM

Andy Reid treated the fans with arrogant disrespect and silence for 14 years. In return, Andy got exactly what he gave. He wasn't booed. He wasn't cheered. He was ignored. Exactly as it should be. Maybe over time, all will be forgiven. But not now.

Good riddance to the Fat F! Don't let the door hit your ample backside on the way out of town.

i'd treat the fans in philly the same way, they are a disgrace to football fans, After watching seattle dominate the niners at and seeing how a supportive home crowd can energize the home team and frustrate the visiting team philly fans should realize booing all game or waiting to boo the whole game doesnt help much. philly fans always feel like they have the right to be disgruntled because they have had such a rough history as a franchise, yet what has seattle ever done, they have been a bottom dwelling laughing stock most of their existence yet the fans their support them and its easily the loudest stadium in the league, even when the eagles were going to the playoffs every year fans were still booing and whining and feeling as if they were owed more due to their pathetic lives.

im a fan of the eagles but i abhor the majority of eagles fans especially the local ones.

#6 ABSOLUTE STYLE

ABSOLUTE STYLE

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 12:40 PM

Your a Fing idiot for even stating that. dope. What are you? 14 years old? I love how these "QUALITY" fans we got have to always call Andy a fat F. Yeah, real mature. Way to proove a point... That your a moron. And just another reason the rest of us have to live with our horrible fan reputation cause of dikheads like this guy.

Andy Reid maybe gone.

But who the hell are you? You call Andy a fat F. And you say he was arrogant and silent to the fans? What realm are you from? I can't even begin to fathom how retarded you are for making this statement. But truthfully, your statement doesn't come from reality, but a disillusioned hatred for a hard-working coach that hasn't won a superbowl.

Arrogant to the fans? With people that treat him like you do, and you think YOU deserve an apology and that he doesn't deserve to be FORGIVIN? FORGIVIN? For Fing what? Because he busted his a** working 16 hr days being away from his family. DO NOT try to tell us he was arrogant and silent to the fans. Because you don't understand that Andy Reid protects his players by not divulging information in interviews, shows me you're just another 'fan' who hasn't even played real football in their life, because if you did you would realize what a great job he's always done respecting and protecting his players. Which is why his players respect him soo much.

Andy has his flaws like clock management and failure to run the ball that can balance out the passing attack. But you also have too many like-minds in one buiding, and without someone who can critically critique and positively disagree with what everyone else believes, your going to continue to make the same mistakes. It isn't Reid's fault that the whole offensive line was injured, that the players continuously turnover the ball.

Vick has been a bust for 2 years. He's 18-15 as an Eagles starter with 9 of those wins coming in the first 12 games. Truth is, that people like you have wanted Reid gone for years and you continuously disrespect the man everytime you get a chance. Yet you think your owed an apology. What an embarrassment you are and to anyone else that acts this way. Grow up children, and maybe when you start acting like adults people might listen to your sorry lifes more.

#7 Eagles_Section115_Row29

Eagles_Section115_Row29

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,910 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 12:55 PM

i'd treat the fans in philly the same way, they are a disgrace to football fans, After watching seattle dominate the niners at and seeing how a supportive home crowd can energize the home team and frustrate the visiting team philly fans should realize booing all game or waiting to boo the whole game doesnt help much. philly fans always feel like they have the right to be disgruntled because they have had such a rough history as a franchise, yet what has seattle ever done, they have been a bottom dwelling laughing stock most of their existence yet the fans their support them and its easily the loudest stadium in the league, even when the eagles were going to the playoffs every year fans were still booing and whining and feeling as if they were owed more due to their pathetic lives.

im a fan of the eagles but i abhor the majority of eagles fans especially the local ones.

How many home games have you attended to see the fans booing and whining at games when the eagles were a good team? I would wager not many as you clearly have no idea what you are talking about. Modern day Seattle is much like Philly was(young exciting team playing hard) in 2000,2001,2002, but you obviously weren't there as there wasn't booing/whining. When Seattle isn't undefeated and playing great football at home , under achieves, plays with no heart, and calls terrible plays, ..see if they aren't booing also.

