Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

The steelers could have fired cowher after 2003...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
28 replies to this topic

#1 bobbywizdum

bobbywizdum

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,964 posts
  • Team:Eagles

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:15 PM

The cowher and reid situations are not nearly as different as people make them out to be. In 2003 the steelers went 6-10 after being 10-5-1 the year before. In 2004 the steelers inserted big ben into their lineup and went to the championship game. Cowher after 14 seasons now ...was ringless just like reid but his team appeared to be on the rise again. Low and behold in season 15 cowher got the steelers over the hump (thanks to some help from the guys in striped shirts) to win the superbowl in his 15th year. Cowher through 14 years had one superbowl appearance just like reid. Why didn't the rooneys pull the plug on cowher after their dismal 2003 campaign? They even knew they were drafting a qb in the first round of 2004. Obviouslly they still believed cowher could get the job done. Ironically he is a name mentioned to come here. People here certainly wouldn't give cowher 15 years of the benefit of the doubt. In fact many thought reid should go after the 2002 season. We possibly have the qb of the future on our roster already. Why wouldn't lurie give reid who had more success than cowher up to that point...the same benefit of the doubt as the rooney's gave cowher when it came to developing the qb of the future and coaching the team?

#2 terilyns

terilyns

EMB Fossil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 63,451 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:17 PM

JESUS CHRIST SHUT THE F UP WITH THIS!!!

#3 bobbywizdum

bobbywizdum

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,964 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:19 PM

i know you want reid gone ...but it is a valid question. People have suggested cowher here. In 14 years with the steelers cowher had less success than reid has had in his 14 years with the eagles.

#4 LaxPlayerX3

LaxPlayerX3

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,763 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:19 PM

First Childress now this BS. JFC :roll:

#5 skipsharp

skipsharp

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:20 PM

This

#6 voodoochile75

voodoochile75

EMB Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,046 posts
  • Fan Since:Disco

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:21 PM

Anyone that wants Cowher is a dingleberry. That's right. I said it.

#7 LaxPlayerX3

LaxPlayerX3

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,763 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:25 PM

Also, guess who they got in 2004. D LeBeau. Yeah sure, let's find ourselves one of the best DCs in the league because its that easy.

#8 voodoochile75

voodoochile75

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 34,046 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:27 PM

Also, guess who they got in 2004. D LeBeau. Yeah sure, let's find ourselves one of the best DCs in the league because its that easy.

You have to look no further than your offensive line coach. It's that easy. Just ask TATE.

#9 bobbywizdum

bobbywizdum

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,964 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:27 PM

First Childress now this BS. JFC :roll:

hey man...i never claimed to want childress. I just think he's an intersting scenerio that hadn't been discussed. I certainly think we have the personel to revive the 3 headed monster if it were to happen. This is more just stating the facts. Cowher's name often enters the conversation of coaches to replace reid. I'm merely saying that the rooney's easily could have dropped cowher after a 6-10 year in 2003. Would people still want him then? i just think there are unrealistic expectations sometimes place upon teams by their fan bases. The main reason for the time to change from reid is because he could never get out of his own shadow here. Since he went to the superbowl and lost..evey year is superbowl or bust. You could tell in training camp this team was not bowl bound. I mean vick couldn't make it through more than six snaps in the preseason and we thought it was bowl or die? I'm saying after 13 years of fan perceived failure in pittsburg ...the rooney's trusted cowher with their first pick of the draft and to mold big ben. Reid has a better history of grooming qb's than cowher and that is where we are right now. This is bowl or bust time its can we get back to playing good football and see improvement in your young qb and team.

#10 voodoochile75

voodoochile75

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 34,046 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:30 PM

hey man...i never claimed to want childress. I just think he's an intersting scenerio that hadn't been discussed. I certainly think we have the personel to revive the 3 headed monster if it were to happen. This is more just stating the facts. Cowher's name often enters the conversation of coaches to replace reid. I'm merely saying that the rooney's easily could have dropped cowher after a 6-10 year in 2003. Would people still want him then? i just think there are unrealistic expectations sometimes place upon teams by their fan bases. The main reason for the time to change from reid is because he could never get out of his own shadow here. Since he went to the superbowl and lost..evey year is superbowl or bust. You could tell in training camp this team was not bowl bound. I mean vick couldn't make it through more than six snaps in the preseason and we thought it was bowl or die? I'm saying after 13 years of fan perceived failure in pittsburg ...the rooney's trusted cowher with their first pick of the draft and to mold big ben. Reid has a better history of grooming qb's than cowher and that is where we are right now. This is bowl or bust time its can we get back to playing good football and see improvement in your young qb and team.

