Photo
- - - - -

Tebow refuses to come into game on plays drawn up for him

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
33 replies to this topic

#1 Jason1978

Jason1978

EMB Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,172 posts
  • Team:Eagles
  • Fan Since:1987

Posted 24 December 2012 - 01:47 PM

I have been trying hard to find something about Tebow that I like. I know he's tough, plays with heart but when you cry like a diva and tell a coach you refuse to play on the plays drawn up for you that is really taking things too far. Who the hell does Tebow think he is? He was NEVER guaranteed a starting or 2nd string job when he chose the Jets and said reguardless of his role he was happy to go there. Even though he hasn't played, pouting like a little diva really isn't going to win any of your doubters over. Mark Sanchez was benched and never complained and never complained about possible trade rumors either but Tebow is telling Rex Ryan what plays he will and wont play on? Get this joke out of the NFL asap.
http://deadspin.com/...dled-malcontent

Tim Tebow Is A Coddled Malcontent

Posted Image

The Jets dressed three quarterbacks for their game against the Chargers yesterday—a game they lost, 27-17. Greg McElroy, the former Alabama quarterback who, evidently, never faced a pass rush while he was there, started, while Tim Tebow and Mark Sanchez backed him up. (Neither was the No. 3 quarterback proper, because No. 3 quarterbacks are not active on NFL gameday rosters.) This was the first game all year that the Jets had dressed three quarterbacks, even though they had plenty of reason to on prior occasions.

But for all the Jets' quarterbacks, the man who threw the game's best pass—a 42-yard bomb to Clyde Gates—was not a quarterback but a wide receiver, Jeremy Kerley, who played quarterback in high school. Kerley ran a handful of plays out of the Jets' wildcat, and he did fine, although one was slightly terrified watching defensive linemen chase after him. (Kerley is five-foot-nine and weighs 188 pounds.) But why was he back there? He hadn't been the wildcat QB all year. Tebow had filled that role. But ESPN explained after the game:

Tebow has been frustrated all season by his lack of playing time, but it culminated Tuesday upon hearing he would be passed over for a starting opportunity when Ryan decided to bench Mark Sanchez. Tebow was disappointed and upset enough to say he didn't want to be used situationally, sources said. He told the Jets coaches early in the week, giving Kerley time to take the practice reps. Soon reports emerged speculating the backup was looking to play outside of New York next season.

And why wouldn't Tim Tebow feel entitled to a job he hadn't earned? Here's Bomani Jones:

While Cam Newton was at Florida, Tebow wasn't the most talented quarterback on campus. After winning the Heisman Trophy, according to sources, he was outperformed by Newton in both practice and the ‘08 Spring game, yet Tebow (understandably) remained the starter. Newton was promised an opportunity to start in ‘08, but he never had a real chance given Urban Meyer's affection and preference for Tebow. At Senior Bowl practices in 2010, Tebow was so bad at taking snaps that shotgun elements from the Florida offense were added for him. That's right — his college offense was incorporated at the NFL's biggest job fair, one at which Tebow needed to show he could play a more conventional style of football.

Who knew so many well worn sports-media tropes could collide in one player? Tim Tebow is the plucky winner who rides his leadership and intangibles to greatness. Tim Tebow is also the overrated prima donna, the one who grumps over limited playing time and sulks and eventually quits on his team before demanding a trade. All things to all men, this guy. Which one is the real Tim Tebow? Find out by tuning in to Jaguars games in fall 2013

#2 Bdawk330

Bdawk330

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,178 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 01:53 PM

Good for him

#3 Jason1978

Jason1978

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 16,172 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 01:59 PM

What has Tebow done that someone like free agent and fellow first round bust Vince Young hasn't done? Both continue to live off their college careers, both are total divas, both suck at their job. VY too took a team to the playoffs, had a decent w/l record...he even was offensive rookie of the year and went to the Pro Bowl TWICE!!

Only difference right now is the worst team in the NFL, 2-13 Jacksonville is the only team interested in Tebow because he is from that area while nobody is interested anymore in Young. The Jags, who badly need a QB will likely have the 1st or 2nd pick and pass on one for Tebow.

#4 yonushonis

yonushonis

Backup

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts
  • Fan Since:1972

Posted 24 December 2012 - 02:01 PM

Tebow is a joke and his band of followers are a bigger joke. Did the Jets give this bum a signing bonus? Because he should surrender it back for being insubordinate.

#5 Gmen4ever

Gmen4ever

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 15,160 posts
  • Team:Giants
  • Fan Since:Conception

Posted 24 December 2012 - 02:02 PM

He knows the Jests screwed him out of a year of possible playing time elsewhere. They traded for him for one reason: The hype and the media circus that surrounds him, and nothing more. They had no intention of giving him a shot, so why should he bow down to them when they feel like putting him in all of a sudden? F the Jests, and good for Tebow for not buying into their bull****.