#8 ABSOLUTE STYLE

ABSOLUTE STYLE

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 12:58 PM

Agreed... And it's not all fans obviously because the normal ones aren't the ones calling and crying on the radio or the message boards all day. But the negativity these fans portray is a complete laughing stock to the league because these "fans" actually expect like they are owed something. Yeah, just look at the hatred, personal **** you people say, and yet you think you as a fan deserve a Superbowl. The rest of the fans in the league love that the Eagles suck. How can at a Monday Night Football game in Indy during the post game that the Eagles didn't even play (while Reggie Wayne was being interviewed) people are in the background chanting "Eagles suck". THEY AREN'T SAYING THAT BECAUSE THEY HATE THE EAGLES... THEY DO IT BECAUSE THEY CAN'T STAND OUR FANS. And they know chanting that pisses us off.

#9 macgregor

macgregor

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,292 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 01:02 PM

For a team as good as this was even in 2010 to have devolved into this basket case in 2 years, Andy has been exposed as horrible coach and talent evaluator that just happened to get very lucky early in his career. That's the classiest silence to ever come from Philly fans. IMO they had every right to boo.

#10 Shore_Eagle_Fan

Shore_Eagle_Fan

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 02:23 PM

Ignorance is bliss. The fans have changed. There are fewer idiots in the stadium.

The crowd is actually ho-hum most of the time. When the Eagles were winning they did cheer but not like they did in the vet.

Philly has always been a blue collar town. The fan base at the vet reflected a rough image. Since the team moved to the Linc. the fan base in the stadium is skewed. It is much more of a wht collar crowd out for the afternoon. They are fair weather fans at a business function. This has lead to waterdown emotions or apathy.

The cliche Eagles fan from the 700 level was buried with the vet. They simply can't afford the Linc.

I am a season ticket holder that witness the difference seasonally. Of course there are drunk'n college age idiots but you will find them at any Nfl game across the country. Eagles games today are dominated by corporate networking events.

#11 Eagles_Section115_Row29

Eagles_Section115_Row29

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,910 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 06:21 PM

Ignorance is bliss. The fans have changed. There are fewer idiots in the stadium.

The crowd is actually ho-hum most of the time. When the Eagles were winning they did cheer but not like they did in the vet.

Philly has always been a blue collar town. The fan base at the vet reflected a rough image. Since the team moved to the Linc. the fan base in the stadium is skewed. It is much more of a wht collar crowd out for the afternoon. They are fair weather fans at a business function. This has lead to waterdown emotions or apathy.

The cliche Eagles fan from the 700 level was buried with the vet. They simply can't afford the Linc.

I am a season ticket holder that witness the difference seasonally. Of course there are drunk'n college age idiots but you will find them at any Nfl game across the country. Eagles games today are dominated by corporate networking events.

Not sure if I should trust the opinion of the gameday crowd from an actual season ticket holder VS a dufus in California.

I would say you are largely accurate based on my own observations as a season ticket holder. The place was rocking though during the 2nd half of Ravens and Giants games this year, several games in 2008, the garcia run in 2006, and the 2003, 2004 seasons. It clearly isn't the VET though due to the pricing you explained.

#12 LacesOut

LacesOut

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 24,686 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 06:36 PM

Good article.

The fans apathy says it all.

Good riddance to Andy!!

#13 vox populi

vox populi

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,188 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:48 AM

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO to your post!

You clearly never spent any time at the Vet. There wasn't a louder, more supportive stadium in the world when the team was giving full effort. Eagles fans don't boo indiscriminately. When they boo, the team fully deserves it.

This Eagles team fully deserves nothing but boos. The most unlikeable athletes ever assembled on one team. I really dislike this bunch of quitters. And yes, they quit. You can see it. DRC, Nnamdi, Maclin, and the whole bunch.

I'm pretty sure the next coach will want to blow this whole mess up after he studies the tape. There are maybe 15-20 players worth keeping. The rest need to be shown the door.