It's funny, when Coughlin's job was on the line, the Giants went on runs to win the Super Bowl.

Andy's comes into question the last two years and he has two of his worst seasons.

Yeah, Andy's clutch. He's been righting the ship, as he says, for about 7 years now. How's that been working out?

#11 HarborTheClay

HarborTheClay

Backup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:30 PM

Whoever has made these big changes the last few years...coaching choices/talent choices/scheme choices is to blame. It's up to Lurie to find out who started this mess and go from there.

If that is Reid, then goodbye. If that is Howie, then goodbye. I hope we dump who is responsible....and yes, I realize that Reid may have had final say in all of the above. But may have are the words. He can say he had complete control and that these were his choices, but I would want to know for sure.

I don't get how he can go from being a regular championship caliber coach for so many years to not sniffing it in what seems like forever. Perhaps he did just get stale and people caught up with him, not that he was the best, but he did take us far many a time. Or perhaps there has been a behind the scenes power struggle.

Either way, Lurie needs to right things. However that is done.

#12 bobbywizdum

bobbywizdum

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,964 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:35 PM

It's funny, when Coughlin's job was on the line, the Giants went on runs to win the Super Bowl.

Andy's comes into question the last two years and he has two of his worst seasons.

Yeah, Andy's clutch. He's been righting the ship, as he says, for about 7 years now. How's that been working out?

i;ll give it coughlin his teams show up in the playoffs exept of coarse whenever he has had to go head to head with reid. Here is my question though? Why can't he get his team to play in the regular season? They are the most mind bogglingly inconsistent team i have ever seen.

#13 Pegger

Pegger

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 11,270 posts
  • Fan Since:1988

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:37 PM

Completely different situations. The Steelers are run by the Rooney family. Coaches are essentially their employees that have little to now descretion on how the team is built. They have always had a build through the draft approach and have avoided spending in free agency or being active in making trades. It's tough to fully blame the employee for the end result when they don't have that much control.

As for Reid he is the identy of this current team. He's brought in the players, coaches and systems. If you want to blame someone for Juan being the DC, Washburn not working out or players not giving the effort that's all on his head. Chin never had that kind of authority in Pitt, so he couldn't be accountable when one of those areas broke down.

#14 bobbywizdum

bobbywizdum

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,964 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:42 PM

Completely different situations. The Steelers are run by the Rooney family. Coaches are essentially their employees that have little to now descretion on how the team is built. They have always had a build through the draft approach and have avoided spending in free agency or being active in making trades. It's tough to fully blame the employee for the end result when they don't have that much control.

As for Reid he is the identy of this current team. He's brought in the players, coaches and systems. If you want to blame someone for Juan being the DC, Washburn not working out or players not giving the effort that's all on his head. Chin never had that kind of authority in Pitt, so he couldn't be accountable when one of those areas broke down.

if you really think that reid was a one man show in making all of these decisions that is very naive. For the succesful years of the eagles under reid...guess what? we built through the draft and promoted coaching from within. We would sprinkle in a free agent or trade here and there. The players we are currently building around are a direct result of the draft. Mccoy,jackson,maclin,foles,cox,kendricks,etc... Cowher had 14 years without a superbowl but you are saying he had nothing to do with that but reid is at all fault? thats nuts. Why would you stick by a coach with no authority for 15 years lol

#15 voodoochile75

voodoochile75

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 34,046 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:08 PM

Wrap your minds around this.

How many Super Bowls have they won since Cowher left?

Exactly.

#16 bobbywizdum

bobbywizdum

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,964 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:10 PM

Exactly.

1....and?

#17 CaliEagle

CaliEagle

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 21,199 posts
  • Fan Since:1978

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:11 PM

The Eagles should've canned Andy after the 2009 season. To me, the writing was on the wall when we dominated Arizona in 2008 in the regular season and then lost to them less than 6 weeks later in the NFCCG. I would've given Andy the 2009 season and if he didn't take the next step (which he didn't), then he would've been gone. In 2010 we had a good record, but it was pretty clear we weren't going to win it all that year. We should've moved on after 2009.

#18 voodoochile75

voodoochile75

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 34,046 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:11 PM

1....and?