#6 evilwaldo

evilwaldo

EMB Fossil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,720 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 02:31 PM

He knows the Jests screwed him out of a year of possible playing time elsewhere. They traded for him for one reason: The hype and the media circus that surrounds him, and nothing more. They had no intention of giving him a shot, so why should he bow down to them when they feel like putting him in all of a sudden? F the Jests, and good for Tebow for not buying into their bull****.

:roll:

#7 Footballman175

Footballman175

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 14,912 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted 24 December 2012 - 02:32 PM

Tebow standing up for himself. Good for him

#8 eaglenugget

eaglenugget

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,665 posts
  • Fan Since:birth

Posted 24 December 2012 - 02:34 PM

Good for Tebow. Kicked out of Denver and put on a shelf by the Jets. He doesn't deserve anything, but he's shown he can win games and atleast deserves a shot somewhere else. If a system like Carolina's and Washingtons can work for Cam and RGIII there can be one for Tebow.

#9 gibsonplyer

gibsonplyer

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 10,084 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 02:39 PM

Tebow picked them over Jacksonville. He made his own bed.

Not surprised by this at all. I felt he undermined the other QBs in Denver last year before being put in.

Good for Tebow. Kicked out of Denver and put on a shelf by the Jets. He doesn't deserve anything, but he's shown he can win games and atleast deserves a shot somewhere else. If a system like Carolina's and Washingtons can work for Cam and RGIII there can be one for Tebow.

Both are MUCH better passers.

#10 snoopdogg88

snoopdogg88

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 10,147 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 02:49 PM

Tebow and the Jets were a horrible match from the start.

with that said, I think Tebow will be out of the NFL within 3 years

#11 CaliEagle

CaliEagle

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 21,038 posts
  • Fan Since:1978

Posted 24 December 2012 - 02:55 PM

Tebow most likely was thinking about endorsement possibilities over the best possible fit when he chose NY. The Jets are a completely screwed up organization. Jax is, too. But, at least in Jax he would've been playing more.

#12 Jason1978

Jason1978

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 16,172 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 03:37 PM

Vince Young was 30-17 as a starter, made two Pro Bowls, made it to the playoffs once

Mark Sanchez is 32-30 as a starter, IS 3-3 in the playoffs, made it to two AFC championship games

Tim Tebow is 7-6 as a starter, made it to the playoffs once

None of them deserve a starting job in the NFL but if you base everything on what Tebow HELPED acomplish in Denver, then VY and Sanchez are far more deserving of a starting job too because they have shown they can win games especially VY.

#13 zenclaybourne

zenclaybourne

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • Fan Since:1991

Posted 24 December 2012 - 05:32 PM

Unnamed sources written up by a website that is getting third-hand information is certainly more reliable than anything said by the officials.

Ryan was peppered Monday with questions on Tebow's status, but he declined to address a private conversation with a player. Ryan confirmed Tebow was "disappointed" at not being named the starter, but the coach had no doubts by Sunday that the quarterback would have played if asked.
"If I would have asked Tim to play in anything, Tim would have gone in that game and done that," Ryan said.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000116269/article/report-tim-tebow-told-rex-ryan-on-friday-hed-play

#14 VaBeach_Eagle

VaBeach_Eagle

EMB Fossil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54,769 posts
  • Fan Since:1976

Posted 24 December 2012 - 06:07 PM

If he did refuse and I was in charge, I'd have just said "You do what you're told or you get suspended for conduct detrimental... that will do wonders for your public image, won't it?"

#15 iinvincible

iinvincible

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,162 posts
  • Fan Since:1977

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:08 PM

Brian dawkins as head coach and tim Tebow as our quarterback , thats my dream with kelly greens and astro turf.

#16 gibsonplyer

gibsonplyer

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 10,084 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:31 PM

Brian dawkins as head coach and tim Tebow as our quarterback , thats my dream with kelly greens and astro turf.

So your dream involves us losing every game and massive amounts of injuries?

Love Dawk but there is nothing to say he can coach and Tebow flat out sucks as a QB.

#17 gibsonplyer

gibsonplyer

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 10,084 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:39 PM

Unnamed sources written up by a website that is getting third-hand information is certainly more reliable than anything said by the officials.
http://www.nfl.com/n...friday-hed-play

Really? You want a coach who has the same agent as the player to bad mouth him? Most coaches wouldn't do that any way and none would do it in that situation.

The guy who wouldn't even try to do anything to support his teammate and quell a brewing qb controversy in Denver wouldn't play ball when he didn't get his way? Yeah I buy it. The guy admitted he told his coach late in the week he would do what he had to to help the team when that message shouldn't be necessary?