My sadness is that Howie Roseman will remain. One gets the feeling that he was the one feeding Reid on all these hair brained ideas like hiring Washburn and signing the likes of Babin. Howie brought the cancer here even though Reid will catch the blame because he signed off on it. Doesn't make the original idea any better.

#14 weko

weko

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts
  • Fan Since:1965

Posted 27 December 2012 - 03:11 AM

How many home games have you attended to see the fans booing and whining at games when the eagles were a good team? I would wager not many as you clearly have no idea what you are talking about. Modern day Seattle is much like Philly was(young exciting team playing hard) in 2000,2001,2002, but you obviously weren't there as there wasn't booing/whining. When Seattle isn't undefeated and playing great football at home , under achieves, plays with no heart, and calls terrible plays, ..see if they aren't booing also.

Right on the money...This town and fan base including myself had had enough of Andy Reid football a few years ago. Peole are quiet because they are disgusted and frankly many of them have left the building. If you want to hear loud...watch the tape of the 1980 NFC title game at the vet vs Dallas when Wilbert ran the first play from scrimmage 42 yards to the end zone without being touched. Now that was as loud as you will ever hear people at any stadium, in any sport, anywhere in the world.

#15 joegus

joegus

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,433 posts
  • Fan Since:cognizance

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:41 AM

The Vet to Eagle fans was like wearing an old shoe, it was comfortable. Like all old shoes it wore out. The Linc is a great stadium but the fans never really had much to cheer about there yet. There is no identity to the fans there. We need something to cheer about. Reid deserved the silence. He got back what he gave. Lincoln stadium will eventually come to life and the fans will find their niche there. Lurie built a great stadium but it became as stale as his football program. Can he change both around? Stay tuned Eagle fans. Stay tuned.

#16 vox populi

vox populi

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,188 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:44 AM

Your a Fing idiot for even stating that. dope. What are you? 14 years old? I love how these "QUALITY" fans we got have to always call Andy a fat F. Yeah, real mature. Way to proove a point... That your a moron. And just another reason the rest of us have to live with our horrible fan reputation cause of dikheads like this guy.

Andy Reid maybe gone.

But who the hell are you? You call Andy a fat F. And you say he was arrogant and silent to the fans? What realm are you from? I can't even begin to fathom how retarded you are for making this statement. But truthfully, your statement doesn't come from reality, but a disillusioned hatred for a hard-working coach that hasn't won a superbowl.

Being morbidly obese is a sure sign of lack of personal discipline or an addictive personality. One is a self inflicted health problem and the other is a mental health disorder. Addiction can be genetic. Andy chose food. His sons chose drugs.

You can live in a world of self delusion if you wish, but I'll call it like I see it. Andy was arrogant and purposely distant to the fans. In return, he got what he gave.

Philadelphia has some of the best, most loyal fans in all of sports. But most of us are not stupid and we won't be taken for granted. Andy Reid never fit here. Neither in personality or style. I won't miss him.

And finally, nothing is more amusing than being called names by an obviously uneducated buffoon. I think you meant "may be..." as in two words. Andy may be gone. (actually "might be" is more correct in this context) Not maybe, which means an entirely different thing. But you're likely too stupid to realize how stupid you are.

#17 greenblood0118

greenblood0118

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,794 posts
  • Fan Since:conception

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:07 AM

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO to your post!

You clearly never spent any time at the Vet. There wasn't a louder, more supportive stadium in the world when the team was giving full effort. Eagles fans don't boo indiscriminately. When they boo, the team fully deserves it.

Yeah, just ask Michael Irving and Troy Aikmen.

The Vet to Eagle fans was like wearing an old shoe, it was comfortable. Like all old shoes it wore out. The Linc is a great stadium but the fans never really had much to cheer about there yet. There is no identity to the fans there. We need something to cheer about. Reid deserved the silence. He got back what he gave. Lincoln stadium will eventually come to life and the fans will find their niche there. Lurie built a great stadium but it became as stale as his football program. Can he change both around? Stay tuned Eagle fans. Stay tuned.

Interesting angle...