Are you mathicapped?

#19 bobbywizdum

bobbywizdum

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,964 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:14 PM

Are you mathicapped?

they beat the cardinals in 08 that =1.

they lost to the packers in 10...got blown out by denver last year at home and missed the playoffs a bunch of times in between. What is the point?

#20 voodoochile75

voodoochile75

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 34,046 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:22 PM

they beat the cardinals in 08 that =1.

they lost to the packers in 10...got blown out by denver last year at home and missed the playoffs a bunch of times in between. What is the point?

It's apparently going to take you a day or two.

Hint: Cowher didn't leave the team in 1997.

#21 KOJO

KOJO

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 16,572 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:30 PM

Here you go Roberta. You may need these on Monday.

Posted Image

#22 eephraim

eephraim

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 17,942 posts
  • Fan Since:Today

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:39 PM

I'd say one of the best defensive minds in NFL history!

If Reid stays head coach Bobby April is the new D coordinator next year.

#23 L.E.

L.E.

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 19,530 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:12 PM

lol Nuff said.

#24 Pegger

Pegger

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 11,270 posts
  • Fan Since:1988

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:15 PM

if you really think that reid was a one man show in making all of these decisions that is very naive. For the succesful years of the eagles under reid...guess what? we built through the draft and promoted coaching from within. We would sprinkle in a free agent or trade here and there. The players we are currently building around are a direct result of the draft. Mccoy,jackson,maclin,foles,cox,kendricks,etc... Cowher had 14 years without a superbowl but you are saying he had nothing to do with that but reid is at all fault? thats nuts. Why would you stick by a coach with no authority for 15 years lol

When the team had the most success under Reid he was just a coach. He hired good coaches and developed them from within. When he started to get involved in football operations it took away from his ability to be a good coach. He's idea to replace JJ was not to get someone like JJ, but to take the easy in house solution (McDermott). That didn't work. His next solution was to promote Juan. That didn't work. All those moves had his blessing.

To me the whole DC decision was strange and actually seems lazy. The reason why he choose JJ was that he coached against him and remembered how good he was. Reid too the time, thought it through and when the opportunity presented itself he locked him up. If Reid did the same analysis when JJ passed he would have went out and got a highly qualified one that he actually coached against. He settled for the in house solution as opposed to doing the work needed to pick the right person. To me it's becasue he didn't have the time. He was busy looking to extend some contracts, look at prospects and then prepare the curent team to win. He just didn't have the time to make a good decision, so he made the easy one.

#25 LaxPlayerX3

LaxPlayerX3

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,763 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:42 PM

I'd say one of the best defensive minds in NFL history!

If Reid stays head coach Bobby April is the new D coordinator next year.

I was going to say that but people are touchy and I didn't feel like getting someone ****y with me lol

#26 rocketman44

rocketman44

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts
  • Team:49ers
  • Fan Since:1967

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:16 PM

The Reid era might be favorably compared to the Jeff Fisher tenure in Tennessee. Fisher coached there 16 seasons and of those, he took them to one SB appearance, a loss just like Reid, and an AFC Title Game loss plus three Divisional round losses and a Wild Card loss - six appearances in the playoffs. So essentially, Reid's tenure in Philadelphia has been more productive, with 9 playoff appearances.

So the Titans hung with Fisher longer and with somewhat less success than the Eagles have thus far with Reid.

Cowher had 10 playoff appearances, one SB win, and numerous AFC Title Game losses (4), and like Fisher and Reid, some very disappointing campaigns.

My point is that it seems as if this is six of one, a half-dozen of the other. It could be argued that Reid has not been given (assuming he's on his way out) as many chances as the other two. But after about a decade and a half, their time was up, no matter the semantics of more playoff appearances or a couple of campaigns that were bad.

#27 GiveEmTheBoot

GiveEmTheBoot

Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:46 AM

Exactly.

They have won 1 since he left. Tomlin took over the 8-8 Steelers after the 2006 season, won back to back division titles and the 2008 SB.

#28 Dawkins 20

Dawkins 20

EMB Legend

• Members
  • 21,362 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:52 AM

Cowher was also a Carson Palmer shredded knee away from potentially being ringless. Nobody knows how that game plays out if Kimo doesn't tear Palmer's knee to shreds in the first quarter.

#29 700level4life

700level4life

Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,786 posts
  • Fan Since:tommorow

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:34 PM

This.....