I could he wrong I admit that but I don't quite buy this team first image people get from him. Its great he wants to start but he should be learning a new.position IMO.

#18 Footballman175

Footballman175

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 14,912 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted 24 December 2012 - 10:09 PM

1-4 denver team to 8-8 division winners and a playoff win against the Defending super bowl champs the pittsburg steelers. And what does Tebow get? Absolute bull**** from the Jets. I would be livid with the organization

#19 cmart102

cmart102

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,843 posts
  • Fan Since:ever?

Posted 24 December 2012 - 11:09 PM

He's collecting a gameday paycheck while refusing to do anything to earn it. Fing hypocrite.

If this was anyone but him people would be absolutely ripping him to shreds

#20 CMPunk

CMPunk

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,875 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 11:11 PM

The amount of retarded posts that I find on here is alarming

#21 zenclaybourne

zenclaybourne

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • Fan Since:1991

Posted 24 December 2012 - 11:47 PM

Really? You want a coach who has the same agent as the player to bad mouth him? Most coaches wouldn't do that any way and none would do it in that situation.

The guy who wouldn't even try to do anything to support his teammate and quell a brewing qb controversy in Denver wouldn't play ball when he didn't get his way? Yeah I buy it. The guy admitted he told his coach late in the week he would do what he had to to help the team when that message shouldn't be necessary?

I could he wrong I admit that but I don't quite buy this team first image people get from him. Its great he wants to start but he should be learning a new.position IMO.

No I don't want any of them to do anything. I am saying that Rex is not exactly known for his tact and he said that Tebow was willing to do anything he asked him to do. I get that people hate the guy, but it isn't like he's refused to play anything but QB. He was the punt protector all season. I also hate these idiotic anonymous sources that are always used and people taking the crappy reports as fact.

#22 rocketman44

rocketman44

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  • Team:49ers
  • Fan Since:1967

Posted 25 December 2012 - 10:04 AM

Tebow and the Jets were a horrible match from the start.

with that said, I think Tebow will be out of the NFL within 3 years

Interestingly, I stated last year that Tebow will be out of the NFL in 2 years. That's a stretch, and I knew it at the time, given his popularity. Three years seems from now seems about right. The only place I can see him going is Jacksonville, because they need help selling tickets. But how long will he be willing to be a sideshow? Even that gig will get old fast if he doesn't play for the Jags and mostly rides the bench.

#23 rocketman44

rocketman44

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  • Team:49ers
  • Fan Since:1967

Posted 25 December 2012 - 10:06 AM

I'll concur on the kelly green part, anyway.

#24 Eagle Jeff

Eagle Jeff

Starter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,307 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 10:31 AM

Tebow did the right thing.

#25 cmart102

cmart102

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,843 posts
  • Fan Since:ever?

Posted 25 December 2012 - 11:15 AM

Tebow did the right thing.

What, collect a paycheck while refusing to work? How noble of him

#26 Boss Hawg

Boss Hawg

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 14,741 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 12:02 PM

Tebow is a joke and his band of followers are a bigger joke. Did the Jets give this bum a signing bonus? Because he should surrender it back for being insubordinate.

They traded for him, so he's still on his original rookie contract. His original contract had $8.7 million in guaranteed money, which I am sure the Broncos wound up paying most of it. He has some incentives, but he obviously hasn't reached any of them while not playing.

As for his move to Jacksonville, I'd be shocked if he starts Week one in 2013. If he does, it's for fan purposes only to get butts in the seats. If he can't beat out Sanchez, he won't beat out Chad Henne. Hell, I'd be shocked if he beat out Gabbert. They say he was that bad in Jets practice.

#27 dawkins4prez

dawkins4prez

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 16,191 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 12:45 PM

What has Tebow done that someone like free agent and fellow first round bust Vince Young hasn't done? Both continue to live off their college careers, both are total divas, both suck at their job. VY too took a team to the playoffs, had a decent w/l record...he even was offensive rookie of the year and went to the Pro Bowl TWICE!!

Only difference right now is the worst team in the NFL, 2-13 Jacksonville is the only team interested in Tebow because he is from that area while nobody is interested anymore in Young. The Jags, who badly need a QB will likely have the 1st or 2nd pick and pass on one for Tebow.

Oh my GOD THIS !

Why does everyone say we have never seen anything like Tim Tebow before. Vince Young anybody? Or an even better example...DOUG FLUTIE!

I've said since they drafted him his best chance to be an NFL QB is go to Canada like Flutie did, take the 4-5 YEARS he needs to fix his delivery and then come back. He is WASTING our time until he does that.

#28 lb7

lb7

EMB Legend

• Banned
  • 13,426 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 08:11 PM

Oh my GOD THIS !

Why does everyone say we have never seen anything like Tim Tebow before. Vince Young anybody? Or an even better example...DOUG FLUTIE!

I've said since they drafted him his best chance to be an NFL QB is go to Canada like Flutie did, take the 4-5 YEARS he needs to fix his delivery and then come back. He is WASTING our time until he does that.

Please explain the Doug Flutie reference before the flame get's too hot?

#29 jmac+djaxallday

jmac+djaxallday

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,346 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:09 AM

The Tebow support in this thread is nauseating. Here is a guy who completed less than 47% of his passes last year, posted a QBR of under 30, CHOSE to join the Jets as a backup, and now throws his hands in the air and says, "I'm done" because things didn't work out the way hey wanted them to. It's dispicable, really. And spare me the, "HE DRAGGED THE BRONCOS TO THE PLAYOFFS" bull ****. Here are the teams he beat on his "great" run last season: Miami, Oakland, Kansas City, the Jets, San Diego, Minnesota, Chicago (minus Jay Cutler), and then the Steelers.

Now let's pick this fraudelent streak apart:

Victory one: The Dolphins victory was a gift from the heavens. With just over five minutes remaining, the potent Tim Tebow had led the Broncos to a grand total of zero points. Then, he pieced together a TD drive with the Dolphins in a prevent defense, the Broncos recovered an onside kick, and then he won the game on the next two series. Give him credit for coming through late, but the facts are, he played a terrible game, and it would have been remembered as such had the Dolphins simply recovered an onside kick.

Victory two: The Broncos stomp the lowly Raiders, 38-24. Tebow plays well, posting a passer rating of over 100 and rushing for nearly 120 yards. Still though, Tebow completes only ten passes on the game and relies heavily on his defense.

Victory three: The Broncos beat the Chiefs 17-10 as Tebow completes TWO (2!!!) passes.

Victory four: Tebow is dominated by the formidable Jets defense, but a Sanchez pick six and a late TD drive wins Denver the game 17-13. Tebow completes just nine passes, posting a passer rating of just over 60.

Victory five: Tebow beats the Vikings 35-32. Tebow plays much better than in previous weeks, but he still only attempts 15 passes and rushes for only 13 yards.

Victory six: Tebow beats the Cutler-less Bears, 13-10, on the back of one of the great miracles in NFL history. Just having to run out the clock, Marion Barber runs out of bounds, giving the Broncos extra life, where Matt Prater kicks a 59 yard FG to tie the game, and then a 51 yard FG in overtime. Tebow plays terribly, yet his gifted another victory from the heavens.

Victory seven: No complaints here - Tebow plays his best game against a tough Steelers defense, and looks like a competent NFL QB in the process.

Of course, I didn't even mention the two beatdowns at the hands of Tom Brady and the Patriots (again, just proving that Tebow can't match points with elite qb's), the 7-3 loss in week 17 in a game Denver thought they needed to win to make the playoffs, or the three picks in the 40-14 loss to Buffalo on Christmas Eve.

Of course, take away the Prater onside kick, and the Marion Barber brain fart, and suddenly we're talking about a 4-5 quarterback (there would have been no playoffs) who managed to lead a talented Denver team to an uninspiring six wins. Now, because of a nice streak against terrible teams, with his defense, kicker, and exterior forces playing more than their share of a role, you have knuckleheads like Skip Bayless screaming to start him because "all he does is win" and mental midgets on TATE echoing this message.

Anybody that puts Tebow in the same breath as Newton, RG3, or even f'in Michael Vick needs to be shot in the nuts immediately. There is a reason only one team is even giving him an invitation to compete for the starting job next year, and in all liklihood that one team just wants to sell tickets more than anything else. The most bothersome thing, though, is that this terrible quarterback who completes less than 47% of his passes, thinks he's "above" the Jets, and thus, too good to participate in the wild card package. And yet people here back him up. Boy will I be happy when there are Blaine Gabbert chants in Jacksonville next year.

#30 brdawk20

brdawk20

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:58 AM

One of my former students is a starter on the Jets. He says that all their QB's suck. Having said that, he went on to say that the Jets' coaching staff, especially their joke of an OC, totally screwed over Tebow. Their wildcat package was a uninmaginative joke, with almost everyone on the defense knowing that Tebow would just run the ball 95% of the time. He said that a lot of players would have just shut it down if they were treated the way Tebow was treated. One thing he said about Tebow was that he wasn't a good QB, but he deserved a chance to start just based on turnovers. Sanchez threw picks in practice like he does on gameday, whereas Tebow does a good job of not making stupid mistakes. Tebow worked hard in practice, but it just seems like no one knows what to do with him.

Anyway, he says he hopes all their QB's are gone after this year because none of them are good, though he thinks that Tebow, if his mechanics were fixed, could be a viable player in the NFL.